• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drinky Puppy colored dancing bananas thread(40/40 lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JackFrost2012 said:
If Nintendogs is a 40/40 then stop this industry, because I want the hell off. "Haters" aren't owned - the only people "owned" here are Famitsu reviewers, who have produced a review score of such mind-boggling inaccuracy that it harms not only their magazine, but the entire game industry by proxy.

Geezus, dude grow the fuck up.

Have you even played the game?

I will laugh my ass off if this becomes a hit franchise just to see Drinky go nuts.

duckroll

Damn I got to sleep for half a day and this is how the heavens punish me? Bah fuck this.

*duckroll INVOKES THE DRINKY!

Let's see what you motherfuckers have to say when this is over! :lol :lol :lol

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
soundwave05 said:
Geezus, dude grow the fuck up.

Have you even played the game?

I will laugh my ass off if this becomes a hit franchise just to see Drinky go nuts.
reading comprehension -1 he said he owned and liked the game, and he has said as much in other nintendogs threads.

JackFrost2012 said:
It's possible to like a game - a lot - and not think it deserves 40/40.

Just to make sure everyone understands that.

FUCK!!

Its your opinion against that of others like in the case of all reviews

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
ThongyDonk said:
Its your opinion against that of others like in the case of all reviews
His opinion on the quality of the game has little bearing on the fact that he stated which is that it is possible to like a game a ton and not think it was 40/40.

Listen guys I would love to see this thread get filled with hate and vitrol, but if you are going to call Jackfrost out on this then you should at least do it right and not say dumb shit. I guess I have to wait for MAF or Drinky to really start this fire off right.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
scola said:
His opinion on the quality of the game has little bearing on the fact that he stated which is that it is possible to like a game a ton and not think it was 40/40.

Listen guys I would love to see this thread get filled with hate and vitrol, but if you are going to call Jackfrost out on this then you should at least do it right and not say dumb shit.

I think he's saying that its Jackfrost's opinion that it's not a 40/40 game versus their opinion that it is. It's all just opinions.

I got the game four days before its official street date. I've been playing it for about a half hour a day every day since then.

The gameplay in Nintendogs is a Tamagotchi with adorable 3D graphics, rudimentary touchscreen headtracking, and janky microphone support. The gameplay on a 1997-era Tamagotchi is more complex, actually, as they can age/die. Nintendogs just stay young puppies forever.

There are no "environments," beyond square, bounded rooms. There are no items that actually affect your dogs in any way beyond short visual canned animation loops. (I suppose that some of the sports items may change your dogs' physical endurance, but there's no indication of this.) There is nothing to "do" except feed/water/clean your dog, toss it some toys, take it for walks, and throw a frisbee / compete in "agility" dog show / compete in obedience dog show.

If I were reviewing the game on a 10 point scale, I'd give it at least an 8, maybe a 9. It's good, it's cute. But it's shallow. That's different from simple ... simple can be good. Shallow means that, honestly, there's not that much to do in Nintendogs. The game has no meat to it. As ThongyDonk says, you "get in what you put out," but the game is designed around severely restrained inputs.

It is a Tamagotchi with adorable 3D graphics, rudimentary touchscreen headtracking, and janky microphone support. And Famitsu has declared it a "perfect" game. A shallow puppy poking sim -- not "raising" - that implies some sort of change over time. And, like a Tamagotchi, Nintendogs is virtually guaranteed to wear out its welcome in a few weeks. That's why I'm in such disbelief.

JackFrost2012 said:
I got the game four days before its official street date. I've been playing it for about a half hour a day every day since then.

The gameplay in Nintendogs is a Tamagotchi with adorable 3D graphics, rudimentary touchscreen headtracking, and janky microphone support. The gameplay on a 1997-era Tamagotchi is more complex, actually, as they can age/die. Nintendogs just stay young puppies forever.

There are no "environments," beyond square, bounded rooms. There are no items that actually affect your dogs in anyway beyond short visual canned animation loops. There is nothing to "do" except feed/water/clean your dog, take it for a walk, and throw a frisbee / compete in "agility" dog show / compete in obedience dog show.

If I were reviewing the game on a 10 point scale, I'd give it at least an 8, maybe a 9. It's good, it's cute. But it's shallow. That's different from simple ... simple is good. Shallow means that, honestly, there's not that much to do in Nintendogs. The game has no meat.

It is a Tamagotchi with adorable 3D graphics, rudimentary touchscreen headtracking, and janky microphone support. And Famitsu has declared it a "perfect" game. A shallow puppy sim that, like a Tamagotchi, will likely wear out its welcome in a few weeks. That's why I'm in such disbelief.

I remember when Pokemon first came out people said the same thing.

History is about to repeat itself.

Cold-Steel said:

Nintendogs is no Pokemon. Pokemon had 1) actual gameplay 2) longevity 3) community. Nintendogs has none of these things.

duckroll

All TRUE GAF gamers (and Drinky Crow our savior) have this to say about Famitsu and about Nintendogs:

fuckyou.jpg

aku:jiki

Cold-Steel said:

That doesn't even make sense. Anyone can see that Pokemon quite clearly is an RPG (lite, if you wish) that contains a collecting/breeding aspect. And anyone can see, especially after JackFrost's posts, that Nintendogs does not contain any kind of game.

Personally, I'm not bothered by the actual score, I just don't see why non-games are being reviewed (and scored, especially) by gaming magazines. Are PC game mags going to start reviewing Photoshop now, or what?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the game deserves the score, but still you can't help but wonder if this indeed will become the next portable 'fad' since Pokemon. At the very least it has some potential to sell fairly well in Japan after a perfect score from Famitsu and it's first week sales of over 100k units.

JackFrost2012 said:
"haha Famitsu doesn't actually play the games they review."

The sad thing is, this is the reality. And this is the result. It had to happen sooner or later.

Otherwise: GAF am explode.

aku:jiki said:
That doesn't even make sense. Anyone can see that Pokemon quite clearly is an RPG (lite, if you wish) that contains a collecting/breeding aspect. And anyone can see, especially after JackFrost's posts, that Nintendogs does not contain any kind of game.

Personally, I'm not bothered by the actual score, I just don't see why non-games are being reviewed (and scored, especially) by gaming magazines. Are PC game mags going to start reviewing Photoshop now, or what?

It is a game.

It's sort of like saying a film critic shouldn't review The Blair Witch Project because its not a traditional movie.

Even JackFrost who's flipping out says he'd give the game at least an 8, maybe a 9/10.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Exactly how is it a game?

You play with dogs. Game.

The definition of game is pretty broad you know. Not all games will be of traditional structure or focus, but that doesn't mean they don't qualify.

It's amazing how serious some people seem to be taking all this. These "non-games" aren't going to come along and eat up all the "real games" you enjoy. Meanwhile other people will probably enjoy these "non-games" a lot - are their opinions any less valid than yours? The "casual-isation" of the industry started a long time ago, it's a little late to start drawing lines. The industry is big enough for all of 'em, so who cares?

soundwave05 said:
It's sort of like saying a film critic shouldn't review The Blair Witch Project because its not a traditional movie.

Blair Witch has characters, settings, and both major and minor story arcs. Exactly how is it not a "traditional movie"?

Nintendogs is beset by large swaths of no gameplay. Not poor gameplay, not shallow gameplay, but missing gameplay. That's the difference.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

what? they review releases on consoles. the ds happens to be the console in question here, so the item is reviewed. what is the definition of a 'game' that people are having trouble with here?

i'm actually finding it quite hilarious how angry this has made people - get over it, it's someone's opinion, and it doesnt' agree with others. but i think it's taking it a little too far when someone starts spouting off that it harms the game industry 'by proxy'.
give me a fucking break :lol

Borat

Banned
gofreak said:

The definition of game is pretty broad you know. Not all games will be of traditional structure or focus, but that doesn't mean they don't qualify.

It's amazing how serious some people seem to be taking all this. These "non-games" aren't going to come along and eat up all the "real games" you enjoy. The industry is big enough for all of 'em, so who cares?

Exactly. If Nintendogs isn't a game, then neither is The Sims.

JackFrost2012 said:
Blair Witch has characters, settings, and both major and minor story arcs. Exactly how is it not a "traditional movie"?

Nintendogs is beset by large swaths of no gameplay. Not poor gameplay, not shallow gameplay, but missing gameplay. That's the difference.

Well you could say the same thing about a documentary. Its a different type of filmmaking, but film critics still review them.

It's not a traditional game, but c'mon it's still a video game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why is shallow bad? Animal Crossing was shallow, but lots of fun. Nintendogs sounds the same.

Innovation is something that may justify a higher than normal score, but I'd agree that its not innovative, as its just a rehash of many other virtual pet type games.

Maybe its just a lot of fun?

Kseutron

gofreak said:

It's amazing how serious some people seem to be taking all this. These "non-games" aren't going to come along and eat up all the "real games" you enjoy. The industry is big enough for all of 'em, so who cares?

some guys are too narrow minded to understand that

no huge monster boss to kill > omg its not a game !

Television has reality TV shows.

Filmmaking has documentary.

Fiction novels have non-fiction.

But you don't classify those things as an entirely different medium.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly how is it a game?
Quake is just shooting things. It's a game.
Gran Turismo is just driving and tuning cars. It's a game.
Nintendogs is a dog training simulator. It's a game.

And a game that scores very hightly (acording to a scan - remember) in what is arguably the most respected videogame journalistic outlet in the world. After the amazing SPOnG of course. :p

Get. Over. It.

Borat said:
Exactly. If Nintendogs isn't a game, then neither is The Sims.

Suppose that The Sims took place in one square room with an unchangeable layout, no architectural tools and no furniture. There was a limit of three Sims per player (one, at first, thanks to financial realities). Your Sim had no differentiating statistics that the player was aware of. Your Sim had no career or other responsibilities. Your sim had no desires/needs that had to be fulfilled (you could fulfill them, but it wasn't necessary). Your Sim would never do anything autonomously. There were no other Sims in the neighborhood with which your Sim could interact. There was only one kind of Sim item, "Toy," and all the items did was show an animation of your Sim playing with the toy.

If you wanted to argue that was still a game, then I'd probably I'd allow it. But if you wanted me to believe this new version of "The Sims" was a 40/40 - while the Sims was hovering in the 32 range - then I'd sure as hell call you on it.

aku:jiki

julls said:
what? they review releases on consoles.
Right. What did they score the linux kit for PS2 again, or perhaps the Motion Gravure titles? I forget so easily.

temp said:
How isn't it a game?
No clear goals or purpose, no um...you know, actual gameplay?

Edit: Yeah, I guess Jack's post explains that better since he actually has the, um, piece of software.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JackFrost2012 said:
If you wanted to argue that was still a game, then I'd probably I'd allow it. But if you wanted me to believe this new version of "The Sims" was a 40/40 - while the Sims was hovering in the 32 range - then I'd sure as hell call you on it.

It is a game, imo, but fair enough re. the score. That's your opinion. Theirs is theirs.

The world still spins.

Again: you play with dogs. Game.

A game doesn't require goals or purpose. And since academics argue endlessly over what "gameplay" actually means, I doubt you can provide an acceptable definition.

temp

posting on contract only
I know there isn't a lot to do, but there's something. So there's interactivity; interactivity you derive entertainment from. I think that fits the mold.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Right. What did they score the linux kit for PS2 again, or perhaps the Motion Gravure titles? I forget so easily.

well you don't exactly 'play' around with linux. :p

su <enter> OH SO ADORABLE

im not going to bother with semantics in terms of whether nintendogs is/isn't a game.
but i know linux isn't - its primary purpose is hardly to entertain you. but by my definition - you play with the stupid 3d dogs on nintendogs - it's a game. and it's too late now - it's already been reviewed :D

edit : and i'm aware that after i said i wouldn't, i did :p

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
JackFrost2012 said:
Suppose that The Sims took place in one square room with an unchangeable layout, no architectural tools and no furniture. There was a limit of three Sims per player (one, at first, thanks to financial realities). Your Sim had no differentiating statistics that the player was aware of. Your Sim had no career or other responsibilities. Your sim had no desires/needs that had to be fulfilled (you could fulfill them, but it wasn't necessary). Your Sim would never do anything autonomously. There were no other Sims in the neighborhood with which your Sim could interact. There was only one kind of Sim item, "Toy," and all the items did was show an animation of your Sim playing with the toy.

Sims has piece of crap sims

Nintendogs has dogs

DOGS

need I remind you?

DOGS!!
adorable cuddly dogs, you cannot escape this fact, the dogs pwn

_Angelus_

Banned
So in other words its like playing those god awful Sega CD fmv games from the early 90's? Ok,got it.:/

Let's all go play SewerShark and Night Trap:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom