• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge | Review Thread

sainraja

Those people will tell you that "you don't know anything about batteries" 😂
All joking aside, and I am giving them the benefit of doubt, if it was as simple as putting in a bigger battery and changing nothing else about the controller, surely they would have done it? Price alone can't be the reason they chose to skip adding a big battery since they can simply charge more. Perhaps the size of the battery itself is not the reason but there is one.

Thinking it is simply out of greed is easy but the reasonable side of me says: "...just because I make something does not mean people will be forced to buy it..." so I think there is definitely a reason outside of "greed". The battery life is not something they are trying to hide or are they?

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
All joking aside, and I am giving them the benefit of doubt, if it was as simple as putting in a bigger battery and changing nothing else about the controller, surely they would have done it? Price alone can't be the reason they chose to skip adding a big battery since they can simply charge more. Perhaps the size of the battery itself is not the reason but there is one.

Thinking it is simply out of greed is easy but the reasonable side of me says: "...just because I make something does not mean people will be forced to buy it..." so I think there is definitely a reason outside of "greed". The battery life is not something they are trying to hide or are they?
Well, it works when people pop out the factory one and put in a bigger capacity new one. But I am sure that technically the controller, the motherboard and other innards were not designed for batteries beyond the OEM battery. I am sure my car would yell at me for replacing the battery with one that is double the capacity, when the entire computer system is designed around the OEM battery.

It seems like Sony could design the entire controller and motherboard to support a larger capacity battery. Yes, it would cost more. But I am not Sony so I don't know their thought process.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Wouldn't shock me if Sony just ordered X number of those batteries and just have to use them

sainraja

Wouldn't shock me if Sony just ordered X number of those batteries and just have to use them
Possible but they couldn't have been blind to the fact that the battery they are putting in the Edge will result in less time than the base controller and marketing that would be a big challenge. That definitely could have been a factor along with other things. I just have trouble believing that is the sole reason for it.

Last edited:
Judge Judy GIF by Lifetime Telly

SHIP THE FUCKERS ALREADY

Lasha

Well, it works when people pop out the factory one and put in a bigger capacity new one. But I am sure that technically the controller, the motherboard and other innards were not designed for batteries beyond the OEM battery. I am sure my car would yell at me for replacing the battery with one that is double the capacity, when the entire computer system is designed around the OEM battery.

It seems like Sony could design the entire controller and motherboard to support a larger capacity battery. Yes, it would cost more. But I am not Sony so I don't know their thought process.
Capacity is irrelevant as long as the OEM battery supplies the same voltage as the original.

TrebleShot

I am wondering if the new back buttons mean that a larger battery isnt possible.
If you look into the video I posted earlier on replacing the battery with a larger capacity one there is plenty of space however add a couple of funtional buttons and the space goes.

Miles708

239 bucks for a single controller?

...you know what, at this point I'm with Sony. They're right, let's milk everyone willing to pay so much for a dual shock sense.
Next year let's make a 399€ with black and gold plastic and just slightly less drift-prone sticks.
Fuck it at this point.

MaKTaiL

Deadzone adjustment should be available for ALL controllers and not just the Edge. I've been suffering with stick drift for a long time and this would definitely help.

MikeM

239 bucks for a single controller?

...you know what, at this point I'm with Sony. They're right, let's milk everyone willing to pay so much for a dual shock sense.
Next year let's make a 399€ with black and gold plastic and just slightly less drift-prone sticks.
Fuck it at this point.
Its in line with Xbox’s Elite.

CygnusX187

Neo Member
Everyone saying theirs have shipped but….. have they been picked up by UPS? Shipping notification does not equal “shipped”.

Elios83

Capacity is 1050mah.

What an overpriced controller and a piece of shit battery.
3Pl0qkn.gif

Price is subjective, it depends on how much you value the extra customization benefits.
If you just wanted to give it a try for an extra 50$ compared to the standard controller it's expensive and not for you.
If you're a pro gamer and things like adjustable dead zones, stick profiles and back buttons are considered essential to give you an "edge", then the price is not an issue.
About the battery is seems it was not possible to put a bigger one without changing the form factor of the controller and making it bigger which would have been bad.
In the end reviews stated that it lasts up to 6h which for me is more than enough for a single day.
Not to mention that this controller is aimed at pro gamers who think that things like higher input lag make a huge difference so they're probably going to use it wired anyway.
If it wasn't for the PSVR2 next month which is going to be quite expensive I would have bought this, I still plan to buy it later this year.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If this was a PC peripheral like a keyboard and mouse it would get absolutely panned for that battery life. I don't get console reviewers sometimes.

Top Bottom