• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons & Dragons Dark Alliance Reviews ... not looking good?

Irobot82

Bah I knew it. Game looked like trash from the get go. This wasn't a Dark Alliance game at all. Go ask some old snowblind guys how it's done.

Reactions: Isa

Antwix

That's a shame. Haven't looked at too much of this game, but it reminded me a bit of Gauntlet Legends from back in the day.

bender

What time is it?
Those old Diablo clones were shallow as hell, but the graphics for the time were phenomenal for that kind f game.

If those oldies had more content, randomized maps and way better monster/loot drops, it would be right up there with Diablo 2. They had the production values, but the meat and potatoes were bad. Diablo 2 was the reverse. Sprite based janky gameplay, but the best mouse clicking looter at the time.

The first game was really shallow but by the time they got to the Champions of Norrath games, they had improved on the formula a ton.

Isa

I really, sincerely miss Snowblind. It greatly bothers me that they just nabbed the name for brand recognition when it has next to nothing in common with the originals. It just seems to be a low budget effort where most of the money went to the CG trailers. I will try it since its on gamepass, I know my best friend and his brothers will love it bugs and all, as they really only play mp stuff and prefer co-op. I don't like putting down devs for the most part, save for obvious greedy nickel and diming, so I wish them the best and perhaps a quick fix for the issues.

One of my main complaints though as someone who loves pouring over old D&D books, systems and art. Why can't they ever try anything other than the nasty ass 5th edition art style? I love the OSR scene, and there are a TON of potential worlds and styles they could have opted for that could have saved them a lot of cash on licensing. I wish developers and publishers were more willing to do some research before settling on known quantities.

During the PS4/One gen I was constantly wishing for a new Champions of Norrath game, even simple ports would suffice. Hell I remember playing Knack thinking the lighting from the crystals would look great in another hack'n'slasher. Diablo 3 was ok, I don't really like Path of Exile that much, and just want some simple couch co-op fun with my girl. For that though we have to replay the originals. I guess it just stuns me how much of a dearth in the market there is. The Ascent looks ace though, so there's that.

Dane

Sounded janky from its first trailer on TGA i think, not even sure why it was picked up for Day One gamepass.

Lanrutcon

Reading this thread one could think this game is a complete disaster. It has a 70 on Opencritic and some reviewers genuinely liked it. I'ma try it tomorrow.

Did you watch the video in the OP? Looks like a 70 if we're scoring out of 200. I especially like the part where the enemy AI isn't enabled.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I have better ways to spend my time than trying to find the good parts in some 70 Opencritic “maybe not a total disaster” disappointing game. Don’t care whether it’s on Game Pass or not.

Kimahri

Banned
It was a D&D game without an ounce of character creation, which is the core of the D&D experience. I was expecting mediocrity, so these reviews come as no surprise. At least Gamepass will give me the option to play 15 minutes of it without buyer's remorse.

Lol, you sound exactly like the people who hated the first Dark Alliance back in the day. For me the main reason for playing dnd was never character creation. That was secondary. I played for the fun of going on an adventure with friends.

Hardly any video game adaptations of dnd let me do that, but this one will. So in a sense this game is more dnd for me than a game like Baldur's gate 3 ever will. I remain optimistic. Some reviewersseem to really like it.

shoplifter

One of my main complaints though as someone who loves pouring over old D&D books, systems and art. Why can't they ever try anything other than the nasty ass 5th edition art style? I love the OSR scene, and there are a TON of potential worlds and styles they could have opted for that could have saved them a lot of cash on licensing. I wish developers and publishers were more willing to do some research before settling on known quantities.

Probably Hasbro directive, plus they're trying to sell 5e books. For all intents and purposes, FR is modern D&D and that art style goes with it now. I'm with you though, give me some Erol Otus or Jeff Dee.

Last edited:
Finally got to watch the video. Gameplay reminds me of Enclave.

wmHhswM.png

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance reviewed on Xbox and PC by Travis Northup. Also available on PlayStation.

I badly wanted Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance to be an awesome co-op version of the pencil-and-paper tabletop RPGs I've loved for decades, but it just isn't. It's a bland, boring trek through repetitive encounters that's filled with bugs and annoying design choices, and though it allows you to play alone you absolutely should not do that because it's an imbalanced nightmare. I can praise its faithful look and feel, which captures much of what makes Forgotten Realms a great setting, but there's very little else to recommend about this unpolished mess of a hack-and-slash RPG.

I have better ways to spend my time than trying to find the good parts in some 70 Opencritic “maybe not a total disaster” disappointing game. Don’t care whether it’s on Game Pass or not.
Idk, that's the beauty of Gamepass to me. I can try games without spending additional money, and more often than not I end up liking the games. It really doesn't help with the length of my backlog though.

lol, the psn preorder page has a full five stars with 46 ratings.
I'm assuming the single player balance issues will be patched, I'll try it out then. I grew up with these characters and I have a morbid curiosity to see how badly they've been butchered.
I had fun with Demon Stone back in the day, I'm hoping it'll have the same vibe.

Looks awful from that video. 59 metacritic with 12 reviews thus far.

I guess have fun, all you enlightened free thinking “reviews are meaningless” people. I’m out.
I could gave told them game was going to be garbage a long time ago. I have to believe major publishers in the industry would have a better pulse on the situation than myself and others

Zadom

I'm assuming the single player balance issues will be patched, I'll try it out then. I grew up with these characters and I have a morbid curiosity to see how badly they've been butchered.
I had fun with Demon Stone back in the day, I'm hoping it'll have the same vibe.
I enjoyed the books so I want to try it. Maybe the bad reviews will knock the price down fast and I will try it.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Because it gets bad games?

No. Bad games aren't worth anyone's time.

I'm playing Like A Dragon on GamePass. Great game. THAT'S what GamePass needs to keep bringing. Not garbage like this.
What? So you;d rather get jipped into paying full price for it? They dont do demos anymore, this is as close as we get. I didnt say "yay a shit game"....i said yay i dont have to pay full price just incase...i may still end up liking it, wont know until I play it..hence gamepass

Inspector Q

What the heck did they do to our boy, Wulfgar, though? lol

Dude looks like some generic bearded oaf wielding a giant 2-handed hammer. That is not Wulfgar. No idea what the hell they were thinking with that design. Why can't Drizzt and company get a decent game?

What? So you;d rather get jipped into paying full price for it? They dont do demos anymore, this is as close as we get. I didnt say "yay a shit game"....i said yay i dont have to pay full price just incase...i may still end up liking it, wont know until I play it..hence gamepass
No. I wouldn't be dumb enough to buy a game that is obviously not good. I don't need to subscribe and pay to rent bad games to save myself money.

I want the rental service to let me play GOOD games. Games I would have bought anyway - games such as Yakuza Like A Dragon, which I'm enjoying on GP now. Give me more of that. Bad games are bad games whether they are full price, discounted or free. I don’t need them.

But if you need to subscribe to a rental service because you can't spot a bad game without it, I guess it works out for you.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I ain't paying for this shit. Glad its on gamepass. Wait i am paying for gamepass, gosh dammit.

Fine. Enjoy my 5cents developers.

PSYGN

I laughed at the part where the arrows shot above the head of the enemies and having to be on a level field with the enemies for attacks to land. That's some elementary shit.

That said, some of the most fun I've had was with co-op games with rough edges like this.

What the heck did they do to our boy, Wulfgar, though? lol

Dude looks like some generic bearded oaf wielding a giant 2-handed hammer. That is not Wulfgar. No idea what the hell they were thinking with that design. Why can't Drizzt and company get a decent game?

Drizzt and company make appearances in the og Baldur's Gate rpgs. In BG2 you can enlist their aid to raid a den of vampires, it's fuckin awesome.
It's possible to kill Drizzt in the first game and take his gear. If you import it into BG2, Drizzt will mention it and then attack you.
I love them games so damn much.

Top Bottom