• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gbiz] G/O Media reportedly fires Kotaku editor-in-chief Patricia Hernandez

kotaku_vluNoBi.jpg

Kotaku editor-in-chief Patricia Hernandez has reportedly been fired following a personnel disagreement.

That's according to journalist Shannon Liao, who spoke to Hernandez after she announced via social media that yesterday was her last day at the site.

According to Liao's Updater newsletter, Hernandez now plans to focus on freelance writing. There were no further details on the disagreement that led to Hernandez's dismissal.

"When leadership is, say, getting frustrated at you for writing about Tears of the Kingdom after it release, I do think there's a limit to how much things can flourish," she told Updater.
GamesIndustry.biz has reached out to G/O Media for comment, but has yet to receive a response at the time of publication.

Hernandez originally worked for Kotaku as a freelancer before eventually joining the team and rising to deputy editor. After a time at Polygon as culture editor, she returned to Kotaku in 2021 as editor-in-chief.
Last year, a union representing staff from Kotaku, Gizmodo and other G/O Media went on strike over better salaries, parental leave, and healthcare, among other things. The union reached an agreement with G/O Media after four days.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
About 10 years late. All your readers tried to tell you she was the worst person you'd ever hired from the second she started. Then you promoted her to Editor in Chief lol.

I'll never forget when she got corrected by Stephen Tortilla in the comments after trying to tell the commenters that a game dev was likely guilty of sexual harassment simply because its statistically likely, not because they had any evidence at all. He shut her down and seemed genuinely surprised that she thought this way. This was like 2012 or so.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Wasn't it the one who wrote an article that speculated that men beating women in video games might somehow be rape? Didn't it also demand that the creator of Cards Against Humanity use the allegations against him as a platform to bring awareness to sexual assault instead of using that time to defend himself? Wasn't it also known to get combative with viewers in the comments section?

YuLY

The only mainstream gaming site that deserves to still be around is IGN, because of things like not bending the knee to degenerates regarding Hogwarts Legacy and other such situations. Besides that, the small sites which are usually non agenda pushing are the only ones that deserve to survive. Fuck Kotaku and Polygon the most.

Puscifer

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

“Personnel disagreement” - wonder how much of a meltdown that was.
Honestly they probably told them no more clickbait and to write about games like it's the 90s to mid 2000s again and you know she lost her shit and I'm kinda here for it TBH.

Polygon and Kotaku were both pretty cool for a couple years then the cracks started showing. At this point unless you're a YouTuber making content for the actual hell of it and out of passion I find it hard to really care about a written article anymore since they've tainted it so much.

Puscifer

The only mainstream gaming site that deserves to still be around is IGN, because of things like not bending the knee to degenerates regarding Hogwarts Legacy and other such situations. Besides that, the small sites which are usually non agenda pushing are the only ones that deserve to survive. Fuck Kotaku and Polygon the most.
Gamespot had a few moments with me over how often they started handing out 10s over the years but that review you could tell they were towing the line and I hated it, like they had to find reasons to justify the 6.

YCoCg

Her/They writing for Kotaku was the start of the downfall, her/their articles were always soo combative and clickbaity and they always just came across with a chip on their shoulder. Her/them taking over as EIC was truly was the point when Kotaku just fell off into irredeemable territory. There's also reports that behind the scenes she/they were abusive to the staff and was a general shit to work with so maybe it has finally bit her/they in the ass.

Top Bottom