• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante's Dark Souls PC Performance Article Now Available on PC Gamer

mario_O

I wonder what's so CPU intensive about this game. There's not a lot going on on screen: small areas, few enemies at a time...

I have always found that 1620p and 4K are the best down sample resolutions because they work on "even" multiples at least of the base 1080p.

I really should spend the time to look into the smoothness setting offered by DSR... I imagine each resolution multiple it can do requires a specific smoothness setting to look its crispest but without any visible pixel squashing or weirdness.
I'll try 1620p then :) thanks! And if you ever do look into it, please share :p

Arkanius

I wonder what's so CPU intensive about this game. There's not a lot going on on screen: small areas, few enemies at a time...

From Software Magic (despair)

Blighttown was the magical place where you could see it happen.

Jokingly aside, I bet it's draw calls.

Adry9

I guess I'll be around the 45fps mark on Ultra. Think I may just lock it at 30 and forget about changing settings and maintaining 60 in poorly optimized areas.

UrbanRats

Shadows not dark enough? Yeah, I am noting that a bit as well. It seems like a lot of mixed lighting too, baked and real time shadows for some things.

It's amusing to me because the default game looks like someone's applied a really shit SweetFX filter to it.

Yeah it essentially looks like Bloodborne, but with black levels brought up even more.
In darker areas it's not as annoying, but in daylight scenes it's jarring.
BloodborneScreen.jpg

rqzCHeb.png

Quick google of a (relatively) bright scene in Bloodborne (and d00d3n screen as a quick comparison), you can see how the contrast is a bit stronger.

When i look at daylight scenes of DkS3, it looks like someone fucked with my screen settings.

I don't have the game, so maybe it's just the one area though.

Durante

Well, most of the game is not all that CPU intensive.

What exactly is going on in the particular areas that are is almost impossible to say without an internal look at the engine.

ogbg

Yeah it essentially looks like Bloodborne, but with black levels brought up even more.
In darker areas it's not as annoying, but in daylight scenes it's jarring.

Quick google of a (relatively) bright scene in Bloodborne (and d00d3n screen as a quick comparison), you can see how the contrast is a bit stronger.

When i look at daylight scenes of DkS3, it looks like someone fucked with my screen settings.

I don't have the game, so maybe it's just the one area though.

Something's not right with that BB screenshot. The blacks were never crushed when I played it

d00d3n

Well, most of the game is not all that CPU intensive.

What exactly is going on in the particular areas that are is almost impossible to say without an internal look at the engine.

I am curious, what areas performed especially badly in the PC version?

nkarafo

I'm a bit confused about the CPU performance.You got 4 core CPUs with HT (8 threads) and 2 core CPUs, again with HT (4 threads). But what about i5 CPUs? (4 cores - 4 threads)?

Edit: I'm going to lock the game @ 50 fps (on my 50hz compatible TV). I assume i won't have any problems with bugs and timing issues? I mean the game performs well on anything between 30 and 60 fps?

Gbraga

Argh of course I had to forget something.

I'll check that when I get back from work, but I very much assume that it's 16:9 only.

It's not CPU bound on a decent gaming PC most of the time. But a few areas are just strange.

So pretty much like Dark Souls 1. Blighttown will fuck your framerate (if you're not already playing at 30) no matter what.

I can deal with that. Especially if performance is consistently bad in those areas. It would suck if when I'm in said area it keeps going from 30 to 60 all the time, but if it's just "it runs at ~30 for the entire area", I can easily deal with it.

Durante

I'm a bit confused about the CPU performance.You got 4 core CPUs with HT (8 threads) and 2 core CPUs, again with HT (4 threads). But what about i5 CPUs? (4 cores - 4 threads)?
Should be very close to 4 cores 8 threads.

Edit: I'm going to lock the game @ 50 fps (on my 50hz compatible TV). I assume i won't have any problems with bugs and timing issues? I mean the game performs well on anything between 30 and 60 fps?
I actually didn't test specifically at 50.

But my game runs at roughly 50 at the settings I actually play at (1440p on a 970) most of the time, and I didn't notice any issues.

Gbraga

About black crush, I always found From's in-game brightness setting is worthless. People who follow it end up with black crush, because even at the lowest setting you can still see the thing you're not supposed to see, but everything gets way too dark. At default settings, dark areas get dark, and outside areas are well lit.

When you're in a dark area at the lowest brightness settings, it feels right because you actually need to use your torch or the hand lantern in Bloodborne, but I find it unlikely that the intended look for the game was for it to be so dark at every moment that you're always losing detail.

Grief.exe

Durante's screenshot looks really nice, what DSR settings would you guys recommend for downsampling to 1080p from 1440p? Because unless I'm downsampling from 4K I feel like it looks worse than native. :p

I have always found that 1620p and 4K are the best down sample resolutions because they work on "even" multiples at least of the base 1080p.

I really should spend the time to look into the smoothness setting offered by DSR... I imagine each resolution multiple it can do requires a specific smoothness setting to look its crispest but without any visible pixel squashing or weirdness.

This is why I downsample the old school way instead of through DSR. Nvidia made it infinitely better then it used to be too as there is no longer a need to play with timings.

bathsalts

Thank you for all the work that went into these tests and the article itself, nice to know all is well with this game and gsync should eat up the odd areas. The ridiculous wait continues.

nkarafo

Should be very close to 4 cores 8 threads.

I actually didn't test specifically at 50.

But my game runs at roughly 50 at the settings I actually play at (1440p on a 970) most of the time, and I didn't notice any issues.
Hey, thanks for the response.

50fps gaming at 50hz has saved me a lot of grief as my card (960) can't handle 60fps/1080p in many modern games, with high/ultra settings. 50hz/fps means i can have a similar experience to 60fps gaming (not much difference) while my rig works less for it. Those 10fps can save a reasonable GPU grunt.

After the terrible experience being a European gamer during 4th/5th gen, i never thought 50hz would ever be that useful to me, lol.

Melchior

Thanks for the article Durante. Helps keep my expectations realistic. I'm hoping to get 60fps on atleast medium. Running i7 2600 and 960 4gb

Great article, I'm very happy to see that the AA and SSAO is good in this one compared to Dark Souls 2. Sounds like 1440p on a 970 with G-sync will be a great experience.

Grief.exe

50fps gaming at 50hz has saved me a lot of grief as my card (960) can't handle 60fps/1080p in many modern games, with high/ultra settings. 50hz/fps means i can have a similar experience to 60fps gaming (not much difference) while my rig works less for it. Those 10fps can save a reasonable GPU grunt.

After the terrible experience being a European gamer during 4th/5th gen, i never thought 50hz would ever be that useful to me, lol.

Gsync save my 970 at 1440p, can get about 50 FPS maxing out all these next-gen games st that resolution.

ogbg

Totally! It's really a great option to have. For me it meant I could play GTA5 at 4k rather than 1440p (or at least I thought it did. Then I encountered the grass and had to rethink, lol)

Arkeband

Banned
I'm wondering if my aged (yet badass) i7-970 will perform well since Durante's charts showed a (small) increase with a hexacore.

Stay with me old friend! You're six years old but I believe in you! You're still stupidly expensive!

DMTripper

Note that
  1. This is a friggin' 3500 word article.
  2. I tried to cover everything I ever overlooked in any previous port report, or which anyone else might overlook if just quickly benchmarking the game.
    - Various gameplay tests at multiple framerates? There.
    - Different audio channel and frequency configurations? Tested.
    - Steam controller and streaming compatibility? It's in there!
    - Every single setting? You bet.
    - CPU benchmarks at multiple areas throughout the game? Yep, and was it ever important!
  3. PC gamer just had a design change, and right now you can't zoom in on the images. This sucks, but it will hopefully get sorted out.
And all of that while avoiding any (non-technical) spoilers!

I'm off to bed now, it's 1 am. Will try to answer any additional questions tomorrow.

Awesome article, great read.

FaintDeftone

Looks like my 970 and i7 4790k will do the trick just fine, but I'm buying the game on PS4 for the potentially larger player base. Still, I may end up double dipping if I enjoy the game as much as the others just so I can play at higher framerates.

Mifec

Looks like my 970 and i7 4790k will do the trick just fine, but I'm buying the game on PS4 for the potentially larger player base. Still, I may end up double dipping if I enjoy the game as much as the others just so I can play at higher framerates.

Pretty sure 1 and 2 sold more on PC.

Grief.exe

The communities will likely be comparable at launch with PC having the longer tail.

Arkeband

Banned

The player bases on PC were fine, the only issues I ran into were hackers in DS1 while it was on GFWL.

aeolist

Banned
The player bases on PC were fine, the only issues I ran into were hackers in DS1 while it was on GFWL.

there will be hackers no matter what. i was going through parts of ds2 a few weeks back and got invaded by an invincible teleporting wizard who seemed to be manipulating lag to backstab me.

Arkeband

Banned
there will be hackers no matter what. i was going through parts of ds2 a few weeks back and got invaded by an invincible teleporting wizard who seemed to be manipulating lag to backstab me.

The guy who got me in DS1 went around killing all of my NPC's, hopefully that doesn't happen in DS3.

DMTripper

Oh yeah forgot to say that this will be going on my SSD...

SSD life is soooooooo fucking sweet. I'll be able to invade faster than ever before :-D

Kamina

Golden Boy
So did I understand that right:
Regardless of the resolution, framedrops are about to happen in those later demanding areas?
Or is that at a specific Res upwards?

I'm just wondering if my i7 4790 can do 1080/60 on Ultra constantly.

Grief.exe

So did I understand that right:
Regardless of the resolution, framedrops are about to happen in those later demanding areas?
Or is that at a specific Res upwards?

I'm just wondering if my i7 4790 can do 1080/60 on Ultra constantly.

The game is going to be GPU dependant outside of one specific area that has some issues.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Pretty much.

Apparently those areas drop down into the low teens on the consoles. From just can't help themselves.
Fuck really? Do we have any sourcess?
I am currently considering whether to buy for PS4 tomorrow or for PC on Tuesday

J4g3r

This'll be the first time I go PC Day 1 on a Souls game, really looking forward to it.

Will still be getting PS4 later down the line though for community variety.

Pretty sure 1 and 2 sold more on PC.

1 especially is still a lot more active on the console versions.

Variety of player-base is a factor too; the Japanese Souls community is insane, most of them will be on PS4.

Fuck really? Do we have any sourcess?
I am currently considering whether to buy for PS4 tomorrow or for PC on Tuesday

The source is the hundreds of thousands of people who are already playing the game. I played the area in question for the second time last night. It's bad. 1.03 is supposed to improve performance though right? We'll see.

golem

No, it doesn't. Will have to rely on the community, I think there was a fix for SOTFS, no?
That sucks. There is a fix for the previous game but people were worried if it would interfere with Steam Guard (which ended up never being turned on). Hopefully there will be an adequate solution this time around as well

Top Bottom