• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge | Review Thread

Banjo64

cumsessed

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Instead of expecting Sony to provide reasonable battery life in their £64.99 and £209.99 controllers I should foot the cost and spend a further £19.99 myself?
No just keep using the base one.

I returned 4 broken xbox elite controllers
I am not touching that shit ever again.

I do love both my madcatz streetfighter TE FIGHTSTICKS tho 🤭

Guys I think you’re all missing that not only has the battery life not improved, it’s literally halved. Half. According to IGN’s two reviews:

10-13 hours for the DualSense
4.5 to 5.5 for DualSense Edge

I thought it would be bad but HALF? Holy shit.
10-13 hours for the Dualsense??
djsPeJV.gif

Yeah the battery life is pretty decent. especially on the newer iteration/version that were introduce a while ago with new colors
Bullshit. I have replaced three dualsense batteries with higher capacity batteries.

Two white ones and the new black one. They have all the same shitty 1560mah battery.

Battery life is crap on these controllers.

If you play games like Astrobot with high rumble battery life is arround 6 hours. pathetic.

Last edited:

Ellery

Bullshit. I have replaced three dualsense batteries with higher capacity batteries.

Two white ones and the new black one. They have all the same shitty 1560mah battery.

Battery life is crap on these controllers.

If you play games like Astrobot with high rumble battery life is arround 6 hours. pathetic.

I have a new model. Good looking black one. They last longer.

My white gamepad that came with the PS5 already broke a year ago or so. Really bad build quality, but battery life always felt pretty good unless I misused it's vibrate functions for improper usages.

I have a new model. Good looking black one. They last longer.

My white gamepad that came with the PS5 already broke a year ago or so. Really bad build quality, but battery life always felt pretty good unless I misused it's vibrate functions for improper usages.
Sure they last longer because the battery is new.

They still use the same shitty battery so how the fuck do they last longer??🤦‍♂️

gothmog

Gold Member
If you're spending that much on a pro level controller wouldn't you want to be physically tethered to your console to minimize latency?

I'm curious about these types of controllers but my kids beat the shit out of the controllers we have. Not sure I want to drop $200+ unless I'm going to be locking it up between sessions which sounds like a chore.

Kvally

Banned
No just keep using the base one.

I returned 4 broken xbox elite controllers
I am not touching that shit ever again.

I do love both my madcatz streetfighter TE FIGHTSTICKS tho 🤭
I had no issue with my Elite 1, which I sold on eBay after the 2 came out. Got Elite 2 day one and no problems. And now I bought a second Elite 2 (the white core) and no issues.

The options and Y buttons are stuck on my DS5. But my Edge will be here this week!

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
"Replaceable stick modules use drift-prone joystick tech"

this can be easily fixed by third party.

"Competitors offer more functionality for the same price"

But can you easily replace the analog drift?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Seems odd that you can't beat the competition when your controller is more expensive and the competition is like 3 to 4 years old now. Maybe more?
the "competition" premium controller still drift, break easily and cant easily replace the analog sticks lol

Aenima

10-13 hours for the Dualsense??
djsPeJV.gif
My DS always lasts between 8 to 12 hours, it used to last between 10 to 14h when was brand new.

Only game that drained the battery in 6h was Astro Playroom as it used all the controller funcions. When the notification of low battery pops up, the controller still lasts 2-3h.

I have the triggers and haptics settings on low, and the controller light also on dim. They are strong enough on low and saves battery.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I am sure it is a good controller and I don't regret ordering it but it should have a better battery life. The Elite 2 lasts a couple of days without charging so why can't this?

Aenima

I am sure it is a good controller and I don't regret ordering it but it should have a better battery life. The Elite 2 lasts a couple of days without charging so why can't this?
Do u really need to ask why a controller without gyro, speakers, mic, touch panel, lightbar and adaptive triggers lasts longer than a controller with all those feautures?

Thats like asking why a Nokia 3310 lasts much longer than a smartphone.

I would wait to test the battery out for myself before jumping to conclusions about the lenght of the battery. Alot of sites test the controller out of the box without doing a full change 1st. This happened when the PS5 came out and alot sites reported the battery of the DS to be 4 to 6 hours, when its actually the double. (testing it while playing Astro Playroom might also have helped to the incorrect average lenght of normal games)

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Grain of salt type of moment but one of the guys who was in my squad this evening in Hell Let Loose claims his Edge arrived today even though his order still shows getting ready to ship.

So I guess keep an eye on your porch

Justin9mm

Complaining about price point is such a weird thing to do when it comes to gaming (for most of us, not all of us) — which is a luxury — where most of us have spent upwards of $500+ on our gadgets. Sure, what the product offers feature wise may not be what you want, but being surprised by price alone is a bit of a weird take.

Ignoring that most of us have huge backlog of games that we haven't played. Something you can only do if you have 'disposable' income.
You're missing the point.

So when PS5 launched, if it was $1500 would you have bought it? Do you own a high-end gaming PC with a 4090 in it? Why not?

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'd rather buy extra 3 DualSense controllers for that price. There's nothing there for me to justify $199 price tag + 3 DualSense controllers combined will last longer.

Last edited:

Lasha

It's the same thing "they" do when "they" talk about PSVR2 also. Yet they have the latest $1200 Nvidia GPU on the PC that "they" are typing their previews and reviews of other pricey products.

Who is "they"? Nobody except the few middle class ppl looking to flex are happy in those threads either. 199+ tax for a controller is as obscene as a 1200+ tax GPU that needs a third party stand in order to prevent it from snapping it's connector. The entire hobby has become an obscene ritual of whaling.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Because the Elite V2 still uses AA rechargeable batteries, which have a significantly higher capacity then the flat batteries you get in s PS controller

So why doesnt sony just use what ever microsoft uses for their £210 controller. Thats a turd.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

I dont think the elite V2 is twice as thick, but whatever...other controller manufacturers have somehow worked out how to have minimum 20hrs of life but this thing is 5 hours. That's straight wack.

You cant just magic more power into a battery the same size as the one in the current dualsense controller, it's the same battery, putting a different battery into the controller with a larger capacity would involve making the controller bigger, if they made the controller bigger everybody would complain it didn't feel like a dualsense does in your hands

The Elite 2 has enough room for it because the controller is a different shape and it has a lot less going on in the inside of it, hence more space for a bigger battery

I can't believe I'm having to explain this

Kvally

Banned
You cant just magic more power into a battery the same size as the one in the current dualsense controller, it's the same battery, putting a different battery into the controller with a larger capacity would involve making the controller bigger, if they made the controller bigger everybody would complain it didn't feel like a dualsense does in your hands

Yes you can. You can replace the existing battery in our DS with a higher capacity that fits in the same spot, and is more than double the play time.

The Elite 2 has enough room for it because the controller is a different shape and it has a lot less going on in the inside of it, hence more space for a bigger battery

Have you opened an Elite 2 and DS5 to see "what's going on". There is room to increase the capacity of the DS5 because the replacement battery with more capacity takes up the same space.

I can't believe I'm having to explain this

Same here.

Mephisto40

Yes you can. You can replace the existing battery in our DS with a higher capacity that fits in the same spot, and is more than double the play time.

Have you opened an Elite 2 and DS5 to see "what's going on". There is room to increase the capacity of the DS5 because the replacement battery with more capacity takes up the same space.

Same here.
I don't think you understand how batteries work

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Because the Elite V2 still uses AA rechargeable batteries, which have a significantly higher capacity then the flat batteries you get in s PS controller
Wrong

Plus the controllers are practically the same size but the Elite 2 weighs a little more and I think thats all where the battery comes in

I would gladly have the weight of the Elite 2 in the Edge to pick up that much more battery life

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 when is this beast shipping ya think?
IF we are hoping to get them on the launch day of the 26th I would think they have to go out today but looking at my order it says arrival between the 26th and 30th

Assaulty

Don't listen to official reviewers when considering a "pro controller". These people think the elite series 2 is the best controller ever. It feels nice (the rubber and weight is nice) but the quality control is hidious, sticks are the worst I've ever felt on any "pro controller" and a good unit lasts about as long as me on a sunday morning.

If you are paying 240 euros for a controller, you either have a lot of money or play a game competetively. If you don't do either, there's way more affordable options here. If you are looking to get a competetive edge, this could potentially be a very nice controller. 2 buttons are pretty baffling for this price tho. The main selling point is potentially the sticks.

I personally play comp Halo and use a Thrustmaster Eswap pro X. It's huge, its clunky, but it has, by far and away, the absolute BEST thumb sticks I've ever used, and they are also interchangable. Even better than the gulikit Hall effect joysticks (but prone to drift). And it's literally 100 euro's cheaper than this controller, with 4 back buttons. For anybody playing shooters on pc, it's highly recommended.

TL:DR: feature set for the price is pretty damned weak, but if the sticks are good, it could be a good option for shooter fans.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The battery for the Elite 2 btw and honestly I can get a couple of days of long gaming sessions out of it before recharging

Hearing my buddy tell me he can barely squeeze out a little over 4 hours of his Edge playing Hell Let Loose seems stupidly low

86zvnrW.jpg

sainraja

You're missing the point.

So when PS5 launched, if it was $1500 would you have bought it? Do you own a high-end gaming PC with a 4090 in it? Why not?
No, I am not missing the point. If you find something that does not meet your needs for the price it is asking, you can simply ignore it, not get it. There is no point in spending money on something that you think isn't worth the asking price. Simply complaining about it isn't going to do a thing in fixing the thing you don't think is worth the price OR if it doesn't have the features you want. Just don't buy it....and the company will get the message.

So, I mean, if you want to complain over and over...you are more then welcome to do it. But I can still say it's pointless. :D

If I didn't want it I would simply not get it. I liked the Elite controller and so I got it, I used it mainly when playing the Xbox until the RB button stopped working properly.

Last edited:
The battery for the Elite 2 btw and honestly I can get a couple of days of long gaming sessions out of it before recharging

Hearing my buddy tell me he can barely squeeze out a little over 4 hours of his Edge playing Hell Let Loose seems stupidly low

86zvnrW.jpg

Did he mention how long the cable is that comes with the Edge? I usually use my SCUF wired for that reason. Battery life is horrible on the SCUF as well.

I agree with the Elite 2 battery being a beast. I never have to charge it during the week. I work Friday-Monday and that’s when I let it charge. When I do game with on the X the Elite 2 last me all week Monday-Thursday without having to charge it or plug it into the console.

Same can be said for my 8bitdo Ultimate and Pro 2. The battery life on them is really good.

For someone like me who plays wired already on PS5 with the SCUF, the battery life issue won’t be a problem for me but for others it it can be deal breaking.

Still looking forward to getting mine just in time for Dead Space and to start my MH rise run.

86zvnrW.jpg
Normally I would change the garbage batteries included in the Dualsense or Edge. But not at this price point.

They should have included 2650/2600mah batteries from the get go. Some people Tell me that they can't do that because of the size and the weight of the other batteries.🤣😂🤦‍♂️

Fact is the replacement batteries I got have the same dimensions as the normal batteries and add maybe 2 gram of weight.

There are no excuses for this garbage battery life.

No, I am not missing the point. If you find something that does not meet your needs for the price it is asking, you can simply ignore it, not get it. There is no point in spending money on something that you think isn't worth the asking price. Simply complaining about it isn't going to do a thing in fixing the thing you don't think is worth the price OR if it doesn't have the features you want. Just don't buy it....and the company will get the message.

So, I mean, if you want to complain over and over...you are more then welcome to do it. But I can still say it's pointless. :D

If I didn't want it I would simply not get it. I liked the Elite controller and so I got it, I used it mainly when playing the Xbox until the RB button stopped working properly.

Not only that but value of something might be lower for one person to the next. Since I got the first Elite, I simply enjoy playing with a controller with back buttons. To me it adds to the experience and after using my hands all weekend in an ER I want to be comfortable when I’m gaming.

To me it’s a huge quality of life improvement for me since i play a lot of souls games and mapping the run/dodge button to one of the back buttons makes them even better to play for me. I can’t imagine going back to a normal controller to play those games.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Did he mention how long the cable is that comes with the Edge? I usually use my SCUF wired for that reason. Battery life is horrible on the SCUF as well.
He says close to 10'

Normally I would change the garbage batteries included in the Dualsense or Edge. But not at this price point.

They should have included 2650/2600mah batteries from the get go. Some people Tell me that they can't do that because of the size and the weight of the other batteries.🤣😂🤦‍♂️

Fact is the replacement batteries I got have the same dimensions as the normal batteries and add maybe 2 gram of weight.

There are no excuses for this garbage battery life.
Even though I am getting this controller I do agree with you this battery is inexcusable

Not only that but value of something might be lower for one person to the next. Since I got the first Elite, I simply enjoy playing with a controller with back buttons. To me it adds to the experience and after using my hands all weekend in an ER I want to be comfortable when I’m gaming.

To me it’s a huge quality of life improvement for me since i play a lot of souls games and mapping the run/dodge button to one of the back buttons makes them even better to play for me. I can’t imagine going back to a normal controller to play those games.
Totally agree I have gotten used to playing games, especially shooters, with those back paddles and I don't want to go back.

For me it has zero to do with being a competitive player or thinking this controller makes me better it is in fact a QOL improvement that I enjoy and gladly will spend this on this controller.

Top Bottom