• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drama at Kotaku

MiguelItUp

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Honestly, way back in the day I thought Kotaku was a solid site. Then it started doing articles that, y'know, didn't revolve around games. Then came all of the "culturally and socially acceptable" topics. Along with all of the gross and click bait-y ass articles, it was all disgusting.

I can't even count the amount of times me and my former co-workers used to roll our eyes and laugh about their articles.

So, how long does Polygon have? We taking bets?

Last edited:
Kotaku forever

giphy.gif

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Jason Rat Schreier better learn to code i guess
He is one of the most respected, recognizable, and well connected names in game journalism at the moment. If he loses his job he would have a new one within a day if he wanted to.

I get that not everyone likes him, but to pretend that he would be out of a job for long is kind of silly.

Last edited:

Pejo

Kotaku was a great place to get some non-biased info on games, pop culture and entertainment. I don't know what we're going to do without......

Oh fuck that I can't even joke about it, fuck that place and good riddance. They're one of the major players in the downfall of videogames in the past 6+ years, all the way back to the gamergator gaslighting bullshit.

Saber

Gold Member
Gods be praised.

I know that I shouldn't support people losing their jobs, but screw them. Gods be praised.

Last edited:

Hugare

"Hey guys, bombard our bosses about how much you hate their marketing decisions, here's the email."

"Oh wow, I got fired today!"

Hmm.
Yes, this

Fucking ridiculous. Resolve the problem internally, for fucks sake.

Calling out your bosses stupid decisions in an article ...

Bold move, paid off as well as one could have imagined

Let it burn.

Shame that Jason character will slip his way into another job quite easily. Even seen people suggesting he set up a patreon so they can fund him. Absolutely disgusting. I wish he would disappear from the gaming industry.

I get the problem with Kotaku, but why are you guys against Jason?

I dont remember him writting a stupid article on Kotaku, and his investigative material was ace

Last edited:

NickFire

"It's fair to say that we operate with the understand that sports, games or anything else exist within contexts of politics and culture. It's not particularly possible to talk about these things without talking about the world they're made in and the messages they impart."

LOL BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Actually yes, it is entirely possible to talk about sports or games without preaching about underlying messages you believe either exist or should exist within an athletic competition or video game. For every Rocky 4, there have been several million or billion sporting events that were discussed without anyone seeing some shadowy message, or feeling cheated by the games outcome due to the lack of a socially proper message. Newsflash - sports in general are not political. The only people who make it political are the actual people politicizing it. And oh yeah, the video game industry did just fine in the decades before Mario was an evil misogynist who perpetuated the myth that princesses need to be saved by a heroic male.

"It's fair to say that we operate with the understand that sports, games or anything else exist within contexts of politics and culture. It's not particularly possible to talk about these things without talking about the world they're made in and the messages they impart."

LOL BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Actually yes, it is entirely possible to talk about sports or games without preaching about underlying messages you believe either exist or should exist within an athletic competition or video game. For every Rocky 4, there have been several million or billion sporting events that were discussed without anyone seeing some shadowy message, or feeling cheated by the games outcome due to the lack of a socially proper message. Newsflash - sports in general are not political. The only people who make it political are the actual people politicizing it. And oh yeah, the video game industry did just fine in the decades before Mario was an evil misogynist who perpetuated the myth that princesses need to be saved by a heroic male.
That tweet is easily one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever read.

NickFire

He is one of the most respected, recognizable, and well connected names in game journalism at the moment. If he loses his job he would have a new one within a day if he wanted to.

I get that not everyone likes him, but to pretend that he would be out of a job for long is kind of silly.
I do agree with you, but I can't help myself. So I fixed your post below.

He is one of the most respected, recognizable, and well connected quarterbacks names in football at the moment. If he loses his job he would have a new one within a day if he wanted to.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Is it about that?

Seems to me that they are against the auto play videos and have voiced concern in the wrong way. Make it public, deal with the consequences. I agree with them, but they probably should have hashed this out privately with the owners.

But then again, live by clickbait tactics, die by clickbait tactics.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I do agree with you, but I can't help myself. So I fixed your post below.

He is one of the most respected, recognizable, and well connected quarterbacks names in football at the moment. If he loses his job he would have a new one within a day if he wanted to.

I don't get it?

-MD-

I used to read Kotaku daily for years but it hasn't been worth visiting in at least 10 years.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I never wish for anyone to lose their job but the imbalance at kotaku was fucking insane. I dont like Schrier as a person because hes a tool imo but his writing on his deep dives to what happened to certain games were always very fascinating. He should do that full time and leave everything else behind.

Pidull

Good riddance. Used to appreciate Kotaku but they have been on a steady decline into garbage for longer than I can remember. At this point the only thing I'd miss is Kinja Deals.

Hope they land on their feet regardless, and maybe learn something from this. Maybe how to code.

zeorhymer

So Barry got fired because he didn't follow what his boss told him to do.....What's the issue?
I get the problem with Kotaku, but why are you guys against Jason?
He's a piece of shit. One example is when a YouTuber exposed a giant leak where E3 made available to the public the names, address and numbers of press attendees. Jason threw her under the bus and spun it around saying that if she didn't cover it, the leak wouldn't have mattered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom