• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB: Tons of new Gamersyde HQ gameplay

Gestault

Just starting to watch these videos. Whoever modeled the sky needs a a big pat on the back. I've lost count of the number of times I was amazed by the cloud formations and the way they interact with lighting

It's a dynamic system to generate them.

benzy

Just starting to watch these videos. Whoever modeled the sky needs a a big pat on the back. I've lost count of the number of times I was amazed by the cloud formations and the way they interact with lighting

Global illumination ftw.

viveks86

Also, the power lines? I'm not worried about them anymore. They're practically fixed. Whatever power line aliasing I notice seems very random and uncommon.

Power lines have now been demoted to the bottom of the IQ issues bucket.

IQ in general still has some problems but minor enough to rarely notice on TV. Would be great if they add more AA to photo mode.

Also, the power lines? I'm not worried about them anymore. They're practically fixed. Whatever power line aliasing I notice seems very random and uncommon.

Power lines have now been demoted to the bottom of the IQ issues bucket.

IQ in general still has some problems but minor enough to rarely notice on TV. Would be great if they add more AA to photo mode.
I couldn't care less abour photomode :p. One more round of AA in the game. One more round! One more round!

Meh, it will be fine.

High praise to evolution.. They should be really proud of this little gem.. Judging by the amount of shit posting and stealth concerned trolls in DC and The Order threads I must say this generation will be very difficult to bare for some... Life is a bitch isn't it ;)

Finally got a chance to view these videos after reading about them earlier. It is pretty mind boggling how far we have come in game graphics. I definitely think that the dawn/dusk lighting is the best in the videos. And I like the fact that the roads are designed like actual roads, they aren't just flat with curves, they slope... pretty cool.

Driving wise, I noticed that there isn't a lot of sliding around or really getting out of control in the videos. I thought there was some PGR linage in the team that built this, so I was expecting a little more drifting type driving. It could also just be the driving style of whoever put up the videos. Game looks great though and I am looking forward to trying it out.

Kssio_Aug

Finally got a chance to view these videos after reading about them earlier. It is pretty mind boggling how far we have come in game graphics. I definitely think that the dawn/dusk lighting is the best in the videos. And I like the fact that the roads are designed like actual roads, they aren't just flat with curves, they slope... pretty cool.

Driving wise, I noticed that there isn't a lot of sliding around or really getting out of control in the videos. I thought there was some PGR linage in the team that built this, so I was expecting a little more drifting type driving. It could also just be the driving style of whoever put up the videos. Game looks great though and I am looking forward to trying it out.

My thoughts aswell. Its visually pretty good, but Im not sure about its gameplay. It seems a bit like Ridge Racer to me by those videos.

We will only be sure about it with the Plus version though. Gonna try it for sure!

nib95

Banned
My thoughts aswell. Its visually pretty good, but Im not sure about its gameplay. It seems a bit like Ridge Racer to me by those videos.

We will only be sure about it with the Plus version though. Gonna try it for sure!

Firstly, just pretty good eh? Lol.

And what on Earth are you on about with the Ridge Racer comparison? It is no where near as arcadey, twitchy or slidey as Ridge Racer. As in, you've picked an Arcade racer to compare it to that is probably the farthest from DriveClub in gameplay or driving feedback as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5stanasVU

The sense of weight is closer to something like Shift, GRID or PGR, only perhaps slightly weightier.

And what on Earth are you on about with the Ridge Racer comparison? It is no where near as arcadey, twitchy or slidey as Ridge Racer. As in, you've picked an Arcade racer to compare it to that is probably the farthest from DriveClub in gameplay or driving feedback as possible.

The sense of weight is closer to something like Shift, GRID or PGR, only perhaps slightly weightier.

My god! The sound of the car in that Ridge Racer video was horrendous!

Shit sounded like a frozen NES game.

Tekku

Seems like every DriveClub thread turns into a graphics analysis thread. Too bad since there's so much more to this game than the visuals. Like the sound for example, or the sense of speed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My god! The sound of the car in that Ridge Racer video was horrendous!

Shit sounded like a frozen NES game.
Yeah, people complained about that at launch. RR7 has terrible engine sounds. Of course, I just turned it down a bit and cranked up the soundtrack.

Game still looks great today. 1080p60 launch title for the PS3.

Watched the gamersyde videos, and I have to concede that the IQ suffers from the muddy effect syndrom. There is some shimmering and aliasing issues that -at least to me- look a tad distracting. It is a shame seeing how phenomenal the lighting is, and how detailed cars and environments are. Still the most impressive racer out there, imo, just shy of what I thought it would be, especially looking back on some of the videos-gifs I had seen before...

No, that wasn't me. I haven't written about the game for DF.

That said, it looks much better right now than it did a year or so back when I first played it. Image quality is better, motion blur is hugely improved, and things seem more polished overall. Still, at 30 fps, I would have expected they could do more with image quality.

Still, it's not as impressive as I was hoping. Image quality is a huge part but also there's something about the terrain that doesn't quite sit right with me. The foliage and hills remind me of Far Cry 2 and 3 for some reason. They just don't look quite natural at times.

It definitely looks like an Evolution game, though. The Motorstorm titles all suffered many of the same flaws when you looked too closely but were sublime in motion.

Once again I have to agree with you darkx10, the b roll footage a few days ago looked so much better, the IQ just isn't that great.

Yeah, people complained about that at launch. RR7 has terrible engine sounds. Of course, I just turned it down a bit and cranked up the soundtrack.

Game still looks great today. 1080p60 launch title for the PS3.

Just try not to think of RRV on PS3. Funny how they went from very bad image quality to very clean 1080p the next generation.

Man, the image quality just isn't that great in the end. There's a lot of visible shimmering and, once again, texture filtering is lousy.

I mean, the game looks very nice, but it's disappointing to see so many tiny details created for this game only to have them compromised somewhat by relatively poor image quality.

Well, if the AF issue on consoles is bandwidth limits, then devs need to start using procedural texturing or maybe something like this -> 10GB of raw texture data running on an 8800gt 50fps @ 720p

Game looks decent. Not the graphical showcase I expected. At 1080p it looks totally fine but it doesn't have the iq I expected. Really hate to be another guy like this, but I so wish they had made motorstorm instead :(

You've been down on this game for as long as I can recall, Mr Jaggie. So don't come in here pretending to be oh-so disappointed all of a sudden.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
You've been down on this game for as long as I can recall, Mr Jaggie. So don't come in here pretending to be oh-so disappointed all of a sudden.

hey dont jump on me again. I know you liked to go through my post history. From like months ago, when loads of people said it looked jaggie. I made multiple posts saying i was blown away by the gifs. I still am. I'm sorry if that at 1080p on my pc monitor it doesn't look as impressive as I imagined. I am also apologising to you personally for expressing my opinion.

This game went from looking ok (to me) to looking incredible in some video's and gifs. Now I can see it in it's 1080p glory I can see that it looks good, but it also doesnt look earth shatteringly groundbreaking. there seems to be little AF and it has a muddier look to me. Am i wrong in saying there is white shimmering lines on red cars where the polygons connect? is that not a graphical anomaly? I don't think it's IQ is as good as other PS4 exclusives that's all.

Still looks decent and I am looking forward to trying it out on ps plus.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Hotdamn!

If this looks ''decent'', what looks ''great'' ?

Are you from the UK. I think that people are taking DECENT for too seriously. Where I am from Decent means good too. In slang. It looks Great :D Best looking racer no doubt.

I was just saying I thought it would look insane IQ wise. Like infamous. I remember motorstorm apocalype and pacific rim having a weird look it it's foliage and some textures looked kind of muddy with the motion blur. It has that same type of look to me. Kind of muddier colours. Dirty maybe, a kind of grimy look, that I both like and dislike at the same time. as in I like the grittier look, but I also really like the clean punchy look of infamous. I think i prefer that really clean look. I don't know. It's like the image doesnt have depth to me, it seems amazing yet flat. I am having trouble explaining maybe.

:D

The game looks v good no doubt. I just expected more with an extra year etc? No rag on EVO. I love their games I really do. I owned every motorstorm, and played them a lot. Pacific rim was like the only game I really played online with my friends on PS3. It was immense!

Nyx

Are you from the UK. I think that people are taking DECENT for too seriously. Where I am from Decent means good too. In slang. It looks Great :D Best looking racer no doubt.

I was just saying I thought it would look insane IQ wise. Like infamous. I remember motorstorm apocalype and pacific rim having a weird look it it's foliage and some textures looked kind of muddy with the motion blur. It has that same type of look to me. Kind of muddier colours. Dirty maybe, a kind of grimy look, that I both like and dislike at the same time. as in I like the grittier look, but I also really like the clean punchy look of infamous. I think i prefer that really clean look. I don't know. It's like the image doesnt have depth to me, it seems amazing yet flat. I am having trouble explaining maybe.

:D

The game looks v good no doubt. I just expected more with an extra year etc? No rag on EVO. I love their games I really do. I owned every motorstorm, and played them a lot. Pacific rim was like the only game I really played online with my friends on PS3. It was immense!

No but decent for me means ''just ok''

And looking at these vids I don't get that feeling.
But thanks for explaining!

Kssio_Aug

Watching some videos with the 3rd person camera I cant help but get remember of Ridge Racer (without those turbos and stuff). Not saying it will play like one, but the way the car seems to control/react to the enviroment just reminds me RR more then PGR or Grid. But as I said, I need to play to feel how it controls.

Its expected that kind of defensive post though. And yeah, "pretty good" is a pretty good adjective! Im just not as impressed as I thought I would be after seing some gifs and those almost perfect screenshots.

hey dont jump on me again. I know you liked to go through my post history. From like months ago, when loads of people said it looked jaggie. I made multiple posts saying i was blown away by the gifs. I still am. I'm sorry if that at 1080p on my pc monitor it doesn't look as impressive as I imagined. I am also apologising to you personally for expressing my opinion.

This game went from looking ok (to me) to looking incredible in some video's and gifs. Now I can see it in it's 1080p glory I can see that it looks good, but it also doesnt look earth shatteringly groundbreaking. there seems to be little AF and it has a muddier look to me. Am i wrong in saying there is white shimmering lines on red cars where the polygons connect? is that not a graphical anomaly? I don't think it's IQ is as good as other PS4 exclusives that's all.

Still looks decent and I am looking forward to trying it out on ps plus.

I don't need to look through your post history, you're pretty memorable as it is.

Just watch these on a 55" TV, and WOW. Anybody that says this is not one of the best looking games ever made needs to have an eyeball transplant, or a brain transplant. Was expecting it to look good but not like this. Can't wait for next week. And the jagged that people want to scream about are barely noticeable while watching the game in motion.

And Blimblim, bravo man. From the start, your website has been in a league of its own.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I don't need to look through your post history, you're pretty memorable as it is.

Thanks I think we all would like to be memorable, and I'm glad for you that it's in a good way :) I'll make the tea and biscuits and I challenge you to beat my drive club times? Let's be friends. I don't like hostility

Krisprolls

Banned
Rain :

qmzfuo.gif

Wow, this one is 100 % real life. No other game on any platform comes close graphically.

Top Bottom