• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante's Dark Souls II verdict - PC Gamer

RaikuHebi

Banned
With all in-game settings maximized and rendering at 2560x1440
imagez1pgp.jpg

Yh I'm just gonna be hoping for a PS4 version over here.

So does this actually run better than DS1 for similar settings?

My computer is not amazing, but it can run e.g. crysis 2 at 720p, 30fps on high settings.

For DS1 I was a bit sad that I couldnt actually run the DSfix mod and go above the default res without going well below 30fps.

Is DS2 actually better optimized?

So does this actually run better than DS1 for similar settings?

My computer is not amazing, but it can run e.g. crysis 2 at 720p, 30fps on high settings.

For DS1 I was a bit sad that I couldnt actually run the DSfix mod and go above the default res without going well below 30fps.

Is DS2 actually better optimized?

I believe so. I have a HD 7950 (slighty worst than GTX 770 in greenspeak), I would still get drops in some areas, particularly ceaseless discharge and the centipede, and some other areas were nothing taxing was even going on. He mentions in the performance section his gpu only had 60% load.

I'm curious if you have a rig with an AMD card laying around to try this on, just to see if there aren't any major problems with Team Red.

edit: More info, I run DaS at 1920x1080, my card is at stock settings and so is my CPU which is an i5-4670k. I get dropped frames in dark souls. Durante ran it at a higher resolution with a lesser cpu and still didn't drop frames.

Are the controller mappings customizable this time? Having sprint on a face button has always been really unfortunate, since it makes you unable to use the camera. I used a profile to switch B and RB for the first game, but that made menus awkward. I hope I don't have to do that again.

zashga

Sorry if this has already been asked, but can you rebind controller buttons in DS2 PC? I really wish I could've done that in DS1.

z1ggy

Durante isn´t only a God mod fixer, but also a good writter. Really liked the article. I was hyped, now i´m hyped beyond limits.

I honestly don't know exactly. It's merely an extrapolation from the CPU/GPU usage numbers on my system at 1440p.

I see, thank you.
I have a pretty low end system, it runs high end games, but on crap settings. It flat out refused to run Dark Souls, so I was wondering if I would have better luck with DS2.
Thanks for all your work :)

Excellent! I've been desperately looking forward to playing the game. Avoiding DS2 as much as possible over the last month and a half has been a pain in the ass.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ew. That motion blur. I'm not sure if Dark 1 had it, but that stop-motion for it just looks nasty. Maybe it looks better in motion. :/

Orayn

Ew. That motion blur. I'm not sure if Dark 1 had it, but that stop-motion for it just looks nasty. Maybe it looks better in motion. :/

It looks extremely good. Dark Souls 1 had an okay-ish implementation, but this is leaps and bounds ahead of it.

seph1roth

Durante, first of all,congratulations for the article.

Second, you play with a 770 on a 2K resolution, i have that GPU...but on a 4K resolution downsampled the game continues with 60fps?

I doubt it a lot but if it's possible that would be awesome XD

Well, at least now i know i can play this game on a 2K resolution with 60fps...if i knew how to downsample T_T

Durante, first of all,congratulations for the article.

Second, you play with a 770 on a 2K resolution, i have that GPU...but on a 4K resolution downsampled the game continues with 60fps?

I doubt it a lot but if it's possible that would be awesome XD

Well, at least now i know i can play this game on a 2K resolution with 60fps...if i knew how to downsample T_T

You can learn more about it here, a 770 should be enough for the less performance intensive games.

seph1roth

You can learn more about it here, a 770 should be enough for the less performance intensive games.

Thank you very much!

But i have some questions...if i read it correctly, i have to do all that work every time i want to play the game?

I mean, when i make the downsample to 2K for example on the Nvidia cp, can i change then to a higher resolution in-game? that was previously blocked to 1080p obviously.

And when i do that, if i change the resolution from 2K to 1080p on Nvidia cp, the game continues with the 2K resolution?

UnrealEck

Thank you very much!

But i have some questions...if i read it correctly, i have to do all that work every time i want to play the game?

I mean, when i make the downsample to 2K for example on the Nvidia cp, can i change then to a higher resolution in-game? that was previously blocked to 1080p obviously.

And when i do that, if i change the resolution from 2K to 1080p on Nvidia cp, the game continues with the 2K resolution?

When you make a custom resolution in nVidia's CP, it basically reports that resolution to any game you load up. So if you make a resolution for 4K, then fire up Crysis, you'll be able to set the resolution in Crysis to 4K regardless of what resolution you use for your desktop (out of games, in Windows). Your game's resolution will stay whatever you've set it as long as you don't delete the custom resolution from nVidia's CP.

Thank you very much!

When you have a resolution in the cp that's higher than your desktop, then any games that support higher than 1080p resolutions will automatically show it. You can select any resolution in game then the game will "shorten" that image down to 1080p for your screen. Your screen will look much larger in the desktop but in game it helps a lot with Anti Aliasing and texture quality. (It can be tough to play games like RTSs while downsampling but FPS, controller based games, etc work fine )

It's the resolution in game that matters, make sure though that you don't go too high with your resolution like 4k or something, because most monitors have problems showing such a massive image.

UrbanRats

I'm glad this is a competent PC port.

The downgrade + the problems i had with the Beta still mean i'm waiting for a deal or price drop on this, but it's good to see it runs so smoothly.

Even though the game is never going to look like From originally presented it, this still looks very good and it appears From has at least proven they can build a competent PC port. Good for them and it bodes well for the next Souls game when the last-gen machines can be left behind. Too bad we have a long wait for that, but in the mean-time I am going to enjoy the hell out of DS2.

Grief.exe

I believe he has a similar card in his rig at home as he bought Jeff's old card when Jeff upgraded along with his new 1440p monitor.

lol

I can't believe they would consider a 670 a mid-range card, but then again I'm constantly surprised by journalism ignorance with the platform.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is great! Fantastic work Durante, and good on PC Gamer for the coverage (I take it they went to him?)

Couple of Qs (very nitpicky):
1. Skippable intro logos are mentioned. These are skippable on consoles. Does this mean you can turn them off completely on PC?

2. The article also says you can turn off the UI, which again you can do (permanently off or "hide when inactive") on consoles.

3. Cloth physics are also in the console version. Are they enhanced in some way on PC?

I'm just glad that PC gamers can breath a sigh of relief and finally enjoy this great game.
From has some work to do in order to meet make the real generation jump, and Bandai Namco has some work to do on their marketing technique, but hopefully this won't distort peoples' perceptions any further.

Top Bottom