• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 [PS3/PSVita] (EVE Online FPS/MMO) - Update #2: Art, Info, E3 Trailer, F2P

KKRT00

How is this game revolutionary?

I would honestly prefer CCP do something with the World of Darkness IP they have.
And how this game isnt revolutionary [except shooting part of course]? Every other mechanics are unique and whole integration concept is another level of interaction, its something similar to Crossplayer concept of asynchronous MP, where EVE players makes quests for Dust players.
Its first shooter with meaningful objectives, instead of leveling/leaderboards.

And about WoD, they will, dont worry:) They just need to support Dust first, because its EVE content and their key to console market [at least thats what they think :p]

Aselith

How is this game revolutionary?

I would honestly prefer CCP do something with the World of Darkness IP they have.

Well, it's going to connect into an existing world in a meaningful way to the point where people from the older world will be able to perform airstrikes for the people in the FPS and not only that but the battle over planetary territory will affect the older world in that a planet capture in Dust will actually gain control for your corporation in Eve. I'd say that's very revolutionary as far as social interconnectedness and giving gameplay in an FPS real stakes to care about.

One of the biggest problems with the genre is that the gameplay is meaningless outside of stat chasing. Assuming this works as well as intended, this would add some real stakes to each battle and being able to call in airstrikes and the like from friends in Eve and planetary captures having real consequences should go a long way toward making the world feel persistent from a larger standpoint than watching an XP bar go up.

Granted, no one else can do this but it doesn't make it any less revolutionary.

Plus there may be other things that haven't been revealed yet. Imagine your corp being able to manufacture weapons in Eve and then airdrop them to you out on the battlefield and things like that.

KKRT00

Plus there may be other things that haven't been revealed yet. Imagine your corp being able to manufacture weapons in Eve and then airdrop them to you out on the battlefield and things like that.

I'm pretty sure that You will be able to trade with EVE players and those items from fitting screens are mostly normal EVE fitting items.

Cornbread78

I've been keepign an eye out for info on this game. Anyone that gets into the BETA, please post imporessions as I'm very curious on how this one plays out....

Dyno

I'm pretty excited about this! The persistance sounds like a really intriguing idea and I'm looking forward to seeing how exactly Dust interacts with EVE. Plus it looks like a decent down-the-barrel shooter experience too boot.

I go in with no expectations, just the desire to explore how it works. Of course it helps to already have an EVE sponsor in the wings. A friend of mine has played the game for ages and has been an executive on one board or another and deals in billions of ISK.

Dusky

Meh no full game on the vita is kind of a bummer. Would have been interested to see how it turned out. Still F2P could work.

They never announced a vita version. They always called it "an app for the Vita." Some people got carried away and thought that meant the full game.

Raoh

Very cool indeed.

I'd like to see EVE come to ps3/ps4 and dust to pc as well though.

Even as a companion app, if it is compelling enough to help my character out it would be worth it.

The question is can it all work together enough to make me want to

Play DUST 514 in the evenings, EVE on the weekends (or vice a versa) with vita play during my train rides to and from work.

I know some would like to have the dust experience on the vita but I am perfectly fine with a unique experience on each platform. (although no dust 514 on pc does seem silly)

Aselith

Meh no full game on the vita is kind of a bummer. Would have been interested to see how it turned out. Still F2P could work.

I bet they would have been willing to do a Vita version if you were able to do multiplayer 3G. The big problem is why not play on your PS3 if you're at home? And you wouldn't be ABLE to play it the majority of the time on the road. Vita version just isn't particularly compelling if you can't take advantage of it on the go. At least they aren't ignoring the platform entirely.

It would have been nice to have a version for it just for people in wifi hotspots but that severely limits the potential audience since wifi definitely isn't ubiquitous at this point. I think it would have done really well as a good shooter that you can play on the platform though so I feel like just make it an app is a bit of a misstep but F2P on PS3 should give them a nice audience. This is all assuming the game is worth a damn which it seems like it will be to me.

Buxaroo

Neo Member
All of you guys and gals are missing the point about why Dust 514 isn't going to be on the PC as well: no way in hell a console player can compete with a PC player in a FPS. That's a fact.

And no, Planetside 2 isn't going to be on consoles....have you seen the DX11 features they have in their leaked footage? Granted, they could have programmed the game utilizing DX9 as well, but I seriously doubt that. If anything, it might be ported to one of the future consoles, but alas, it will have the same problem: competing against those who use keyboard+mouse. It aint gonna happen.

godnorazi

Banned
∀ Narayan;28295109 said:
Screenshots from that article. (Originally extracted from the Dust 514 website.)

nXzs3.jpg

JR4yj.jpg

uX9XO.jpg

ujdCQ.jpg

Af5tQ.jpg

D1U9B.jpg

131iL.jpg

It does look as though it may be a PS3 exclusive. The countdown ends on the same day Sony's conference is being held.

im getting a Halo3 meets BF3's blue-tint filter vibe

mil6es

watching this stream makes me feel like EVE has grown into so much more than a MMO now

Politics,Banking and so on.... amazing

Yeah. The whole CSM panel was pretty hilarious. All of the Q&A stuff so far has been pretty solid.

Tomorrow is the EVE keynote. It'll be interesting to see what's in store for the Inferno expansion.

The Dust keynote was delayed a little bit. Should be coming up soon.

Mindlog

This crowd is full of dicks and by dicks I mean EVE fans.
"We won't repeat the same mistakes as last year," sarcastic applause.

I wonder if PS3 owners will be setting alarm clocks.
That battlefield map is pretty impressive.

Paying for HD streaming... yeah no.

Edit, omg, can't believe they actually did manage to do seamless DUST 514 + Eve Online interaction. That was really cool.

Nivert

Will there be an HD recording for free?

It looks pretty impressive. I need to see more gameplay, or try it myself, to get a real feel for it but the fitting and lobby stuff looked cool.

This is without a doubt the most impressive thing I've ever seen in video gaming. Two entirely different games, on different platforms, one of them a freaking MMO, working with each other online in an active/reactive/instant way. Can't even begin to imagine how they managed that.

Deadly

Damn between this and Planetside we've sure got large scale battles covered. Game looks amazing.

Just remembered it was PS3 exclusive. Hm guess I'll be skipping it then. Glad for PS3 only gamers though

Top Bottom