• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamhack Summer 2012 Thread: SC2/DOTA2/HoN/LoL/CS/Quake/BF3/SF4AE/SFxT June 16-18

Maybe I'm crazy, but the competitive integrity of the tournament should take precedence over "the attendees want to see the players". I seem to recall the teams being in 5 man booths at the International last year, so why are they ill-prepared to set this up? Horrible work by Dreamhack.

'Cuase shit is expensive, unless Valve wants to extended help to the organizers.

I expect it to be there in the future when organizers think it's worth their investment (just like MLG did with SC2).

This is why Dota 2 needs a weekly podcast in the spirit of SC2's State of the Game. Allow the players and casters to speak their minds and keep the tournaments and developers honest, and to make suggestions about how to maintain the game as a major esport.

The GD studio

Yeah it's an all encompassing show but they do focus on SC2 and DOTA2 a lot. Also, SOTG is more gossip than actual meaningful discussion these days.

Sibylus

Banned
This series really deserves a third game. So pleased with mtw's performance of late, they really could win this all if they put together another solid lineup and play like they did in this game. Their positioning and coordination was excellent. Their timing on the bottom barracks push was immaculate (went while their two sheepsticks and Juggernaut damage items could have their most explosive impact on the fight), they chipped away the tower gradually enough that Na'Vi didn't jump on them before the tower was virtually gone. Focus Fire was pretty damned useful on that push in particular, normalized mtw's damage while the creep counts in front of the tower were fluctuating.

This is great news in general, because mtw has been a team that has greatly struggled with its timing and the gauging of its own relative advantages in the past. If they can read that against Na'Vi, they'll probably be able to read it against more and more teams going forward.

Yeah, and the smoke before I think 2 of Na'Vi were still smoked up. Kind of sucks.
2 of the smoked heroes came out of it with autoattacks in the middle lane, pretty blatant to mtw what was up.

The GD studio

Yeah it's an all encompassing show but they do focus on SC2 and DOTA2 a lot. Also, SOTG is more gossip than actual meaningful discussion these days.

This is the best place for shows. They tell it like it is, they have people that are in all positions in esports. Players, casters, event planner, streaming staff, etc. They just need to get a little more organized because they always just do stuff with no prep and go on crazy tangents.

Godz is the best DotA2 caster

<_<

Edit: Wonder if Na'Vi will break out any secret tech.

Godz is really good too, but Tobi is still my favorite, not as a solo caster, but with some professional co caster, he's excellent.

Enigma first-picked by syndereN again. No surprise, FckingMad plays the hero so well.

ksan

It's as if Na'Vi are shook up, taking a long time with their draft...
Would've thought they had something prepared.

Sibylus

Banned
Ban Beastmaster and Vengeful Spirit, do eeeet. Bane having to stand still to disable Enigma is so much easier to deal with.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Juggs was the really pushing power. 200 damage with crits back by manta, spin, healing ward and aegis. Push dem rax.

Sibylus

Banned
Ayesee and Draskyl (they cast It's Gosu Monthly Madness) are the best duo, Tobynderen excepting.

Oh shit, Tinker and Antimage.

XBOCT AM?

g.g.

He has a fucking statue of AM man.

It's not a "Na'Vi" pick though. I've watched them several times in the past lose games when they try to play the hard carry farm style. I know that Hvost is the carry player and that I might eat my words, but it feels like Na'Vi being somewhat desperate.

Ayesee and Draskyl (they cast It's Gosu Monthly Madness) are the best duo, Tobynderen excepting.

I like Draskyl, but Ayesee is just OK.

XBOCT's Anti-Mage toy:

SRl0o.png

Sibylus

Banned
That AM is going to need a Manta Style desperately. Purge Night Stalker silence, block the bear, purge Tinker's laser miss, Tinker's inevitable sheepstick chains, etc.

It's not a "Na'Vi" pick though. I've watched them several times in the past lose games when they try to play the hard carry farm style. I know that Hvost is the carry player and that I might eat my words, but it feels like Na'Vi being somewhat desperate.

XBOCT usually plays a very aggressive AM, gets Treads, Vanguard and Vlad's and helps in the team fights very early on. I might be wrong this game, but that's how they usually play their AM.

Haunted

Dota 2 is so pleasant to look at.

The art style is clean, the colour choices are appealing, just a nice looking game. Reminds me of Krater, actually.

Sibylus

Banned
You couldn't even spoil that in a pub match, bar there being an idle hero that's inexplicably not noticed and not paused for.

ksan

Is there a particular reason why Windrunner and Night Stalker are in almost every game?

Just powerful, but not considered dangerous enough to ban?

Windrunner has probably the best set of the 3 non-ultimate skills, night stalker is just a very momentum based hero that can easily give a big advantage if you get some early kills.

WR is always popular and picked up by all teams, but these two teams probably play NS more than most other teams.

Windrunner has probably the best set of the 3 non-ultimate skills, night stalker is just a very momentum based hero that can easily give a big advantage if you get some early kills.

WR is always popular and picked up by all teams, but these two teams probably play NS more than most other teams.

Mostly because the other heroes that do get banned are way stronger or integral to a certain type of strategy.

Thanks!

LOL LIGHTOFHEAVEN?

Night Stalker is actually pretty uncommon for most teams to pick anymore. He was almost always picked or banned at least year'ss International because the hero pool was tiny compared to now, but he's making a bit of a comeback with the current aggressive strategies. It's always fascinating to see the fluctuations in the style of picks teams go for.

marcurius

How long is the typical dota match? I just want to watch the StarCraft finals and then go to bed :/

e: Nevermind, read the previous page.

Top Bottom