• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 [PS3/PSVita] (EVE Online FPS/MMO) - Update #2: Art, Info, E3 Trailer, F2P

I want to read more about the overall objective of Dust. It feels like this is the low level operations of the eve universe. Instead of taking planets of the star system you fight for the section of the planet. I guess I just want to know what benefit there is to eve player to have the dust players fight for tiny sections of the huge planets they usually deal with. I don't really know enough about eve I guess. It's about building a corporation and making money but it doesn't seem like Dust players will be trying to accomplish that as well. I'm confused and intrigued lol.

No45

darkwing said:
no, its one big universe
Ikuu said:
Nope, there is just one server.
That's great, thanks. I'll install the trial this weekend and at least if I like it I won't then have to migrate somewhere else to find people.

The game still scares me witless though. D:

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Has this been posted yet?

RPS: When I first heard about the idea of DUST and EVE, I felt like there was a class structure to it. You have your upper-middle class people flying ships, and then they employ the grunts on the surface. Now, that sounds massively appealing to an EVE player, but how do you sell that to a DUST player?

Thomas: It’s actually not quite the case. It’s not a one-way relationship. The way we’ve designed it, and the way we’ve iterated on the design, is that if you have a corporation that’s pure mercenaries, pure DUST players, then sure, an EVE corp can say, “I want you to go over here and destroy this guy’s infrastructure. I’ll pay you this much to do it. And if you don’t do it I’m going to be kind of pissed at you.” But then you can also have that DUST corp load up their war barge, go to any planet, and just attack it themselves. And they can take control of that infrastructure. There’s no difference between the infrastructure being deployed between the games. So a pure DUST corp can come in and just start attacking, or if it’s a virgin planet they can deploy planetary infrastructure themselves. So they’re not slaves. They can be self-sufficient. But unless they cooperate they’ll never get the full benefits, because the orbital constructions and the surface-based constructions, they do literally need to be linked to form a space elevator, to gain the maximum benefits and impact sovereignity, so that encourages players to act together.

More at the link: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/08/interview-ccp-on-dust-514-and-eve/

I love the idea, and if I were to get the game I'd probably go for pure dust corp idea.

ultron87

I just wonder if a pure-Dust corp can set up a planet to such a degree that they have enough ground to orbit defenses to keep their skies clear.

web01

The concept behind this game sounds amazing.

The only worry I have about the game is not the execution but
actually selling enough copies to maintain a large enough community to
make it worthwhile.

ultron87 said:
I just wonder if a pure-Dust corp can set up a planet to such a degree that they have enough ground to orbit defenses to keep their skies clear.
Furthermore, I wonder if Dust mercs can employ EVE capsuleers to protect the skies of the planets they've taken over.

Furthermore, I wonder if Dust mercs can employ EVE capsuleers to protect the skies of the planets they've taken over.
It seems like at that point the two sides will basically be working in a contract. I think that's the idea both sides can operate by themselves but they need each other.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I might try EVE again at some point, maybe during the summer. I liked it, but couldn't get my whole head around it in the week or so that I tried last year.

Think I'll like Dust abit better, just because it's a pick up and pew pew pew game. No Mining!

Does anyone here play EVE enough to know what dedicated players think of this? IT seems like the sovereignty system is going to greatly change, are the player ok with the idea?

The Shift

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
From my short time playing Eve online I noticed they were a bunch of REALLY dedicated players there... so... how many PS3s do you think this is gonna sell?

Pretty much none by the looks of things. Maybe a handful but having observed the discussions over at EVE-O, K.com and Failheap amongst other sites the whole fiasco has really alienated the EVE playerbase. EVE players are notoriously PC Master Race and if not playing EVE get on games like Mount & Blade, BF, HoN, WoT and a few others.

There are quite a lot of noses out of joint about CCP going Sony second party for console games, lots of forum rage and QQ'ing all round. Most of us don't care that it is on consoles, but by being exclusive to Playstation and having no PC version really knocked the wind from the community at large. By the looks of things CCP has signed a multi-generation deal meaning the Dust IP will only be published on Sony hardware from this point on. Sony is basically blocking a PC version of this game in other words :(

Momo

Banned
Sony should put a copy of Dust on EVERY sony published PS3 and Vita game. It would be excellent marketing, plus no one would have to go through the "hassle" of downloading the full client.

Gravijah

The only reason I can think of for not having a PC version is that they didn't want Mouse/KB dominating the pad players.

The Shift said:
Please, do elaborate.
Because they didn't force them to sign anything. The creators are responsible, so if you think the pc version is blocked blame them. Honestly, I kind of like that it's console only only because I think they are targeting two different audiences entirely. EVE has always been a game that I think could only work on pc and I don't think the EVE dedicated players are really a shooter crowd, in the same way I don't think console shooter fan would really be huge into EVE. You will have two groups with separate interests working together, each playing the game geared towards them. I think it's ballsy.

Gvaz

Banned
The only real way I'm playing this is on a PC. I might rent it or something on the PS3 but I'm so bad at controller shooters.

I played eve for like 2 months and even had 50 million isk given and was in a corp but it just wasn't fun. The idea was neat though.

FredFish

If the gameplay is decent I could see myself picking this up. Would love to help Minmatar liberate slave systems from the vile Amarr...

Also wonder if this means the World of Darkness mmo CCP is working on for White Wolf will come to PS3

Jhriad

The Shift said:
Sony is basically blocking a PC version of this game in other words :(

It's more like Xbox Live policies and the requirement of an Xbox Live subscription kept it off Xbox. Sony isn't blocking anything. CCP has long said this would be a console game. They need to tap into the vast console market and a persistent shooter is a great way to do it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I never realized EVE was so complex. I always thought it was a game that featured a bunch of ships just blasting each other in space.

The Shift

Banned
Momo said:
Sony should put a copy of Dust on EVERY sony published PS3 and Vita game. It would be excellent marketing, plus no one would have to go through the "hassle" of downloading the full client.

Part of the difficulty of publishing on xbox Live is the file size restrictions for titles sold through that service. Dust will be quite a large download, possibly as large as MAG. If I remember correctly xbla has a 2GB size limit for all titles currently.

Sethos

Banned
IPoopStandingUp said:
I never realized EVE was so complex. I always thought it was a game that featured a bunch of ships just blasting each other in space.

Einstein would sit down, play for 30 minutes and say "Fuck this shit" due to its complexity.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
IPoopStandingUp said:

Just load up a video of a massive space battle. GUI all over the damn screen! Which buttons do I hit now?!?

Momo

Banned
The Shift said:
Part of the difficulty of publishing on xbox Live is the file size restrictions for titles sold through that service. Dust will be quite a large download, possibly as large as MAG. If I remember correctly xbla has a 2GB size limit for all titles currently.
Thats MS's own fault. lol Arcade units

JWong

Banned
Lonestar said:
Just load up a video of a massive space battle. GUI all over the damn screen! Which buttons do I hit now?!?
The bailout button.

I'm probably going to play when Incarna comes out so I can make a sexy lady to look at.

darkwing

IPoopStandingUp said:

hence Dust 514 for console gamers, we just want to shoot ;)

The Shift

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Because they didn't force them to sign anything.

This is currently unknown, and by the way I would find it outlandish that any corporation would 'force' another to sign anything. All evidence thus far points to a CCP going Sony second party status by their own volition. The discussion right now is about what/how much funding Sony has forked over to keep this exclusive to PS3/PSV/PS Home and the next gen of Sony consoles which has already been alluded to by CCP themselves. Another point that many Playstation user's seem to obliviously miss is that the community doesn't care about xbox live being too restrictive. That ignores the main point of conflict over this whole thing - no PC version.

Gvaz said:
The only real way I'm playing this is on a PC. I might rent it or something on the PS3 but I'm so bad at controller shooters.

I played eve for like 2 months and even had 50 million isk given and was in a corp but it just wasn't fun. The idea was neat though.
Downloadable only.

IPoopStandingUp said:
In my opinion, EVE is the closest thing we have to a spacefaring civilization within our attainable future.

remnant

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Does anyone here play EVE enough to know what dedicated players think of this? IT seems like the sovereignty system is going to greatly change, are the player ok with the idea?
They bitch now but really when Dust comes out no one will be upset. Dust has been the most exciting development in the community for years.

I got some spare ISK given to me by friends every time I tried to start, I would be willing to donate a bit.
Heh well see what happens.

Momo said:
Also totally free
Well, there's the initial purchase charge, but that gets exchanged for ISK. The game pays for itself immediately, which is nice!

As for funding, I'll be training in Planetary Interaction very soon. It's the career I've chosen for my current character. From what I hear, it's pretty lucrative, so if anyone else wants to put some effort forth, that would be great.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
BobTheFork said:
I've been to EVE forums and Facebook etc, and most of them hate that this is exclusive to PS3. Most even say that they hate CCP for that and are going to quit EVE online, not before they grief the hell out of PS3 dust users though so they'd stop playing which would result in the game bombing on PS3 and CCP would be forced to release it on PC... That's why I'm a bit worried about this game. I don't want crazy EVE players griefing me, hiring dust players and once we've got the planet for them what's to stop them from bombing us from the sky so they won't have to pay?

I dunno why though, PC players always knew this was only coming to the consoles. I guess most EVE online players are Xbox 360 owners.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
They also talked about it a bit on last night's GiantBomb at the end. I was like damn, that sounds pretty complicated and amazing if they pull it off right.

The Shift

Banned
lol this talk of ISK in the millions, you're fucking kidding me right?? - you are going to need ISK in the billions to even be relevant in the bigger picture playing Dust514, you know, those big EVE stories people fap on about. Fuck, personally I have about 12 billion in assets and around 30 billion in ISK currently. Wealth like that doesn't happen overnight, you need possibly years to get to meager earnings like mine.

The alliances that matter have isk in the trillions for reference.

Sethos

Banned
The Shift said:
lol this talk of ISK in the millions, you're fucking kidding me right?? - you are going to need ISK in the billions to even be relevant in the bigger picture playing Dust514, you know, those big EVE stories people fap on about. Fuck, personally I have about 12 billion in assets and around 30 billion in ISK currently. Wealth like that doesn't happen overnight, you need possibly years to get to meager earnings like mine.

It'll obviously be balanced, you can easily seed a battlefield with a few million ISK. There's probably a limit on what you can spend per match etc. Obviously having tons of ISK will be an advantage but I'm sure CCP will balance it as they also know it might bring in more players.

AmFreak

The Shift said:
That ignores the main point of conflict over this whole thing - no PC version.

I think it's because a pc version would destroy the console version. If it's all in the same universe a console player would have to play against pc players. Cause of the insurmountable advantage pc players have (aka mouse) no one would want to play the console version.

The Shift said:

Come on, 12kk ISK it's like 2 hours of missions in med-secs. For advanced players - it's even faster.

Momo

Banned
AmFreak said:
I think it's because a pc version would destroy the console version. If it's all in the same universe a console player would have to play against pc players. Cause of the insurmountable advantage pc players have (aka mouse) no one would want to play the console version.
Except for the same pain loving fools that played Dreamcast UT :(

Me :(

Sethos

Banned
LeoStenbuck said:
I probably missed something, but what will stop established Eve corporations, from dominating newly formed Dust corps?

Developer balance and restrictions.

Will give CCP the benefit of the doubt.

Top Bottom