• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub's Last Hurrah - The King is Dead, Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
rcZBtVb.png

The King is Dead. Long Live the King. For I live by the rule of Driveclub, but I see the rule end.

7 long years passed, with many calling the throne their own. Lies, the lot of them.

Abandoned by the maker, left to fight with its own devices, a good fight was fought. But come this November, a new challenger arises in the Horizon.

Fueled by magic of teraflops instead of the magic of dreams, it threatens the throne by brute force alone, but a threat nonetheless.

Goodbye Driveclub.... may you one day be reborn in the forges of emulation, all chrome and shiny.

Driveclub Hurrah!

- HD and Sound on -

...Lets remember those forgotten, how you lived:

...And how you inspired:

Kuranghi

Those rain shaders are amzing, the one where its creeping up the windshield glass and getitng batted back down by the wiper gave me flashbacks to travelling down to see my extended family in the car when I was a tiny Kuranghi.

The one with the red car must be what it looks like after you've starred in a bukkake video. Its nice to be able to see from a woman's perspective every once in a while, makes you more empathetic.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The gifs always blow me away. But I remember at the time getting this thing for free and honestly barely being into it.

Either my tastes have changed, or I just didn't enjoy it. I've been into FH4 because it's a little more arcade racer friendly, and even that is right on the border of too much sim for my tastes.

It might no longer be the most technically advanced game anymore but it still just looks fucking ace. Its a shame that Sony didnt just delay the game for a bit longer so they could add some content and work out some of the issues before launching.

It was one of the few games that nailed the arcadey/sim balance. Cars would understeer and oversteer but correcting them was fairly easy and it just always felt like you were driving on the ragged edge. When you were fast around a lap, you felt like you were really pushing the limits of the car. There arent a lot of games that get this right.

Last edited:
Beautiful game with serious control issues. Same problem as Project Cars. I still enjoyed Driveclub and had fun with the scoring system and competing with friends. I wish another Sony dev would have picked it up and made it a regular series because most of the ideas were great.

Wizz-Art

I thought Forza Horizon 3 and 4 were a lot better looking and so did millions of others and reviews reflected that.

Loved every minute of it. Thought a sequel was a no brainer after such a strong season pass of content output. I bought it day one, had no problem that the multiplayer was a mess because i enjoyed the single player experience. The game just kept getting better with every update. Will never forget Venom Hot Lap....then 3 months later they release the same thing...in the rain lol. Its what everyone was talking about.

Here is an old video of mine, everyone talks about weather as in rainy effects but damn...when it was racing at night it was racing AT NIGHT, its dark as shit. And when the blizzard starts it feels like a real blizzard because you literally cant see shit. On top of that you are driving 400 km/h and the other racers are breathing down your neck. This race for example shows perfectly all these things in one place.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Here is an old video of mine, everyone talks about weather as in rainy effects but damn...when it was racing at night it was racing AT NIGHT, its dark as shit. And when the blizzard starts it feels like a real blizzard because you literally cant see shit. On top of that you are driving 400 km/h and the other racers are breathing down your neck. This race for example shows perfectly all these things in one place.

I can't see shit but not because of blizzard but because this video is in 720p.

Portugeezer

Too bad they fucked up the launch, and it seemed Sony didn't know what to do with it and wanted to backtrack on the original PS+ plan once it started to get some decent hype behind it.

This threads just prove my point that Sony needs it's "Forza horizon"

There's an audience for it, i find Forza motorsport and gt boring, open world is perfect for racing games
PS definitely lacks some semi-real arcade racers, I always check on sales and it's always ... The Crew 1/2, maybe Dirt series (not a huge fan).

Sony should remaster this game for PS5 and change the tracks if there is a licensing issue.

If even its meant to be cheap money grab. People will probably bitch, so it’ll probably wont be worth the hassle.

Certinty

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the game (enough to platinum it) and it was good but it’s so overrated in my eyes.

It was far too arcadey for my liking and it always felt like you were confined between barriers far more than other racing games, plus don’t get me started on how awful the AI was.

Dr Bass

This threads just prove my point that Sony needs it's "Forza horizon"

There's an audience for it, i find Forza motorsport and gt boring, open world is perfect for racing games
As they say, to each their own. There seems to be a contingent that just LOVES FH, and for the life of me ... I don't get it. It seems like the dumbest possible racing setup one can imagine. Sort of sim, sort of arcade, sort of open world, sort of racing. Why would I want to DRIVE to my next race? I mean I've played it. You just hold down gas, and go to the next place. It's boring as all get out. Where is the fun? I Just don't think the games are even close to good. Like I said, I know there are people who like it, so that's cool but when I want to race I want to race. I don't want to just drive around barren open world and change the radio. If I wanted that I would move to Texas. I greatly preferred Forza Motorsport, but the rewind feature is appalling IMO and makes it feel like racing for babies. Gotta live with your mistakes!

Anyway, yeah there might be an audience for it but I don't think it's enough to make a difference to the PS brand. Which is surely why they don't bother.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Ahh yes I guess you cant play any Nintendo Switch game then either. Also the video is from 2014, before PS4 Pro, when the SHARE function only output 720p res.

I don't play Switch games on 4k 70 inch TV. I don't play Switch games with YouTube compression that massacres the image quality.

I play Switch games on Switch's screen. Natively in 720p.

It was a 30 fps racing game. It was dated when it was released. It deserved every bad thing that happened to it after that broken launch.

So I'll assume you never knew that every single Need for Speed title is also 30FPS on consoles? Oh and theres other racers as well at 30fps too? Just goes to show you guys barely even game, just repeat the same shit like a parrot.

SkylineRKR

I have DC on my PS5 and its a fun racer still. I did some DLC packs a few months ago. But it can also look very mediocre like India daytime. But, if you flick on some weather effects, on some tracks like Scotland, the game doesn't look worse than Dirt 5 imo. Its only 30fps, but the sense of speed, AI etc is superior. Its a fun game.

Also, like FH5 footage, its not a bad 30fps experience.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
According to the devs, Driveclub ran between 40~45fps when unlocked. 2014 is a long way back in time, where a simple toggle to unlock it would have made a world of a difference today.

Very few looked that far ahead.

Plantoid

As they say, to each their own. There seems to be a contingent that just LOVES FH, and for the life of me ... I don't get it. It seems like the dumbest possible racing setup one can imagine. Sort of sim, sort of arcade, sort of open world, sort of racing. Why would I want to DRIVE to my next race? I mean I've played it. You just hold down gas, and go to the next place. It's boring as all get out. Where is the fun? I Just don't think the games are even close to good. Like I said, I know there are people who like it, so that's cool but when I want to race I want to race. I don't want to just drive around barren open world and change the radio. If I wanted that I would move to Texas. I greatly preferred Forza Motorsport, but the rewind feature is appalling IMO and makes it feel like racing for babies. Gotta live with your mistakes!

Anyway, yeah there might be an audience for it but I don't think it's enough to make a difference to the PS brand. Which is surely why they don't bother.
Fair point, you may be right on this one

Looks better than most current gen games to be honest. Same thing with The Order 1886 (gameplay aside).

I have over 500 hours into DriveClub and completed all of the DLCs with 3 stars each and almost finished with the Bikes campaign.

It's truly a spectacle to behold.

That said, I tried playing it recently and it's kinda hard to get back into. Not because of the frame rate or resolution or anything, but for some reason it feels way harder than I remember. I guess I got used to Dirt 5 being able to basically drift around all the corners and still win.

Dr Bass

Fair point, you may be right on this one
Oh I'm definitely not "right" as there is no right or wrong necessarily. Some people absolutely love the game. I just don't get it. But then again my idea of racing is Mario Kart, F-Zero, Wipeout, etc. I just don't see how copying it would be good for Sony. It would be too obvious. Like people trying to capture what Mario Kart does, and always failing. People who want that game should get an Xbox and play it. Not hope that some less inspired equivalent releases on PS. At least IMO. So yeah, I just don't think Sony cares to make a me-too version of the game when it won't really move the needle for them.

But ... I could definitely be wrong. :messenger_beaming:

Edit: (btw, I know I mixed "I could be wrong" and "there is no right or wrong" on two different issues.)

Last edited:

nikos

What an incredible game. Need to boot it up again one day. Only downside was 30 FPS, but I still had a ton of fun with it.

LostDonkey

Saying Horizon is brute force alone is extremely insulting to such a talented studio.

They had the OG Xbox One to deal with and still produced amazing results at completely locked frame rates.

What they have achieved with an open world game is astounding and no other studio is coming anywhere close to their results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom