• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 [PS3/PSVita] (EVE Online FPS/MMO) - Update #2: Art, Info, E3 Trailer, F2P

The Shift

Banned
No45 said:
Yeah, this isn't helping me build confidence to start the trial... :p

The sooner you lose ships and ISK the better. Playing this game in Carebear mode is the worst rhythm one could find themselves locked into. Don't worry about the grief play. Although sanctioned by CCP, if you keep your head down for a while you will be ok. Mostly.

I can recruit newcomers to my missioning/exploration corp in hi-sec until they get a footing in the game. Won't be on my main though so we will not be doing any PVP, but I will teach you what to look out for and how to deal with those situations if they arise. Incursions can be fun but the best ISK making opportunities there are for advanced players so put that aside for now. You want to get a handle on how ships systems work for a while and how fittings/implants affect performance.

Oh, install an app called EVEMon straight away. This is an invaluable tool for planning your character/s skill training. Get EFT as well as this application will help you with ship fittings. Both require your player API key. These are essential tools for this game.

No45

I have no particular issue with being griefed in game (after all if it bothers me, I can just stop playing), I'm not so comfortable with it happening outside of the game. :/

Not that I expect to EVER get into the game to that level.

darkwing

No45 said:
I have no particular issue with being griefed in game (after all if it bothers me, I can just stop playing), I'm not so comfortable with it happening outside of the game. :/

highly unlikely, its just for high level stuff, chairman level

Jhriad

No45 said:

It's so rare that it shouldn't be a concern unless you go on to become the leader or bigwig in one of the most powerful corps/alliances in the game. No one bothers with the small-medium fish.

man, i'm intrigued by this game. it feels intimidating in the same sense that Demon's Souls did when i was first reading about it.. so that's a good sign. i want something that is different, challenging, complex (but not too much), has a persistent world... this seems like a truly ambitious game with lots of potential.

please turn out well, i could see myself getting REALLY into this.

Momo

Banned
astroturfing said:
man, i'm intrigued by this game. it feels intimidating in the same sense that Demon's Souls did when i was first reading about it.. so that's a good sign. i want something that is different, challenging, complex (but not too much), has a persistent world... this seems like a truly ambitious game with lots of potential.

please turn out well, i could see myself getting REALLY into this.
Exactly how I feel. I've been trawling eve forums all week looking for more info :D

StuBurns

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
When I mentioned it I wasn't speculating :p

"they said that the price you pay for the game is also converted to in game money."
Oh yes, I apologize. Some people seemingly doubted you, but you did state it as fact.

It's an interesting interview either way though I think.

This entire thread is blowing my mind. I've never heard of EVE before now, so I didn't know video games had even begun to reach such a high level of sophistication.

remnant

Banned
If anyone is still interested in jumping back into EVE to start, PM me. Hopefully we'll get this up and running by mid-week this week.

TheExodu5

Banned
remnant said:
If anyone is still interested in jumping back into EVE to start, PM me. Hopefully we'll get this up and running by mid-week this week.

I just jumped back in yesterday.

To get other people interested, here's a shot I just took of the game. :)

eve2.png

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just tried EVE Online and got stuck at the second or third tutorial mission :D

After delivering the goods I was supposed to deliver to some orbital station the tutorial asks me to dock to my home station to continue, which I have no idea where it is.

So I undock to search this home station but the tutorial message changes to "dock to any station to continue". So I dock back into the station I was before and the message changes back to "dock to home station".

15 minutes later I was still docking and undocking at various stations so I picked up another mission requesting to destroy some drones somewhere. I set the waypoint, activate the autopilot, reach the place, but I see no drones.

30 minutes later I still don't get what I'm supposed to do so I attack a random enemy vessel found roaming an asteroid belt only to find myself into my ship escape pod.

Hopefully the Dust 514 tutorial is better :D

Pride

Eve has provided some pretty interesting headlines over the past years but this title doesn't do anything for me for two reasons:

Art Direction: CCP has an identifiable art style that incorporates very straight lines and high textures that seem cold. This art style just doesnt resonate with me.

CCP Distrust: A few years ago an employee of CCP was accused of providing very rare assets and confidential information to his guild, CCP denied the allegations until a consumer hacked into the system and provided the proof. The consumer who hacked into the system was banned but the employee who did the misdeeds (and whose actions impacted the games economy) was kept on. How long would CCP have denied the allegations and the corruption had gone if they weren't exposed?

TTP said:

After delivering the goods I was supposed to deliver to some orbital station the tutorial asks me to dock to my home station to continue, which I have no idea where it is.

So I undock to search this home station but the tutorial message changes to "dock to any station to continue". So I dock back into the station I was before and the message changes back to "dock to home station".

15 minutes later I was still docking and undocking at various stations so I picked up another mission requesting to destroy some drones somewhere. I set the waypoint, activate the autopilot, reach the place, but I see no drones.

30 minutes later I still don't get what I'm supposed to do so I attack a random enemy vessel found roaming an asteroid belt only to find myself into my ship escape pod.

Really? I thought the tutorials were really easy. Also, never use autopilot. It's much safer to manually warp to your locations.

If you're having trouble, ask for advice in one of the chat channels. Everyone is usually really helpful.

remnant

Banned
TTP said:

I'm not sure what's the deal with the tutorial. I haven't played it in a while(and I never finished. Honestly just doing the first arc is tutorial enough.)

Remember whenever you are doing a mission, click on the left side of the screen where it says journal, click the agent tab and the right-click the mission you are on. You will get a menu with 2 options. Read detail or look at conversation. Read details well give you a little window with the destination you are supposed to warp to/approach under objective. Sometimes a mission has you enter empty space, and when this happens you click on the objective destination again and approach. When you get close enough the mission should start. It sounds like you warped to empty space, but didn't fly to the event.

WHen your done, do the journal>agent tab> right click again, but this time click on conversation, and dock back at the station of whoever gave you a mission.

TheExodu5

Banned
DeathNote said:
I tried EVE a few years ago for 30 minutes and it sucked. Any gameplay vids to show me why it's fun?

EVE is probably the most socially reliant game out there. You can play it by yourself, just doing missions, but that's not going to be particularly exciting. What makes the game unique is how much players affect the universe. Being part of a big corporation is pretty much a necessity to feeling active in the world.

That being said, I'm still flying solo. I have a few friends that have their places, but I'm just familiarizing myself with the game for now. I am unsure of what I want to go from there. I could join a mining corp, play the market, join a pirate corp, joining a warring corp, etc...

I've gotten a lot more comfortable with the interface. One of the biggest things for me was making use of some hotkeys. S + click to warp. D + click to dock. W + click to orbit. Ctrl + click to lock target. etc...

Still, this is the 4th time I try to get into the game. I'm having a much easier time this go around since I have a few friends playing now, which adds some motivation. This isn't a game for everyone.

No45

Any thoughts on whether I should wait for the patch before going for the trial? Seems like now would be a silly time to try it if the game is getting a serious overhaul next week.

soldat7

The more I (excitedly) read about this, the more I wonder if this is exactly the type of thing Bungie is working on. If true, this might steel a little of their thunder, if all works as described.

No45 said:
Any thoughts on whether I should wait for the patch before going for the trial? Seems like now would be a silly time to try it if the game is getting a serious overhaul next week.
They're overhauling the tutorial system through the captain's quarters, so yeah, I would wait.

oktarb

TTP said:

EVE is a great game if you want to learn things and get into deep research. It is by no means a easy game or one that holds your hand at all. the tutorials are weak but do cover some of the basics. Don't feel too trapped by them.

If you want to read volumes on tactics, science and all the various 'trades' then it might be the game for you.

Personally I love the game but have to take breaks because it does demand your attention. The gloves are ff, you will die, you will get robbed, you will make bad choices. You can however always recover, learn a great deal and find great people to fly with.

Nothing is spoon fed, you get back what you put in and hopefully a little bit extra.

DUST will hopefully be a lighter version that allows pilots to take a break and pew pew people.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
shintoki said:
Well, I started to play Eve. Add me, I'm new and vulnerable!
Did you create your account with a Buddy Trial? If not you should delete and have someone send you one, that way if you choose to sub. then the person who invites you sells the PLEX(30 day time card) and splits the money with you, so you end up with 200m ISK.

If anyone else wants to try the game out then just PM me your email and I'll send you a Buddy Trial, and if you sub. you'll get around 200m ISK, which makes things easier when you're new.

For anyone new I'd recommend Dreddit, Goons or EVE University. Dreddit and Goons are obviously only open to people from those communities, but they'll help you out quite a bit and you'll learn much more.

Also someone make an EVE thread already.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, wow. This game is looking to be amazing. When I saw the game in Sony's conference, I was telling to myself: "Why should I be interested in this?". Now I know, and it's amazing. It just seems to be too good to be true. And it's free-to-play? Vita integration?

You freaking take all my money right now.

Aselith

DeathNote said:
I tried EVE a few years ago for 30 minutes and it sucked. Any gameplay vids to show me why it's fun?

It's not really that kind of game so no. People could show you pictures of giant space battle but it would just look like a big blob of ships to you. People could tell you crazy stories about shit people have done but nothing remotely that insane is likely to happen to you because all of it is from the social interactions that EVE allows you.

It's not a game about awesome action videos but immersing you in a vast and singular world where you can do what you want. Pirating is a viable thing and it's not just a meaningless word. You actually take things that are valuable to people against their will. You can become a conqueror taking over people's territory and it's real, it's valuable. You can become a trader and that's important to the economy not just a way to make some gold on the side, there's danger in it and daring can pay off handsomely. Etc. etc. stuff MATTERS (in the world of EVE obviously) most games can't make that claim. It's not for everybody but once you're in you can actually change the world in small and also large ways.

That's not going to show in 30 minutes though and a fair number find the base gameplay boring. I found it more relaxing than anything. It's nice to just lose yourself in a beautiful place and listen to their great soundtrack.

But then I look at raid videos for other games and they seem boring as fuck, I've been on raids and they ARE boring. Just mindlessly following orders while your raid leader yells at you. Some people like that shit though. Got me a purple!

JWong

Banned
The game's learning curve isn't like that anymore. There are tutorials for pretty much everything in the game.
Like what kind of tutorials? I tried the trial after an expansion. Might have been Dominion. It did teach me, but when I was out of the tutorial section, it seemed quite daunting still.

Fjordson

Juan29.zapata said:
Oh, wow. This game is looking to be amazing. When I saw the game in Sony's conference, I was telling to myself: "Why should I be interested in this?". Now I know, and it's amazing. It just seems to be too good to be true. And it's free-to-play? Vita integration?

You freaking take all my money right now.
Seriously. After looking into this a bit more I'm fucking hyped.

JWong said:
Like what kind of tutorials? I tried the trial after an expansion. Might have been Dominion. It did teach me, but when I was out of the tutorial section, it seemed quite daunting still.
There are tutorial agents that you can go through. Not sure when those were placed in the game, but they teach you a lot as to which path you can take.

The game's learning curve isn't like that anymore. There are tutorials for pretty much everything in the game.

Learning curve really is not about the tutorials teaching mechanics, as large part of EVE's learning curve has to be learned through experience

oktarb

Great read on DUST idea's:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-help-hurt-eve-online-players-in-new-ways.ars

"CCP is a company that believes in huge consequences," Fannar said. "That's how you give combat a meaning. We expect some people will be turned off by that, but we want people to have feelings that are real." EVE, while not an immediately accessible game for most, certainly has its fair share of interesting emergent stories. In certain cases, players have spent actual, real-life years infiltrating enemy organizations for the express purpose of imploding its internal economy. Spaceships are destroyed permanently, bank accounts are drained completely, and those affected are left utterly devastated. Dust players stand to lose much as well."

"Fannar explained that soldiers could outright rule over an entire planet, cutting off another corporation's much-needed resources for survival. More important than this, though, is the crossover consequences. EVE players can attack planets from orbit, and Dust players can retaliate in real-time. Console gamers, in a move CCP suspects will be popular with the griefing-obsessed FPS crowd, can also destroy resources EVE players need to harvest. From here, a number of things could happen: those soldiers can move on with their paycheck, pave the way for a hiring EVE corporation to take the territory, or claim an area for themselves."

"To avoid an influx of abusive console gamers, Fannar said CCP is "turning the faucet on slowly so we don't topple what's already in EVE." Dust 514 will permit players to join in small bursts at first, with limited and preferred registration opening up later this year. Existing EVE Online customers and PlayStation Plus subscribers get preferential treatment before everyone else trickles in. After six months of testing the waters, experimenting with orbital artillery battles, and balancing the between-game consequences, Dust will launch for "essentially free."

Yeah, I'm not so sure what they're indicating here. My first guess is that EVE players and PlayStation Plus subscribers will get first dibs on beta access respectively. Unless they mean you need both EVE and PS+, which would be stupid.

BattleMonkey said:
Learning curve really is not about the tutorials teaching mechanics, as large part of EVE's learning curve has to be learned through experience
True. Although most of what I've learned has been through common sense. In order to be effective, you need to be cautious, and you really need to think ahead. EVE reminds me of Demon's Souls in that way. It's the only MMO I know of that caters to the hardcore.

Momo

Banned
To avoid an influx of abusive console gamers, Fannar said CCP is "turning the faucet on slowly so we don't topple what's already in EVE." Dust 514 will permit players to join in small bursts at first, with limited and preferred registration opening up later this year. Existing EVE Online customers and PlayStation Plus subscribers get preferential treatment before everyone else trickles in. After six months of testing the waters, experimenting with orbital artillery battles, and balancing the between-game consequences, Dust will launch for "essentially free."
Now I know when to redeem my free + and reactivate my eve account

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmgb8ERT__c&feature=related

fun

Top Bottom