• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Futurism] "Gizmodo and Kotaku Staff Furious After Owner Announces Move to AI Content"

Spyxos

Gold Member

The trial will include "producing just a handful of stories for most of our sites that are basically built around lists and data," Brown wrote. "These features aren't replacing work currently being done by writers and editors, and we hope that over time if we get these forms of content right and produced at scale, AI will, via search and promotion, help us grow our audience."

Gizmodo and Kotaku staff, in particular, were outraged at the news.
"AI content will not replace my work — but it will devalue it, place undue burden on editors, destroy the credibility of my outlet, and further frustrate our audience," Gizmodo journalist Lin Codega tweeted in response to the news. "AI in any form, only undermines our mission, demoralizes our reporters, and degrades our audience's trust."
"Hey! This sucks!" tweeted Kotaku writer Zack Zwiezen. "Please retweet and yell at G/O Media about this! Thanks."
"God, this is gonna be such a fucking nightmare," wrote former Gizmodo staffer and internet sleuthing expert Ashley Feinberg.

Elbereth

allen iverson celebrity GIF by NBA

cormack12

Gold Member

AI replacing NPCs, was always the long game.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They should be fucking worried:

Write me a 300 word article on how Final Fantasy 16 is the enemy of diversity and intersectional feminism:
Title: Final Fantasy 16: A Closer Look at Diversity and Intersectional Feminism

Introduction: In recent years, the gaming industry has made significant strides towards promoting diversity and intersectional feminism. However, some critics argue that certain titles, like Final Fantasy 16, fall short in these areas. While it is important to analyze and discuss the representation of marginalized groups in video games, it is equally essential to approach such discussions with a fair and balanced perspective.

Body:

1. Lack of Diversity in Protagonists: One criticism leveled at Final Fantasy 16 is its apparent lack of diverse protagonists. The game predominantly features male characters, which some argue undermines the importance of female representation. However, it's crucial to note that the lack of diversity in the protagonist lineup may not be a reflection of the game's disregard for diversity, but rather a creative decision made within the context of the game's story and setting.
  2. Contextual Considerations: Final Fantasy games often transport players to unique and fantastical worlds, each with its own lore and cultural nuances. This context can influence the diversity and representation within the game. It is important to acknowledge that while some games may fall short in representing diverse characters, they may instead focus on other aspects, such as intricate storytelling or unique gameplay mechanics.
  3. Supporting Characters and Narratives: While the protagonist lineup may lack diversity, Final Fantasy 16 often compensates by presenting a diverse range of supporting characters. These characters offer nuanced and complex narratives that explore various themes, including gender roles, social inequality, and personal growth. By focusing on the overall ensemble of characters and their stories, Final Fantasy 16 still contributes to diverse storytelling in the gaming landscape.
  4. Ongoing Dialogue and Future Improvements: Critiques of Final Fantasy 16's diversity and intersectional feminism representation serve as an opportunity for the gaming community to engage in meaningful dialogue with developers. It encourages studios to reflect on their choices and consider ways to enhance inclusivity in future projects. This ongoing conversation helps drive positive change in the industry and promotes more diverse and representative content.
Conclusion: While it is crucial to scrutinize the representation of diverse groups in video games, it is important to approach these discussions with fairness and understanding. Final Fantasy 16 may have areas where it falls short, but it also offers diverse supporting characters and compelling narratives that explore various themes. By engaging in constructive conversations with developers, players can influence future improvements and foster a gaming landscape that embraces diversity and intersectional feminism.

Sleepwalker

When fast food is entirely robot made I might start eating it again. Take a look at who works there, and ask yourself if that's who you want cooking your dinner.
As a rule of thumb I try not to put trash in my body so I know exactly what you mean.

ReBurn

Gold Member
When fast food is entirely robot made I might start eating it again. Take a look at who works there, and ask yourself if that's who you want cooking your dinner.
I want fast food robots so I know how that the volume and application of ketchup on my burger will always be consistent and not a result of the level of anxiety the employee is experiencing based on how long it has been since their last smoke break.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
“As an AI language model, I do not hold any copyright over the content I generate. The copyright belongs to the person or entity who owns the software or platform that is running me." Gizmodo journalist Lin Codega tweeted in response to the news.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If your business model is to shit out SEO content then the move to "AI" (neural networks are not AI but that's another discussion, I guess...) is 100% right. And let's face it, all of these gaming blogs don't do any journalistic work either. So nothing is really lost there.
The laid off writers should band together and create a crowd-funded gaming site. I’d love to find out exactly how much gamers actually value their content.

I reckon most of their traffic comes from their clickbait headlines showing up in people’s news feeds, search results, content aggregators, etc. And even their true fans sure as hell don’t find it valuable enough to pay for it with their own money.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Hell yeah, no humans touching my food sounds like a value add to me.

The ordering process is already automated which is awesome, but I swear if I make any substitutions or customizations there’s like a 30% chance it will get ignored.

Top Bottom