• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS sold out in Japan again

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can't wait to see what the sales for the new model are if it launches in 3 colours.

GAF will need new graphs.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
The coming of the new model doesn't care. The spectacular thing is that the system is selling fast than Nintendo can supply them. I don't remember a case like that.

Manjimaru

tanasten said:
The coming of the new model doesn't care. The spectacular thing is that the system is selling fast than Nintendo can supply them. I don't remember a case like that.

Super Famicom ?

AniHawk

clearacell said:
To think, this is happening over a year after it's launch...is there a precedent for this? :D

Not really. I'd say that in Japan, it has the potential to be the best selling system of all-time, if things stay this way.

And I'm usually pessimistic regarding Nintendo's sales potential.

Zilch

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
I can't believe people are happy about this. What would you think if the game.com was selling out over the GBA?

If the game.com had better games than the GBA (like the DS has better games than the PSP), I'd be pumped.

Oh wait, only technology matters to you.

fresquito

Mihail said:
How hard is it to produce this thing? It seems so cheap.
It´s more than possible that they are focusing in producing the new model vs the old, by now. However, knowing the old model is selling like hotckaes I´m not sure it´s the best thing to do...

AniHawk

Drinky Crow said:
I can't believe people are happy about this. What would you think if the game.com was selling out over the GBA?

Maybe next time, you should choose a handheld with a future.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Drinky Crow said:

I would think you were somehow responsible.

It'll be interesting to see the sales ratio between the DS and Lite. Will the original drop quite a bit, or will the release of the Lite catapult total weekly sales by a significant amount?

No, the DS really doesn't have much of a library -- for gamers. Outside of Advance Wars DS and Castlevania DoS -- two massive rehashes -- and maybe Trauma Center or Kirby for a little dumb novelty, there is ZERO reason to own a DS unless you really simply hate modern games and are either some sort of non-gaming outsider or a nostalgia-addled tool. Unfortunately, thanks to Japan's stupid single-minded exclusivistic focus on churning out subpar anime-based RPGs and action games over the last 15 years, we've created a situation where said non-gamers and nostalgiacs are queuing up for sub-standard hardware and poorly-designed stylus twaddle.

Fortunately, the rest of the world knows that the PSP has the superior library and once they stop balking at the price, we can look forward to a future of REAL INNOVATION, not GIMMICKRY.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Drinky Crow said:
No, the DS really doesn't have much of a library -- for gamers. Outside of Advance Wars DS and Castlevania DoS -- two massive rehashes -- and maybe Trauma Center or Kirby for a little dumb novelty, there is ZERO reason to own a DS unless you really simply hate modern games and are either some sort of non-gaming outsider or a nostalgia-addled tool. Unfortunately, thanks to Japan's stupid single-minded exclusivistic focus on churning out subpar anime-based RPGs and action games over the last 15 years, we've created a situation where said non-gamers and nostalgiacs are queuing up for sub-standard hardware and poorly-designed stylus twaddle.

PSP is home of massive rehashes, and I got one at the Japanese launch.

And you will be playing New Mario Bros. along with everyone else ...

Drinky Crow said:

Fortunately, the rest of the world knows that the PSP has the superior library and once they stop balking at the price, we can look forward to a future of REAL INNOVATION, not GIMMICKRY.

and it ain't the psp, now tha tis what I call good business

fresquito

Drinky Crow said:

Now that you´ve released your hate, realise the truth that DS is sold out in Japan (which is the theme of this thread) hasn´t changed a bit. However, you can still live in your fairytale where PSP is king, but fear not to step outside, breathing some fresh air will ease your otherwise, still brain. Enjoy your time in the real world!

AniHawk

Drinky Crow said:

So bring on Suikoden I & II, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Mega Man Irregular Hunter X1-4, Mega Man Powered Up 1-8, and countless Saturn ports. IT'S THE NINETIES BABY AND WE LOVE IT.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Drinky Crow said:

Fight the good fight.

It's not so much hate as it is a sad acceptance that we live in a world where the Ford Explorer can be the best selling vehicle, Britney Spears can go platinum, Friends can be the most popular show on network TV, and the Nintendo DS isn't consigned to a Virtual Boy-esque fight for its crimes against the greater good of gamerdom and is instead a massive success because people are easily duped by their nostalgia and their inability to make discriminating purchases.

Thankfully, the PSP is selling well regardless. Still, it should be dominating because THE PSP HARDWARE IS A FUCKING GAMING MIRACLE AND SOLD BY THOSE WONDERFUL FOLKS AT SONY AT A LOSS JUST SO YOU CAN EXPERIENCE QUALITY AND INNOVATION, but oh no you see some tired cereal box grade mascots from your childhood shoehorned into shitty kart racers and ZOMG all reason goes out the window.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AniHawk said:
So bring on Suikoden I & II, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Mega Man Irregular Hunter X1-4, Mega Man Powered Up 1-8, and countless Saturn ports. IT'S THE NINETIES BABY AND WE LOVE IT.
A future of REAL INNOVATION!

I played Advance Wars DS and Castlevania DoS, too. Even the 3DO had a few games I wanted to play.

It's cute how much you actually love the DS. I admire your effort to unite the fanbase. It's quite successful.

fresquito

Drinky Crow said:
It's not so much hate as it is a sad acceptance that we live in a world where the Ford Explorer can be the best selling vehicle, Britney Spears can go platinum, Friends can be the most popular show on network TV, and the Nintendo DS isn't consigned to a Virtual Boy-esque fight for its crimes against the greater good of gamerdom and is instead a massive success because people are easily duped by their nostalgia and their inability to make discriminating purchases.
Following your logic you should accept GC is the best console this generation, which I guess you aren´t even considering to do.

Kroole

Drinky Crow said:
Still, it should be dominating because THE PSP HARDWARE IS A FUCKING GAMING MIRACLE AND SOLD BY THOSE WONDERFUL FOLKS AT SONY AT A LOSS JUST SO YOU CAN EXPERIENCE QUALITY AND INNOVATION, but oh no you see some tired cereal box grade mascots from your childhood shoehorned into shitty kart racers and ZOMG all reason goes out the window.

I thought the PSP was one of the reasons Sony made profit this year?

robo_robo

gimmickry nostalgia > sucky dpad and analog stick

I say sony announce a psp revision + a chunck of good games at E3 then we can talk.

nine words said:
Following your logic you should accept GC is the best console this generation, which I guess you aren´t even considering to do.
One last word and I'm off. If you didn't catch on by now, Drinky is actually quite the Nintendo fan. You're kinda like the registered effect he was fishing for, which is charming because you're so sincere. The more Nintendo hate that occurs the stronger is binds them.

Drinky Crow said:

Thankfully, the PSP is selling well regardless. Still, it should be dominating because THE PSP HARDWARE IS A FUCKING GAMING MIRACLE AND SOLD BY THOSE WONDERFUL FOLKS AT SONY AT A LOSS JUST SO YOU CAN EXPERIENCE QUALITY AND INNOVATION, but oh no you see some tired cereal box grade mascots from your childhood shoehorned into shitty kart racers and ZOMG all reason goes out the window.

:lol I love you man!

powerful audiovisual hardware = more game design possibilities. the ds can't do half the genres the psp does with even a quarter of the quality. There's very little that the DS does that the PSP can't do in some alternate fashion save the most stylus intensive games -- of which there are very few and even less that are GOOD.

I think if N-Fans ever wanna know what its like to talk to them, they should go down to the bible belt and ask the people there what they think about God.

Zilch

Banned
Drinky's posts in this thread (and most Nintendo threads) reminds me of bitter Sega fans who threatened to 'leave gaming' or that 'gaming was over' when Sega went third-party.

Reality's a bitch, mang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom