• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams’ Creator Early Access Launches This Spring

Inviusx

Seems strange but it will ensure a good breadth of content is available for the actual launch.

I will try to get access but who the hell knows what "limited" actually means.

Grinchy

Banned
I have to imagine that this isn't completely random on who they pick. It would be crazy to let it be random and then take the chance on the best creators from the beta not getting to continue their work in early access.

I wonder if it's criteria-based. Like maybe there's some algorithm that accepts any PSN profiles that spent X number of hours playing/creating in the beta. And then after that it's random. I'm just spit-balling here but they'd be crazy not to ensure that the already-known creator entities get their access.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seems great to me; full toolset functionality + a subset of pre-made content wrapped in a snapshot of the current interface and package.

The challenge with a project like this is always going to be refining the user experience to be as appealing to as many people and ability levels as possible; So I can well understand how now they have the fundamentals working, they want to spend an extended period rounding it off and polishing as much as they can.

Some of the negative comments in this thread made me shake my head in disbelief though; talk about obnoxious entitlement...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Wait...is this the first time Sony has done early access...other than like...fortnite, which is technically still a Beta over a year later and billions of dollars made?

Also...did somebody say $30 dollars? Is the full game going to be $60 for those who don't do early access?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Wait...is this the first time Sony has done early access...other than like...fortnite, which is technically still a Beta over a year later and billions of dollars made?

Also...did somebody say $30 dollars? Is the full game going to be $60 for those who don't do early access?

Full price hasn't been announced but once it's fully functional, with all the tweaks on content (Story mode for one), I doubt it's going to be the same price at retail.

I definitely want in for the early access, smart business for them to pay for continued development on the stuff we want, motion controls, VR creation by giving us what they already have. Great for creators to get a handle on the basic tools too (ya know for those of us who never got the beta invites)

julio_grr

I don't know if this has been addressed in another topic, but do you know if they have plans to enable some kind of 3D printing service of the sculpture we make? I think I heard something like that somewhere. It would be great if we could have prints of our figurines delivered, for a price of course.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I don't know if this has been addressed in another topic, but do you know if they have plans to enable some kind of 3D printing service of the sculpture we make? I think I heard something like that somewhere. It would be great if we could have prints of our figurines delivered, for a price of course.

MM have it set up in their studios and are looking into making it available to the public. I doubt it will be in from the start but I see no reason why they wouldn't allow it at some point.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
OK, this sounds a little better:

i mean the way they answered sounds a bit reassuring, but reading into it, doesn't alleviate any of the concern. nothings changed here.its still limited - their excuse will just be feedback was overwhelming. who knows if 50k or 2mil will be the threshold.

i think all we can know is that the EA will allow for more people than the beta

Last edited:

julio_grr

Some of the negative comments in this thread made me shake my head in disbelief though; talk about obnoxious entitlement...
Oh we're excited for the game, mind you. But you can't deny their communication since the beginning of the beta have been quite sloppy.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
i mean the way they answered sounds a bit reassuring, but reading into it, doesn't alleviate any of the concern. nothings changed here.its still limited - their excuse will just be feedback was overwhelming. who knows if 50k or 2mil will be the threshold.

i think all we can know is that the EA will allow for more people than the beta

If I was to be completely honest, and slightly cynical, I'd say they're framing it like this in order to drive early sales. If people think they may not get it, they're more likely to snap it up immediately. It's a 'hurry up and make your mind up' strategy in my opinion.

Last edited:

scalman

whats interesting here to me that ps4 doesnt get many early access on games vs pc and xbox , so thats cool only for early access on this platform. wonder why they need that ? is game still far from being done ?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
whats interesting here to me that ps4 doesnt get many early access on games vs pc and xbox , so thats cool only for early access on this platform. wonder why they need that ? is game still far from being done ?

Every time the game has been changed, tweaked or has changed the engine (Brick to Bubblebath to a combination of both, and many smaller iterations in between), ALL of the work on the singleplayer campaign has had to be reworked because of incompatibility. MM have only now got the final version and can only now double down on the singleplayer game. Dreams is also a service and a development suite, NOT a game, and the one thing a service needs is content. This allows them to gather content for release, finish up on the story campaign, add in all the suggestions from the beta testers, and work on additions that where put on hold to get the game to completion. Youtube wasn't grown in a day, which is why Dreams has a ten year plan behind it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Every time the game has been changed, tweaked or has changed the engine (Brick to Bubblebath to a combination of both, and many smaller iterations in between), ALL of the work on the singleplayer campaign has had to be reworked because of incompatibility. MM have only now got the final version and can only now double down on the singleplayer game. Dreams is also a service and a development suite, NOT a game, and the one thing a service needs is content. This allows them to gather content for release, finish up on the story campaign, add in all the suggestions from the beta testers, and work on additions that where put on hold to get the game to completion. Youtube wasn't grown in a day, which is why Dreams has a ten year plan behind it.

I'm going to be VERY interested in how Sony specifically supports this game after year 2 when the PS5 comes out.

scalman

just think how much better it could be on PS5 let people create even larger worlds with new tools .. devs said going to PS5 is posibility

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
just think how much better it could be on PS5 let people create even larger worlds with new tools .. devs said going to PS5 is posibility

It will come to the PS5. I doubt they'll want to split the userbase though so expect higher resolutions, higher framerates and quicker loading times. Other than that, it will be the same as the PS4 version.

julio_grr

just think how much better it could be on PS5
tenor.gif

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
At some point there will be ps5 only games.

You could be right but initially, it will be the same. If BC is indeed on the table, Sony will just gauge how many people are switching from the PS4 to the PS5 and when the PS4 is selling badly, they may then make that switch entirely.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
New MM interview. There's a weird moment when something appears that doesn't appear to fit ... You also get to see the new sparkly effects in the menus and the new selection menu in the home space:

Bonus vid. German:

Last edited:
Top Bottom