• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drake - Nothing Was the Same |OT| - Leader of the New School

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kallor

Enjoyed: From time, pound cake, Furthest thing, Too much and Tuscan Leather. Good/decent album but nothing really outstanding on it.

Kind of a dumb question but I'm gonna ask anyways: should I buy the mp3 version off Amazon or the buy the AAC version off iTunes? Is there any noticeable difference in quality?

IrishNinja

But show me the lies

aint really know where to start, but since you're so insistent that it's a classic no matter what: lots of people define that word differently. do you think a classic has to have consistently good tracks, or is it okay to have a few skippable ones as long as the highs are particularly good?

Methinks you need some head in a good bed.

always down, but its nice to see you saying something other than those 2 posts where you listed some of the album's worst joints

The poster effingvic thinks anyone can make beats like 40 in their sleep

i totally get why drake stays working with 40 (despite dude sometimes running his mouth); his beats are great & fit his style really well. a lot of what i dug here & the last few albums had his signature all over it.
effingvic also thinks Born Sinner was better somehow so i don't know what to do with that, honestly

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait, Drake is actually mad about that control verse? Lol....
Desperate for press. Means nothing, he'll still dap up Kendrick Lamar while being acutely aware Kendrick is making the entire rest of the game or at least the "new school" look real bad right now, including Drake.

Even if you construe those lyrics as a response to Kendrick (which is a stretch IMO, Drake has been talking similar shit for a hot minute), it's a pretty weak response with no impact. Drake is still mailing his lunch every day to TDE offices like everyone else.

eh? i like the more chill/downtempo ones so from time's keys do it for me, but you're telling me the beat switch on tuscan leather or pound cake don't do it for you?

I'm not shitting on any of the tracks on the album, it's just that beat wise there's nothing that grabbed me as much as Crew Love did back on Take Care.

Tuscan Leather is especially good though.

IrishNinja

another review's up

I give this shit 3.5 Zeus Slaps Outta 5

tumblr_mtnbaoi8cl1rpv1n4o1_500.gif

Favorite songs?
From Time and Paris Morton Music 2 are top-notch. Motion is really good. Started From the Bottom is great and the best radio hit (NOT Hold On We're Going Home, which is trash), and All Me is good.

I love when Drake albums drop... such an interesting time of pop discussion and new music.

Dartastic

Does anyone have a link to that tumblr or whatever that showcases how weak Drake is? I'm trying to show it to a friend because it's hilarious.

Dereck

lol

This shit sound like when your computer crash n you restart the muthafucka n restore the previous session n you got like 3 tabs wit youtube videos open n they all start playin at the same time n shit.

Kendrick is more ambitious, but I think Drake COULD be the better artist if he weren't so lazy. I've never heard Lamar crystallize something quite so well as Drake does on "Marvin's Room", even if it's just an emotion, but Drake would much rather focus on saving strippers who are really "good girls", I guess. Shame.

Man this album smooth. Shame the worst song on here had to have weak ass 2-Chainz and Big Sean in it. Hope he drops it on the radio to validate it's terribleness.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man this album smooth. Shame the worst song on here had to have weak ass 2-Chainz and Big Sean in it. Hope he drops it on the radio to validate it's terribleness.
The only parts of this album I don't like are the rap features, good thing they're few. It's also a good thing that he didn't let Wayne ruin any of his tracks this time around.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
BTW, first time listening to the full album today, and Too Much is probably the highlight of the album, and one of Drake's very bests. That and Pound Cake/PMM2 are gonna be on repeat for awhile. I just wish I could edit out the Jay Z verse. And Hold On is still great even if it's out of place. I'd be down with a 90's inspired smooth R&B/rap crossover album from Drake.

GWX

High points of the album: Dat Puff Daddy verse from Mo Money Mo Problems in Worst Behavior, Hold On We're Going Home (amazing song) and dat Ellie Goulding's Don't Say a Word sample in Pound Cake. Surprisingly good album; haven't enjoyed Drake's music since Best I Ever Had, to be honest.

After about 3 listens, I think I like Furthest Thing, Own It, From Time (mostly the girl singing), Hold On Were Going Home, Come Thru, and All Me.

I expected more but not bad at all. 6.5,7/10

^^ loved the Ma$e verse too!!!

Darko

Wait, Drake is actually mad about that control verse? Lol....

Didn't Aubrey give him a whole song on his album when he was basically unknown by the masses? Not to mention a feature on Kendricks most sucessful single? I'd be mad too.

Im just wondering why he wouldnt be upset that Big Sean said he would "out rap" him on verses, but mad about what Kendrick said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom