• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante's Dark Souls II verdict - PC Gamer

Thank you for the write up Durante, cant wait to see your new articles about injectors and extra options, if you can please keep it Video Card vendor agnostic :p

I want to play the game as good as possible as soon as its released!

The shadows in the PC version look very good. From console screenshots, I've noticed that they are more of a green hue if that makes any sense.

Durante, does the mirror knight fight have the specular highlights? Or has he been left the same as the console version?

Please answer this....

takoyaki

dip, dip, dip.....

Is my faucet dripping???? No, it sound like

dip, dip, dip.....

Oh yeah, I know where that sound comes from

Its coming from all the GAF members double-dipping on DarkSouls2! (including me, thanks Durante!)

Great article, Durante.

These screens are looking really good.

Anyone know a non DSfix method for 8k res captures? The lack of a DSfix 2 might make this the one unintentional sore spot of having such an excellent port.

LiK

Well, I haven't gotten too far in the game yet.

Fun story: I did somethign I made fun of when people did the equivalent in DS1 - I went to
Heides Tower of Flame
first, and fought the
Dragonrider
with base level/equipment.

I thought people saying the game was easy were insane :p

Hah, it's pretty easy in the first few areas. Prepare to be stomped by the later bosses. :)

wickfut

Banned
I believe the god-rays in DS1 were situational and hand-crafted, not dynamic and applied at all times like in DS2.

You'll see the difference when you look at the light shafts cast from grass blowing in the wind ;)

So is this a DX9 game which can have SweetFX or ENB used on it?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Yeah, it's a bummer. Then again, more downsampling without performance difference :p

screenshot2337794qlfp.jpg

SFSCl2B.gif

Durante

By the way, if I don't answer a question in here, it's probably because it's part of a later article, not because I don't want to :p

Except for the mirror knight question. I haven't fought him yet. Where should I go (spoiler free)?
(I'm avoiding any out-of-game sources of information for the first playthrough)

Here's another good one:
screenshot343728n9z04.jpg

Edit:
Yep, Xinput wrapper.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Grabbin your attention

Hey, did you put any effort into trying to get the game to run above 60fps? In the article you mention it goes up to that, but did you attempt anything to go beyond that? INI changes, forcing V-Sync off, making it happen some other way?

By the way, if I don't answer a question in here, it's probably because it's part of a later article, not because I don't want to :p

Except for the mirror knight question. I haven't fought him yet. Where should I go (spoiler free)?

He's WAY later in the game.

Here's another good one:

Hype dramatically rising after all the tech demo threads.

Man I hope someone tells you how to fight the mirror knight, if he looks "correctly" maybe it means that they fixed some weird bugs.

Also, can you tell us if the game uses VAC or anything else for cheat prevention?

LiK

Here's another good one:

Edit:
Yep, Xinput wrapper.

Don't worry about Mirror Knight. Simply explore and you'll find your way around.

G.Newell

Does it look good in motion because these screenshots do not look pretty. Luckily people say the gameplay is still fantastic so it wont stop me getting the game

Azar

It's all mine.

Basically, what happened is that I was asked to write a ~1200 word article, and on Sunday I delivered a ~2500 word draft. But they thought it was all good and didn't want to cut it (thanks Wes!), so it turned into 2 separate articles.

And then I went back to each of those and extended them so they are now on the verge of being oversized again :p
Thanks for working with us. And I'm glad I was able to take some 4K screens of my own before you started showing me up with your screenshots!

Durante

When can you turn your Steam profile back to online? At release?
This is on a separate profile.

The story: I got the pre-release key, tried to activate it, couldn't because I already had the game (normal version of course), made a Steam ticket, nothing happened for ~48 hours, so I closed it and made a new account.

Orayn

Didn't play pc dks1 but...durante's on gaf?! damn, the double dipping sauce is tempting. those screens, jesus.

Durante is primarily on GAF when he's not busy with academia as Dr. Thoman, PhD. This is where the whole saga of the port of the first Dark Souls unfolded, from the initial disbelief at the 720p resolution, to him declaring that he could and would change it, to the first public versions of DSFix.

This is on a separate profile.

The story: I got the pre-release key, tried to activate it, couldn't because I already had the game (normal version of course), made a Steam ticket, nothing happened for ~48 hours, so I closed it and made a new account.

Now that you have a digital doppelganger created for a secret mission, I fully expect to hear about Solidus Durante and nanomachines when the next Souls game comes out.

Durante I really appreciate the write up, especially the comparison of the individual settings and such. It did raise a question/request for me. Generally speaking I know vaguely what the individual graphics settings do, and I obviously know that turning them up is going to increase the system requirements. The problem I have is that I don't really know which settings are generally going to take up the most system requirements, and/or give me the best increase in image quality when I tweak the settings on my PC. Do you know of any guide or set of guidelines to use when tweaking things like that? Anyway, it could make for an interesting article if someone went into the nitty gritty details of stuff like that.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Great article. It will be interesting to see what mods take precedence now that we know the game is in great shape right from day one. I really hope we see some alternate AO solutions. VSSAO2 in DSFix was great. I'm assuming better textures will be modded as needed--such as the infamous shot on page 1 of this thread. Earthen Peak could use help, for sure. What has me the most amped is the potential of a solid 60fps on my rig. It will be like an entirely different game.

Nibel

Here's another good one:

Edit:
Yep, Xinput wrapper.

Are there no particles or was the shot taken at an unpropitious moment? I want some particle action

Good Job From, don't let lighting detractors and exaggerators get to you. If every game didn't play or look exactly like it's first unveiling and people swore off companies, this industry would be dead.

Durante

Durante is primarily on GAF
Hey, at least I don't have 18 posts/day!
Nah, it's true :p

Are there no particles or was the shot taken at an unpropitious moment? I want some particle action
There are particles (and stuff flying around in the atmosphere which looks neat), but for bonfires I think they are mostly just when you initially light them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just finished the article. It sounds like a well done, high quality, well performing PC game.

So stoked. I got my pre-order in, and I'm excited to dig in.

This was a great article, and I am VERY much looking forward to the tweaking guide you've got coming up.

Any ETA on when that will be up?

Looks good. I've been waiting patiently for the PC release, not spoiling myself in any way except for the odd screenshot I've come across and this article cements why that choice was the right one for me.

Azar

Just finished the article. It sounds like a well done, high quality, well performing PC game.

So stoked. I got my pre-order in, and I'm excited to dig in.

This was a great article, and I am VERY much looking forward to the tweaking guide you've got coming up.

Any ETA on when that will be up?
We'll put it up next week. Not sure on the day. We plan to put it up before the release, although the advice won't do you much good until you can actually play the game!

Do we know if it supports SLi?
I ran it on our LPC on three Nvidia Titans, but I didn't do any testing to see what it was utilizing. It ran flawlessly, though.

Thanks for the article Durante, very informative and straight to the point.

So looking at these screenshots, it looks like the PC version doesn't have the washed out default gamma setting like on most footage and screenshots from the console versions? Or did you change some of the brightness settings to get a darker look?

Sorry, I didn't have an opportunity to test that.

Someone earlier in the thread asked for the worst screenshot (why would you do that :p), well this is the worst one I took:
screenshot59737n7bof.jpg

=(

That area looked sooooooo good in the demos, too. Now it just looks... terrible :(

Good article though. If anyone is responsible for me getting this game at release, it would be you. I'm not sold though. Still very bitter...

Top Bottom