• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante's Dark Souls PC Performance Article Now Available on PC Gamer

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If I play the game with a 970 on an ancient i5 2.7ghz quad core, can I lock the frame rate to 30 and have all the bells and whistles on without it going below 30?

Durante

Fuck really? Do we have any sourcess?
I am currently considering whether to buy for PS4 tomorrow or for PC on Tuesday
Well, your PC will most certainly perform a whole lot better than PS4.

If I play the game with a 970 on an ancient i5 2.7ghz quad core, can I lock the frame rate to 30 and have all the bells and whistles on without it going below 30?
In most of the areas of the game, yes. In the "special" ones your minimum framerate might dip below 30 with the current state of the game. 2.7 GHz is borderline for those.

Looks like my 970 and i7 4790k will do the trick just fine, but I'm buying the game on PS4 for the potentially larger player base. Still, I may end up double dipping if I enjoy the game as much as the others just so I can play at higher framerates.
I doubt the player base will be larger in a significant way on PS4. For DS2, for which there was public data, online play was actually most active on PC.

I doubt the player base will be larger in a significant way on PS4. For DS2, for which there was public data, online play was actually most active on PC.

I played both at launch and my unscientific observation was significantly more activity on PC. I still remember the insanity on day 1 where the Cardinal Tower was littered with hundreds of summon signs strewn across the ground everywhere. Never saw anything like it in the PS3 launch.

Both the passive and active online features seemed more active on PC for whatever reason.

nkarafo

I've seen this "drops frames regardless the system" situation a few times.

GTA4 still can't be brute forced to run at stable 60fps even now, 6 years later.

Sonic Generations PC has a couple of areas in Chemical Plant zone that drop frames in single digits for a couple of seconds. Graphic settings or rig configuration don't matter.

I'm not an expert but i think these things happen not because your rig can't handle them but because the game engine itself cant handle those areas. The actual game engine is the bottleneck.

About black crush, I always found From's in-game brightness setting is worthless. People who follow it end up with black crush, because even at the lowest setting you can still see the thing you're not supposed to see, but everything gets way too dark. At default settings, dark areas get dark, and outside areas are well lit.

When you're in a dark area at the lowest brightness settings, it feels right because you actually need to use your torch or the hand lantern in Bloodborne, but I find it unlikely that the intended look for the game was for it to be so dark at every moment that you're always losing detail.

Remember you have to manually set your RGB range on your PS4, the auto setting sometimes doesn't properly communicate with your TV's that do not properly communicate their RGB range properly.

I played both at launch and my unscientific observation was significantly more activity on PC. I still remember the insanity on day 1 where the Cardinal Tower was littered with hundreds of summon signs strewn across the ground everywhere. Never saw anything like it in the PS3 launch.

Both the passive and active online features seemed more active on PC for whatever reason.

There is actually a limit to the amount of signs and summons on any given server that you're on. There can never be "hundreds" strewn about. Sounds like something was off at that time in regards to the version you're playing.

Grief.exe

I've seen this "drops frames regardless the system" situation a few times.

GTA4 still can't be brute forced to run at stable 60fps even now, 6 years later.

Sonic Generations PC has a couple of areas in Chemical Plant zone that drop frames in single digits for a couple of seconds. Graphic settings or rig configuration don't matter.

I'm not an expert but i think these things happen not because your rig can't handle them but because the game engine itself cant handle those areas. The actual game engine is the bottleneck.

You would think they would have learned their lesson from Dark Souls 1.

MUnited83

For you.
Well, your PC will most certainly perform a whole lot better than PS4.

In most of the areas of the game, yes. In the "special" ones your minimum framerate might dip below 30 with the current state of the game. 2.7 GHz is borderline for those.

Having played all the playstation and PC versions, it was usually always more active on PC. I guess technically now vanilla DS2 on PS3 might be more active than vanilla on PC, but that would be because almost everyone moved on to SOTFS.

mulac

I'll playthrough and platinum on the PS4.

And buy on PC for the pretty graphics - got my 980nVidia & Asus GSync monitor all ready!

This article makes me very happy.

There is actually a limit to the amount of signs and summons on any given server that you're on. There can never be "hundreds" strewn about. Sounds like something was off at that time in regards to the version you're playing.

To clarify. It was like there were about 10 or so summon signs in every room you went. They were like graffiti on the floor and everywhere you turned. Not 100 on the screen at a time, but easily thatmany spread throughout the level since they were in every room or hallway you went.

Haroon

Someone on www.wsgf.org posted a 21:9 screenshot that was pillarboxed to the closest 16:9 resolution. :(

Picture:
rqzCHeb.png

That's very unfortunate. I was hoping that that would not be the case. Thanks for the heads up man!

Game runs smoothly most times but good God some areas run like total dogshit! Two areas in particular were
Farron Keep
and
Dragon Barracks
the former more so, felt like blight town again at times.
Im running it on a titan x and i7 4770k for reference. 90% of the time though it ran fine

Gbraga

Game runs smoothly most times but good God some areas run like total dogshit! Two areas in particular were
Farron Keep
and
Dragon Barracks
the former more so, felt like blight town again at times.
Im running it on a titan x and i7 4770k for reference. 90% of the time though it ran fine

For reference, what is total dogshit to you? Are we talking about relative to most of the game or is it actually comparable to console Blighttown even with your rig?

If it's the latter, really not looking forward to those areas >_<

For reference, what is total dogshit to you? Are we talking about relative to most of the game or is it actually comparable to console Blighttown even with your rig?

If it's the latter, really not looking forward to those areas >_<
Might have been an exaggeration coupled with forgetting JUST how bad that area was on console haha.
In regards to the first spoiler,Im talking sub 20 fps at times and making it really hard to time dodges and attacks and camera pans chugging along. It's an inmediate, noticeable drop in frames as soon as you enter the area.
Second spoiler tag, not so much. Noticeably un-smooth but not unplayable.

It's just jarring because the rest of the game runs pretty smooth and then tanks.

Note that
  1. This is a friggin' 3500 word article.
  2. I tried to cover everything I ever overlooked in any previous port report, or which anyone else might overlook if just quickly benchmarking the game.
    - Various gameplay tests at multiple framerates? There.
    - Different audio channel and frequency configurations? Tested.
    - Steam controller and streaming compatibility? It's in there!
    - Every single setting? You bet.
    - CPU benchmarks at multiple areas throughout the game? Yep, and was it ever important!
  3. PC gamer just had a design change, and right now you can't zoom in on the images. This sucks, but it will hopefully get sorted out.
And all of that while avoiding any (non-technical) spoilers!

I'm off to bed now, it's 1 am. Will try to answer any additional questions tomorrow.

Thank you for everything that you do!!!

Gbraga

Might have been an exaggeration coupled with forgetting JUST how bad that area was on console haha.
In regards to the first spoiler,Im talking sub 20 fps at times and making it really hard to time dodges and attacks and camera pans chugging along. It's an inmediate, noticeable drop in frames as soon as you enter the area.

It's just jarring because the rest of the game runs pretty smooth and then tanks.

JESUS CHRIST.

I think total dogshit is justified, then.

Samaritan

Excellent write-up as usual Durante! Really appreciated the attention given to the CPU performance. I'm now wondering how my stock clock 6600K will suffice with this game. Seems like I can't just power through it with my 980 Ti.

AU Tiger

Great writeup as always man.

Wonder what are the odds of an overclocked 980ti and 4770k getting a smooth framerate downsampled from 4k?

I ran the first two games ds'd from 4k and they both stayed locked at 60fps. I know the new game is a lot more detailed but still curious what you guys think it would run at.

Phased

Great writeup.

With an R9 390 and FX-8370 I'm hoping to hold a steady 60 in most of the areas except those "special" zones.

My CPU bottlenecks me more than anything else though, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

Daante

3570k @ 3,4 ghz (turbo boost possible to 3,7 ghz)
8g ram
SSD

If i buy a gtx 970 i would be able to play the game in 1080p/60 the majority of time, with most of the "important" settings set to max. Correct?

nkarafo

But wait.

If it's sub 20 on a Titan X, how much it is if you have a more "reasonable" card?

I will assume its the same drop, if it's indeed the game engine at fault and not the system config. Right?

Durante

3570k @ 3,4 ghz (turbo boost possible to 3,7 ghz)
8g ram
SSD

If i buy a gtx 970 i would be able to play the game in 1080p/60 the majority of time, with most of the "important" settings set to max. Correct?
Yes. Except you can probably set all the settings to max.

But wait.

If it's sub 20 on a Titan X, how much it is if you have a more "reasonable" card?
What? It's not sub-20 on a Titan X. It's never ever going to be GPU limited on a Titan X.

I don't understand what you are talking about.

nkarafo

What? It's not sub-20 on a Titan X. It's never ever going to be GPU limited on a Titan X.

I don't understand what you are talking about.

That guy said he gets sub 20fps drops with a Titan X and a i7 4770k.

So i wonder if those drops (in that particular area) can be worse than that on lesser systems.

Durante

That guy said he gets sub 20fps drops with a Titan X and a i7 4770k.
Well, if he does get sub-20 FPS, then it's not because of the Titan X (unless running at very high resolutions) ;)

But really, I think it might not have been sub-20 FPS. Even something like 30 FPS can feel really bad if it's a sudden drop from most of a game running at 60.

Well, if he does get sub-20 FPS, then it's not because of the Titan X (unless running at very high resolutions) ;)

But really, I think it might not have been sub-20 FPS. Even something like 30 FPS can feel really bad if it's a sudden drop from most of a game running at 60.

Unless the game runs weirdly windowed vs fullscreen then, running windowed 1080p I was definitely getting between like 18-30fps in
Farron Keep
It was far more than a sudden drop, other areas were at 30fps and didnt feel as bad as the tagged area.
That being said its just that one area and some parts of it are worse than others. It also runs better now on the newer drivers and stayed within a higher framerate

EDIT: Just went through the area again paying very close attention to Fraps and it barely ever hit 30. It was stuck in the 20-25 range most of the way through except for a few areas deeper in. Fighting 3 of the big dudes at once I saw 19fps. Again this is windowed 1080p, changing it to fullscreen 1440p did almost no difference

Very good article. I'm looking forward to this game.

I have a Core i5 4690K, 2GB GTX760 and 8GB RAM. I'm hoping to get a solid 30fps with medium-high settings if that's possible. That's pretty much how I got on with The Witcher 3, so if I could repeat that I'd be happy.

The original specs for the game made me think I could max it out at 60fps, but the revised ones have brought that expectation down.

Sayad

Would my i7-6700 @ 3.4GHz and 970 be enough to run this at 1080p/60fps?

I'm really conflicted between picking it up on PS4 today(they started selling it over here) and waiting few months to pick the PC version after a price drop(probably around the DLC release) or just waiting few more days for the PC version.

GHG

Do know where else to ask this so sorry if I'm in the wrong place but am I right in saying this game seems to be closer to Demons Souls than any of the previous Souls games have been? I really liked Demons Souls but struggled to get into Dark Souls 1 and haven't even tried 2 yet because of that. Should I be giving this a shot?

Sayad

Do know where else to ask this so sorry if I'm in the wrong place but am I right in saying this game seems to be closer to Demons Souls than any of the previous Souls games have been? I really liked Demons Souls but struggled to get into Dark Souls 1 and haven't even tried 2 yet because of that. Should I be giving this a shot?
You're probably better off asking this in the import thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199435

Gbraga

EDIT: Just went through the area again paying very close attention to Fraps and it barely ever hit 30. It was stuck in the 20-25 range most of the way through except for a few areas deeper in. Fighting 3 of the big dudes at once I saw 19fps. Again this is windowed 1080p, changing it to fullscreen 1440p did almost no difference

That's crazy. Crazy enough to look like a bug, at least, so maybe we'll get a patch to put it at least in the low 30s.

That's crazy. Crazy enough to look like a bug, at least, so maybe we'll get a patch to put it at least in the low 30s.

Could just be my system or something since Durante didn't report it bring THAT bad but it's enough to be very noticeably sluggish. Keep in mind that it fluctuates so while I say it hits sub 20fps it's not a constant thing. There are times when you go inside buildings that it goes back up to 35-40 but the entire area is a black mark on what is generally smooth in other areas.

I will try it on my other rig later which has an i7-5960x in it and a 980Ti to see if there's any change. PC version hasn't updated on Steam since I got it a few weeks ago either BTW so it's likely further patches or drivers will change it when it launches properly

Durante, in the article you mentioned there were a few driver related crashes. Nvidia has released the "game ready" driver for DS3 now. Does that fix the crashing issue?

Top Bottom