• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

I'm a little worried.

My fiance has expressed great interest in this game and plans on playing it alongside me. It was the great character customization and open world that appealed to her, but I'm afraid she might be turned off by the alleged difficulty. She's the sort of person who refuses to even attempt the tutorial level of Demon's Souls, so I'm hoping the game is still accesible enough for the Skyrim set to avoid frustration.

Maybe I'm just being a patronizing douche, maybe she's more badass than I give her credit for.

I'm a little worried.

My fiance has expressed great interest in this game and plans on playing it alongside me. It was the great character customization and open world that appealed to her, but I'm afraid she might be turned off by the alleged difficulty. She's the sort of person who refuses to even attempt the tutorial level of Demon's Souls, so I'm hoping the game is still accesible enough for the Skyrim set to avoid frustration.

Maybe I'm just being a patronizing douche, maybe she's more badass than I give her credit for.

Just let her try the game. Let's see what her thoughts about the game are when the night beckons her to venture yonder.

wanders

I'm a little worried.

She can always hire high level pawns.

Arcteryx

so if you play assasin you can potentially solo the whole game?

It sounds like it will be pretty difficult to solo things, unless you are overleveled. The assassin stuff that people keep mentioning sounds like its more geared towards "oh shit you're the last person in your party alive" type moments, rather than solo-adventuring(but I could be wrong).

Santiako

It sounds like it will be pretty difficult to solo things, unless you are overleveled. The assassin stuff that people keep mentioning sounds like its more geared towards "oh shit you're the last person in your party alive" type moments, rather than solo-adventuring(but I could be wrong).

The assassin augment reads: "When venturing forth alone, str and mag are up by 70% and def and mag def are increased by 30." That sounds like it's made for going solo, not as a last resource.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
She loves the demo. Perhaps if I don't tell her the game is widely considered difficult she won't even notice.

Yup! Don't tell her any more than what she know. Let her enter it fresh and green. By the time the difficulty sets in she will have gotten a nice feel for the game and possibly some attachment as well. :D

branny

The assassin augment reads: "When venturing forth alone, str and mag are up by 70% and def and mag def are increased by 30." That sounds like it's made for going solo, not as a last resource.
Reading that makes me want to make Hit-Girl so much. Imagine that with all the nighttime bonuses.

sublimit

Banned
Apparently Dragon's Dogma has broken the 500,000 pre-order mark in Japan, according to Capcom-Unity. If true, that's amazing news.

Hopefully it will give the right message to other Japanese publishers that there are lots of people even in Japan who like big open-world games instead of the same linear corridor fests that we're getting from them most of the time.

El Sloth

Banned
Hey, look! An OT with actual information and shit that's easy to find and isn't full of huge gaudy images and gifs! Or sometimes just one big png!

Good stuff, Dresden.
She loves the demo. Perhaps if I don't tell her the game is widely considered difficult she won't even notice.
1.Train up badass pawn
2. Tell GF to hire your badass pawn

Pawns seem to make everything easier. After I get my Magic Archer I'll probably just roll with my one Pawn.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

This just about exactly. Even if you attempted to use the augment in a super sayjin fashion it wouldn't really matter since you can just run up to your pawns and one button press shazam them back to life.

Assassin is very much so geared for the solo king. There are weapons skills for stealth kills and silent sneaking (invisible style shit) for super powerful strikes obviously geared towards downing climbable enemies and counter skills for crowd control even while you're being attacked . If there is any class in this game made for excelling without the presence of pawns.. it's the assassin. And STILL going alone will be much harder than mobbing a group. Obviously.

branny

Wouldn't it apply to everyone else, too? I thought augments could be used by any vocation once you have them unlocked; you just have a certain number of slots to work with and need to make choices.

edit: Didn't read the whole thing. loll

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
True. how many augment slots are there? as in ... once you've moved all the classes forward enough to the point where you have an excess of augment options.. how many can you equip?

Am I the only one who is generally against respec'ing?

It would feel weird to me to have a Fighter who occasionally becomes a Sorcerer.

Warrior by day Sorcerer by night.

What would be weird is progressing as a Strider for the most part then changing up your wardrobe into a class that doesn't suit the customizations you made. Cannot carry big sword or too much equipment with my granny mage who now wants to be a Conan the Barbarian. Now I gotta go back into customisation ffs. Or having gone on a journey for so long then being a 50 level mage all of a sudden. The good news is the combat system should be what this game is mostly about.

I also have a feeling some crazy Japanese players will be doing crazy videos like killing a certain boss solo with the most unsuitable class for the situation in record time. And ppl will be like "whoa! DUUDE!! 1 that utube was NUTZ"

Apparently Dragon's Dogma has broken the 500,000 pre-order mark in Japan, according to Capcom-Unity. If true, that's amazing news.

That's fantastic to hear, I'm glad this game's fortunes have had a complete 180° since last e3. I remember quite a few podcasts savaging the game back then, I guess it was pretty messy back then.

Assassin is very much so geared for the solo king. There are weapons skills for stealth kills and silent sneaking (invisible style shit) for super powerful strikes obviously geared towards downing climbable enemies and counter skills for crowd control even while you're being attacked . If there is any class in this game made for excelling without the presence of pawns.. it's the assassin. And STILL going alone will be much harder than mobbing a group. Obviously.

Oh, that's really tempting, I loved sneaking around solo in Skyrim.

Rubikant

Still wondering - when you send your pawn out into the wild does it physically remove him from your group in your game? Making it extremely easy to journey by yourself?

No your pawn is duplicated in other people's games, it doesn't affect your copy. All you have to do is throw them off a cliff and don't revive them and then they are gone until you go back to a rift stone, so its not hard to go solo really.

No your pawn is duplicated in other people's games, it doesn't affect your copy. All you have to do is throw them off a cliff and don't revive them and then they are gone until you go back to a rift stone, so its not hard to go solo really.

There should be a dismiss option to not make it feel so "backstabby/uncivilized" deciding to go solo then hiring same pawn again. Just feels weird throwing them off a cliff all the time you wanna get rid of them lol.

Lucent

Alright! I won one of the contests! =D

Greatest sorcerer contest

But I'm pretty sure it was only because only 16 people (including me) entered when every contest has 30 possible winners. But, either way, persistence wins!

So I've got the DLC to look forward to. Good thing I won that one cuz today they're having people record themselves doing an epic battle cry. =/ I think Saturday or Sunday they said they're having people dress up as an Assassin.

Anteater

Are there no dismiss option at the inn or something? Like sending them back to the rift, since I heard you need to update them or something if you want the new knowledge

LProtag

On the opposite of the Assassin having stuff that makes soloing easier, the Mystic Knight has a lot of augments that make pawns more effective. A lot of stuff like bringing them back to life with more health and stronger strength/magick for a period of time after they're revived.

Lucent

On the opposite of the Assassin having stuff that makes soloing easier, the Mystic Knight has a lot of augments that make pawns more effective. A lot of stuff like bringing them back to life with more health and stronger strength/magick for a period of time after they're revived.

lol. So if I play as Mystic Knight, they'll be screaming "HELP ME, ARISEN!" And I'll be like "Nope! It's better if you die! Trust me!" And they'll look at me all confused before getting slaughtered.

=D

Let's talk DD music. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I love the main menu/theme song. Not from the Demo, but the full game.. The piano turns into a glam rock anthem, but I love it!

Official video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsHAODik54

"Into Free" by Dagan

Don't be embarrassed. If it'll make you feel better, I'll go ahead and admit that after about the 40th time I was forced to listen to it, I decided Eternity from Blue Dragon was the greatest boss music ever created.

OPM uk's review is up http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/review/dragons-dogma-ps3-review/, giving it a 8
simplistic warrior-rogue-mage class choice

I'm starting to wonder if some reviewers bother getting too far into the game

The OPM reviewer MUST have just played a version that did not contain the 9 classes & some pre-beta version where it only contains those 3 classes he mentions.
He just must have, I mean a reviewer not playing enough of a game to understand even the most basic fundamentals of it...
*remembers all those Dark Soul reviews of professional reviewer putting reviews of a game without even beating the first boss*.

Well maybe.

Coldsnap

I sorta want to give my main girl character a lazy eyelid, it's sorta endearing. But maybe that wont play well into a ranger charactor OR maybe it would be super awesome because she would have no depth perception but she still trained to be an archer.

So what version is everyone picking up? I'm leaning toward PS3 since that's where I pick up most non-PC multiplatform games. Well that and I already spent a a lot of time detailing my main girl and pawn.

Though it sucks that I'll have to wait a month for DLC (is that confirmed?) and two months for the RE6 demo.

Derrick01

Banned
So what version is everyone picking up? I'm leaning toward PS3 since that's where I pick up most non-PC multiplatform games. Well that and I already spent a a lot of time detailing my main girl and pawn.

Though it sucks that I'll have to wait a month for DLC (is that confirmed?) and two months for the RE6 demo.

PS3 eventually. Probably when this game inevitably hits the $40 mark 2-3 weeks after release like almost every game does now.

Coldsnap

I was going to do that too, but I can't wait. Nothing to play right now on consoles and it seems right up my alley. Also hearing about how there's a ton of content makes the value proposition much larger.

I'm a little worried.

Has she played MH before? I feel like this game has that sort of vibe, except open-world! I honestly feel that the difficulty is about the same level as MH, if not than slightly more easier, but thats only coming from the demo.

I'm definitely getting ps3, so, if you're trying to swap pawns, hit me up. PSN: itzknickknac
I know I'll be playing this for a long WHILE.. since I'm also taking summer classes.

Also, I'm not that worried about the 2-months delay of RE6.. I'm sure we'll be focused on this game still, at least I am.

I'm SOO HYPEDD!!!! My soul is ready!!!

ironcreed

Banned

I have the PS3 version on the way from the Capcom store. Hopefully will have it tomorrow.

360 when the game hits 30 or less. Can't stand the framerate on the PS3 version. I have a feeling the RE6 demo will be out long before I buy it though.

LProtag

PS3 too. We really should have a pawn thread where we list our PSN/XBL IDs and our pawns with all their abilities so we can facilitate borrowing pawns.

It'd be a nice little database to peruse through to find what you're looking for.

Xevren

Getting it on 360, game looks great and getting pretty excited. Still unsure what to pick. I tend to play mages so I'll probably start that way here too.

Grisby

Moofers

PS3. I buy most of my games for PS3 with exceptions being 360/PC exclusives or multiplayer games that my friends are getting.

Top Bottom