• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever (2001) has leaked

More Info:

• Almost every chapter is present in some form. A huge chunk is playable, a huge chunk is block-outs with no enemies. All of the E3 content is there.
  • Not just the editor, we will be releasing the full source code too.
  • All weapons are functional with the exception of the chainsaw and the freezer.
  • Do you have any date on when you are gonna leak it then? June.
  • The editor works. We also have the engine and UnrealScript source code and have written instructions for compiling it.
  • Two builds, but only the content for one.
  • It is Unreal Engine 1, like the final game.
  • There is no complete game. It was never finished.
  • The E3 2001 iteration but not the E3 2001 build.
  • The shrink ray is in the game, it’s the first weapon in slot 4.
  • The theme is just the Megadeth version. It starts playing as soon as you boot the game.
  • Bombshell is not visually present in the game at this point, there is a log file showing that her model was deleted.
  • The strippers can be seen and interacted with when you first enter the club. By the point in the game that was recorded, most of them are dead.

Last edited:

Duchess

Also looks like they forgot to add lights to the game. Can't see shit.
If I'm remembering right, this is something that happened when they switched engines partway through development. It was then that a whole bunch of issues started.

But, if the source code is now out, I imagine it won't take long for the fans to fix things.

ParaSeoul

duke-nukem-urinal.gif

DukeNukem00

Banned
Don't know why the hell 3D Realms would scrap this iteration. George Broussard is an enigma to me.

Also Jon St. John actually recorded lines for this version? I don't recognize those lines in the first video.

They didn't scrap that itteration, the problem was Broussard kept chasing other games constantly. We know from former employees how he was managing the production. A game would come out that had something new in it, he would want to put it in Duke. So it was a neverending development cycle, because every time a game came out that had something he liked, he wanted it in the game. You're never shiping a game out with that type of development

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd be curious if the 2001 version could be released, but I have little doubt that version is anywhere remotely close to done as there was a story in Wired about it many years back when DNF was cancelled and before Gearbox resurrected it.

Until I see otherwise, I won't believe that the 2001 version can be released without major work unless I see it myself.

Like I said in my thread...
Personally I don't like at all that they're teasing and making promises.
If they are really so hard at work to polish the code they have to release in June than SHUT UP AND WORK IN THE DARK!
By exposing themselves like this they give opportunity and time for the lawyers to track and fuck with them.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Amazing, can't believe this has actually leaked and in a playable state! Very cool, can't wait for some fans to properly finish it.

Also yeah, fuck off Randy.

Gearbox is also sitting on a full on Duke 3D "Reloaded"(aka remake) that used Unreal Engine 3 or 4. Gearbox gave the people behind the fan game a blessing to make the game but Gearbox later became shit heads and
said while they may have given their blessing to make it, it didn't mean the team could *release* it. This was pretty much at the same time Duke Nukem Forever was going to be released from Gearbox and didn't want the fan
game overshadowing the DNF game when they had just spent $20 million for the Duke I.P.

Word has it Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded is amazing. Hopefully that gets leaked. Gearbox is letting the IP rot. They'd be better off selling the rights back to 3drealms at this point.

00_Zer0

Gearbox is also sitting on a full on Duke 3D "Reloaded"(aka remake) that used Unreal Engine 3 or 4. Gearbox gave the people behind the fan game a blessing to make the game but Gearbox later became shit heads and
said while they may have given their blessing to make it, it didn't mean the team could *release* it. This was pretty much at the same time Duke Nukem Forever was going to be released from Gearbox and didn't want the fan
game overshadowing the DNF game when they had just spent $20 million for the Duke I.P.

Word has it Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded is amazing. Hopefully that gets leaked. Gearbox is letting the IP rot. They'd be better off selling the rights back to 3drealms at this point.
3D Realms and Gear Box are owned by the same company now. So no need to sell Duke back 3D Realms, because ultimately Embracer Group owns the Duke property now, and if Embracer wanted, they could choose any developer to keep the Duke series going.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Is that the game developed by Interceptor? Heard about it elsewhere, I think a Civvie video, and man, shit sucks.

Can't believe that such a shitty company owns the rights to one of the coolest and most iconic video game characters. Well, iconic back then I guess, because just as you said today poor Duke is rotting and dying because Randy is a greasy fuck.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

painful past ?!
They worked on this 2001 build for years.
There is no reason not to put all of it out. all builds... it's not making anyone money and certainly will not make any money just on some old harddrive.
Even if it's just the trailer areas playable in real time, that is enough but we know there is a bit more.
Let it all out and let people fix it up to a playable state... it's been over 20 years. He was a fool for moving to another engine time and time again so at least he should live up to his mistakes and let all of the team be happy and see their efforts COME OUT

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Hope somebody gets this out, but it won't be an official release. This franchise is dead.

There is no way you could release a new Duke Nukem game in this day and age. Not without changing everything about who Duke Nukem is anyway.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Fascinating.

Never was a fan of Duke but this is pretty damn cool. Curious what it will be like once the community gets their hands on it and makes it a finished product.

bose

Neo Member
Hope somebody gets this out, but it won't be an official release. This franchise is dead.

There is no way you could release a new Duke Nukem game in this day and age. Not without changing everything about who Duke Nukem is anyway.
Unfortunately the truth. It's a real shame as the industry is really lacking this sort of humour and creativity. We live in such dull times.

I would so be down to play a leak like that. I was very excited for Forever when it was announced having played the hell out of Duke Nukem' on my Grandparents PC as a kid.

Man am hyped, honestly love the story around duke nukem forever taken forever to release, imo 3d realms got super lucky with this duke at the time that when forever was coming out they were just behind the fps game, always wanted to try this build out hopefully people to some exciting shit with this

ACESHIGH

Banned
So in the same year I am going to get a System Shock remake and True Duke Nukem Forever? Please don't wake me up.

Damn, just look at that lineup of FPS for fucks sake... Give this old dinosaur a new Rise of the Triad on ID Tech 7.

Last edited:
They didn't scrap that itteration, the problem was Broussard kept chasing other games constantly. We know from former employees how he was managing the production. A game would come out that had something new in it, he would want to put it in Duke. So it was a neverending development cycle, because every time a game came out that had something he liked, he wanted it in the game. You're never shiping a game out with that type of development
Hmmm this sounds really familiar... Quick, someone check what the bedsheets are like in this build.

samwizered

Really cool to see this out there. Honestly can't imagine why they canned it - what a shame.

I'll be interested to see what the UE1 community can do to fix it up.

FireFly

Considering what their competition was around that time...
Serious_Sam_-_The_First_Encounter.jpg
Red_Faction.jpg
Aliens_vs._Predator_2_Box_Cover.jpg
Halo_-_Combat_Evolved_%28XBox_version_-_box_art%29.jpg
Return_to_Castle_Wolfenstein_Coverart.jpg
Medal%20of%20Honor:%20Allied%20Assault.jpg

They were probably afraid of it not being up to snuff and too "90s".
All of those games are classic 90's apart from Halo. And DNF was arguably more ambitious than all of them, also apart from Halo. The desire to copy Halo probably explains why you can only carry two weapons in the released game.

But I think no game ever really gave us what was envisioned in the 2001 trailer. That kind of varied FPS gameplay in expansive contiguous levels died with the Half-Life series and maybe lives on a little in the latest Wolfenstein games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom