• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drake - Nothing Was the Same |OT| - Leader of the New School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninja's right, Drake is good at what he does, but he isn't killing anyone in the rap game. Drake is about as good as Kendrick on Poetic Justice, but Fuckin' Problems, no way man Kendrick murders everyone. And to say NWTS is the best hip hop album this year? Calm down it's a great album, arguably Drake's best, but Acid Rap, Doris, and Long. Live. ASAP (this could be considered 2012) are all better than it.

Acid Rap, Doris, and LLA are 3-4/5 albums at best, and I thought Long Live was really solid. They're not in the same league as NWTS

and funny how if anyone finds something good and people want to disagree with it, they cry "stop stanning", the fact that stupid response is the best they come up with just shows they don't have an intelligent reason as to why this isn't currently AOTY

Acid Rap, Doris, and LLA are 3-4/5 albums at best, and I thought Long Live was really solid. They're not in the same league as NWTS

and funny how if anyone finds something good and people want to disagree with it, they cry "stop stanning", the fact that stupid response is the best they come up with just shows they don't have an intelligent reason as to why this isn't currently AOTY

Considering that you were posting as far back as the Yeezus OT that Drake basically had AOTY on lockdown I don't think it's unfair for people to be questioning your perspective on this.

That's not to say that NWTS isn't good but damn, Acid Rap 3 or 4 out of 5 at best?

Considering that you were posting as far back as the Yeezus OT that Drake basically had AOTY on lockdown I don't think it's unfair for people to be questioning your perspective on this.

That's not to say that NWTS isn't good but damn, Acid Rap 3 or 4 out of 5 at best?

Acid Rap is 3.5/5, has some really solid tracks, but some are very average to below average and you are reminded it's a mixtape album. Overall I enjoyed the project

The reason I was predicting NWTS would be AOTY was because Take Care is a modern classic, so expectations were high. I still look at things objectively, if it was a dud I would have called it so and moved on

njean777

Well it is still to early as OLD hasn't released yet, and neither has Oxymoron. So calling it AOTY already is premature. If you are going off of popularity then we all know popular does not always mean best (looks at Jay-Z). Not saying this album is bad, far from it.

Looking forward to Old and new schoolboy album (whenever that comes out), but it's unfair to them to place them against Drake at this point in their career (and no I'm not talking about sales)

njean777

The thing I like about Drake is he can make pop hits like nothing, but on his albums he gets into some deep stuff that you just never see from him on the radio.

overcast

Looking forward to Old and new schoolboy album (whenever that comes out), but it's unfair to them to place them against Drake at this point in their career (and no I'm not talking about sales)
What does that mean? Danny raps circles around Drake and XXX is better than anything Drake has made. I (obviously) prefer Q as well.

They aren't fucking with him sales wise, but there is no reason to think they aren't as good.

What does that mean? Danny raps circles around Drake and XXX is better than anything Drake has made. I (obviously) prefer Q as well.

They aren't fucking with him sales wise, but there is no reason to think they aren't as good.

I'm a fan of XXX, but the album is really hit or miss, I wouldn't say it's better then TMN let alone TC or NWTS

and schoolboy q is also pretty overrated, can get boring at times, the way Kendrick destroyed him on collard greens shows why

overcast

For a 19 track album XXX has a pretty great ratio of good to bad songs. I think I like them all at least a bit. I would say Take Care is definitely hit and miss.. I honestly can't begin to seriously compare Thank Me Later to any of these albums in discussion. Not even a good album.

Please, Q isn't anywhere close to boring. Especially compared to Drake. Both of the guys mentioned have much more interesting deliveries than Drake. Drake's sound lends itself to being described as "boring". This is coming from a guy who likes Nothing Was The Same, but songs like 305 to My City, and From Time aren't overly interesting honestly.

IrishNinja

Drake got the best on Kendrick on poetic justice and fuckin problems

Truth that Drake has the best hip hop album this year, easily, seems to upset you

you obviously heard other cuts of those joints than i did; they were on par at best. "got the best" is some shit you say when em runs over jigga on renegade, or again, what kendrick did to big sean & jay elec recently. you're ignoring scale here.

and its entirely possible this one will be in my top 3 of the year (we're only in september here) so the fact i'm not cheering loud enough is upsetting someone, but it's not me
only thing i'm bothered by is the way you want to play the pyrext wearing coli hypebeast and make a simple hip hop OT feel like a low-rent pop-gaf production, minus the gifs and charisma

215142644_nghU5-L-2.jpg

it's because that's what you sound like right now. could this be AOTY for many on here? possibly! depending on how much you listen to this year & how well that crossover sound finds you, yeah there's not much in that lane that's nearly as enjoyable for me. i'm saying this having rated Take Care in my top 3 before and again saying NWTS will prolly do so again...but drizzy isnt Budden, and doesn't really need internet hype warriors like this though, so again, calm down

The reason I was predicting NWTS would be AOTY was because Take Care is a modern classic, so expectations were high. I still look at things objectively, if it was a dud I would have called it so and moved on

arguments about classics aside, calling the next joint one based on the prior really paints a picture, man. and no man looks at anything objectively, least of all in this thread you, after portraying drake as a modern Eminem who eats other MC's...i really don't know why people want to include this ability on their favorite dude's resumes. i love Wu, Tribe, dudes like Shad etc...none of them do that, its just not their thing.

This dude Drake talking reckless on CRWN today.

“That ['Control'] verse was a moment to talk about. Are you listening to it now, though?,” he asked, hushing all 850 attendees at NYU’s Skirball Center, including Wilson. Drake continued: “He didn’t come in there on some wild, ‘I’m in New York, fu*k everybody.’ I almost wish he had come in there on that sh*t because I kind of lost a little bit of respect for the sentiment of the verse,” Drake said. “If it’s really ‘fu*k everybody’ then it needs to be ‘fu*k everybody’. It can’t just be halfway.”

Is he wrong tho?

"Come Thru" is really good. One of my faves on this album.

Yeezus is still AOTY. Drake will kill it easily sales wise though.

The thing I like about Drake is he can make pop hits like nothing, but on his albums he gets into some deep stuff that you just never see from him on the radio.

"Fear" is one of my favorite Drake tracks. It also had some incredible production.

you obviously heard other cuts of those joints than i did; they were on par at best. "got the best" is some shit you say when em runs over jigga on renegade, or again, what kendrick did to big sean & jay elec recently. you're ignoring scale here.

and its entirely possible this one will be in my top 3 of the year (we're only in september here) so the fact i'm not cheering loud enough is upsetting someone, but it's not me
only thing i'm bothered by is the way you want to play the pyrext wearing coli hypebeast and make a simple hip hop OT feel like a low-rent pop-gaf production, minus the gifs and charisma

215142644_nghU5-L-2.jpg

it's because that's what you sound like right now. could this be AOTY for many on here? possibly! depending on how much you listen to this year & how well that crossover sound finds you, yeah there's not much in that lane that's nearly as enjoyable for me. i'm saying this having rated Take Care in my top 3 before and again saying NWTS will prolly do so again...but drizzy isnt Budden, and doesn't really need internet hype warriors like this though, so again, calm down

arguments about classics aside, calling the next joint one based on the prior really paints a picture, man. and no man looks at anything objectively, least of all in this thread you, after portraying drake as a modern Eminem who eats other MC's...i really don't know why people want to include this ability on their favorite dude's resumes. i love Wu, Tribe, dudes like Shad etc...none of them do that, its just not their thing.

First of all, you talking about simple hip hop OT and low rent pop GAF production.... the fuck? I'm not trying to win some e-dick forum award, just made a thread for people to discuss the album, you can take any other of that bullshit you value somewhere else

As far as the rest of your post is concerned, a great album should be celebrated, and let's be honest, a hyped album rarely lives up to its billing (Yeezus, Magna Cater Holy Grail), so let's enjoy the moment for what it is. A sonically beautiful album and something that blends r&b and rap and does each better then most albums do it in their specific field. Sure I may seem to be a cheerleader of this album but the dismissing everything as "being a Stan" is weak as it doesn't address what's really happening.

kamspy

The album definitely has it's moments, but it's a step back from Take Care.

It's almost like another rapper producer duo (which is what Drake basically is, dude doesn't exist without 40) did their best Take Care knock off.

The beats are dope, but no where near the sonic shit on TC. Just go right down track for track between the two albums and it's not even close on the production.

They lyrics I can take or leave. I can appreciate that the guy has really been honing the physical fundamentals of a really nice flow, but like PP said a few times, he's not saying anything. This is coming from a Gucci Mane fan. It's just not compelling. It's like the diary of a passive aggressive brat.

It's actually a goddam testament to Drake and 40's production values that this album is good, considering the content.

"Baby it's late, would you mind pumping the gas?"

IrishNinja

First of all, you talking about simple hip hop OT and low rent pop GAF production.... the fuck? I'm not trying to win some e-dick forum award, just made a thread for people to discuss the album, you can take any other of that bullshit you value somewhere else

...you sure? cause the way you're taking umbrage at anyone not instantly ready to call this a classic/AOTY says you on a mission. my whole point was that you could enjoy shit without actin like dude just dropped some Ready to Die shit

As far as the rest of your post is concerned, a great album should be celebrated, and let's be honest, a hyped album rarely lives up to its billing (Yeezus, Magna Cater Holy Grail), so let's enjoy the moment for what it is. A sonically beautiful album and something that blends r&b and rap and does each better then most albums do it in their specific field. Sure I may seem to be a cheerleader of this album but the dismissing everything as "being a Stan" is weak as it doesn't address what's really happening.

i liked Yeezus but get where others don't...still, again i'm not disagreeing with celebrating a good album here, just the extent you're takin it. if just sayin that you're stanning it up alone doesn't work, would you rather we go over each track in detail? because i can tell you right now there's a lot more on here for me to like than not, but its not something i come off of saying drizzy's on another level lyrically/eating MC's/ etc etc, is the thing

Takuan

It's a good album, might like it more than take care but I need to give it a real listen. I agree with that review someone linked that mentioned how the radio track is really out if place, it definitely sounds like it should be on a separate album. Otherwise, I like what I heard.

Mr.Fresh

Wow this album blew me away. 40 is a god. Tuscan Leather is an amazing song. Damn this is way better then Take Care in my opinion.

...you sure? cause the way you're taking umbrage at anyone not instantly ready to call this a classic/AOTY says you on a mission. my whole point was that you could enjoy shit without actin like dude just dropped some Ready to Die shit

Lol @ "you sure", thanks for proving you're more worried about forum rep and Internet points

And many people have spoke negatively about the this album in this thread without me trying to counter them, so you can end your exaggerated bullshit point of "taking umbrage at anyone not instantly ready to call this a classic/AOTY".

You worry about trying to look cool on gaf trying to have cool OPs and make high budget pop gaf threads, whatever the fuck means, I'll worry about just discussing the topic of this thread

IrishNinja

shoulda figured a dude named Ken Masters would be good at projecting

Lol @ "you sure", thanks for proving you're more worried about forum rep and Internet points

literally have no idea where you're getting that from, but since you're clearly not interested in discussing the album itself even after that "intelligent reasons why this isn't AOTY" mess...keep movin them goalposts i guess

And many people have spoke negatively about the this album in this thread without me trying to counter them, so you can end your exaggerated bullshit point of "taking umbrage at anyone not instantly ready to call this a classic/AOTY".

true, you aint reply to every single shot taken, so i guess even after calling yourself a cheerleader here that balances out somehow

You worry about trying to look cool on gaf trying to have cool OPs and make high budget pop gaf threads, whatever the fuck means, I'll worry about just discussing the topic of this thread

oh, you discussin it alright
"hip hop legend"
"nobody on his level"
"classic"

etc etc, then fronting like i'm the mad one just because i pointed out that s-rank stannery (after several others did likewise)
for real if calling shit a classic before it even drops doesn't prove the problem here, rational thought has failed so yeah, let's just run with me trying to be coolby engaging you & replying to your hyperbole in a reasonable manner, fuck was i thinking there really

shoulda figured a dude named Ken Masters would be good at projecting

literally have no idea where you're getting that from, but since you're clearly not interested in discussing the album itself even after that "intelligent reasons why this isn't AOTY" mess...keep movin them goalposts i guess

true, you aint reply to every single shot taken, so i guess even after calling yourself a cheerleader here that balances out somehow

oh, you discussin it alright
"hip hop legend"
"nobody on his level"
"classic"

etc etc, then fronting like i'm the mad one just because i pointed out that s-rank stannery (after several others did likewise)
for real if calling shit a classic before it even drops doesn't prove the problem here, rational thought has failed so yeah, let's just run with me trying to be coolby engaging you & replying to your hyperbole in a reasonable manner, fuck was i thinking there really

I said "I may seem to be a cheerleader" because I support the album, didn't call myself one, but if you're going to twist what I say to continue your corny shtick of stan jokes "s-rank stannery"? really? That's the best you could do?

stick to dropping coli smilies, let others have the rational discussion

IrishNinja

With all the hip hop albums dropped this year and from what we've heard so far from this album, it's going to be hip hop AOTY

But there wasn't much doubt in that anyway

After multiple spins this might reach classic status

Not just commercially, pure talent wise he's on another level

...and he's already proven rap wise he will kill anyone on their own shit

Truth that Drake has the best hip hop album this year, easily, seems to upset you

Hip hop legend

Drake with back to back modern classics

Like there was any doubt though

Drake batting 1.000

...That's the best you could do?

stick to dropping coli smilies, let others have the rational discussion

life's about working with the material you're given
and there's no way you're invoking coli (much less rational discussion) without some irony here; this is exactly the kinda hypebeast nonsense that belongs there, or KTT - for real, popGAF is more subtle about major releases than this, think about that. i know some people shat up page 1 but that always happens, no need to double down as a defense force reaction

you feel like talkin bout the album itself without reaching SSJ4 levels though, i'm here

and there's no way you're invoking coli (much less rational discussion) without some irony here; this is exactly the kinda hypebeast nonsense that belongs there, or KTT - for real, popGAF is more subtle about major releases than this, think about that. i know some people shat up page 1 but that always happens, no need to double down as a defense force reaction

you feel like talkin bout the album itself without reaching SSJ4 levels though, i'm here

But show me the lies

And the SSJ4 line, I literally Lol, i figured someone as predictable would use that exact reference next

DMeisterJ

Banned

Methinks you need some head in a good bed.

This album will deff reach "classic" status with all the fans claiming its a classic. Nice album, but deff doesn't give me chills the way a few other new gen releases did. Lots of tracks are dope, but lyrically to me it isn't some next level ish. Need to give it a few more spins though.

overcast

There really is no "vs" debate. If we're talking about pure rap skill Kendrick beats drake with ease.
Definitely. In every single way aside from making hits and singing, Kendrick has Drake beat. Lets not act like Kendrick doesn't consistently make better songs than Drake.

Oh shit, this thread is about to be derailed. I'm still listening to this album though.

Animal

Banned
I've been listening to this album solid for two weeks. First listen didn't go down so well.

Now I can't stop listening to it. I just might like it more than Thank Me Later.

Noirulus

This album is on repeat at the moment. Loving it. Favorite tracks are "From Time", "Hold on We're Going Home", "Too much", "Worst Behavior", and "Come Thru"

Jhene Aiko's voice dayumm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom