• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen Totilo leaves Kotaku

Bullet Club

Stephen Totilo leaves Kotaku​

Editor-in-chief departs after almost a dozen years with the site, will remain in journalism

Kotaku editor-in-chief Stephen Totilo is leaving the site for an as-yet unannounced journalism job that will allow him to continue covering games.

Totilo announced his departure in a post on Kotaku today.

"Today's my last day, as I gear up for a glorious month of vacation," Totilo said. "Maybe I can go for some long runs, teach my kids to ride bikes, actually finish Assassin's Creed Valhalla (does it ever end?).

"Then I'll start my new thing, still journalism about video games and more of a return to a time when I was writing and reporting my own stuff. I've missed a lot in recent years."

Totilo joined Kotaku in 2009 as deputy editor. He became editor-in-chief in 2012, taking the role over from Brian Crecente, who had left to co-found Polygon.

Prior to Kotaku, Totilo worked as a reporter covering the games beat for MTV news for a four-year stretch.

Source: Games Industry

Kuranghi

He couldn't spare a few hours to teach his kids to ride bikes?!?? Maybe I was a fast learner but I don't exactly remember my dad being out there for weeks on end cheering me on.

"Sorry son I can't help you learn to ride a bike this week, I have to go back to work, its been 3 weeks and they're getting annoyed"

Last edited:
Kotaku

throw up team america GIF

Kuranghi

I remember genuinely enjoying reading Kotaku back in like 2008

Indeed, and Rock Paper Shotgun for me, but I came to that later, (it started in 2007) not long before it started its downwards trend.

What websites are worth reading nowadays? I tend to listen to a few youtubers and see what my friends and people here are saying, I know what I like anyway but I like to get hyped through others. In fact Easy Allies is the only group I consistently follow now.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Kotaku good place to read news after you have seen it at dozen other places...

Last edited:

-MD-

Indeed, and Rock Paper Shotgun for me, but I came to that later, (it started in 2007) not long before it started its downwards trend.

What websites are worth reading nowadays? I tend to listen to a few youtubers and see what my friends and people here are saying, I know what I like anyway but I like to get hyped through others. In fact Easy Allies is the only group I consistently follow now.

Easy Allies are the only thing I follow these days too.

Just curious, but what do people hate about Kotaku again? There's always been plenty of alternative sites to get news and ignoring specific sites/writers is easy as fuck. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Harts316

Just curious, but what do people hate about Kotaku again? There's always been plenty of alternative sites to get news and ignoring specific sites/writers is easy as fuck. 🤷‍♂️

Ground Zero for force feeding woke crap down their readers throats. Sometimes people want to read a game review without being lectured to about the game’s true symbolism of capitalism being the root of the gender representation wage gap in our current imperialist society.

Lots of writers with blue hair too.

Last edited:
Ground Zero for force feeding woke crap down their readers throats. Sometimes people want to read a game review without being lectured to about the game’s true symbolism of capitalism being the root of the gender representation wage gap in our current imperialist society.

Lots of writers with blue hair too.
I mean, yeah I agree. But I've also avoided visiting that site for years, now.

Some people came here, foaming at the mouth just to post about how they hate the site. :pie_thinking: Are they having dreams about Kotaku?

crazy eyes GIF

He couldn't spare a few hours to teach his kids to ride bikes?!?? Maybe I was a fast learner but I don't exactly remember my dad being out there for weeks on end cheering me on.

"Sorry son I can't help you learn to ride a bike this week, I have to go back to work, its been 3 weeks and they're getting annoyed"
I didnt learn after I saw my sister ride a bike. Jealously gave me biking powers somehow. 4 years eith my dad did nothing.

small_law

Gaf. Seriously. Reddit, Youtube, and Twitch have all but killed the news/reviews and personality-driven sites that dominated the 2000's. Watching them fade has been painful.

Top Bottom