• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante's Dark Souls II verdict - PC Gamer

Durante

Ew. That motion blur. I'm not sure if Dark 1 had it, but that stop-motion for it just looks nasty. Maybe it looks better in motion. :/
The object motion blur in the game looks great IMHO, particularly at 60 FPS.

Couple of Qs (very nitpicky):
1. Skippable intro logos are mentioned. These are skippable on consoles. Does this mean you can turn them off completely on PC?

2. The article also says you can turn off the UI, which again you can do (permanently off or "hide when inactive") on consoles.

3. Cloth physics are also in the console version. Are they enhanced in some way on PC?
These are all things I mention in comparison to the original DS, not the console version. I just found it interesting that both skipping the intro logos and turning off the UI were minor, but in my opinion very convenient and popular, DSfix features, and both were included in DS2 out of the box. I like to think I had something to do with that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
or Dark Souls III

But probably Steel Battalion II

The object motion blur in the game looks great IMHO, particularly at 60 FPS.

These are all things I mention in comparison to the original DS, not the console version. I just found it interesting that both skipping the intro logos and turning off the UI were minor, but in my opinion very convenient and popular, DSfix features, and both were included in DS2 out of the box. I like to think I had something to do with that.

Of course the man who labels himself mod god would think that.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Surely we'll see this jump with Demon's Souls 2.
or Dark Souls III

I'm sure we will :)

Ah, I see! That makes sense.
Sorry, didn't know those were implemented in DSfix. (With my 4-year-old Dell laptop I'm not a PC gamer by any stretch of the imagination.) But I do hope you're right, that they learned not only from the original DS port, but also from the activity of modders such as yourself.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Am I crazy for thinking that Dark Souls 2 on PC actually looks like a step up from the first, graphics wise? Some rotten areas with 2D trees and Ocarina of Time mountains in the BG, but the good looking areas really look good.

Calibus

Am I crazy for thinking that Dark Souls 2 on PC actually looks like a step up from the first, graphics wise? Some rotten areas with 2D trees and Ocarina of Time mountains in the BG, but the good looking areas really look good.

No I'm right there with you. Majula and surrounding areas destroy most locations in DS1. Just personal taste of course.

Kieli

Dark Souls II has a slightly different art-style compared to Dark Souls I. There are parts that certainly look more beautiful, but there are also parts that look worse (and this isn't even getting into the conversation regarding textures and whatnot).

To state that DSII is objectively better looking is debatable, though. Considering neither games are technical powerhouses and rely heavily on art direction to carry the visuals forward.

Starviper

FYI guys -- can grab a pre-order for DS2 from greenmangaming.com and use this 20% off code to score it for 40$.

O3H7FE-D4NFO0-F0LIGK

Sullichin

Shawn6661

Does DS2 feature a windowed mode ? For some reason, fullscreen mode in DS1 (with DSFix) had some slowdowns. The trick i had to do was to use bordeless windowed mode with DSFix.

Then is a tricky question, will DS2 runs on an old GPU like an ATI 4850 512Mb ? The rest of the PC is fine (4570 8go ssd) and i had no real problem except the one i mention to run DS1.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does this mean the game can't be made to run faster without breaking things or just that the game is locked to 60fps out of the box?

Locked 60 out of the box I believe, and since it's not out, likely no one has tried pushing it further.

FYI guys -- can grab a pre-order for DS2 from greenmangaming.com and use this 20% off code to score it for 40$.

O3H7FE-D4NFO0-F0LIGK

First time ordering from GMG, you get the activation key on the day it releases, I guess? I got my order confirmation and activation instructions email but it doesn't have a key.

Coonce

First time ordering from GMG, you get the activation key on the day it releases, I guess? I got my order confirmation and activation instructions email but it doesn't have a key.

Sometimes it's the day before, or a few days before, never had a late key from GMG.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So we can play all Friday after work into the twilight, like a child with no homework or inminent resposabilities.

...unless you work on a Saturday, then you're fucked.

Or if you have a paper due friday so you'll be tired but then you also have an exam on the upcoming monday and a huge computer program to write also due.

College sux

Own it for PS3 but really thinking about jumping back in on PC. Might just wait to get it for around 20 dollars like I did with Dark Souls 1 on Steam.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Whens part 2 of the article go up?

Transparent.gif

Rainy Dog

Will I be alright playing this without having played the first one? Was originally planning to pick the PC version of the first game up but when the port turned out a bit rubbish with added GFWL to rub it in even more, I decided to give it a miss.

I'm sure I've read that it's not a story sequel?

Will I be alright playing this without having played the first one? Was originally planning to pick the PC version of the first game up but when the port turned out a bit rubbish with added GFWL to rub it in even more, I decided to give it a miss.

WHAT? Surely you know about Durante's DSfix patch, right? Takes the game from a lousy port to a beautiful beast and the best version of the game! Pick it up next time it's on sale.. Goes on sale every few weeks it seems.

If you're not looking for it, you may not even find any plot in these games, so I wouldn't worry much about that.

Krakn3Dfx

You'll be fine. I would actually encourage people who haven't played either on the PC to play DS2 first, since From is supposed to remove GFWL from DS1, and if the Arkham games were any indication, it could basically kill any save game files. There are ways to maybe get them back, but it doesn't seem to be 100% reliable.

Parsnip

since From is supposed to remove GFWL from DS1

That's not confirmed though, so I wouldn't recommend anyone holding their breath in anticipation. There hasn't been any movement in the Steamdb regarding this in nearly two months.

But we can hope. Maybe after they have successfully launched DkS2, they'll do it.

Rainy Dog

WHAT? Surely you know about Durante's DSfix patch, right? Takes the game from a lousy port to a beautiful beast and the best version of the game! Pick it up next time it's on sale.. Goes on sale every few weeks it seems.

If you're not looking for it, you may not even find any plot in these games, so I wouldn't worry much about that.

Oh, of course I heard about Durante's patch. But I thought it was just a resolution fix?

Rainy Dog

You'll be fine. I would actually encourage people who haven't played either on the PC to play DS2 first, since From is supposed to remove GFWL from DS1, and if the Arkham games were any indication, it could basically kill any save game files. There are ways to maybe get them back, but it doesn't seem to be 100% reliable.

Yeah, I lost a save file in Batman Arkham Asylum because of GFWL so I've just avoided it since.

FaintDeftone

I may actually double dip so I can experiment with other character classes outside of the PS3 version (I still need to finish the PS3 version though...). Looks very nice.

Haunted

Oh, of course I heard about Durante's patch. But I thought it was just a resolution fix?
Does much more.

Fixes resolution, ups framerate to 60, introduces better AA, DoF, SSAO, customisable HUD etc etc. Add some of the improved texture packs and font fixes to that and Dark Souls 1 turned out to be quite a good PC game thanks to the efforts of the modding community.

I've never used Sweetfx before. Would I be right in assuming I replace the default SweetFX_settings with the supplied Durante version?

.. And then I just toss all these files into the Dark Souls 2 directory, aye?

edit:

Also, concerning this image

inspector-610x539.png

For 6, if I want the HBAO+, I turn it to Enabled and select Quality in the previous field right? Or do I have to select a compatibility flag in a specific field?

PFD

What's the verdict on the lighting downgrade controversy? Does the PC version share the same lighting quality with consoles?

Top Bottom