• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante's Dark Souls PC Performance Article Now Available on PC Gamer

Navy Bean

After playing this through on Xbox I'm tempted to finally take the plunge and buy a gaming PC. Not for this game only but it would definitely be the first I played. Game is great but I'd love to play it with a stable frame rate.

Thanks for the work Durante.

Article said:
Finally, there is a sporadic issue which can occur on monitors with a refresh rate greater than 60 Hz. When this happens, the game will seemingly use wrong timings for its frame limiter, resulting in a lowered framerate independent of actual performance. I wasn’t able to reliably reproduce this issue, so I don’t know exactly which conditions lead to it, but it should be possible to work around it by limiting your refresh rate to 60 Hz before launching Dark Souls 3.

Super great...

Hopefully borderless windowed via external tools works as well as it did for DS1 and DS2.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
So on a i5 2500k OCed to 4.6ghz and two 980 gtx cards, what sort of framerate drop should I expect at 1080p with all settings maxed?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
After playing this through on Xbox I'm tempted to finally take the plunge and buy a gaming PC. Not for this game only but it would definitely be the first I played. Game is great but I'd love to play it with a stable frame rate.

One of us, one of us! Honestly, do it. A gaming PC and console of your choice for exclusives is the way to go this generation. Don't be a muppet though, do some research and don't buy a prebuilt system, building your own PC is really easy, it's basically expensive Lego, nothing fits where it's not supposed to! You'll save a lot of money and get a better system in the process. Once you experience games at 60fps without a single frame rate dip you'll wonder how you ever gamed at 30fps with dips, it's night and day.

stuminus3

Wait... minimum requirement is a 7950 on the AMD side? How does that make any sense?

Anyway... amazing work, Durante. You're a good man.

golem

Haven't read the article yet since I'm at work, but does it support 21:9? Or does it need a fix like the others? Thanks for the write up can't wait to dive in.

I would also like to know this. Hopefully we won't have to wait for a fix to have it working properly

Zackat

Will a gtx 770 get me through? I would rather play at 60 fps than on my console at 30. Seems to be able to run most games well enough.

Navy Bean

One of us, one of us! Honestly, do it. A gaming PC and console of your choice for exclusives is the way to go this generation. Don't be a muppet though, do some research and don't buy a prebuilt system, building your own PC is really easy, it's basically expensive Lego, nothing fits where it's not supposed to! You'll save a lot of money and get a better system in the process. Once you experience games at 60fps without a single frame rate dip you'll wonder how you ever gamed at 30fps with dips, it's night and day.
Thanks for the pep talk! Can you give it to my wife lol? I will definitely build one, I think. Watching to videos it seems a reasonably trained monkey could do it so I'm sure I'll mess it up but I like to tinker and get exactly what I want.

Thanks for the pep talk! Can you give it to my wife lol? I will definitely build one, I think. Watching to videos it seems a reasonably trained monkey could do it so I'm sure I'll mess it up but I like to tinker and get exactly what I want.

As someone who just built their first PC this year thanks to the "Ineed a new PC thread" just let her know that it is cheaper than consoles in the long run. My wife has been pretty impressed so far at the cost of games and stuff compared to what I used to spend on consoles last year and I was blown away as well.

Will a gtx 770 get me through? I would rather play at 60 fps than on my console at 30. Seems to be able to run most games well enough.

54 FPS average at 1080P.

ds3_1920.jpg

Navy Bean

As someone who just built their first PC this year thanks to the "Ineed a new PC thread" just let her know that it is cheaper than consoles in the long run. My wife has been pretty impressed so far at the cost of games and stuff compared to what I used to spend on consoles last year and I was blown away as well.
I was gonna use the tried and true method of lying and saying I needed it for work... I've already convinced her that gaming is, on balance, one of the cheapest hobbies around. I have a self-imposed budget of $1500 so it seems I can build a decent rig. I was about 90% convinced already and DS3 pretty much pushed me over the edge. Should be fun and I'll find the PC threads to ask Q's when I start to build.

Edit: Sry for the derail, I read the article and some of it was over my console head but awesome job of presenting everything In a clear, interesting manner.

Unai

When you think about, It's bizarre that a port from a japanese publisher and developer was done with a greater care than the one published by the OS owner and a by a developer that was born on PC.

Jedi2016

When you think about, It's bizarre that a port from a japanese publisher and developer was done with a greater care than the one published by the OS owner and a by developer that was born on PC.
I would call it a sign of how much each of them cares about their product and their fans. That is the right word, now that I think about it.. one of them has customers, the other has fans.

Azar

When you look at those charts, keep in mind that Dark Souls 3 has no built in benchmark tool and performance can vary considerably between areas. Everyone asking "can this config run it at 60:" for most of you with decent CPUs and graphics cards, most of the game will run really well, but expect to see dips at the areas that are huge hits to the CPU. I don't believe the chart showing 60 fps averages takes into account the area we / Durante tested that hit CPU performance hard.

But that's an outlier, not indicative of most of the game.

RevenWolf

So on a i5 2500k OCed to 4.6ghz and two 980 gtx cards, what sort of framerate drop should I expect at 1080p with all settings maxed?

There is one area that apparently is a big cpu bottleneck, so it really depends on that area alone from my understanding.

For 1080p your rig is going to definitely be locked at 60 at all times barring the cpu issue, especially considering this game seems to have really good sli scaling.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
There is one area that apparently is a big cpu bottleneck, so it really depends on that area alone from my understanding.

For 1080p your rig is going to definitely be locked at 60 at all times barring the cpu issue, especially considering this game seems to have really good sli scaling.

Yeah, I just wonder what kind of drop we're talking about? 5 fps? 20fps? Shame it won't be stable.

Best part of this thread is Durante saying he was going to bed for two pages yet still being one of the most helpful people around. Da real MVP.

RevenWolf

Yeah, I just wonder what kind of drop we're talking about? 5 fps? 20fps? Shame it won't be stable.

I've heard of reports as low as sub 30 at times. But I don't know their cpus, but honestly having one area like that compared to the rest of the game seems like a small sacrifice for 60 everywhere else.

TitusTroy

I don't understand something he said in the article...is weapon degradation tied to frame rate or not?...he seems to say yes in the early paragraphs but at the end says no...I'm confused

Bl@de

Now I'm confident that my Xeon and GTX770 will be good enough. Will turn down 1-2 settings for 60fps and I'm good to go. When is preload?

takriel

I wonder if an i7 4790 and GTX 980 Ti can run the game at 60 fps at 3440x1440 res? Not including the areas with performance issues of course.

Navy Bean

I don't understand something he said in the article...is weapon degradation tied to frame rate or not?...he seems to say yes in the early paragraphs but at the end says no...I'm confused
Almost certain he said no... Based on many unwarranted attacks on innocent walls.

Gitaroo

was hoping the 970 can downsample from 1440 to 1080 and keep running at a solid 60fps in order to decrease the aliasing, but too bad.

Top Bottom