• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 [PS3/PSVita] (EVE Online FPS/MMO) - Update #2: Art, Info, E3 Trailer, F2P

The Shift

Banned
Inanna said:
I've been to EVE forums and Facebook etc, and most of them hate that this is exclusive to PS3. Most even say that they hate CCP for that and are going to quit EVE online, not before they grief the hell out of PS3 dust users though so they'd stop playing which would result in the game bombing on PS3 and CCP would be forced to release it on PC... That's why I'm a bit worried about this game. I don't want crazy EVE players griefing me, hiring dust players and once we've got the planet for them what's to stop them from bombing us from the sky so they won't have to pay?

I dunno why though, PC players always knew this was only coming to the consoles. I guess most EVE online players are Xbox 360 owners.

Oh yes - and besides the ingame griefing there is the Meta game which is the EVE communities forte. Like DDOS attacks, account hacking and more. Goons, PL amongst others have already griefed large swathes of the EVE playerbase out of the game, the Dust players are going to be fresh meat for the grinder.

Darkarium

Neo Member
LeoStenbuck said:
I probably missed something, but what will stop established Eve corporations, from dominating newly formed Dust corps?
I think the general idea is that both sides will need each other. For example, a large EVE alliance will need a presence in the DUST world to strike at enemy alliances planetary instalments. It will be like an arms race of hiring DUST mercenaries to gain the upper hand. And a DUST corp will need the funding of a large EVE alliance.

JWong

Banned
LeoStenbuck said:
I probably missed something, but what will stop established Eve corporations, from dominating newly formed Dust corps?
I thought the point of it is that they will dominate the Dust scene.

Everyone who plays Dust is pretty much a mercenary for hire. Since it's an FPS, skills can turn the tide.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Downloadable only.

In my opinion, EVE is the closest thing we have to a spacefaring civilization within our attainable future.

If by civilization you mean large groups of assholes sabotaging each other than yes.

ultron87

HK-47 said:
If by civilization you mean large groups of assholes sabotaging each other than yes.

Don't forget that all the sabotage is in the pursuit of either money, territory, or power. So yeah, civilization.

The Shift

Banned
The_Player said:
Come on, 12kk ISK it's like 2 hours of missions in med-secs. For advanced players - it's even faster.

For a Dust player? That's possibly game breaking if such leg-ups going to that group. It would be a slap in the face for the EVE players that have spent years amassing wealth and assets if these guys can just roll in and have the equivalent of billions of ISK from the go and start influencing or taking sov.

darkwing

just accept the fact that we are fighting peons for EVE players, i love being a merc for hire taking over some planet for some corp, it doesn't matter which corp

The Shift

Banned
darkwing said:
just accept the fact that we are fighting peons for EVE players

heh, well just accept that tens of thousands of EVE pilots are going to set about griefing you guys from the game, which by the way is and has always been the real EVE endgame.

I think that most people here don't actually 'get' EVE. But you know, unicorns and lollipops ;)

darkwing

The Shift said:
heh, well just accept that tens of thousands of EVE pilots are going to set about griefing you guys from the game, which by the way is and has always been the real EVE endgame.

I think that most people here don't actually 'get' EVE. But you know, unicorns and lollipops ;)

lol tell me about it, been playing EVE on/off since 2006, but that is part of the fun anyways

The Shift said:
For a Dust player? That's possibly game breaking if such leg-ups going to that group. It would be a slap in the face for the EVE players that have spent years amassing wealth and assets if these guys can just roll in and have the equivalent of billions of ISK from the go and start influencing or taking sov.
Nope, for capsuleer. Don't know about the Dust's rates.

Jhriad

The Shift said:
The discussion right now is about what/how much funding Sony has forked over to keep this exclusive to PS3/PSV/PS Home and the next gen of Sony consoles which has already been alluded to by CCP themselves.

They probably didn't fork over much if any at all for exclusivity. More likely is a commitment from Sony for cross promotional marketing support. There are a multitude of reasons why Sony is better for this game than the Xbox platform would've been.

The Shift said:
no PC version.

Again, CCP has said pretty much from the beginning that this would be a console game. If you thought that it was coming to PC "at some point" you were deluding yourself. CCP isn't about to force gamepad users to fight keyboard & mouse users. Add in the fact that there won't be any competition in the console market compared to the PC market, CCPs need to hit the vast console consumer market, and the bonuses of getting marketing support from platform holders it's an obvious move.

Jhriad

The Shift said:
you need possibly years to get to meager earnings like mine

Hardly. My main character was nearing the trillion mark like 3 years ago when I stopped playing. It's easy as heck to make "billions" in EVE.

LeoStenbuck said:

Nothing at all. The established power structures in EVE are so wealthy and well entrenched that any Dust group looking to make a splash and actually have a large impact needs to check that hubris at the door. Start small, establish your lodgements & financing and work out from there. You won't take giant swathes of land/space for long against the massive resources of the big alliances. I'd be surprised if you couldn't take individual systems with a healthy, skilled corp though (provided you aren't trying to take a system with too many planets that is).

Momo

Banned
Jhriad said:
Hardly. My main character was nearing the trillion mark like 3 years ago when I stopped playing. It's easy as heck to make "billions" in EVE.
you need to reactivate that account and fund some GAF lols

The Shift

Banned
Jhriad said:

I don't do any industry/market so trillions are way out of reach for me. I have a low/high sec exploration/mission alt that does the ISK extraction. It pays for my main's roaming and piracy habits and monthly PLEX.

Oh - btw, while you're away can I at least 'lend' your stuff :)

rObit

Banned
I'm also thinking that they wouldn't put Dust on PC because they don't want to split their PC player base. I mean, from the outside looking in, it has always seemed like EVE had a fairly small, yet really strong community. Splitting that up into two separate games might empty out the galaxy in EVE quite a bit. I know they're two very different games, but I think that a lot of people would still be curious and want to try out Dust.

I don't now if it's been confirmed true or false yet, but I really hope the PSVita version is the full version of the game that's on the PS3. I'd like nothing more than to play that game on Vita and be on vent with my friends that play EVE.

Jhriad

The Shift said:
I don't do any industry/market so trillions are way out of reach for me. I have a low/high sec exploration/mission alt that does the ISK extraction. It pays for my main's roaming and piracy habits and monthly PLEX.

Oh - btw, while you're away can I at least 'lend' your stuff :)

Haha it has been a LOOOONG time since I played so I don't remember how much of that is in ISK and how much is in assets. In the event that a GAF Dust corp gets started or I start my own Dust corp (probably reviving my old Planetside outfit for the purpose) I'll share the wealth to a degree. :)

EDIT: Just remembered I had one of those 5 days free reactivation things in my email. Gonna try to remember what password I had and reactivate for a few days.

The Shift

Banned
The_Player said:
Nope, for capsuleer. Don't know about the Dust's rates.

This worries me, what do they mean by 'everyone will be starting over from scratch'?

That’s where Dust 514, a new first person shooter for the PlayStation 3 from CCP Games, comes in. It’s a game that appeals to more casual gamers, but still takes place in the EVE Online universe. Dust 514 players interact with those EVE Online players on a regular basis. And everyone is starting from scratch, instead of being dropped into a universe where players have already had 8 years to establish themselves.

“Dust is gonna make this crystal clear, everyone is starting over and Dust is a ground zero,” said Halldor Fannar, CCP Games’ chief technology officer.

CCP should be careful not to mince words.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/06/08/dust-514-e3-mmo/

Jhriad

I think he just meant that it'll be making the EVE experience an entirely new one. So in that sense everyone will be "starting from scratch" as they relearn the ropes in this new EVE/Dust universe.

About to log into EVE. God I hope I didn't log out in some 0.0 space or something.

EDIT: New character customization is pretty sexy.

JWong

Banned
Jhriad said:
Please teach me.

I think I'll be jumping in when Incarna starts.

The Shift said:
This worries me, what do they mean by 'everyone will be starting over from scratch'?
Ermmm, may be that capsuleers can't be mercenaries on the field? Space for those who can fly, planets - for the rest of us.

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
I haven't played for a year, do inactive characters still learn skills?
Only for 5 days, as far as I remember. Also, they removed Learning skills, so you've got spare skill points which can be spent on whatever you need.

The Shift

Banned
The_Player said:
Only for 5 days, as far as I remember. Also, they removed Learning skills, so you've got spare skill points which can be spent on whatever you need.

And some social skills as got the axe just recently. Agents have been redefined as well as the standings system for them.

The Shift

Banned
Momo said:
Perhaps another new currency will be introduced that can be obtainable via EVE and DUST?

It's called Aurum. Like PLEX it is to be used for RMT or real money transaction credits. I'm rough on the way the implementation works but as far as I know you can buy PLEX and convert it into Aurum. AUR is used to buy vanity items in Incarna. It might be used in Dust but haven't really paid too much attention to that part of that games details.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I can never seem to make much in EVE, I get around 2bn at most and then end up spending it. Got an alt that I'm training into a Tengu and then I'll run Incursions with my main and I should be good. But I'll probably just waste all my ISK on Cynabals and T3. Also someone should make an EVE thread.

Removing Learning Skills was a brilliant move and should really have happened ages ago, used that along with the 2remaps to get my alt from like 75days to 45days to a Tengu.

Momo

Banned
The Shift said:
It's called Aurum. Like PLEX it is to be used for RMT or real money transaction credits. I'm rough on the way the implementation works but as far as I know you can buy PLEX and convert it into Aurum. AUR is used to buy vanity items in Incarna. It might be used in Dust but haven't really paid too much attention to that part of that games details.
I meant to say, a totally fresh currency, never before seen. so everyone technically starts at "0". This currency can be used in DUST for equips/stuff, and in EVE to convert into Aurum.

The Shift said:
Pretty sure they'll stick with the ingame currency ISK for this. Aurum is meant to be used for RMT type of things.

No45

The Shift said:
Oh yes - and besides the ingame griefing there is the Meta game which is the EVE communities forte. Like DDOS attacks, account hacking and more. Goons, PL amongst others have already griefed large swathes of the EVE playerbase out of the game, the Dust players are going to be fresh meat for the grinder.
Yeah, this isn't helping me build confidence to start the trial... :p

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You should give it a shot, I can make a 21day trial for you if you like. And if you sub then I'll split the Plex with you (works out to be around 200m ISK).

The Shift

Banned
Momo said:
I meant to say, a totally fresh currency, never before seen. so everyone technically starts at "0". This currency can be used in DUST for equips/stuff, and in EVE to convert into Aurum.

Just read a little snip of info about this. As a Dustbunny you can make ISK ingame, how you actually make that ISK is still a bit of a grey area. With your PSN attached credit card you can buy Aurum credits that you can use to buy ingame items or convert into ISK.

Momo

Banned
StuBurns said:
That's pretty damn awesome.

I apologize if it's mentioned in the OP, I did check but I didn't see it. Pretty substantial OP already.
Also

In a departure from the traditional subscription or one-time purchase model, DUST 514 will be supported by revenues from the in-game sale of virtual goods, allowing players to purchase advanced weaponry, battle gear and vehicles using both earned virtual currency and real money from their PlayStation wallet.
sounds F2P to me

StuBurns

Banned
darkwing said:
yup its F2P but you have to buy the game first
Well I have a hard and fast rule of no micro transactions, but if it's F2P, and on PSN, there's almost no way I'm not buying this. Very cool.

Baha

My brother plays Eve and has a lot of ISK, maybe I'll give this game a shot. I really like the premise and hope the execution holds up.

StuBurns

Banned
darkwing said:
its because the payment you give to download the game from the PSN is converted into game money?
Which is genius really, it'll get people used to using the micro transaction model with the initial 'free' money.

Top Bottom