• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2012 Thread

I met him earlier that day too. He was all knotted up in a suit (no power glove...yeah...I KNOW!!!), writing his number on his business cards. Apparently it was either an old number, or someone fucked up and printed the wrong one. He was just chillin, sitting on the floor near the Sega's Aliens structure.

Really nice guy. I get the impression that he's misunderstood by many people.

I also met iSekC at the end of the Epic Games panel. I forgot to get a photo with him.

Yeah Triforce is cool as hell. I met him at Magfest too:

390928_10150506481564043_507034042_8520682_643909127_n.jpg

in which he gave me one of these

403108_10150506489594043_507034042_8520730_425222374_a.jpg

Pretty fun guy to talk to about stuff. I asked him about Skyward Sword and he said he wanted to replay the entire series because of how fucked up the timeline is now

-PXG-

Yeah Triforce is cool as hell. I met him at Magfest too:

390928_10150506481564043_507034042_8520682_643909127_n.jpg

in which he gave me one of these

403108_10150506489594043_507034042_8520730_425222374_a.jpg

Pretty fun guy to talk to about stuff. I asked him about Skyward Sword and he said he wanted to replay the entire series because of how fucked up the timeline is now

Yeah, he gave me one of his trading cards too.

Holy crap, I hope PAX East stays away from Easter weekend again. The traffic to and from Boston took an additional hour each from holiday-goers.

But other than that, I had a great time! Got to a play a number of games (and record some interviews and such I'm going to begin editing this week) and meet some awesome people!

I enjoyed myself a lot more than in 2010, and I can only hope 2013 is even bigger!

wondermega

PAX for me was kinda a wash. Too much burnout from last-minute prepping, holidays made it hard to spend much time in the city/late-night show stuff, and I had to catch up with my homies of course since I haven't been on the east coast in a year - of course now they are all old and don't like to party like madmen anymore :( No Saturday pass either and Sunday I was all done. I blame myself for not planning better, really-

But I did get to have a couple of meetings with some press guys, show off my WIP stuff, hand out some promo material and have a couple of drinks with some friendly gaffers, cheers pxg & actstriker :) Wish I could have made it to the meetup, sounds like it was epic. I'll definitely try to be there next time!

-PXG-

PAX for me was kinda a wash. Too much burnout from last-minute prepping, holidays made it hard to spend much time in the city/late-night show stuff, and I had to catch up with my homies of course since I haven't been on the east coast in a year - of course now they are all old and don't like to party like madmen anymore :( No Saturday pass either and Sunday I was all done. I blame myself for not planning better, really-

But I did get to have a couple of meetings with some press guys, show off my WIP stuff, hand out some promo material and have a couple of drinks with some friendly gaffers, cheers pxg & actstriker :) Wish I could have made it to the meetup, sounds like it was epic. I'll definitely try to be there next time!
Thanks for the round. I owe you one for next time.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks again to those who dropped by the Borderlands 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines booth. Also big thanks to those who came out to the Gearbox panel. I am still floored by the panel being full almost 90 minutes for the start. That is crazy. Got a great video of our panel line as well!

Thanks again GAF! Hope to see you guys at future shows!
Did my shoutout to you get caught? :p

It was 90 minutes because Randy apparently has no concept of time, lol.
PAX East should be divided into like three separate cons. It's too goddamn massive to do everything!
Yeah, I have no idea how much it would have sucked to wait 2hours to play Borderlands or Firefall or Max Payne. And those were all I was mostly interested in coming in.
I didn't even touch the console freeplay, arcade stuff, tabletops, PC area, or tournaments.
I had good long talks with folks from Klei and Gaijin. Wonderful people. Both their games look and play great, especially Runner 2. I played the shit out of it. I had a blast trolling the Klei devs and playing Mark of the Ninja completely wrong lol
Nathan (Capy) told me about Runner2, but I did not get any hands on time with the game at PAX... speaking of which I did not for STF so I'm a terrible, horrible person. I just rambled about Dust to him. Glad he did get to play it at the end though!
I met him earlier that day too. He was all knotted up in a suit (no power glove...yeah...I KNOW!!!), writing his number on his business cards. Apparently it was either an old number, or someone fucked up and printed the wrong one. He was just chillin, sitting on the floor near the Sega's Aliens structure.

Really nice guy. I get the impression that he's misunderstood by many people.
I think a Triforce 4 hour rant might be easy to misinterpret.

I was pooped everyday. So much standing around and walking all over the city and the con.

It was great meeting you too wondermega. If I'm ever around LA I'll let you know.

I'll get pictures up of my PAX swag and the group pic we took tomorrow

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I got home finally an hour ago, man am I tired.
Got to see a good chunk of the panels I wanted to see. Played all the great indie games that I could and chat it up with the devs. All while hanging out with some buddies. A great weekend.

I tried to catch the meetup, but I was without internet the whole time up there. Didn't know what I was looking for, lol.

Noogy

We spoke to him saturday, super nice guy, he's also a gaffer. You could see his passion for his creation. It's very endearing.

Seriously, meeting all you guys and having the game be received so well made all the hard work worth it...I'm honestly super excited to get back to work! And to a place where I don't have to type on my phone's keyboard...ugh.

mollipen

E3 is busy work, but way easier to deal with versus something like this. You have games to see, and companies to talk to. That's it, really. No panel to wait in line for and then sit through for an hour, no side distractions like arcade rooms or game tournaments, no things like that. Also, you tend to not have the super-huge lines to see anything. There still is, like when a new console/handheld first shows up, but otherwise they usually aren't too bad.

I'm also curious if anybody randomly got my Mii, seeing the mention above. *heh*

-PXG-

The Gaf meetup was one of my favorite parts about PAX.
There were so many who didn't come or at least show any interest. Tough crowd I suppose.

I have yet to meet anyone on GAF who was a shithead IRL. Every single person over the years has been pleasant.

-PXG-

I'm thinking about going to PAX Prime. Should I do it?

The earlier I book a hotel and a flight, the better.

LiK

There were so many who didn't come or at least show any interest. Tough crowd I suppose.

I have yet to meet anyone on GAF who was a shithead IRL. Every single person over the years has been pleasant.

i didn't go this year maybe i'll go to a GAF meetup next year at PAX East.

Patryn

I'm thinking about going to PAX Prime. Should I do it?

The earlier I book a hotel and a flight, the better.

PAX Prime is great. My GF actually prefers it to PAX East, but I think my panel selection this year for East wasn't great.

Just bring sunscreen and be ready to potentially be sitting on concrete in a beating sun for hours.

-PXG-

PAX Prime is great. My GF actually prefers it to PAX East, but I think my panel selection this year for East wasn't great.

Just bring sunscreen and be ready to potentially be sitting on concrete in a beating sun for hours.
By then, I'll have the vacation time to take off. Oh man, I'm probably gonna do it.

Patryn

By then, I'll have the vacation time to take off. Oh man, I'm probably gonna do it.

Oh, and try to get a hotel close to the WSCC.

But Prime is also nice because it's downtown Seattle, so there's a lot of restaurants and bars right there.

I'm a little bummed I won't be able to make it to Prime this year, but we'll be on vacation elsewhere during the same period. Guess there's always next year.

Morning.

I had a fun epic drive from Boston to Toronto, driving in the dark for 8 hours was basically my real life Desert Bus. Just had a fun nice nap.

PAX is still an absolute blast, it's always fun to see this many people who cares about games and puts things into focus. Yet for me, this year has been more miss than hit: mainstream gaming seems all over the place (in general, it really feels like a transition year, and companies are all just showing stuff they've had already). Honestly, the best part of the show for me was all the smaller, indie devs.

Im a believer of Steel Battalion now, the trick of motion is to be snappy, quick and concise. Had a blast with it.
I think you're the first and only one. I have yet to see anyone getting it to work 100% of the time (even the presenters), and when you're trying to build a game that requires precise input and not trying to get the game to recognize your action, the game is in pretty rough shape.

I spent like 2 minutes to try to toggle to the alt fire, because the game didn't like where my hand was.

Shadow780

I think you're the first and only one. I have yet to see anyone getting it to work 100% of the time (even the presenters), and when you're trying to build a game that requires precise input and not trying to get the game to recognize your action, the game is in pretty rough shape.

I spent like 2 minutes to try to toggle to the alt fire, because the game didn't like where my hand was.

It struggles to read my motions at first, because I was lingering too much, if you do it faster and do it right it's pretty responsive. But yeah I saw plenty of people struggling with it and it's definitely a challenge for players at first.

Crimson Dragon was a good when I tried it out for Kinect; though it felt like Child of Eden fantasy version.. the shooting controls were the same.

Wish the dodging was better though.

I wanted to try Steel Battalion then saw the wait times for it. lolno

Mahonay

Banned
God I'm still recovering today from the long weekend. The life force has been taken out of me. The mix of a lot of drinking and some very poor/lack of meals did a number on my body. Feeling really terrible today. I have to think about bringing my own meals to these things, the convention food is just the worst shit ever on top of being ungodly expensive.

There is the ONE restaurant there by the convention center connected to the Westin. It was closed the day I went too but the bar lounge place was open which had food from the same menu. Had some good Clam Chowder at least.

5amshift

Banned
God I'm still recovering today from the long weekend. The life force has been taken out of me. The mix of a lot of drinking and some very poor/lack of meals did a number on my body. Feeling really terrible today. I have to think about bringing my own meals to these things, the convention food is just the worst shit ever on top of being ungodly expensive.

Walk over to South Station next time, they have a lot of quick service places like McDonald's and Au Bon and it's cheap.

Mahonay

Banned
Walk over to South Station next time, they have a lot of quick service places like McDonald's and Au Bon and it's cheap.
Not much better but probably worth the walk to avoid buying the convention food. Just giving up that much time to go get food during the convention is rough when there's so much to do and not a lot of time.

I'm definitely considering bringing some sandwiches and other snacks in a cooler next time.

Not much better but probably worth the walk to avoid buying the convention food. Just giving up that much time to go get food during the convention is rough when there's so much to do and not a lot of time.

I'm definitely considering bringing some sandwiches and other snacks in a cooler next time.

Walk is like a block or two. I will not pay for the food next year. $9.00 for a burger god damn.

Mahonay

Banned
Walk is like a block or two. I will not pay for the food next year. $9.00 for a burger god damn.
I'm really not a fan of McDonald's and Au Bon nonstop sounds depressing. I'm sure there are other restaurants pretty close though. Either way yes, I felt like I was being raped while eating that food. $8 for the shittiest slice of pizza I've ever had.

Hero

Back home in PA safe, sound and slightly better rested. What an epic weekend.

Highlights:

- Bachelor party on Thursday night with my friends down in Providence
- Getting my picture taken with Suda 51 Friday morning
- Talking to the lead on Hero Academy and learning more about the plans for the game
- Talking to Noogy after playing his EPIC 2D game. Seriously blows my mind!!
- GAF meet-up. Had to bounce earlier and missed the drinking but it was so awesome meeting other GAFers and putting some faces to names and avatars. Definitely want to make this a yearly tradition.
- Getting to play (and beat) a Magic developer and pick his brain apart
- Meeting Adam and BuddyC and talking to them about Borderlands 2 and what not
- While waiting in line for the Gearbox Panel met a Riot Games employee and talked about the game and what was coming up with League of Legends
- Playing Werewolf with strangers at the con on Saturday night
- Gearbox Panel was truly epic

I was literally doing something every waking moment of the entire four day weekend. Getting too old for this kind of stuff. I really wanted to do more and I'm sad I missed out on meeting some more people I had planned on.

Really makes me want to consider PAX Prime this year.

5amshift

Banned

Not a lot of time? If you get there at 10am, or even 10:30 am every morning, seeing everything in 3 days is pretty do-able. I did everything I wanted to in a day. Only reason why I went on Saturday was because I didn't get to see Aliens.

Close by was also Downtown Crossing. They have a food court and is right across the street from Boston Commons a huge tourist attraction and there are places galore to eat. I'll need to remember next year to post a huge list of what there is to do in the area.

Mahonay

Banned
Not a lot of time? If you get there at 10am, or even 10:30 am every morning, seeing everything in 3 days is pretty do-able. I did everything I wanted to in a day. Only reason why I went on Saturday was because I didn't get to see Aliens.

Close by was also Downtown Crossing. They have a food court and is right across the street from Boston Commons a huge tourist attraction and there are places galore to eat. I'll need to remember next year to post a huge list of what there is to do in the area.
Between the panels I want to attend (which you have to line up for at least a hour in advance), the people I meet up with while there, and the games I make time to play it' really not a lot of time for me at least. Also I almost never get there at 10AM. Fuck those insane lines in the morning. Day 1 is the only day I got there super early. By Sunday I rolled in at 1PM which was my own fault from being hungover.

Sanjuro

You were here too? Guess you are on plane already. I even had my GAF shirt on.

Yeah, I live south of Boston. I had no GAF shirt, just button up shirts and big beard.

Heading to Texas for pleasure. Hope to infect them with my new nerd disease.

Edit: I think I saw some smaller guy with the orange plane shirt early on Friday in the MP3 line, but I was too far up. I just stared awkwardly.

Pollux

The location of the convention center is pretty piss poor tbh.

and the meet up was very fun, lots of great people. If you didn't end up going to the bar I would highly encourage you to come out with us again next year!

Sanjuro

The location of the convention center is pretty piss poor tbh.

and the meet up was very fun, lots of great people. If you didn't end up going to the bar I would highly encourage you to come out with us again next year!

How is it piss poor? Wonderfully sized building and incredibly easy to get to.

There is nowhere else in the city something this scale can make sense.

Pollux

How is it piss poor? Wonderfully sized building and incredibly easy to get to.

There is nowhere else in the city something this scale can make sense.

The convention center itself is fine...that's not what I was saying.

What I was saying was that to get to anywhere from the CC is a pain in the ass, whether that's food, bars, or anything else. I dunno, it's just my opinion.

Mahonay

Banned
If you didn't end up going to the bar I would highly encourage you to come out with us again next year!
GAF meet-up was the same night as the Giant Bomb panel and then meet-up afterward so I couldn't make it. I certainly wanted to come out. Had a really great time at the NYC GAF meet up I went to a couple weeks ago.

Hero

The convention center itself is fine...that's not what I was saying.

What I was saying was that to get to anywhere from the CC is a pain in the ass, whether that's food, bars, or anything else. I dunno, it's just my opinion.

I think the surrounding options for food, bars, convenience stores is pretty crappy as well. Learned my lesson from last year and brought a ton of dry-packaged, easily portable food with me this year and reserved going out to eat for just dinner.

Top Bottom