• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did a concept like EVE: DUST 514 [EVE ONLINE] not take off where two standalone multiplayer genres effect a single universe?

i can't think of any recent game that have done what Dust 514 and EVE ONLINE tried:
"There was direct interaction between the two; player actions in one game affected the political, economic, legal, environmental, and social status of the other. "

Surely Apex Lengend a battle royale, could have been as it is today alongside a Titanfall 4.

Last edited:
Why would Apex Legends affect Titanfall in anyway. Jesus, NO THANK YOU to that. If they ever make Titanfall3 it'll surely be ruined with Apex like skins.

Now as for why this never took off? Well probably because the tech just wasn't really there. I remember playing Dust 514 on PS3 and it looked decent atmospherically but the gameplay was pretty bad. Plus MAG, which was a much more effective concept had already been out for 3 years at that point. So no one was really itching to play Dust 514 anyway.

I remember being somewhat hyped for Dust 514 as I was playing a lot of MAG and then gradually losing interest once it released, think I dropped it within a year. From what I recall it didn't really do a good job of conveying all this interaction with EVE to Dust players, so I never really had an idea of what effect it was all having - probably the same for most not invested in EVE Online.

RagnarokIV

Lots of potential.

Too late now though, it'd be used as a way to ramp up 'engagement' metrics in a GAAS battle pass machine.

Shubh_C63

Different market crowd and making an ambitious FPS game isn't easy mechanics wise.

Sure interesting but you know EVE Online players would never play an FPS game, genre is worlds apart. Best luck is getting FPS player to flock to their game which needed the game to compete with other giant FPS, which we all know isn't an easy task. If Dust514 played like Titanfall even then it wasn't a guaranteed success.

Top Bottom