• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drake - Nothing Was the Same |OT| - Leader of the New School

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

almost done with it...its clear he finds it a disappointing mess, but enjoyed his prior albums. agree or not, he does get into specific bits that don't quite fit, and i feel like he's co-signing the idea of an R&B album next time around, could be wrong

Toronto rapper Drake is back with his 3rd commercial release, Nothing Was The Same. Here, Drake continues with his lyrical obsession with the tattered relationships of his past, which is fine, but he hops on a gauntlet of nutty trap beats on this LP that are less than flattering to his clean-cut persona.

Err... clean-cut persona?

I mean he's not hood in the slightest but how do you come away from a Drake song thinking he's "clean-cut" considering all Drake does is 1. be petty about past relationships or 2. be unflinchingly open about how shitty he can be?

I agree with them about "Hold on we're going home" being completely out of place.

Its a very catchy and good song, but musically and lyrically it is completely at odds with the rest of the album.
This is how I feel about this song, it doesnt fade into it from the previous song the worst, but just looking back on it when going through the album as a whole, it feels a bit disjointed... not that the song is terrible, just doesn't feel cohesive as the rest.

BTW, anyone like Take Care better than this album? I bought it Tuesday and have listened to the album maybe 3-4 times all the way through and I still think its definitely good, just no where near Take Care.

IrishNinja

prolly the part where no one really believes either, cause they don't see it? that's my guess

in R&B he might not be, but in hip hop yes, drake's persona is absolutely clean-cut, no idea why anybody'd debate otherwise

Nibel

The only person who really evolved with this album is probably 40

Still like it, but Drake repeats a lot of shit

dmshaposv

So the Hold On, We're going home video...

what the fuck does it have to do with the track.

it's almost like because it's a pop drake track that he decided to go in the complete opposite direction for the video to make up for it

hollly shit.

He just took a giant turd on the song with that shitty video. What should've been a romantic/ambient and sensual video. Instead we have gunfire on the best parts of the song.

Drake truly is the softest rapper in the game. And by soft, I mean try too hard to he hard.

Kabuto

Can someone clarify if that is TImbaland on Pound Cake/Paris Morton Music 2 that says the hook? It sounds like him but he doesn't have any credits on the song.

ReMaKe

Yeah. He may be the best out of the current bunch, but he's still a long ways away from Jay, Nas, 3 Stacks, or Em. (Kendrick's nowhere near them either)

Even if Drake feels he's there he should prove it by making/continuing to make better records (like Kendrick wanted), not by whining on the radio to Angie Martinez.

I agree with you on that.
That's an unfair comparison though.
Comparing anyone with EMINEM, Nas, Andre, Tupac, B.I.G is unfair.
I don't ever see him reaching that height or anyone else for that matter.

He's most certainly not the best of the current bunch...Give me Kendrick, Q, Danny Brown, and Big Krit over Drake anyday.

Better in what?
I'm a huge Kendrick fan. Been listening to him since overly Dedicated. Back then I always said he's the best out there (lyrically) and everyone would just laugh. So lyrically I agree.
However, we live in an age where having lyrics is not the end all, there's many people who have better lyrics then Drake, yet Drake owns them all in sales, and it's not even close. His popularity is unmatched. He sales more then kanye, jay, Wayne, I know there not as good as they were before but still.

dream

I dunno man, I like the Hold On, We're Going Home video, but I always find myself clamoring for that late 90s Hype Williams shit where every video was a mini movie.

overcast

Better in what?
I'm a huge Kendrick fan. Been listening to him since overly Dedicated. Back then I always said he's the best out there (lyrically) and everyone would just laugh. So lyrically I agree.
However, we live in an age where having lyrics is not the end all, there's many people who have better lyrics then Drake, yet Drake owns them all in sales, and it's not even close. His popularity is unmatched. He sales more then kanye, jay, Wayne, I know there not as good as they were before but still.
Kendrick is better in every way when it comes to talent, aside from singing. Don't think Des was talking about sales.

"And to these n****s I'm like Windows 7
you let them tell it, they swear they invented you"

Not even..
Cake, cake-cake, cake-cake, cake
500 million, I got a pound cake
Niggas is fronting, that's upside-down cake
Get 'em a red nose, they clown cakes
They shoulda never let you 'round cake
Look at my neck, I got a carrot cake
Now here's the icing on the cake
Cake, cake-cake, cake-cake, uhh

scustya

yeah the part where jay-z just says cake like ten times is fucking insane. this album is great though. don't think about it too much.

HiResDes

Better in what?
Oh yeah I'm most definitely talking about sales and mainstream appeal because that's what defines an artist. ...

Dereck

Better in what?
I started to read this post. Then I saw that you typed out Eminem in all caps.

You wylin'

ReMaKe

Kendrick is better in every way when it comes to talent, aside from singing. Don't think Des was talking about sales.

Not when it comes to conveying emotions/messages/story.

Oh yeah I'm most definitely talking about sales and mainstream appeal because that's what defines an artist. ...

If you read the first half of my post, I somewhat agreed with you. I agree that Kendrick is a better lyricist (Complex lyrics). Even though you weren't comparing them in sales, I still thought it was relevant to throw that out there.

I'm curious to see in what ways you think schoolboyQ, Danny brown, and big krit are better.

Bladenic

Hmmm I think I'm a bit disappointed in this album. Take Care is better, but I find myself thinking Thank Me Later was better too. Perhaps not in overall quality, but there were definitely more songs on that album I used as opposed to here. I dunno. There are definitely some standouts here too though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom