• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drake Joins Other High-Profile Investors in Esports Betting

Zannegan

Oh, that's going to make money. I'm not a fan of most esports games myself, but with the streaming audience being as big as it is and the barrier between impulse/payout being as low as it is (just look at all the money streamers pull in in micro-donations), yeah, that's going to make a whole lot of money.

That said, these startups may get squeezed out fairly quickly as Amazon/Twitch and Google/Youtube integrate a "bet now!" button into their streams. On the other hand, I could see the streaming giants get undercut by content owners as game publishers could create and restrict betting to their own streaming platforms.

For me, this is probably all bad news. It likely means fewer non esports-centric AAA releases from the big players. Even Nintendo will want in on that action, and they aren't above trying to restrict game streaming to their own monetezation platforms as we saw with their Youtube approved creators platform.

For esports fans though, this will be a boon. Contrary to what the article says, I think it will lead to more careful game-ballancing to keep from discouraging betters, which means no-more pay-to-win DLC. Competative events will absolutely be more plentiful for fans, and it will probably also mean that even more esports titles will launch free to play, as more people playing means more people watching means more people betting means more money.

How they'll stop kids under 18 from participating in the gambling side of things, I don't know, but with potential returns that big you can bet they'll find a way to cover their asses.

Last edited:
For esports fans though, this will be a boon. Contrary to what the article says, I think it will lead to more careful game-ballancing to keep from discouraging betters, which means no-more pay-to-win DLC

That is a really good point. I hadn't thought of that. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out in terms of specific examples.

I think in the future some games are going to branched at some point within their development cycle. For instance, call of duty balancing weapons around the competitive scene affects all players. I would expect that at some point call of duty will have a competative build and a casual build with each build receiving different patches.

II'm very interested to see how this increase in legal betting affects the competative esports scene as a whole. Esports leagues will need to have a cohesive regulatory body ensuring fair play. How would it work?

What about game patches that I mentioned about. Who decides when a game gets patches for something like weapon balancing, the game publisher or the esposts league?

jeffsairplane

Neo Member
So, how did it went? I'd love to see him as Dota2 commentator or even announcer. But what's with betting really? I'm having luck with betting on https://mid.bet/ and don't really see the point how a celebrity will affect the betting itself. By supporting a team? Becoming a sponsor?

Top Bottom