• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PS Plus Edition Delayed by Server Issues

Do you think he or anyone at Evo would come out and blame Sony if it was a problem on their end?

Not to say that Rushy is lying, I expect Sony did provide enough servers, but I find it extremely unlikely a first party studio would come out and criticise their paymasters if they did something wrong.
If it was a hardware issue, it still could have been Evo's fault, perhaps underestimating how many they need.

Regardless, if it was Sony's fault, you're right. He probably wouldn't have said anything against Sony. In fact, he probably wouldn't have said anything at all. But he did say something, and I'm going to believe him.

stryke

The effect would actually be worse than the situation we have now. Most peple fail to understand the difference between Beta and Demo despite any "this game is not final" warnings when you boot.

As a consumer I don't think you should give a shit about how stupid people perceive demos or betas.

lewisgone

Woah, they still haven't released this? I had no idea the server issues were this bad.

A shame, because Sony have wasted a lot of the goodwill they were gaining by releasing such an expansive "free" version on the same day. Now people who held off on buying retail to try the game out have gone without playing any version for a while now. Must be frustrating for everyone involved.

Woah, they still haven't released this? I had no idea the server issues were this bad.

A shame, because Sony have wasted a lot of the goodwill they were gaining by releasing such an expansive "free" version on the same day. Now people who held off on buying retail to try the game out have gone without playing any version for a while now. Must be frustrating for everyone involved.

It is a pretty badly handled situation. I hope that Evolution have the sense to reward those of us who have paid for the game with a decent bit of free DLC.

That said, it is a really enjoyable game. It has top quality graphics and the lighting is phenomenal. It has enjoyable handling and the races and challenges are testing enough to keep you coming back.
It's a great pick up and play game too. I'm so glad they didn't go 'open world' with it and just concentrated on making great tracks instead.

Server issues aside the positives of this game far outweigh the negatives. I hope Evolution sort things out soon because I'm certain this game will receive good word-of-mouth once the demo actually hits.

But not to this extent. I should have been more specific. What I ment was people act like it doesn't happen anywhere else. And besides, when people were paying $30-60 on barebones online I really didn't hear anyone complaining; people were even defending it.

My guess is that you are brand new to the internet and videogames if you have not heard people complain about Comcast or paying for live last gen.

Live was MILES ahead of what the PS3 offered at launch a year after the 360 launch. It wasn't even comparable. PS3 didn't even have a unified friends list or trophies. Not even in the same league.

This is pathetic and people are voicing their opinion. Its bullshit.

My guess is that you are brand new to the internet and videogames if you have not heard people complain about Comcast or paying for live last gen.

Live was MILES ahead of what the PS3 offered at launch a year after the 360 launch. It wasn't even comparable. PS3 didn't even have a unified friends list or trophies. Not even in the same league.

Yes at launch the PS3 was leagues behind Live but you're mistaken in that part. PSN offered unified friend list from day one. However they didn't offer basic stuff like in-game XMB or background downloads which was preposterous.

d9b

Banned
Any new info? Is PSN update happening today? Hope we'll see some progress with server issues. If not, I don't see Plus edition hitting store any time soon.

Loudninja

Any new info? Is PSN update happening today? Hope we'll see some progress with server issues. If not, I don't see Plus edition hitting store any time soon.
Seems the online is working alot better for people.

Still not everyone can get on quite yet.

-PXG-

Who knows. Maybe I would have upgraded to the full version from the PS+ edition. If/ when it comes out, I probably won't even give enough of a shit to even bother downloading that to begin with.

Well, this is strange.

I received an updated PS Plus email newsletter during the weekend and it did not list DriveClub as one of the games of October. It also listed games as "free" which, given the number of people on GAF who believe it, is one of the greatest marketing wins in recent memory.

PS Plus games aren't free, folks.

BigDumbRocket

Neo Member
Rushy tweeted that it wasn't about the hardware - which is up to the task - its about the software. Specifically a concurrency issue related to how much activity they process per player.

which is worse? a software failure with bad quality assurance during testing or a hardware mistake? not sure I can answer that!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
which is worse? a software failure with bad quality assurance during testing or a hardware mistake? not sure I can answer that!

Coming a year late and showing a critical misunderstanding of how to develop a constantly connected social game like this and clearly not running sufficient enough stress testing, its definitely the software failure as the worst.

You could just throw hardware at the problem if it was just a "oops, seems to be really popular!" but essentially Evo created a game that DDoSes its own servers. Not a good amateurish look for a studio already on shaky ground.

The PS+ Version was supposed to be a huge net positive as well to lure people into the full version, but its now been transformed into a negative across the board. Not delivered, the main game already received middling reviews, and also clearly features a broken online system at its core.

Thats a lot of strikes.

pixelbox

At the end of the day you were just paying for uniformity and online play which is pathetic to justify imo. Psn "got the job done with little inconvenience and was free. You've missed or ignored my entire point which was every paid service has issues period. It's not embarrassing or pathetic, it's life and you move on. It's inconvenient but shit, talk about entitlement.

Megasoum

Banned
Evo can't even link to their right server update post

JvBezYT.png

DRIVECLUB
‏@DRIVECLUB
13/10 Latest #DRIVECLUB info on continual server upgrades & online play --> http://on.fb.me/1vcrELw Please RT this info.

Gray Matter

Where are all the people who were saying "just wait a few days" and "were not entitled to anything"?

Are you frustrated as I am now?

Gestault

This has been an unfortunate week for this game. I was hoping that the holiday would mean free time to play this, but I guess not. This is to the point of frustration.

It's a fun game.

But it's absolutely hilarious that the game's entire purpose, from development to it's marketing has been in regards to it's social aspect - sorry - it's #social aspect and yet it's been offline for an entire week. The asynchronous aspect of it's multiplayer isn't even functional yet.

How does this happen? The game was already delayed almost a full year and then...this? Lol holy shit, I'd love to know the behind the scenes story of this game. It would probably be fascinating.

Gray Matter

Yeah because millions of people signing in wouldn't cause anything to meltdown. GTA online worked for me after the first 12 hours.

This can't handle a few thousand people on one system.

I guess you were one of the lucky ones. I didn't play it until a week later.

Yeah because millions of people signing in wouldn't cause anything to meltdown. GTA online worked for me after the first 12 hours.

Great for you but I got my character deleted over 20 times and couldn't connect for 3 weeks. Driveclub is hardly touching that tbh. Rockstar simply was not ready.

Dude, my friend and I lost our characters and progress several times in the first week. Rockstar doesn't get a pass for that mess, regardless of how amazing GTAV as a whole is.

ViciousDS

Banned

psh, I couldn't do anything for almost the first week......characters deleted left and right....it was way worse then this. I at least during this past week got in a few times and stayed connected to level our club to level 11.

hydruxo

How does this happen? The game was already delayed almost a full year and then...this? Lol holy shit, I'd love to know the behind the scenes story of this game. It would probably be fascinating.

Yeah I just don't get it. Makes me wonder what they had a year ago when the game was originally supposed to launch. Probably nothing more than a name and a vertical slice. The game is probably fun but I can't fathom how they've managed to botch the launch this badly after having nearly a year to prepare.

Have to wonder if the ten month delay was actually because of this bug which would have haunted the game as a launch title, even worse than it is now.

Just let me play online damn it.

PS Plus games aren't free, folks.
I know right? You have to buy a Playstation console, a PS+ subscription, pay for an Internet connection, and be on the electricity grid.

Alternatively, given that PS+ games cost $0.00 for PS+ subscribers it's probably easier to call them free PS+ games. I mean you could call them "games that cost zero dollars and zero cents for PS+ subscribers", but that seems a little wordy to me :p

At the end of the day you were just paying for uniformity and online play which is pathetic to justify imo. Psn "got the job done with little inconvenience and was free. You've missed or ignored my entire point which was every paid service has issues period. It's not embarrassing or pathetic, it's life and you move on. It's inconvenient but shit, talk about entitlement.

It absolutely fucking blows my mind that:

Receiving the service I paid for = entitlement.

No wonder we have season passes for shit that's locked on disk. No wonder we have botched launches with no worthwhile load server testing. These companies have their users defending them to the death when anything goes wrong and people voice their opinion. Holy shit, they don't even need a PR team.

It absolutely fucking blows my mind that:

Receiving the service I paid for = entitlement.

No wonder we have season passes for shit that's locked on disk. No wonder we have botched launches with no worthwhile load server testing. These companies have their users defending them to the death when anything goes wrong and people voice their opinion. Holy shit, they don't even need a PR team.

People are acting like entitlement is inherently bad. It's thrown around as an insult by people who seemingly can't comprehend that it actually has meaning-- and in this instance it's certainly applicable.

Top Bottom