• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: The Straight-Up Official Thread!

oracrest

50671orig.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Okay this is the list I have so far of what people have volunteered to help with:

Design doc: thetrin; Jocchan
Writing: thetrin; DrAndonuts; bombshack
Concept art: Jocchan; LiK; Tyrant_Onion; SpacePirate Ridley
Cover art: Jocchan
Promo art: Divvy
Programming: Somnid; TheOneGuy; Funky Pajamas; ScrabbleBanshee; AbortedWalrusFetus; Cheeto; zeouterlimits; Wormdundee; Alts; centracore; -COOLIO-
3D Modeling: Mik2121; Thunder Monkey
Animation: Animation-Imp
Sound design: V_Ben
Music: V_Ben; centracore; John; LiveFromKyoto
Sprite art: TheOneGuy
Voice actor (Dudebro, Chicken): V_Ben
Voice actor (unspecified part): JDSN; Monroeski; ZephyrFate; Scythesurge; Carolina-blue; scitek; Drkirby; Goron2000
Voice actor (Brolling Stan boss): cosmicblizzard
Voice actor (General Pesquali): BobFromPikeCreek
Voice actor (rapper for soundtrack): morningbus; soul creator
Voice actor (narrator?): Ca1amity
Voice actor (a boss): Machado
Localization (Spanish): Machado
Marketing: Danthrax (Twitter); theusedversion (CafePress t-shirts, etc.); cooljeanius (Facebook); nskinnear; DrAndonuts; schuelma
Copy editing: Danthrax; schuelma
IP law: Manos The Hands of Fate; schuelma
Producer: Danthrax
Original title idea: Cuyahoga (<3 you bro)

ahoyhoy said:
This needs to be addressed. I think beard whip should be replaced by bayonet slash/stab or something. Beard Whip can be a special attack or something.

After a couple PMs, thetrin informed me Dudebro's beard holds a machete, so there's our slicing. =P

Irish

V_Ben is definitely our British Chicken, but he has been usurped as DudeBro.

Can you give us some Brolling Stan, Reverend Brahnson, or Pesquali lines, thetrin? I'm going to pick up a cheap mic later on and try to record something (even if I'm not anybody, it should be extremely fun.). My camera just wasn't cutting it.

I'd like the writing/dialogue to be less PC and generally make Dudebro seem more of a dislikeable cunt - A bit like Em Cee Gamer's dialogue but more extreme.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Danthrax said:
Okay this is the list I have so far of what people have volunteered to help with:

Design doc: thetrin; Jocchan
Writing: thetrin; DrAndronuts; bombshack
Concept art: Jocchan; LiK; Tyrant_Onion
Cover art: Jocchan
Promo art: Divvy
Programming: Somnid; TheOneGuy; Funky Pajamas; ScrabbleBanshee; AbortedWalrusFetus; Cheeto; zeouterlimits; Wormdundee; Alts; centracore
3D Modeling: Mik2121; Thunder Monkey
Animation: Animation-Imp
Sound design: V_Ben
Music: V_Ben; centracore; John
Sprite art: TheOneGuy
Voice actor (Dudebro, Chicken): V_Ben
Voice actor (unspecified part): JDSN; Monroeski; ZephyrFate; Scythesurge; Carolina-blue; scitek; Drkirby; Goron2000
Voice actor (Brolling Stan boss): cosmicblizzard
Voice actor (General Pesquali): BobFromPikeCreek
Voice actor (rapper for soundtrack): morningbus; soul creator
Voice actor (narrator?): Ca1amity
Marketing: Danthrax (Twitter); theusedversion (CafePress t-shirts, etc.); cooljeanius (Facebook); nskinnear; DrAndronuts; schuelma
Copy editing: Danthrax; schuelma
IP law: Manos The Hands of Fate; schuelma
Producer: Danthrax
Original title idea: Cuyahoga (<3 you bro)

After a couple PMs, thetrin informed me Dudebro's beard holds a machete, so there's our slicing. =P

you still need to find coders no? and figure out what they're coding in?

edit: nvm

just noticed programmers

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Kccitystar said:
This game needs more character art. Are you guys going to stick to the manly bearded guy as Dudebro? Shit I hope so. He should be a man's man. No emotional ties, no sentiment. Just adrenaline and manliness, with some collar popping and hot babes.

I just finished seeing Commando for reference and I started saying this in a trailer movie voice: :lol

WITH COLLAR POPPING COMES COLLAR BREAKING: DUDEBRO, MY SHIT IS FUCKED UP SO I HAVE TO SHOOT/SLICE YOU, COMING SOON, BRO-THOUSAND TEN.

*cue walking away from explosion in slow-mo*

ITS STRAIGHT UP DAWG TIME.
:lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
LabouredSubterfuge said:
I'd like the writing/dialogue to be less PC and generally make Dudebro seem more of a dislikeable cunt - A bit like Em Cee Gamer's dialogue but more extreme.
no way, dudebro should be a lovable douche

Ca1amity

Neo Member
Irish said:
V_Ben is definitely our British Chicken, but he has been usurped as DudeBro.

Can you give us some Brolling Stan, Reverend Brahnson, or Pesquali lines, thetrin? I'm going to pick up a cheap mic later on and try to record something (even if I'm not anybody, it should be extremely fun.). My camera just wasn't cutting it.

Agreed.

If nothing's written we can just freestyle something or I guess even if we just speak a few mundane lines from a book - since its the voice itself that counts.

Anyway, when I get back home I'm gonna try Pesquali both as "vaguely ethnic" and straight Jersey douche. Am I reading into the character right to say that Pesquali is himself fluent in Bromance Languages - perhaps like Cobra Cmdr. to the rest of the Joe's; a soldier but on the opposite side?

MNC

besiktas1 said:
3D max was failing on my HARD, took longer and worse than expected but it's not rough it's manly.

Carved with his own teeth, the Bro'nade Cluster Fucker - It shoots out tiny cocktail swords and bullets.

2gvrluo.png

2pskqq0.png

hope you like
It's looking good, but modelwise I see some weird extruding things near the edge... And a certain forum (coughmodacitycough) would kill people if they had those in the model :( So I dunno, I'm a really bad modeler, but can you show a wireframe?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
hey guys, was just talking to Ultim8. Here's an early demo of the engine he's working on for use with Dudebro (which of course, is different from the TD shooter we have planned at the moment.)

What do you guys think? Should we change the game to match this engine?

(I love it btw)

http://www.vimeo.com/4487288

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
thetrin said:
hey guys, was just talking to Ultim8. Here's an early demo of the engine he's working on for use with Dudebro (which of course, is different from the TD shooter we have planned at the moment.)

(I love it btw)

gore wise, thats amazing, what did he make it in?

and that gun has serious bass kick

whitehawk

Banned
thetrin said:

(I love it btw)

PERFECT!

So, can I help with sound/music? :D

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
whitehawk said:
PERFECT!

So, can I help with sound/music? :D

i think itd be best if everyone on gaf sampled what they could do and whoever could make decisions from there.

Twig

Banned
thetrin said:

(I love it btw)

I think it looks great! If we do it that way, though, will we still go with the prerendered look?

I mean I like the old top-down shooter idea, too. We could always do both (eventually).

Twig

Banned
It WAS Unity. I'm not sure what Ultim8's engine is coded in. I think Game Maker, assuming GM7 (which I saw mentioned somewhere) means Game Maker 7.

Unity 3D for the top-down shooter was last i heard.
There was interest in a text adventure game using Inform and there's a nifty "D side-scroller engine they're looking at also.

I think I liked the top-down idea better(and hey if thunder monkey joins the modeling crew, plus an animator on board, will make it doable), but if this makes everything easier then sure.

Is it sprites or polygon models? I fail to see -_-

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ultima's engine demo is using GML. (Game Maker 7)

I have to wait until Mik wakes up so we can have a conversation and all be on the same page. For now you guys are just going to have to wait. :)

Right now, we're still looking at Unity, but this engine is ready to go.

Give us some time to iron things out.

thetrin said:

What do you guys think? Should we change the game to match this engine?http://www.vimeo.com/4487288
I like this as well, looks pretty polished & could easily be done. If you guys go in this direction you could even possibly spend more time on the story/script/game design/crazy "Dudebro" aspect as the coding/programming would possible be faster/easier. I kinda like it alot as well, though I was feeling the top-down "Zelda-like" description as well.

Tim-E

Maybe it could be like Contra and have two different level types? You could do a sidescrolling level with exploration and shooting, which would be followed by Act II of the level, which could be the top down idea where you fight waves of enemies for a few minutes, followed by a boss?

Or fuck, two games could eventually be done.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
broony said:
Browidth exceeded on on the OP. Surely a bro can be as wide as he fkin wants.

Kommie bastards.

FFFFFUUUUU--

I'll rehost the images in a little bit and ask thetrin to change them in the OP.

my poor Photobucket won't reset for another 11 days =( :lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
TheOneGuy said:
It WAS Unity. I'm not sure what Ultim8's engine is coded in. I think Game Maker, assuming GM7 (which I saw mentioned somewhere) means Game Maker 7.
i know mik is big on the iphone, and if you guys wanted to go commercial that probably is the best way to go. is gamemaker something you could use on the iphone? can you sell game maker games?

originally i wanted to do something flash-like which was what ultim8s thing looked like.

as for 2d vs. 3d. well if its top down then 2d isnt too much work. if its 3d i guess you could go either way since animation and art is a whole different game.

i think top down is just better game play wise because you could have branching paths and and simpler yet deep gameplay, which would be another must for the iphone.

another scenario, is that two different games could be made?

Tim-E

cooljeanius said:
Ok, Facebook page is up: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dudebro-MSIFUSIHTSSY2/196995673070. Things we still need to do for the page:

• Link it to the Twitter account (Danthrax, become a fan, and then I can make you an admin of it and you can do this)
• Put some money toward some ads
• Post profile badges/boxes around (I'd share the code but it doesn't seem to let me paste it here), see: http://www.facebook.com/facebook-widgets/index.php

Nice. We won't need to worry about putting money into advertising until the game is about to launch, though.

Irish

So, do you guys know of any cheap, but decent mics for me to go out and buy to try my hand with some of these voice sessions? My camera totally doesn't cut it. D:

Also, here's a boss concept (no art):

Low Bro

a somewhat short boxer (broxer) known for hitting beneath the belt.

Piano

Banned
(a) That game engine looks really good. A consensus should be made soon on whether or not to use it.

(b) I'd love to contribute in any way I can...I guess I can voice act. I've also got a solid knowledge of photoshop, so I guess I could try my hand at some pixel art? Is anything else needed?

EDIT: Also, I can write music, but I have to programs on my computer with which to 'compose' it (i.e. make notes into a decent sounding song). What programs do you guys use to make music for something like this? I need to get in touch with software like that anyways, so I might splurge.

MMaRsu

Banned
Fuck yesssss finally a real thread for this brorific game :D.

I wish I could contribute but I don't really have any skills :p.

Ca1amity

Neo Member
Danthrax said:
FFFFFUUUUU--

I'll rehost the images in a little bit and ask thetrin to change them in the OP.

my poor Photobucket won't reset for another 11 days =( :lol

I tried to hook a bro up with a link to this brahsome thread. Needless to say, I do not look like a bro to my bro at the broment.
Bro, I am disappoint.

jk obviously

spats

Haha this thread exploded! :lol

I'd be happy to help out with this! I can provide art assets, whether it's bitmap, vector or 3d. (there's a link to my blog in my profile if you wanna view images)

Top Bottom