• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams Beta Possibly Coming Today

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Pics are allowed in Word and in Powerpoint, but I would merely use a [placeholder] of some kind for the pictures and focus on the written content and structure of the OT.

Something like this is how I draft up own OTs and blog posts:

Text text text
Text text text
Text text text

[insert pic showing weapon system]

Text text text
Text text text
Text text text

[Insert pic showing character creation]

Text text text
Text text text
Text text text

Please hit me up via PMs if you'd like any assistance. I will do my best to help.

OK, I'll think about it. At least I can start now and add later so I won't feel so stupid alongside some of the 'masterpieces' I've seen here in the past. By the way, how do the make a word link to something? This is the format I used for my tutorial thread on LBPC but how would I write it here?

LBP2-Torials 01: Sequencers

Take a look at the hard work I put into this!

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?46908-LittleBigPlanet-2-Tutorials-and-Games

Edit: Oh great! The same format works here too!!!!

Last edited:
OK, I'll think about it. At least I can start now and add later so I won't feel so stupid alongside some of the 'masterpieces' I've seen here in the past. By the way, how do the make a word link to something? This is the format I used for my tutorial thread on LBPC but how would I write it here?

LBP2-Torials 01: Sequencers

Take a look at the hard work I put into this!

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?46908-LittleBigPlanet-2-Tutorials-and-Games

Edit: Oh great! The same format works here too!!!!
You can highlight the word (or phrase) and click the 'Chain' icon, or just click the 'Chain' icon and type in your info.

BVQBblnm.png

I'll take a look at your tutorial thread. Thanks for linking.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You can highlight the word (or phrase) and click the 'Chain' icon, or just click the 'Chain' icon and type in your info.

BVQBblnm.png

I'll take a look at your tutorial thread. Thanks for linking.

The comphermc tutorials are relevant to Dreams so I'll post them here now that I know the format works.

I can't wait, I had some pretty big levels in LBP, with thousands of play throughs, Star Wars The Battle of Hoth, Saving Private Ryan, Little Big Nightmare Before Christmas, I would put 1-2 months in on each level to create them and at the time, I had some time off those were full days. I used the eye toy camera to take pics of images off my laptop and use them almost as a sticker and throw them in on surfaces to create actual characters like Han & Chewy I did the same thing with some original drawings, imposing them on surfaces to create broken and bombed buildings in Saving Private Ryan.

It took me awhile to learn some of the mechanics or duplicate what others had done but the visuals to my levels were always on point. I do graphic design on the side, I've been watching what I can on Dreams but I really want in on that beta. I want to learn the tools and go on to create in VR, book marked this thread.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
For anyone lucky enough to get in the beta, I'm sure it will be fine for you to give us your overall feelings about the tools without being too specific.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So it's a closed BETA at first, because most of the staff are going to be out during the Holidays. So that does make sense and it's fair.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So, do we have any news on the beta from the lucky ones who tried it?

I can't really say much. NDA. Let's just say it's frigin' complex and deep and it's taking all of my will to overcome the inability to use it fluently (at the moment). It looks far better than what we've seen in vids.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So ... I did a little experiment today. I had made a watch tower, which was quite detailed and then set it on a mound of grass that I coloured green (of course). This hit 14% on the 'Graphics' thermo. I then cloned that watch tower and mound of grass 11 times. The 'Graphics' thermo was still at 14%. Not deterred, I pressed on and cloned the 11 clones 20 more times ... STILL the 'Graphics' thermo was at 14%. This can't be right, I thought so I cloned the 220 versions of my watchtower another 40 - 50 times ... Still 14%, BUT the 'Gameplay' thermo had risen to 67%. We're talking a huge ass forest of complex watchtowers here WITHOUT any lowering of the resolution, which was at full. I walked around it with my mannequin and there was NO framerate drop. I was however joined by a fellow mannequin, who seemed keen on accompanying me on my explorations. He didn't copy me, he simply traversed the scenery in pursuit of me. I wasn't controlling him because I turned to face him at one point and the little blighter just stared at me blankly and never said a word, which I found rude to say the least.

So in conclusion, with clever use of assets, logic, animation and sound effects (not the ridiculous mess I'd made), levels can be absolutely huge AND mannequins are ignorant little bastards.

So ... I did a little experiment today. I had made a watch tower, which was quite detailed and then set it on a mound of grass that I coloured green (of course). This hit 14% on the 'Graphics' thermo. I then cloned that watch tower and mound of grass 11 times. The 'Graphics' thermo was still at 14%. Not deterred, I pressed on and cloned the 11 clones 20 more times ... STILL the 'Graphics' thermo was at 14%. This can't be right, I thought so I cloned the 220 versions of my watchtower another 40 - 50 times ... Still 14%, BUT the 'Gameplay' thermo had risen to 67%. We're talking a huge ass forest of complex watchtowers here WITHOUT any lowering of the resolution, which was at full. I walked around it with my mannequin and there was NO framerate drop. I was however joined by a fellow mannequin, who seemed keen on accompanying me on my explorations. He didn't copy me, he simply traversed the scenery in pursuit of me. I wasn't controlling him because I turned to face him at one point and the little blighter just stared at me blankly and never said a word, which I found rude to say the least.

So in conclusion, with clever use of assets, logic, animation and sound effects (not the ridiculous mess I'd made), levels can be absolutely huge AND mannequins are ignorant little bastards.
Sounds like their resource usage is a lot smarter in this game. Doing what you just described in LBP would've quickly filled up the thermometer.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Sounds like their resource usage is a lot smarter in this game. Doing what you just described in LBP would've quickly filled up the thermometer.

Remember though, that doesn't include any logic, animations, sound or music. I've been told via twitter that the logic works in a similar way so any logic used can be copied with little affect on the thermo. I'm assuming the same goes for other elements too.

Remember though, that doesn't include any logic, animations, sound or music. I've been told via twitter that the logic works in a similar way so any logic used can be copied with little affect on the thermo. I'm assuming the same goes for other elements too.
Interesting. Well, thanks for posting your impressions, and I'm looking forward to digging into the beta myself in 2019.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Interesting. Well, thanks for posting your impressions, and I'm looking forward to digging into the beta myself in 2019.

I daren't go into more depth, for obvious reasons. The only reason I felt 'safe' making that comment was because John had said as much in a reply on Twitter so I haven't really said anything new, it's just proof he wasn't exaggerating. Suffice to say, this thing is complex and deep but can be used in a more lego like fashion if complex and deep isn't your thing.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Basic geometry instancing
But it's good to know it's properly implemented and quite efficient indeed !

Yeah, and it works great. I've been trying to come to grips with every aspect of Dreams (between playing ACO) and now I think it's time to actually create something more substantial. It's odd because I find myself turning it off often but then half an hour later wanting to give it another go. That's how I know it's ONLY getting used to the controls and multiple iterations on those controls that's frustrating me at the moment. I'm sure at some point it will become second nature but right now it's like going from one game to the next and having to readjust what buttons do what. Motion control is the worse one to come to terms with. I found myself trying the navigate the ACO map with the motion controls after an extensive exploration of Dreams.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I hope Sony closes down this shitstudio sooner than later. It's gonna bomb anyway.

You have a problem my friend, and I mean that literally. I've seen you 'elsewhere' saying exactly the same thing over and over. I would step away from this silliness because if you don't the same thing is likely to happen here as it did there ...

We get it. You hate this game and MM. Now move on.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
How long would you say it took you to reach this point?

Just over a week but I haven't been going hard at it. I reckon it will likely be about a month before people start using it with ease, although creating something substantial doesn't require that level of familiarity. Patience first, free-flowing expression next!

Aintitcool

Banned
I subscribed to the newsletter a long time ago because they said beta access would probably go to those first. Can't wait.

Aintitcool

Banned

Just checked my email and I actually got it 8 days ago! 1gb file.

Anybody know if it is NDA ?

Edit:
Yup NDA is in effect
nqy5v0xb59521.png

Last edited:
Was thinking how cool next Christmas will be with a host of playable festive experiences published by people with this game. :messenger_crystal_ball:

Question is how many games/experiences made by everyone can the servers hold?

KRAai

i think this game will be huge
not necessarily with your standard gaming community though
it has potential to became platform to all kind of creative people

the best marketing for this game
i think would be to pay some recognized artists like kendrick lamar kojima del toro tim burton... everyone
(you got me i have no idea who is hip now) to dream up something
and just share it on their twitter :messenger_dizzy:

I wasn't a fan of LBP but it had some charm I guess with Sackboy even though it had floaty physics.
Let's talk Dreams now, announced in 1990? Dragged it from one conference to another showing the same old footage and promising a beta years ago? I saw some tweets telling people to fuck off when they asked for that promised beta so yeah I don't care about this studio at all. I don't want to create stuff though, just play so "creative" people might actually dig this but it's an avalanche of obtuse tools and shit looking at the closed nda beta lol, I just can't see it happen.

I'll check out that public beta next week and yeah, what can you expect? It's gonna take months to see something worth playing and as asual for user created content, 99.99% will be pure shite.

KRAai

I wasn't a fan of LBP but it had some charm I guess with Sackboy even though it had floaty physics.
Let's talk Dreams now, announced in 1990? Dragged it from one conference to another showing the same old footage and promising a beta years ago? I saw some tweets telling people to fuck off when they asked for that promised beta so yeah I don't care about this studio at all. I don't want to create stuff though, just play so "creative" people might actually dig this but it's an avalanche of obtuse tools and shit looking at the closed nda beta lol, I just can't see it happen.

I'll check out that public beta next week and yeah, what can you expect? It's gonna take months to see something worth playing and as asual for user created content, 99.99% will be pure shite.

was this post a dare? like what the fuck is wrong with you?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

One man's shit is another man's manure.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
As some of you know, I was given a spare code but because the email didn't match mine I could use the tools but not access other people's work or official beta forum. Well ... today Alex sorted it for me and I've been going through what is already created in Dreams. Of course I can't be specific. I've been keeping my expectations realistic, whilst some have gone wild with hopes of Horizon, GOW or Uncharted levels of graphics. Look ... forget that ... think AA indies, and I mean GOOD AA indies. Having gone through some of the characters and objects people have made, I've re-calibrated by expectations a notch or two 'above' what they were originally. I'm telling you now, people are not prepared for the quality we're going to get. I've seen some sculpts today that blew my mind. No exaggeration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom