• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock 4 unboxing

Wehrwolf

So, I had preordered a 'Knack' bundle from Gamestop.

\Gamestop sent an email with tracking info for 1 PS4 controller that was shipped.

And its $89.42. The one-day shipping cost for the whole bundle was $23.49, so even if it cost $23.49 to ship just the one controller, and including tax, it doesn't work out to $89.42 (though close)

....and they'll probably one day ship Knack for $89.41 in a few weeks.

Piggus

So, I had preordered a 'Knack' bundle from Gamestop.

Gamestop sent an email with tracking info for 1 PS4 controller that was shipped.

And its $89.42. The one-day shipping cost for the whole bundle was $23.49, so even if it cost $23.49 to ship just the one controller, and including tax, it doesn't work out to $89.42 (though close)

....and they'll probably one day ship Knack for $89.41 in a few weeks.

The fuuuuck? Do you have Prime?

Edit: Ah, gamestop. Sorry lol. Tired and drunk.

Cragvis

Seriously, who the fuck does that? :p

Exactly, I saw him do that and was like no...NO...no one does that, seriously man come on.

I use the tips of my thumbs for full control, no part of my thumb dangles off the ends of the sticks and coming even remotely close to touching eachother.

why would people use the pads of their thumbs on the middle of the sticks?! urrrrggg

Cragvis

2013-10-24_0246.png

feel

Fuck the police. Holding the sticks with the tips of my thumbs is very awkward for me, I use that top "NO" area, my thumbs touch when using the dual shock 3 but I actually never noticed that it happened before this thread, it's not even close to being an issue.

lucius

Yea, I just tried it in Battlefield 3, and it works. But you have to bind all the controls since they're in some weird configuration by default in the game.

Do you mean about the R1 being the default fire in Battlefield 3 ?

Because there is no option to change that on PS3 version, I tried since have the triggers for DS3 and wanted R2 for fire, or do you mean something else or the PC version

Tsundere

Banned
Do you mean about the R1 being the default fire in Battlefield 3 ?

Because there is no option to change that on PS3 version, I tried since have the triggers for DS3 and wanted R2 for fire, or do you mean something else or the PC version
Oh it was the PC version.

Everything works fine on PS3, save for the touch pad, and the PS button and Sixaxis.

Cragvis

Fuck the police. Holding the sticks with the tips of my thumbs is very awkward for me, I use that top "NO" area, my thumbs touch when using the dual shock 3 but I actually never noticed that it happened before this thread, it's not even close to being an issue.

Do you place the handles of the controller in your palm, or rest them at the base of your last 3 fingers starting with the pinkey. If you put it in your palm, your hands are in a position so that your thumbs are much further inward and thus, your thumb would be too far in for the sticks, forcing you to use the pads or joint of your thumb.

If you put the handles on the base of your last 3 fingers, then you can easily use the tips of your thumbs on the sticks.

Do you play a lot of xb360? I think most people that are accustomed to its controller, end up holding the DS3 with the handles in their palms, and their thumbs getting in the way of each other.

I never have owned or used a 360, so when I got a ps3 (never had a ps1 or 2) my thumbs naturally use the tips of them on the sticks and the handles rest on my last 3 digits.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose that's why so many people fucking suck in online shooters because they use the tips of their thumbs...

In all seriousness, each analog is directly beneath each one of thumbs, not just the tips. It gives me full control, my thumbs don't hang off of the controller, and my thumbs never touch. As a result I can aim very precise in shooters; any other way is impossible for me, especially tips of thumbs...

CDV13

Well said. I have no idea how people use the NO options.

That bottom "no" option is strictly for fighting game inputs on the D-Pad. Easiest way for me. On the sticks there is no other way but the "yes" option. I would have to agree.

I don't think you should tell others how they should hold a controller. We're all born with different hands, arms, bodies, preferences. Some people have disabilities.

If you start talking about how you should or shouldn't hold a controller you start entering a very slippery slope.

If you don't like the controller, it's not because you're holding it wrong, it's because it simply doesn't suit your taste and that's completely fine, even if many find your opinion distasteful.

Personally, if you're wondering, I'm fine with either controller layout. It hardly makes a difference to me.

teiresias

Someone test it with an Xinput wrapper on PC please. I'd love to be able to stop juggling between my wireless 360 controller and a Wii Classic controller via USB (for when I need a good dpad).

Stimpack

I know most people aren't that big on GameStop but go to their for the DS4:
http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/dualshock-4-wireless-controller/109951

Click the "PickUp Instore" button and check the stock around you. Beats running around town looking for one.

Looks like I'll be picking up a DS4 today :p

You should really call instead. It said the only one in-stock in-store around me was 40 minutes away, but calling around I was able to find one only 15 minutes away. As always, never trust anything that any store says online.

Tsundere

Banned
Someone test it with an Xinput wrapper on PC please. I'd love to be able to stop juggling between my wireless 360 controller and a Wii Classic controller via USB (for when I need a good dpad).

second this. i'm still not sold on this thing, some of the changes don't sound too hot.

pc only here, pretty much exclusively use ds3 with motioninjoy and betterds3.

How do I test Xinput?

I did a test using the default Controller Devices test on Windows 8.1:

Windows 8.1 finds the device as a Bluetooth Controller but is unable to pair (I tried once, will try a few more things in a bit).

Windows 8.1 also detects the following buttons (in the Controller Settings in Control Panel):
  • D-pad Up
  • D-pad Left
  • D-pad Down
  • D-pad Right
  • Left Analog
  • Left Analog Click
  • Right Analog
  • Right Analog Click
  • X
  • △
  • □
  • O
  • Left Shoulder
  • Left Trigger
  • Right Shoulder
  • Right Trigger
  • Share Button
  • Options Button
  • Trackpad Click
  • PS Button Click
The only thing not being detected is the trackpad "tracking". The sensitivity of the analogs is VERY high, they are very tight, and the slightest touch causes a registered signal.

plasmasd

It scares me to think how people who use the NO areas on that picture would hold a gaming mouse.

I don't know about other peoples bodies, but I can quickly feel dexterity dropping the further control is taken from my fingertips. I have large hands as well and my thumbs have never bumped together on any of the dual shock controllers. At least I now know how its possible.

Stimpack

This "you're holding your controller WRONG, you inbred freaks!" shit is getting really fucking old.

I use the pads of my thumbs. It feels right to me. Using my tips feels bad. That's my personal preference, this is yours.

Grow up.

To me, it's like when people complained incessantly that gamepads didn't belong on PC because they were inferior. I don't understand why people feel the need to put down the preferences of others.

"It's true, it's true"

DS4 in my hand

Pics incoming.

I almost have it. Almost. I bet no one in my old town will even know that they're for sale.

Just walked in to my local Gamestop this morning and bought one no prob. They received 28 (20 were pre-ordered but they sold me one of the extras).

Gonna try BF3 with it tonight.

Redmond, WA

Top Bottom