• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters announced for PS4

Pikma

Banned
Just heard about this.
What the fuck, I'm gonna have to get a PS4 now. I've been waiting almost a decade for this to come out. I'm not just going to give up on it and skip it now.

So they cancelled the Wii-U version? Shitty move.

This is what they have said on twitter.

jbtoXPyg1rECFV.JPG

sörine;125043848 said:
To an extent but indies are the one area where 3rd parties seem to be doing well on Wii U. Nintendo courted them early on, sent them free kits and they actually announced the ports so PS4 exclusivity likely has more to do with incetives/moneyhats than anything.

Sony also has been very supportive to Indies from the start, provided free kits, big stage attention like E3 and support. Its not just moneyhat, developers realize that PS4 is doing great, has great install base and future on selling the games very well too which is easy decision for developer to make priorities on choosing the platform viable for them especially indies.

Paganmoon

Just heard about this.
What the fuck, I'm gonna have to get a PS4 now. I've been waiting almost a decade for this to come out. I'm not just going to give up on it and skip it now.

Still coming to PC though, or are you referring to the WiiU cancelation?

teiresias

Still coming to PC though, or are you referring to the WiiU cancelation?

Was a Wii-U version ever announced? Until this Gamescom I didn't think any console version were even definite, they just always said they'd do them if they could get support and/or make enough from the PC release to justify it.

Sony also has been very supportive to Indies from the start, provided free kits, big stage attention like E3 and support. Its not just moneyhat, developers realize that PS4 is doing great, has great install base and future on selling the games very well too which is easy decision for developer to make priorities on choosing the platform viable for them especially indies.

indies are actually getting good sales from eshop because of lack of competition meanwhile at psn, not so much...

They didn't officially announce a port for any of the consoles until this Gamescom. They merely expressed interest in bringing it to all three platforms and that was it.

Paganmoon

Ragnar did mention the Wii U specifically in a few interviews though, but did say that it took a backseat to the development of the PC/Linux/Mac ones.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why announce it in the first place when you knew the audience for the Wii-U wasn't expanding in the first place? Come on.

Because they expected the Wii U to have a normal S-shaped sales curve, and when they announced it it wasn't yet apparent to them that it wasn't.

Doffen

Just heard about this.

PC/MAC/Linux version is prioritized. PS4 will just get it before Xbox One. If Xbox One get's a version it will be after all the chapters are released.

That's cool. I hope whatever financial and/or technical support they get makes both versions better. I doubt I'll pick it up on PS4 though, I've already spent enough on it as is.

openrob

Bummed by the cancellation of e Wii U port. Seemed like a good fit. Nintendo even got in contact with the Devs when the game was first announced as they thought it was a good fit for the console.

I was considering backing this for Wii U possibility. Seems silly not to release on both though, sure it would have sold well enough considering the Unity tools would have presumably simplified the porting process, and the fact it's not exactly a demanding game hardware wise means optimisation isn't exactly the biggest issue...

But what do I know, eh?

Pikma

Banned
As much as I love the series (I can't wait to play this game) I feel it's kinda shady that they backpedaled on their decision of not making it episodic just a few months ago because "the project outgrew the original scope" (i.e. budget) and now a console exclusive version surfaces.
PC/MAC/Linux version is prioritized. PS4 will just get it before Xbox One. If Xbox One get's a version it will be after all the chapters are released.
What are you talking about? Am I missing anything? The dev said PS4 would get the console exclusivity.

Doffen

What are you talking about? Am I missing anything? The dev said PS4 would get the console exclusivity.

Tweets from Ragnar:

It's finally official: #Dreamfall #Chapters gets an exclusive episodic console release on #PS4! #Playstation #Sony

@LukasHeinzel It will be a #PS4 exclusive for a while. No #Xbone version confirmed as of yet.

Also PlayStation said "First to console on PS4" during the GC keynote.

This to me sounds like Xbox One might get a release when all the episodes/chapters are released.

Why announce it in the first place when you knew the audience for the Wii-U wasn't expanding in the first place? Come on.

Because the kickstarter campaign came just after the console was launched and no one knew if the WiiU was still gonna be in dire straits a year later.

I don't think Sony mentioned Dreamfall Chapters in their GC keynote, or I may have missed it.

As much as I love the series (I can't wait to play this game) I feel it's kinda shady that they backpedaled on their decision of not making it episodic just a few months ago because "the project outgrew the original scope" (i.e. budget) and now a console exclusive version surfaces.
Not when they're upfront about it and their reasoning. They have enough money to finish the game, but releasing it sooner by going episodic gives them more time and hopefully money to polish later episodes.

Maybe other backers disagree, but as someone who is actually invested in it via Kick starter, I don't think there's anything shady about it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I find it interesting how everyone is excited by the news of it being PS4 exclusive but annoyed over Rise of the Tomb Raider being Xbone exclusive. Really interesting indeed.

Because the kickstarter campaign came just after the console was launched and no one knew if the WiiU was still gonna be in dire straits a year later.

Doesn't matter if the game was funded via the Kickstarter and they promised a Wii U version during the kickstarter period, then they let down all Wii U owner backers.

And with it being PS4 exclusive seem to suggest that the developers took Sony money to keep it off other consoles.

Slowdive

Banned
I find it interesting how everyone is excited by the news of it being PS4 exclusive but annoyed over Rise of the Tomb Raider being Xbone exclusive. Really interesting indeed.

Doesn't matter if the game was funded via the Kickstarter and they promised a Wii U version during the kickstarter period, then they let down all Wii U owner backers.

And with it being PS4 exclusive seem to suggest that the developers took Sony money to keep it off other consoles.

They never promised a Wii U version:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-26-dreamfall-chapters-we-are-preparing-to-go-to-consoles

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/30/dreamfall-chapters-on-a-long-journey-to-wii-u/

teiresias

Not when they're upfront about it and their reasoning. They have enough money to finish the game, but releasing it sooner by going episodic gives them more time and hopefully money to polish later episodes.

Maybe other backers disagree, but as someone who is actually invested in it via Kick starter, I don't think there's anything shady about it.

I'm a backer and I understand their reasoning, but it does give me pause that Kickstarter games that have gone episodic have a spotty history.

I'm not sure I see anyone excited about it being PS4 exclusive, until this week we didn't know there was even going to be a PS4 version period, just "we'll see" talk from RTG.

Also, the Kickstarter campaign NEVER made promises concerning any console versions. The Kickstarter was always very clearly funding a PC release.

All the news stories that are saying it was "confirmed" for Wii U seem to only include quotes from Ragnar indicating they'd been talking to Nintendo and had dev kits, I'm not sure that constitutes an announcement considering the team size and the amount of work on their plate just getting the PC release ready.

Tweets from Ragnar:

This to me sounds like Xbox One might get a release when all the episodes/chapters are released.

Most likely, they've been in contact with Charla, but as they said, they need to focus their small team on one console for now.

phanphare

Banned
well that's some straight up fuckery

glad I didn't back this game because I'm sure it'd be a shit show trying to get my money back

edit: I'm cool now, read their kickstarter and facebook posts. still shitty but not unethical or anything.

For those backing for a Wii u version I feel your pain. It's a fucking shame. But them are the deals with kickstarter unfortunately. You took a gamble it didn't pay out and imho I can't blame them. Others are backing out of wii u it just isn't a smart business choice, especially on a small community backed developer.

Hello, peoples!

We've talked quite a bit about bringing Chapters to consoles already (for example this) but of course this won't negatively affect the PC/Mac/Linux versions, since we're using Unity. Most of the work we do is on the content side, not the engine side (this game is all about story and art and interesting gameplay challenges, not about fancy new features & bullet points) and the content will remain the same across all platforms. Also, the PS4 and the Xbox One are basically PCs -- and they both support Unity. As does the Wii U.

We actually haven't confirmed that we're definitely, absolutely going to be on ANY console. Yes, we're "exploring" the Wii U, and if we can make the game look great and play well on Nintendo's platform without compromising anything, we'll definitely consider porting & self-publishing the game via the eShop. We'll reach more players and a larger audience, and that's A Good Thing. But we'll see how it plays out and how well the game works, and then we'll take it from there.

The same goes for other, next-generation consoles, without committing to anything or announcing anything right now. Our development focus right now is on PC/Mac (and, by extension, Linux) but since Unity does the hard work and makes porting extremely easy, and since all the content is shared, it's really a no-brainer for us to also take the game to other platforms. Yes, even mobile, although we have said we'll wait with that until the game is out.

Someone mentioned controls, and we're already supporting both mouse/keyboard and joypads for the desktop versions, so consoles won't affect this at all. I love playing with a joypad (the Xbox one for Windows, obviously) and Martin is a die-hard keyboard-and-mouse guy, so we're going to make damn sure the game plays well with both setups. The original Dreamfall worked well with the joypad, not so well with mouse/keyboard, but we've completely changed the latter for Chapters and it's already a huge improvement. And we'll keep testing and tweaking until November 2014.

I hope that cleared up some things! Don't hesitate to poke us and ask us questions about this, we're more than happy to answer whatever we can answer.

Ragnar

Written days after the "Kickstarter Dreamfall Chapters Coming To Wii U" article. It was never officially confirmed for any platforms other than PC until Sony's event a couple of days ago. Calm down peeps, Red Thread didn't fuck over anyone.

zhorkat

Seems like it's a situation where the PS4 is just the first console it is coming to, so there can still be a Wii U port. I might be misreading things, though.

For those backing for a Wii u version I feel your pain. It's a fucking shame. But them are the deals with kickstarter unfortunately. You took a gamble it didn't pay out and imho I can't blame them. Others are backing out of wii u it just isn't a smart business choice, especially on a small community backed developer.

well that's some straight up fuckery

glad I didn't back this game because I'm sure it'd be a shit show trying to get my money back

I do not recall the Kickstarter for this game mentioning any console versions. This came after the fact.

FACE

Banned
I really ought to stop backing stuff on kickstarter if devs are going to keep announcing console versions that were never mentioned during the campaign before the PC version is even out.

One-Shot

Banned
Well, already getting it on PC through Kickstarter, but glad more people will get the opportunity to play this. Can't wait!

SGRX

It's unfortunate that they're not moving forward with a WiiU version, but since they're working with limited resources it makes sense that they go with the current gen console with the most units sold. They never committed to a specific console version during the Kickstarter campaign, so I don't feel like anyone was misled.

TLJ is one of my all time favorite adventure titles, so mainly I just want this game to succeed. I'll probably either switch to the PS4 version or pick it up in addition to PC.

Top Bottom