• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaga

ib1ZUf3nIxgpRs.png

there-it-is.gif

T-0800

Mid-80s is being way too optimistic. I'd say upper 70s is appropriate given the lack of weather, photo mode, and poor car selection.

I don't understand this world anymore.

After the reviews for Destiny and Wonderful 101 I don't really care what they say.

I don't understand this world anymore.

As much as I anticipate the game, I fear that reviews will focus on the year-long delay and that it STILL appears to be unfinished. All the gorgeous weather GIFs we're seeing are not in the review version. Same for replay and photomode. That said: can't wait to get my hands on this. As I said before, I'm picking up a PS4 for this (finally).

T-0800

As much as I anticipate the game, I fear that reviews will focus on the year-long delay and that it STILL appears to be unfinished. All the gorgeous weather GIFs we're seeing are not in the review version. Same for replay and photomode. That said: can't wait to get my hands on this. As I said before, I'm picking up a PS4 for this (finally).

Doesn't make any sense. Review the game for what it is and what sort of clown marks down a game for being delayed? Does FIFA get +3 for coming out each year? Explains the reviews for those games I suppose.

If a review marks the game down for missing weather and photoe mode I hope they edit their review when those things are patched in.

Certinty

I appreciate Evo adding features in free updates for the game, but really it is quite amazing most of these things aren't already in the game for launch.

Doesn't make any sense. Review the game for what it is and what sort of clown marks down a game for being delayed? Does FIFA get +3 for coming out each year? Explains the reviews for those games I suppose.

If a review marks the game down for missing weather and photoe mode I hope they edit their review when those things are patched in.

I don't give a f*** what those omniscient reviewers say. The game looks superb, has great sound effects, a challenging AI, a tremendous sense of speed, a good car and tracks selection and, from the impressions, feels great as far as handling goes. Sounds like a must buy to me...

mrklaw

MrArseFace

a delay shouldn't affect a score. We've seen games delayed before. It isn't like Driveclub has had blanket marketing like watchdogs for three years before release.

And if post launch DLC to bring extra features suddenly makes the core game 'unfinished', then there are a lot of unfinished games out there.

a delay shouldn't affect a score. We've seen games delayed before. It isn't like Driveclub has had blanket marketing like watchdogs for three years before release.

And if post launch DLC to bring extra features suddenly makes the core game 'unfinished', then there are a lot of unfinished games out there.

I fully agree with you, but I'm just expecting some reviews to go along these lines.

For someone that has the game already, how is the single-player content? I don't mind multiplayer races, but I can rarely plan or commit time for particular sessions. The time challenge stuff is something that I can do at my own leisure, right?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It is, and from memory it was even brought up during an interview with Rushy as something he'd not even considered but could work with. I think it's a fantastic idea, and the mentalimage of something developing not unlike a Fast and Furious-style club setting is pretty damn awesome. And that it's restricted to only 6 people, so before long it becomes a fight to stay in that club and not just join up to it.

I'm a free agent, if anyone's looking ;)

I just hope that 10yrs on from PGR2/RSC2/Burnout 2 I still have what it takes. I've noticed my skills have started deteriorating over the last couple of years now I am in my 40s. *sad face*

Although driving a few thousand kilometres a week for a living in cars, trucks and on a motorbike should be keeping me in check. ;^)

kriskrosbbk

People that already play the game,is there an arcade mode (pick a car,pick a track ,3,2,1, GO?) or there are only events in the SP?

I fully agree with you, but I'm just expecting some reviews to go along these lines.

For someone that has the game already, how is the single-player content? I don't mind multiplayer races, but I can rarely plan or commit time for particular sessions. The time challenge stuff is something that I can do at my own leisure, right?

This game is meant to be a social racer first and single player content is there but the focus is Multi player and evolving the experience around the players which they are planned to do for the next 6 months with free updates, DLC etc., . So, reviews should first think about this because the game they reviewed today may not be the same after 6 months unlike other games which stay same mostly other than addition of some content but not changes the overall experience like this game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This game is meant to be a social racer first and single player content is there but the focus is Multi player and evolving the experience around the players which they are planned to do for the next 6 months with free updates, DLC etc., . So, reviews should first think about this because the game they reviewed today may not be the same after 6 months unlike other games which stay same mostly other than addition of some content but not changes the overall experience like this game.

but it isn't traditionally multiplayer - i.e it is asynchronous multiplayer a lot of the time with scores from your friends list etc populating tracks or sections of a track (like the cornering challenges).

You can play 'proper' multiplayer with others too, but you can still play it fully single player and still have that social integration.

Haven't played it fully myself yet, but the concept does sound a bit like an expansion on Motorstorm RC which was also by Evo. That did a great job of constantly drip feeding you new things to do and new people to beat.

dumbo

Yeah that's puzzling to me, normally auto headlights would come on in the dark, not when there are bright lights :-/ Maybe someone could clear up why they should be triggered.

I assume the trigger is the opposite (sensor detects a rapid decrease in lighting at the end of the flash - and turns on the dashboard lighting).

People that already play the game,is there an arcade mode (pick a car,pick a track ,3,2,1, GO?) or there are only events in the SP?

well you can create challenges right? I assume that mean you should be able to create your own 'events', so basically the arcade mode you mention.

They almost certainly will not. Because the whole gaming review culture is extremely flawed. All the sites and publications think about rushing their reviews out first and any responsibility in their methods comes a distant second.

Although perhaps it's not their fault that some people use reviews as the sole barometer of how good a title is.

I don't know whether to drive in cockpit view or hood-cam. I'm going with hood-cam for Forza Horizon 2....but these latest DC GIFs are making me seriously consider cockpit view. All those reflections and details, I don't want to miss out on them. Choices, choices.

No doubt I'll end up switching between the two every 5 seconds, lol.

BrunoM

I don't get that EMP effect really.Anyone can explain this to me?
It's the same thing as my real life car lol

When you see the fire work go off you can notice that it gets darker around the car cousing the car that's being used (that just like my real car) has an light sensor that turns your head lights and there for in car lights on ...

So they basically created REAL light detection in "in" game

nsignific

Banned
Guarentee you the major complaint will be not enough content for 60 bucks.
Stale, lack of variety, etc....even though similar racing games like PGR3 and Grid1 were rated highly.

This was my first thought when they issued the warning. I'm thinking something along the lines of Destiny - promises for future content but way too little for the initial asking price.

You guys are seriously reaching with this firework gif.

The ambient light sensor on the car would not trigger the lights the moment the environment gets brighter, then deactivate immediately after the firework dies down lol.

DOWN

Banned
Oh, fuck me. :/

Does it have to be Gamestop? Is Amazon ok? If not then is there any benefit to pre-ordering at all digitally?
THE CARS ARE IN THE FULL GAME. Skins are the only real exclusive and the cars can all be earned in the full game without pre-order.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
It's the same thing as my real life car lol

When you see the fire work go off you can notice that it gets darker around the car cousing the car that's being used (that just like my real car) has an light sensor that turns your head lights and there for in car lights on ...

So they basically created REAL light detection in "in" game

..or a REAL scripted event that makes the lights light up when the firework is triggered. Might of course be completely wrong here, but just a thought.

Bastos

Some basics:

Racing lines.

- approach a corner from the outside, I.E lefthand turn is approached from the right side of the track.
- Steer into the corner to touch the apex of the corner from the inside. At this point you will want to accelerate again.
- Let the power of the car and natural flow of the track push you back to the outside of the corner you took.

Braking.

- Brake before the corners.
- Breaking in a corner messes up your racing line and causes over/understeer.

Accelerating.

- Ease on the throttle with powerful cars, immediately going flat out will spin the car when exiting corners.
- Start accelerating after the apex of a corner.
- After breaking for a corner you can apply a neutral throttle during the corners.
Thanks a lot for taking your time and answering my questions :)

As soon as I get home I'll put those into practice in a single event so I can focus on cornering, braking, etc.

First time I've been so excited because of a Racing Game :D

Kssio_Aug

The ambient light sensor on the car would not trigger the lights the moment the environment gets brighter, then deactivate immediately after the firework dies down lol.

Thats what I thought, but since Ive questioned some other aspects on this game I fear they would call me a hater. Nothing mind blowing there but a sense that it doesnt feel right.

In real life, you'd probably be right, but that's clearly what happens in that GIF. It may not be 100% accurate, but I think the fact they even included that in-game is awesome.

SgtCobra

Mid-80s is being way too optimistic. I'd say upper 70s is appropriate given the lack of weather, photo mode, and poor car selection.
Photo mode is a defining factor which can up a score by decimals confirmed.
Car selection is something completely subjective, I for example think it's fine.

some cars do have an ambient light sensor controlling the dash light, however this is often for when headlights are off.

"
Technical product information Transaction No.: 2025889/4

Service info: electrics: dash insert light too dark, doesn't work, brilliance changes unexpectedly Release date: 23-Jan-2012

Customer statement / workshop findings

Customer statement:

The illumination of dash insert (scales, background, screen) intermittently fails when driving.

Workshop findings:

The customer perceives a change of the dash insert illumination to the ambient brightness.

This happens with switched-off vehicle light or in the operating type Auto in vehicles with automatic vehicle light control.

Technical background

Depending on the time of day (day, dawn/dusk, night) and the related brightness, the illumination of the dash insert changes.

As the ambient brightness diminishes the illumination of the dash insert is significantly reduced, for example when entering a tunnel or underground car park or during dusk) to alert the driver to switch on the vehicle light.

When the vehicle light is switched on (night operation), the illumination of the dash insert changes and the scales, background and screen can be seen again"

vag cars:

"The dash illuminates at dawn/dusk for safety as well. If there's more light in front of the car than at the back the dash is brighter so you can see your instrumentation cluster while driving towards the sun in those conditions. It's to compensate for lighting, not to brighten up when it's dark. When it's dark you turn on your headlights and the dash illuminates accordingly. It's on the manual."

DOWN

Banned
Unless the player has manual lights control, I don't understand why they come on when leaving the tunnel for the brighter outside.
Many cars have screens and gauges that are brighter if in daylight (like your phone screen) or can be set to tie to headlights, so in the tunnel where it was dark and your lights would turn on in real life, your screen and gauge lights would go from bright to dim because it takes much less light to see the gauges when backlit in a dark space.

EDIT: yeah this

Modern cars brighten the dashboard lights to compensate for brighter outdoor lighting. When my car turns on the headlights automatically as it gets darker, it also dims the dashboard backlight. Likewise when you turn off the headlights, the dash gets brighter.

..or a REAL scripted event that makes the lights light up when the firework is triggered. Might of course be completely wrong here, but just a thought.
That's probably all it is.

Light sensors on cars don't react instantaneously to changes in light.

I'd go as far as saying the firework brightness wasn't even bright enough to compared to the existing lighting conditions to activate an ambient light sensor.

I'm sure it was just an event that was meant to look cool. Overanalysing everything is a part of game anticipation so I blame no one.

I have a very peculiar problem. I just won't have enough time for everything. Shadow of Mordor, now matter how good it seems to be, has to take a pass. I'll probably get it for Christmas or something. I am still playing Destiny like crazy, and now this game is right around the corner ( and I assume it will be a time-muncher, just like Destiny ). And then, on top of all of this, I'm getting Smash for the 3DS tomorrow. How do I fit all of these time-consuming games into my life? I'm ( positively ) screwed.

Still, can't wait to get my hands on this one. I haven't really dived into a car-game since Forza 4, so this is a welcome addition to my gaming-library.

Back in the year 2000 when GT was changing things up with offering 300 cars or whatever I thought that was a novel idea too. But really, when it is all said and done, you end up with maybe 10 cars you drive on a regular basis anyway. And it is never the 1996 Honda. Its always the supercars and the luxury sports cars and such.

So I can't see this game getting hit for its car selection. As long as the cars that are offered are distinct and drive differently then one another and have their own strengths and weaknesses, then your good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom