• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 Open Beta Discussion/Impressions

androvsky

They should have started developing on PS4...this game doesn't belong on PS3. Played two rounds, yea this is one the worst FPS's I have seen or played. Released in 2013 and somehow it manages to look worse than Battlefield 2142 which was released in 2006...

Awful graphics
Awful sound
Bad art everywhere
Bad tech
Terrible physics, stuff disappears too quickly

On the positive side at least the controls are really good. Game is being developed in China right? it figures...
You do realize that it's in beta, as in real beta and not a marketing beta, and there's a huge patch due in two days, right?

Akainu

Uprising is the update, it's on Monday (6th May). This includes things like the graphical upgrade, streamlined skill system and updated factional warfare. It's not 100% confirmed, but 48 player battles might also be enabled, upgraded from the current 32 players.

14th May is being classed as the official release. That isn't a full new build, but they'll patch in certain pieces of content, such as new weapons, maps and planetary conquest mode.

Alright that's what I was wondering about.

kms_md

They should have started developing on PS4...this game doesn't belong on PS3. Played two rounds, yea this is one the worst FPS's I have seen or played. Released in 2013 and somehow it manages to look worse than Battlefield 2142 which was released in 2006...

Awful graphics
Awful sound
Bad art everywhere
Bad tech

On the positive side at least the controls are really good. Game is being developed in China right? it figures...

IIRC, the choice to develop on PS3 was an intentional one. They wanted a platform that would be inexpensive in the upcoming years and had a wide install base (although PC would have perfectly fit that role).

IIRC, the choice to develop on PS3 was an intentional one. They wanted a platform that would be inexpensive in the upcoming years and had a wide install base (although PC would have perfectly fit that role).

yea they should have gone with PC...being on PS3 hurts this game a lot!

androvsky

yea they should have gone with PC...being on PS3 hurts this game a lot!

I think specifically they wanted to get people interested that play mainly on consoles. Plus keeping it PS3 exclusive gets them more marketing from Sony, like including Dust 514 Merc Pack vouchers with new systems.

Don't spend all of your skillpoints yet.

It's clear that there are still quite a few bugs that need to be ironed out with the release of Uprising. Most notably being that Vehicle Engineering does not apply the % PowerGrid upgrade at all at this point. If you're a vehicle driver you know that the skill is absolutely critical for fitting properly.

Also be wary of dedicating all of your points into shield tanking your dropsuits like pre-uprising because Scrambler Rifles (+20% damage to shields) won't be incorporated until 5/14.

Edit : And Vehicle Shield Modules are asking for skills from Dropsuit shield modules ... wow.

The Light

The game looks much better now. I don't think im going to spend any of my skill points until next week. Need to figure what i'm going to spec into as a logi again. I miss that starter logi suit already lol.

JWong

Banned
Soooo... blueprints can be only bought with Aurum?

Is there no way to get Aurum without paying? Seems Pay2win-ish

Nah, it's not a big deal. If you're team player you won't need to grind ISKs to get decent items, ~130k ISK per match is enough to stay supplied with suits and shit for the rest of the day. Just try not to die stupidly.

Akainu

Yes
Cause of blue prints? They are just normal militia stuff you just never run out of. And most paid for stuff is just getting things with lower skills. The best stuff is still bought with in game money.

androvsky

Don't forget starter characters come with free unlimited use builds for Scouts, Logistics (medic), Assault, and Anti-Vehicle builds. I strongly recommend keeping them, especially the anti-vehicle one so that if the other team starts dropping tanks all over you'll have something to do.

As has been already said, the blueprint originals (BPOs) are only for low-level stuff and not that big a deal, especially the milita ones. I haven't looked at prices too closely for this build, but it used to be pretty tough to lose money with straight militia equipment.

androvsky

So I can get heavy armor with a mini gun that never uses stock?

Unless things have changed this build, there's no BPO minigun, and possibly not even a militia one. If you want to run as a heavy with a minigun you'll probably have to spend some time as something cheaper to build up funds. Or just not die. :) Once you get a feel for how much things cost and how much you make per match, you can figure out how often you can spawn your heavy build per match, or just save a bunch for a single battle.

Don't forget the real game is supposed to be corporate battles, and those are going to have a lot of ISK backing them, especially if the Eve economy gets integrated. What everyone's been playing for the last year is essentially the practice mode.

JWong

Banned
Unless things have changed this build, there's no BPO minigun, and possibly not even a militia one. If you want to run as a heavy with a minigun you'll probably have to spend some time as something cheaper to build up funds. Or just not die. :) Once you get a feel for how much things cost and how much you make per match, you can figure out how often you can spawn your heavy build per match, or just save a bunch for a single battle.

Don't forget the real game is supposed to be corporate battles, and those are going to have a lot of ISK backing them, especially if the Eve economy gets integrated. What everyone's been playing for the last year is essentially the practice mode.

Ah yeah, I see.

Those crazy armors and weapons aren't blueprints, so I guess that's fair.
Then what's Aurum for? lol

Is there a web page with weapon and skill information? The menu in the game is kind of janky which makes it really hard to look between weapons and compare them. I also thought that armors needed Skills to unlock them, but I can buy all the armors.

androvsky

Ah yeah, I see.

Those crazy armors and weapons aren't blueprints, so I guess that's fair.
Then what's Aurum for? lol

Is there a web page with weapon and skill information? The menu in the game is kind of janky which makes it really hard to look between weapons and compare them. I also thought that armors needed Skills to unlock them, but I can buy all the armors.

Aurum's essentially for speeding up skill progression. The big thing to buy with Aurum is skill boosters. All the Aurum equipment is basically the same thing as ISK equipment, but with lower skill requirements, usually one tier lower skill requirements for the stats.

The other thing is being able to spam high-end equipment. Normally a single top-end build will cost more than you'd make in one random match, but with Aurum you can load up on enough high-end equipment to last through an important match even if you're low on ISK. It's also possible there's wealthy insane people constantly buying top-end stuff with Aurum for random deathmatches.

I think the game will let you buy anything, even if you can't equip it. It'll even still let you buy multiple skill books, which is a bit nuts. Eventually you're supposed to be able sell and trade equipment, which is why. I don't know if there's a web page with info on weapons and skills yet.

Awful graphics
Awful sound
Bad art everywhere
Bad tech

Damn! That sucks if true.

They really should've waited for the PS4 for this.

JWong

Banned
Thanks.

What's a Forge Gun?
I think I tried looking for it, but I wasn't sure if I can't see it because I hadn't gotten the skill or something.

Setsuna

Thanks.

What's a Forge Gun?
I think I tried looking for it, but I wasn't sure if I can't see it because I hadn't gotten the skill or something.

forge gun is basically a mobile railgun only usable by the heavy suit

also people need to stop complaing about this game not being on ps4 i barely think this game has enough gameplay to survive on the ps3 no amount of graphics are going to help with how this game currently works

JWong

Banned
Having not played an FPS on console for a while, my aiming is shit.
Even though I got some good shots off with a sniper, it still feels like I'm not doing enough damage.

Anyone recommend a build?

I was gonna go Heavy with a Shotgun, but stopped doing it when I saw that it used ISKs.
I did get 5 consecutive kills when I had it once.

Akainu

Even though I got some good shots off with a sniper, it still feels like I'm not doing enough damage.

I was gonna go Heavy with a Shotgun, but stopped doing it when I saw that it used ISKs.
If you are worried about money just play a lot of ambush. And use one of the starter builds you can get like 180,000~200,000 a match.

If you want to use shotgun, then I recommend skilling into the minmatar medium suit. Use complex shield extenders to buff your hp, but don't use armour plates because they slow you down (speed is important for shotgun users). You might also want to consider a kinetic catalyzer as well, because this improves your sprinting speed.

JWong

Banned
If you want to use shotgun, then I recommend skilling into the minmatar medium suit. Use complex shield extenders to buff your hp, but don't use armour plates because they slow you down (speed is important for shotgun users). You might also want to consider a kinetic catalyzer as well, because this improves your sprinting speed.

Assault Suit?

I just got done trying out the beta.

All I can say is it was one of the ABSOLUTE WORST First Person Shooter Experiences I have had in a LONG time.

This game flat out sucks.

Terrible controls, horrible aiming, abysmal gunplay, putrid graphics, horrendous menu, abhorrent design, etc.

Everything about this game is reprehensible.

I had hear some people complain about this and thought they were exaggerating. Boy was I wrong. Forget next-gen!

This crap looks like a PS2 game.

Last thing I want on next-gen is a game resembling a PS3 game.

CCP representatives are doing some serious damage control on the forums today and are assuring people that the glitches currently in game will be hotfixed on the 14th. Great news really.

Some of the stuff confirmed to be fixed :

Camera Issue with LAV
Shield Modules on Vehicles needing Dropsuit Skills
Vehicle Engineering not applying its PG Bonus
Logistics LAV not having a Dropsuit Repair Module built in

Assault Suit?
Sort of. The medium suits have exactly the same basic stats as the assault suits, without a minor class buff (25% extra shield recharge). You need to get the medium suit skill to level 5 before you're even able to get the prerequisite assault suit skill (it costs over 6 million SP to reach prototype assault) so your only option is medium suits if you haven't got masses of SP.

For shotgun, scout can be very effective as well because of their speed, but they have very little health and die way too easily in front line combat. The Minmatar medium is the best of both worlds, because it's still pretty fast and you can fit a lot more hp onto it.

No, the only things individual skills unlock are what's stated in the description, with the exception of being prerequisites for other skills. Some skills don't have stat bonuses, so the only reason to level them up is to unlock certain items and equipment; there's no reason to level these ones any higher than the desired items it unlocks. I do believe CCP is making an effort to add more passive benefits to skills in future builds.

I wanted to buy some BPOs but never got around to it. Was thinking of buying these with the aurum from the merc pack:

Militia Repair tool
Militia Nanite injector
Militia Armor Plates
Militia Armor Repairer
Militia Shield Extender
Militia Shield Recharger
Comes out to around 38,000 Aurum.
My personal opinion is NO. Militia gear serves a purpose for when you're learning the mechanics of Dust, but is superseded quite quickly. You can quite easily make a cheap ISK suit which is a lot superior to the militia stuff.

If you're having trouble making money then limit you suit loadout costs to a certain amount, based on how many you lose per game on average. For example if you usually die 10 times then limit your suit costs to around 10,000-15,000 ISK. Based on a rough average earning of 200k per battle, you can easily support this cost and have a decent amount left over from most battles. Only use free or militia loadouts if you need to save up money to buy something, such as a skillbook.

Save the Aurum and spend it mainly on boosters, which are far more useful.

The Light

Man went into my first merc battle yesterday and was promptly destroyed. I couldn't put a dent into the opponents dropsuits. I can't wait until I have the ISK to get the better suits.

I wanted to buy some BPOs but never got around to it. Was thinking of buying these with the aurum from the merc pack:

Militia Repair tool
Militia Nanite injector
Militia Armor Plates
Militia Armor Repairer
Militia Shield Extender
Militia Shield Recharger
Was also thinking of adding $10 to get the sever dropsuit, but idk if that would be a good investment since I primarily want to use the Gallente logi suits.

Setsuna

Man went into my first merc battle yesterday and was promptly destroyed. I couldn't put a dent into the opponents dropsuits. I can't wait until I have the ISK to get the better suits.

Militia Repair tool
Militia Nanite injector
Militia Armor Plates
Militia Armor Repairer
Militia Shield Extender
Militia Shield Recharger
Was also thinking of adding $10 to get the sever dropsuit, but idk if that would be a good investment since I primarily want to use the Gallente logi suits.

arent all those things like 1000 isk on the marketplace

why not get some advanced armor from the marketplace instead

JWong

Banned
No, the only things individual skills unlock are what's stated in the description, with the exception of being prerequisites for other skills. Some skills don't have stat bonuses, so the only reason to level them up is to unlock certain items and equipment; there's no reason to level these ones any higher than the desired items it unlocks. I do believe CCP is making an effort to add more passive benefits to skills in future builds.

Wait, does that mean I didn't even need to skill up Mimitar Medium Armor?

Wait, does that mean I didn't even need to skill up Mimitar Medium Armor?

If you're a new player and the Minmatar Medium skill is at least level 1 then you should be good for a while. Before leveling it higher, you should concentrate on getting some decent modules for the standard Minmatar medium dropsuit. Specifically, you should aim on getting complex shield extenders as soon as possible.

Higher levels of that skill give you access to better (but more expensive) dropsuits. This is only at level 3 (advanced) and level 5 (prototype). The advanced suit is a pretty good upgrade and it's something you should work towards in the medium - long term, after you've the standard suit setup pretty well. If you're still happy staying with the shotgun then don't neglect the kinetic catalyzer module as well. It does take quite a bit of SP to get into, and shields are more important, so you should be OK sticking with the militia variant for now.

I was seriously lost after the update. I didn't know they refunded my gear and I had to respec. The new skills layout is great; I can't finally tell exactly what I'm getting and where it leads.

I had about 2.5 sp and 20 million isk

I'm geared up and ready to go now. Does GAF have any EVE presence? I'd like to head over to a GAF area to fight.

JWong

Banned
If you're a new player and the Minmatar Medium skill is at least level 1 then you should be good for a while. Before leveling it higher, you should concentrate on getting some decent modules for the standard Minmatar medium dropsuit. Specifically, you should aim on getting complex shield extenders as soon as possible.

Higher levels of that skill give you access to better (but more expensive) dropsuits. This is only at level 3 (advanced) and level 5 (prototype). The advanced suit is a pretty good upgrade and it's something you should work towards in the medium - long term, after you've the standard suit setup pretty well. If you're still happy staying with the shotgun then don't neglect the kinetic catalyzer module as well. It does take quite a bit of SP to get into, and shields are more important, so you should be OK sticking with the militia variant for now.

Ah, there's unlocks. I didn't think there were because it doesn't list any or show them in the store. I think I'll work on weapons first.

Does the second category of dropsuit just increase stats?

The Light

My personal opinion is NO. Militia gear serves a purpose for when you're learning the mechanics of Dust, but is superseded quite quickly. You can quite easily make a cheap ISK suit which is a lot superior to the militia stuff.

If you're having trouble making money then limit you suit loadout costs to a certain amount, based on how many you lose per game on average. For example if you usually die 10 times then limit your suit costs to around 10,000-15,000 ISK. Based on a rough average earning of 200k per battle, you can easily support this cost and have a decent amount left over from most battles. Only use free or militia loadouts if you need to save up money to buy something, such as a skillbook.

Save the Aurum and spend it mainly on boosters, which are far more useful.
I just figured they would help save on ISK (Mainly injector and suit) especially when I'm low on the higher tier stuff. Militia stuff is weak, but I wouldn't use them in any serious merc battles. I basically die about 5 times in a battle, so I can easily make back what I spent in one match. (Still have basic starter loadout with exile AR) Thinking about it now it would be a waste to buy them since I think i would be able to sustain a higher tier loadout, but will have to make some sacrifices in a few areas since I only have 23 million ISK.

I haven't played it yet but can I link my Dust account with my EVE one? Can I transfer ISK between them?
You can't link them, and currently you cannot transfer isk to them. That's coming in the future from what CCP has said, but apparently they are looking in to how that can be limited in order to keep one game's economy from breaking another.

Speaking of DUST, I did my own writeup of it comparing it to my previous analysis of the DUST beta. Shameless self-promotion and all, but it might be a good read for some.

http://www.warpdriveactive.com/2013/05/08/the-monster-dust-514-uprising-review/

I'm actually quite enjoying myself in this new build. The majority of my skill points have gone into vehicles, I've specced into Gallente Dropships, HAVs and LAVs and have access to Logistics LAVs as well. Some fine tuning still needs to be done to make Remote Repair modules on vehicles more easily usable but I like going around in a fitting that I've created on LLAV that has a CRU equipped to it.

On the dropsuit side I've been using my Skinweave Logistics (Militia Logistics BPO that they distributed months ago, super valuable now that there are no Militia Logistics suits that don't require skills on the marketplace anymore) equipped with a Nanite Injector and Remote Repairer ... and yeah.

Finding a corp really helped with my enjoyment of the game, going from no squads to squads all the time is like night and day.

What are the best weapons to use for mid and close range engagements? What skills should I make sure I invest in early? What are the essential skills to have?

Akainu

What are the best weapons to use for mid and close range engagements? What skills should I make sure I invest in early? What are the essential skills to have?
Hard to say for me Shotguns (breach shotguns have a bit better range; though only 2 shots before you have to reload) and submachine guns I suppose, though I guess the assault rifle is fine. For me I usually have skills for armor repair and nanohives for resupplying my ammo. Maybe you might want to invest in shield rechargers and boosters. But if you want to fit any good stuff on you at least need to have the 3rd armor upgrade for whatever armor you are using.

Also maybe the grenade launcher is good I suck at using it though with the arcing.

Top Bottom