• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock 4: LED's effect on battery life test

Tsundere

Banned
It gives indicators of health in Warframe. I don't care but I'm sure other games actually use it as well as it being an indicator for when the battery is low.

I'd also like the option to turn it off.

In flower it emits an ambient light depending on the "mood" of the level, and also changes dynamically; very subtle but nice effect if you're in a dark room.

But like I said, I can get 9-10 hours gameplay sessions with my controller without it ever complaining about low battery.

Thrillers

Banned
This is gaf and we can at least garner a response from @YOSP if we come together and unify to make our voices heard. OP Please add #DS4LEDLIGHTOFF and see what happens. I'm willing to create an account and tweet this because I don't actually have a twitter account. Lets get behind this.

mattp

wouldn't the controller having to process the audio thats being streamed to it wirelessly be WAYYYYY more draining on the battery than a fucking tiny led?
led's use next to no power

LiK

wouldn't the controller having to process the audio thats being streamed to it wirelessly be WAYYYYY more draining on the battery than a fucking tiny led?

The point is, most of us who don't have cameras don't need the light on. Games like Resogun allow you to turn off the audio in the controller so why not the light?

This is gaf and we can at least garner a response from @YOSP if we come together and unify to make our voices heard. OP Please add #DS4LEDLIGHTOFF and see what happens. I'm willing to create an account and tweet this because I don't actually have a twitter account. Lets get behind this.

Everything doesn't have to be a campaign. Just tweet at them once or twice. They pay attention. They also read gaf.

USC-fan

Banned

You guys are wasting your time. No way they will let it be turn off. Just think about all the calls to customer support if they let people turn off the light. No way to see if the controller is even on. It also uses it to show 1 or 2nd player. Its shows that the controller is charging.

What people need to ask for is a way to dim it. That might be something they would do. Asking for them to turn it off is just wasting time.

I leave my controller plugged in when I play, I bought a 9ft extension cable for USB for like $5 from amazon

got me a 15footer for $4 on monoprice :p

On Topic: Great work xNo! I kinda like the light to show which controller is the active one and when its fully charged but I really want to lower the brightness. I'd give up the light tho if it'd help with battery life in a heartbeat

Thrillers

Banned
What in the shit are you talking about? This thread is filled with people complaining about the light and the controller battery life. As are many other threads here and around the internet. Sony isn't getting a free pass on this because they had a good e3 or whatever.

I was talking about the internets not gaf my dude!

Vidpixel

If Sony didn't want people to turn off the light bar completely, it would have been nice to have the option to adjust its brightness at the very least. I personally don't mind the light bar, but I could see why some people might be annoyed by it, especially if it does affect the battery life.

First world problems: the thread.
I don't know if you're joking or you are minimising the issue for some reason. Like it or not this is a pretty big design flaw. Not only is the short battery life inconvenient for the consumer, but the constant charging of the battery (that cannot be replaced mind you) will drastically shorten its life. I don't think anyone wants to have to replace their $60 every year for a feature most don't use. So sure it's not genocide, but there is no need to minimize the issue and make excuses for Sony*.

*Not directly saying you are.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
To disable the rumble will be the first thing I'll do as soon as I turn on my PS4 this Friday. It's a feature I don't care about and it should save some battery.

You know something, I think I might do that as well. I hardly even notice it in games even though I know it's rumbling.

Thrillers

Banned
You guys are wasting your time. No way they will let it be turn off. Just think about all the calls to customer support if they let people turn off the light. No way to see if the controller is even on. It also uses it to show 1 or 2nd player. Its shows that the controller is charging.

What people need to ask for is a way to dim it. That might be something they would do. Asking for them to turn it off is just wasting time.

If gaf got MS to reverse DRM surely Sony flipping a switch is doable!

BigDug13

Maybe the system shouldn't bother doing all that if it doesn't detect a pair of headphones connected to the controller port. Why send game audio to be processed in the controller if no audio devices are connected?

McDougles

There are numerous things that I'd rather have a near-pointless Twitter campaign for ahead of a lightbar on a controller.

This test seems flawed. Of course the light is going to draw much more on an idle controller, however, that draw might not make much difference while in active gameplay where it's power usage might be a small percentage of the overall usage.

That said, I want an option to turn the thing off.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Maybe because I only play 1-2 hour gaming sessions max, I just don't notice the battery issue. I haven't had the low battery warning appear for me once since I've owned my PS4. I tend to check the battery life when I power off or put the system in standby, and if it needs it (so far, I've only been down to one bar), I'll plug it on. Other than that, it's been a non-issue.

Also, I like the LED light, but there should be an option for people to disable it, if it bothers them.

LiquidMetal14

Thread whining: the post.

Let's be fair on both sides. We've already discussed this issue vehemently in what seems like a few decent sized threads.

Would I like to have the option to turn it off? Of course. Does the battery life bother me, not really. Do I want better battery life? Absolutely.

Meanwhile it's not something that stops me from enjoying the games but damn if I would not want some more options with it.

I think I will be turning off rumble in the future though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

between this and the issues with his test, I'm still inclined to agree here. I would honestly guess if it were a significant battery drain Sony would have given us the option to turn it off at launch. I think all this test proved is that "if your controller is doing absolutely nothing else, this is the difference in the battery indicator on screen" and nothing else.

If/when sony does give us the option to turn it off, essentially all posts are just then going to turn into "wtf? I switched my LED off and I didn't get any extra battery life"

This test seems flawed. Of course the light is going to draw much more on an idle controller, however, that draw might not make much difference while in active gameplay where it's power usage might be a small percentage of the overall usage.

That said, I want an option to turn the thing off.

an idle controller that from the looks of it started around a 6% greater charge than the other one..... yeah.....

mattp

Maybe the system shouldn't bother doing all that if it doesn't detect a pair of headphones connected to the controller port. Why send game audio to be processed in the controller if no audio devices are connected?

to be fair, i dont know if thats actually happening without headphones plugged in

WJD

You maverick, you.

On topic:

Sucks that the battery life is taking a hit because of this, I've always been impressed by how long the 360 and PS3 controllers lasted - 8 hours~ is unacceptable for a home console.

and by unacceptable I mean "damn this sucks, but there's no alternative so I kind of have to accept it anyway."

USC-fan

Banned
If gaf got MS to reverse DRM surely Sony flipping a switch is doable!

That is apple and oranges.

If you really care about this then people need to request a way to adjust the brightness. I just do not see anyway they will let people just turn it off without a redesign.

EL CUCO

I just Tweeted him. Hopefully he checks out the thread and can sort it out.

@yosp This is why we need an option to disable the LED light of the DS4. Heres a test done by a fellow GAF'er...
https://twitter.com/elcuco786/status/405389534592266240

flippedb

Banned
BUT SONY ENGINEERS ARE GODS! THEY NEVER MAKE MISTAKES!

I don't understand why they needed LEDs on the controller, but it's even more stupid to put such big LEDs inside. They need to fix this.

Elvick

Banned
does the light serve any purpose if you don't have the camera?
It lets you easily see what player you are for multiplayer. It's easier to remember a color, especially if they match the color of your character in games like Tiny Brains. "I'm the blue one, the blue controller is mine".

It flashes in some games to indicate health, or add ambiance. The developers of Transistor say it'll flash along with the sword while it speaks (which also flashes in game). Which is neat.

I think it's nice, but I understand why people want the option to disable it.

I wish people wouldn't go crying to Sony high ups for every little pathetic problem, eventually they will stop listening when actual real problems occur.

alatif113

between this and the issues with his test, I'm still inclined to agree here. I would honestly guess if it were a significant battery drain Sony would have given us the option to turn it off at launch. I think all this test proved is that "if your controller is doing absolutely nothing else, this is the difference in the battery indicator on screen" and nothing else.

If/when sony does give us the option to turn it off, essentially all posts are just then going to turn into "wtf? I switched my LED off and I didn't get any extra battery life"

an idle controller that from the looks of it started around a 6% greater charge than the other one..... yeah.....

this

Speaking of disabling the lightbar, is there a way to disable rumble at an OS level still? I've had rumble turned off for so long I'm not sure I can go back to having it enabled. Also yes, my controllers last an eternity this way.

Let's be fair on both sides. We've already discussed this issue vehemently in what seems like a few decent sized threads.

Would I like to have the option to turn it off? Of course. Does the battery life bother me, not really. Do I want better battery life? Absolutely.

Meanwhile it's not something that stops me from enjoying the games but damn if I would not want some more options with it.

If that is your feeling, I still don't understand how your first post is anything but thread whinning. Nobody is saying the lights stop them from enjoying playing games and that 'feeling' has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

BUT SONY ENGINEERS ARE GODS! THEY NEVER MAKE MISTAKES!

I don't understand why they needed LEDs on the controller, but it's even more stupid to put such big LEDs inside. They need to fix this.
B/c camera? The camera was originally designed as part of the system like the Kinect is part of the One (if rumors are to be believed). The LEDs were to interact with the camera.

I hope they give us the option to turn it off, switch colors etc. Just give us the control.

I also hope that more developers use it for health as KZ does in SP. I love how it adds some cool ambient lighting to the room in dark setting.

Fonz72

Man, I'm pretty sure I have a dud of a controller. I have the peeling left stick, the sticking L1/R1 and I get about 2-3 hours of gameplay before I'm down to one bar on the battery indicator.

Steel

Banned
yeah, from what I'm reading here the DS4 without the LED on started at 6% more charge. there are other issues as well such as how the battery meter is actually reporting (is it direct correlation to charge or is it charge rated against current usage/draw, etc)

you really can't tell anything from this test. His intentions were good, but you'd really need two people using two DS4's in similar ways while measuring charge (and even better kwH as well) so we can get an idea of the LED drain in a real world scenario with real time differences.

I do applaud his dissection though, especially given the brightness of the LED and the fact that it is then spread by a diffuser presumably so you can actually use it 8-10 feet or so from the camera while being picked up with no problem.

One controller did not start with 6% more charge than the other in this case, that was after 3.5 hours if you read the chronology of the posts. I agree with your second point though, it's hard to say how much more the controller would drain while playing a game, but the controller still draws significant amounts of power while idle maintaining the signal, I would have assumed that this alone would be several times greater than the LED personally.

mollipen

I wish people wouldn't go crying to Sony high ups for every little pathetic problem, eventually they will stop listening when actual real problems occur.

You can't speak for everyone in regards to what "actual real problems" are. For me, this is a huge annoyance, and it is for others.

With my DualShock 3, I'd play for hours in a day, put it away, come back to it later, and play again for hours. I didn't have to continually babysit it and hope it had enough power to last a full gaming session. With my off/on playing of the PS3, I think I recharged my main controller once a month, maybe twice. I realize that part of it is the nature of having a brand new console and using it a lot in the excitement, but I've had to constantly think about plugging my DS4 in and making sure it's recharging.

Maybe that's not a big deal to you. It's a big deal to me. Also, the argument about "buy a long USB cord" are kind of ridiculous. I'm thankful we're now past the era of controllers having cords, and I don't want to have my DS4 continually tethered. I do have a long USB cord, which I use for my DS3, but I'd break it out when the controller was getting low, play using it for a couple of hours, and then put it back away again for weeks.

xn0

This is exactly why I conducted the test. When I'm playing CoD:G alone with the lights down the LED reflects in my TV and breaks immersion for me. The light serves no purpose for CoD:G other than identifying that my DS4 is controller 1 with a bright blue LED. I love the DS4 but the light is mildly annoying and so is the battery life. I just wanted to see if both of my annoyances were connected in any way in order to bolster the case for an option to turn off the LED. Which is possible.. @yosp confirmed that developers have the ability to turn off the DS4 LED, if Sony exposes API controls to the DS4 LED's there is no reason why the PS4 OS cannot give us this option.

LiquidMetal14

If that is your feeling, I still don't understand how your first post is anything but thread whinning. Nobody is saying the lights stop them from enjoying playing games and that 'feeling' has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

It's as on topic as it gets while agreeing with the general consensus on giving us options. I would label other posts are thread whining before looking at me.

Finster

Just disconnecting the ribbon cable as OP did may end up disconnecting some other aspect of the controller besides the LED. I think what this says is that SOMETHING is draining the battery on the DS4, but I'm not sure it's a slam dunk that it's the LED's.

Top Bottom