• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams Wins Best Of Gamescom Award

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Now, if only the media would start showing the truly creative talent in Dreams instead of jumping on the copies of IPs for hits, perhaps more people would take notice. It's a truly sad situation when a media, notorious for complaining about milked IPs and 'lack of innovation' in said IPs, only get excited about Dreams when it does the very thing they rail against. It's not 'a good thing' as some people seem to think. They only think it's a good thing because it's the only time the media take notice. It's a BAD thing in the long run because Dreams then gets associated with janky versions of much better games and then we enter the 'it's good for Dreams' sphere of thinking, which didn't do LBP any favours at all. Originality is what matters and Dreams is brimming with it. Most people won't know that ... I wonder why ...?

Dreams, the multi-game video game and game creation platform developed by British studio Media Molecule has been voted the Best of Gamescom 2019.

The original title, published by Sony Interactive Entertainment and released on PlayStation 4 earlier this year, turns players into game developers, providing a sandbox full of digital tools for them to create user-generated content in the form of fully fledged video games, as well as music, art and 3D sculptures, to share with other players. The video games so created can be played within Dreams.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Well deserved, the time is now to release the game.
giphy.gif

Galactic_Imp86

Neo Member
Off topic:
You can try my 2D beach volley (2players) lvl in the game!

OP, why you mad about Dreams having demos that run like tech demos? The game will never be able to make a player create a solid AA game. Dreams is about cultivating creativity and dabbling into the art of video game development. So what if it ends up with generic tech demos? Atleast people will now know how hard and difficult developing great games really is and develop a much needed appreciation of the medium itself.

Last edited:

Galactic_Imp86

Neo Member
OP, why you mad about Dreams having demos that run like tech demos? The game will never be able to make a player create a solid AA game. Dreams is about cultivating creativity and dabbling into the art of video game development. So what if it ends up with generic tech demos? Atleast people will now know how hard and difficult developing great games really is and develop a much needed appreciation of the medium itself.
Remember these words of yours when grand amazing games start to coming out for it...It already has magnificent game creations in its early access stage...

Kagey K

Banned

Somebody on here told me once that Dreams was going to help prisoners get out of jail because they would have a marketable skill making games.

Has that happened yet?

Because until it happens I will consider it a flop, based on their hyperbole.

Somebody on here told me once that Dreams was going to help prisoners get out of jail because they would have a marketable skill making games.

Has that happened yet?

Because until it happens I will consider it a flop, based on their hyperbole.
Either he was trolling or stupid. Can't take one person's silly perspective and hold it as some kind of standard, Kagey K Kagey K :messenger_winking_tongue: in all seriousness though, there was hyperbole around Dreams but I still think it's a fantastic piece of software that streamlines game development in a nEw and accessible way. Will you be able to make games like Uncharted, Halo, etc? Absolutely not! But can you make a game similar to Journey, Ori, etc? Possibly.

Kagey K

Banned
Either he was trolling or stupid. Can't take one person's silly perspective and hold it as some kind of standard, Kagey K Kagey K :messenger_winking_tongue: in all seriousness though, there was hyperbole around Dreams but I still think it's a fantastic piece of software that streamlines game development in a nEw and accessible way. Will you be able to make games like Uncharted, Halo, etc? Absolutely not! But can you make a game similar to Journey, Ori, etc? Possibly.
I know, it was a long time ago, but he was just so adamant about the situation that he/she didn’t realize how absurd it sounded, and no amount of reasoning could convince them otherwise.

Galactic_Imp86

Neo Member
Of course this was hyperbole and somewhat bs.

Our minds have to run comparisons in order to understand how big you can get in dreams but the thing is,this is not the right way to do it imo!

Dreams isnt a place where you can mimic indies...Is much more than that actually!If you are skilled enough and you are ready for some pain you can make things surprizingly polished...

Take a look at this if you havent already:

Of course this was hyperbole and somewhat bs.

Our minds have to run comparisons in order to understand how big you can get in dreams but the thing is,this is not the right way to do it imo!

Dreams isnt a place where you can mimic indies...Is much more than that actually!If you are skilled enough and you are ready for some pain you can make things surprizingly polished...

Take a look at this if you havent already:

rsz_1rsz_5z1dito.png

Vawn

Banned
Is this still active? Seems awfully quiet. Is it still getting sn "official: release ever?

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Is this still active? Seems awfully quiet. Is it still getting sn "official: release ever?

The thread about it on here is basically the same fella posting over and over again with practically no interest shown from anyone else.

Really can't see this being the mega hit / life changing experience some have said it would be :messenger_neutral:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The thread about it on here is basically the same fella posting over and over again with practically no interest shown from anyone else.

Really can't see this being the mega hit / life changing experience some have said it would be :messenger_neutral:

I'm not sure I've ever seen that expressed at all. It certainly guarantees a 'winning' position from your perspective though. At least now, if Dreams is a success and people learn to appreciate it, you can say 'Yeah, but it's not the best thing ever ... so I win'. Well done.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure I've ever seen that expressed at all. It certainly guarantees a 'winning' position from your perspective though. At least now, if Dreams is a success and people learn to appreciate it, you can say 'Yeah, but it's not the best thing ever ... so I win'. Well done.

You're too touchy when anyone says ANYTHING about this Dreams stuff. Your obsession with it isn't healthy.

Humdinger

It's taking so long to come out, I keep forgetting about it. It's very hard to sustain any hype/momentum under those circumstances.

Vawn

Banned
It's taking so long to come out, I keep forgetting about it. It's very hard to sustain any hype/momentum under those circumstances.

But it basically is out. It is for sale on the store and playable. It hasn't "officially" released, but that seems more marketing strategy.

nikolino840

Well..devs works with m+k plus years of studies with 3d modelling and devs softwares....Dreams Is the light version of What a Dev do...

Humdinger

But it basically is out. It is for sale on the store and playable. It hasn't "officially" released, but that seems more marketing strategy.

I thought the developer-constructed narrative portion (the campaign) was still being worked on? I would need that, for it to feel complete. I understand it is available for people who want to build their own games, but that's not me. I'm interested in playing others' games (the well-done ones, anyhow). MM's own game would be a big part of that.

Psykodad

Banned
I thought the developer-constructed narrative portion (the campaign) was still being worked on? I would need that, for it to feel complete. I understand it is available for people who want to build their own games, but that's not me. I'm interested in playing others' games (the well-done ones, anyhow). MM's own game would be a big part of that.
It's still in development. We just have early access to the creator tools and if I understood correctly we don't even have access to all the creator functions yet.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You're too touchy when anyone says ANYTHING about this Dreams stuff. Your obsession with it isn't healthy.

It's odd because I know when I do that people get touchy ... Has it ever occurred to any of you that I'm doing it on purpose because I find the reactions funny? Whether you like it or hate it makes no difference to me whatsoever. Please continue. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom