• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Kotaku' is hit by layoffs

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Agreed, but not in the way you think it is. I also don't think this is the start at all, this is just the continuation of trends we've seen over the past decade.

This is just a result of consumers preferring video (and short-form, tiktok-esque at that with younger demographics) content over written content. Kotaku and sites like it are dying for the exact same reason we're seeing printed media like newspapers and magazines dying across the country. I can't speak for other countries, but Americans just don't like to read (and certainly not as much as they used to). The elections over the past week showed that the cultural landscape is still very much shifting to the left.

Kotaku and sites like it are just outdated because Reddit, discords, and bigger relevant sites and groups are going to break major news long before they do, and seem to be giant content farms for sites owned by Gawker. I'm sure with Brian Crescente, Stephen Totilo, and Jason Schrier (I know I probably butchered their names) gone, they probably don't have nearly the reach they once had in the industry either. Few would consider blogs their primary news sources anymore.
Is that really it? Seems the trend started way before TikTok and short form video.

Seems it’s been a race to the bottom for a long time:
- nobody wants to pay to read articles on the internet

- websites make their profits from ad impressions instead

- sites switch their focus from content that is valuable to their readers, to content that generates the most clicks

- consolidation among media companies, larger companies want a return on their investment

- downward trend accelerates even further, now it becomes all about getting the most # clicks for the least amount of effort

- pretty soon they realize that rage bait and hot-button social issues are even better than titties when it comes to generating clicks

- gaming media now becomes infested with Marxist slacktivist retards using gaming as a platform to screech about race/gender/sexuality/politics

Finally then can move on to something more productive that's more befitting of their talents:
wagie-wojak.gif
Complaining on Twitter/X about minimum wage?

Nydius

Yup this is no laughing matter. I truly hope they learn to code so they can do something that has value to society.

I'd rather they learn a skill like welding or plumbing. There's already enough ideologues in CS and IT and they're the ones currently programming algorithms that control social media as well as AI output like ChatGPT. Don't need more pink/purple/green haired weirdos coding their ideology into future technologies.

Last edited:
Didn’t help that all their reviews started with this sort of thing:

‘ J.K. Rowling, is a virulent transphobe, using the platform afforded her by her fame and wealth to normalize the othering of trans people and contributing prominently to a culture in which anti-trans sentiment, legislation, and violence…’

Imagine if GTA 3 came out today lol

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I never cheer for anyone to lose their job, however....let's just say maybe they'll get a job doing something other than games journalism or in the games industry period. Or government...definitely not government.

K2D

Banned
Even though Kotaku had some stank articles I have nothing against the people there personally, so sucks that they lost their jobs.

I see no reason why bad "journalism" won't find a new home anyway, so it doesn't matter much.

Laieon

Is that really it? Seems the trend started way before TikTok and short form video.

- sites switch their focus from content that is valuable to their readers, to content that generates the most clicks

- consolidation among media companies, larger companies want a return on their investment

- downward trend accelerates even further, now it becomes all about getting the most # clicks for the least amount of effort

- pretty soon they realize that rage bait and hot-button social issues are even better than titties when it comes to generating clicks

- gaming media now becomes infested with Marxist slacktivist retards using gaming as a platform to screech about race/gender/sexuality/politics

Absolutely, I agree with a lot of those points (not so much that last one). My apologies if you took it as "This is Tik Tok's fault". It really just fundamentally comes down to a lot of media companies struggling to adapt to consumer trends and preferences.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Makes sense internet users don’t want to pay. Why?

Most info is free to surf. In return websites get ad clicks, banner ad fees etc…. If they do product sampling or showcasing they get fees. My company pays website blogger people $5000 + as much free product and graphics help they want.

Most people won’t pay for content because what’s behind sub plans is probably junk anyway.

There’s a lot of business sites locked behind paywalls. I’ve seen some content when people paste it or use one of those sites that tries to work around the login/paywall box. It’s no different content than any other written stuff by free sites. The worst are paywall business sites that lock earnings reports behind their paywall. Makes no sense as Reuters or Business Wire have it all too for free.

Problem is little content is worth paying for as everyone can get by with what’s out there for free.

Last edited:
Top Bottom