• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driving Force Pro - to buy or not to buy?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Really love the arcade racing games, they're my only real experience of video game wheels, especially love the Initial D arcade - so I'm considering getting the DFP for GT4 etc.

I held off getting it earlier because the price is just silly, but I found a cheaper place. However I'm now wondering if any new wheels have been announced and if I'll be futureproofed as far as compatibility with PS3 goes.

Anyone have impressions on the wheel? Is it really worth bothering with? Which games really really benefit from it and do any games play better with the control pad??

Thanks - its cheaper than usual but still expensive enough to make me want to query the wise GAF members before I take the plunge! :D

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Yes, get it. If you're a GT fan, get it, no contest. I can't play GT without it, it's half a game.

I know it sound spretentious and shit, but it's true.

And, I'm pretty sure at the least you'll get GT4 and Vision GT out of it, and you have a 50/50 of GT5 having a new wheel, but even so this'll still be more than fine for it.

Do it.

Bebpo

Banned
Wait it's cheaper than $150 somewhere?

I had one and loved it but had to sell it (for $75) when I moved. If I could find it again for around $100 I'd snap it back up.

kaizoku

Bebpo said:
Wait it's cheaper than $150 somewhere?

I had one and loved it but had to sell it (for $75) when I moved. If I could find it again for around $100 I'd snap it back up.

I'm in the UK and it was super super hard to find here for some reason, like no shops stocked it, most of the ajor retailers seemed to have limited shipments and so on.

Price for it now translates to about $126 new and delivered.

Gek54

YES! Its totally worth it and it has been available for $115 or less shipped from internet stores since its release. It should be future proof and it works extrememly well for PC games as well. Newegg, Amazon, and buy.com have it for under $95.

Bebpo

Banned
Gek54 said:
YES! Its totally worth it and it has been available for $115 or less shipped from internet stores since its release. It should be future proof and it works extrememly well for PC games as well. Newegg, Amazon, and buy.com have it for under $95.

Woah, I hadn't realized it was so cheap. Hmm, so what new PS2 racing games support the wheel (with FF) in the last year? I have GT4 and Enthusia and I've heard the new Sega Rally uses it. But anything else?

Gek54

The last TOCA game had nice TFF and I expect the one coming out to be just as good if not better. NFS:MW had fairly nice TFF on the PC, not sure about the PS2 version, I would imagine it would be just as good. Only released to Japan and PAL countries, Richard Burns Rally has probably THE best TFF support of any game.

railGUN

Banned
It is an incredible piece of equipment. Hell, I pretty much had to stop using mine because it was so addicting that I was getting back problems from sitting in the chair I had it hooked up to...

Only thing to consider is if you have a good table that fits comfortably with your seating arrangements, you HAVE to bolt that sucker down, or risk not having babies if you go the lap attachement way...

Bebpo

Banned
Gek54 said:
The last TOCA game had nice TFF and I expect the one coming out to be just as good if not better. NFS:MW had fairly nice TFF on the PC, not sure about the PS2 version, I would imagine it would be just as good. Only released to Japan and PAL countries, Richard Burns Rally has probably THE best TFF support of any game.

Sounds good. Just ordered the wheel for $94 with free shipping from amazon.com and I'll look into picking up the import of Richard Burns Rally.

What PC racers would you recommend with the wheel? I hardly play any PC racers, but my machine can probably run most of them decently at this point.

Gek54

Bebpo said:
What PC racers would you recommend with the wheel? I hardly play any PC racers, but my machine can probably run most of them decently at this point.

If you have a decent rig Richard Burns Rally would be better and cheaper on PC though there are a few tweaks you do to the wheel settings. All the lates racing sims provide nice support. Live for Speed, GTR, rFactor, GTL, Nascar, Flat out...

kaizoku

It makes me sad when I see non-EU prices :(

$30 cheaper ffs. When you consider the price hike exists on all products, this is a lot of money being ripped off!

Shinobi

I've seen the original PS2 FF Logitech wheel on sale for 20-25 bucks Canadian in a couple computer outlet stores here. Not sure what their compatibility issues are with the newer games though.

Top Bottom