• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune | Official Main Trailer

SJRB

Gold Member
Zimmer's soundtrack is out as well.

It's pretty good!

E_Z8DuHWUAMZLqz.jpg:large

Stuart360

There is a pirate copy of this doing the rounds, and anyway i watched it and was not impressed.
I'm not going to make a proper judgement on the film until i see it properly in the cinema, how its supposed to be seen, but yeah i was not impressed.

Stuart360

You weren’t impressed by a cam version? Good to know.
Well are the scenes going to be different at the cinema?. The pictire and sound were actually decent.

I just hope it makes enough so that they can make the second half because imo it was a bit of a fuck up not film both halves at the same time.

sol_bad

There is a pirate copy of this doing the rounds, and anyway i watched it and was not impressed.
I'm not going to make a proper judgement on the film until i see it properly in the cinema, how its supposed to be seen, but yeah i was not impressed.

Why the fuck would you do that?
o_O

Stuart360

Why the fuck would you do that?
o_O
Well i'm going to see it anyway, and i'm not someone who cares about spoilers and all that. I was actually looking for an old British comedy show and saw Dune on the site.
Like i said, i'm not going to pass judgement on it until i see it at the cinema. The actual film didnt impress mne though and i dont see how having a better picture and sound quality will change that much.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just back from the cinema. What a masterpiece. Villeneuve delivers yet again, as expected. Love his style and the mood his pictures portrait. It‘s a bliss to watch.

Hard to believe that apparently part 2 is not safe yet given that it says part 1 in the beginning and also how it ends. There is no way they are not making part 2.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just back from the cinema. What a masterpiece. Villeneuve delivers yet again, as expected. Love his style and the mood his pictures portrait. It‘s a bliss to watch.

Hard to believe that apparently part 2 is not safe yet given that it says part 1 in the beginning and also how it ends. There is no way they are not making part 2.
So it's better than the shitty cam version some people are basing their opinions on?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
So it's better than the shitty cam version some people are basing their opinions on?
I went with two friends and we all thought the movie was amazing. I do not know however how this movie will sit with todays impatient Marvel audience. Villeneuve and his teams take their time to introduce the viewer to the world and it may generally be slow for some. As someone who is sick of those fast movies with nonstop action I simply loved the pace. If you’re like me, you‘re gonna love it too. Cinematography and art are amazing. IMO it‘s worth a watch for that alone.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I went with two friends and we all thought the movie was amazing. I do not know however how this movie will sit with todays impatient Marvel audience. Villeneuve and his teams take their time to introduce the viewer to the world and it may generally be slow for some. As someone who is sick of those fast movies with nonstop action I simply loved the pace. If you’re like me, you‘re gonna love it too. Cinematography and art are amazing. IMO it‘s worth a watch for that alone.

I've seen the first 10 minutes on IMAX, that was enough to sell me on it.

I'm so excited for this. I love that people are saying it's a slow burn that focuses on world building. I loved Blade Runner 2049 because I felt a part of the world and I hope Dune is like that. The negative reviews have hyped me even more because the reasons people don't like it are exactly why I believe I will love it.

Synless

I'm so excited for this. I love that people are saying it's a slow burn that focuses on world building. I loved Blade Runner 2049 because I felt a part of the world and I hope Dune is like that. The negative reviews have hyped me even more because the reasons people don't like it are exactly why I believe I will love it.
Are people saying its a like Fellowship of the Rings kind of slow burn or what? I need a comparison.

GymWolf

Well i'm going to see it anyway, and i'm not someone who cares about spoilers and all that. I was actually looking for an old British comedy show and saw Dune on the site.
Like i said, i'm not going to pass judgement on it until i see it at the cinema. The actual film didnt impress mne though and i dont see how having a better picture and sound quality will change that much.
Was the british comedy "how not to live your life" for any chance?!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Mate, u gonna love this shit to death.

btw… another thing I loved about the movie is how dark, gritty and dirty they made everything. I bloody hate this polished and cleaned up look from Marvel or the new Star Wars movies. In Dune everything (from costumes to buildings) everything looks and feels gritty. I loooooooove this.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Have now seen obvious and fatuous comparisons being made to Game Of Thrones.

If it is like that, we can look forward in the latter stages of part two to watching Paul killing all the Fremen with ballistic gom jabbars, before getting stabbed in the back by Alia, for being a right cunt.

sol_bad

Film seems to have hit 52 million at the international box office, might hit 75 million by Sunday. Seems to be going OK. Still lots of other territories it needs to open up at.
I don't understand why WB did a staggered release internationally.
Not released in Australia until December, so good chance I can see it at theatres.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Also yes you can’t confuse this as an only film in the theater. It says at the start of the film “Dune: Part One”.

Last edited:
Seen it twice in IMAX now, what an amazing experience. Never read the books, but was able to follow the story quite well and can't wait to delve further into the franchise.

Glad to see the movie is doing well box office wise, so very likely we'll get part 2.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Who the fuck watches a pirate cam of an epic like Dune!? i dont get that, i streamed about 10secs of the rip youre talking about and laughed at how fucking awful it looked and sounded... nah its cinema release for me then ill download the 4K rip

Ballthyrm

Just saw it in IMAX, well that was Epic in every sense of the term.

The casting is really good and Villeneuve let them take their time on screen, it is really a slow burn with heightened tension.
The OST play a good part in making the planet and the villains feel oppressive and great performances from all actors around.

They did the opposite of the hobbit movie, it covers about half of the first book, which is not that long to begin with.
There is quite a bit of exposition but it is dulled out over the course of the 2.5 hours so it's ok.

It you liked Blade Runner 2049 , you'll probably love this one too.
The best part is how they really built a world that feel lived in, and they are using all kind of techniques to sell you on it.
The production design is fantastic and it's at the level of Avatar in visual world building, with the advantage here of actually having a plot.

Now please, go see it, all of you. It has to work so I can go see the next one.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Going tomorrow. Not opening this thread or reading anything until I see it.

Edit: thought this movie was out today. I am disappoint.

Last edited:

Camaway2

Best movie I have watched this year, despite me truly hating movies split in two halves. It felt fresh, innovative, stunning. Sci-fi for grown ups, with a marvellous musical score. Watch it in the largest screen you can find where you live, ideally IMAX. It's one of those movies that needs to be seen on the big screen.

Last edited:

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Got to see it last night at a preview event in Dublin. It is breathtakingly immersive, and it's Denis Villeneuve's sci-fi magnum opus, an immaculately paced masterpiece, teleporting your soul to Frank Herbert's land of sand and spice, otherworldly visuals, sound & Hans Zimmer score, technically flawless. Also, this is the loudest film I have ever heard in a cinema.

Artoris

Gold Member
I want to watch it in cinema, but I would like to ask does the political correctness make it unwatchable

I don't think this movie will be politically correct per se. As a fan of the book, they did make a couple of annoying changes (they changed jihad for crusade and for some reason they changed the gender and color of Liet-Kynes from a man to a black woman). As a book purist, it is annoying but not enough for me to bitch or not go see the movie. I'm still super excited.

Ulysses 31

I don't think this movie will be politically correct per se. As a fan of the book, they did make a couple of annoying changes (they changed jihad for crusade and for some reason they changed the gender and color of Liet-Kynes from a man to a black woman). As a book purist, it is annoying but not enough for me to bitch or not go see the movie. I'm still super excited.
What did you think of the heartplugs, Barron face decease, cat milking, weirding modules etc in Lynch's version? :lollipop_grinning: :messenger_winking_tongue:

Top Bottom