• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 [PS3/PSVita] (EVE Online FPS/MMO) - Update #2: Art, Info, E3 Trailer, F2P

D2M15 said:
Or '514 - Internal Server Error'.
I love it! Use this one.

The_Player said:
It can't be true. As far as I remember clone technology only works with capsulers, not ordinary people. Rather, it works with them, but reliability is very-very low, because of high requirements of using transneuron scanner on the field. Or did they invented mind transfer bypassing it? And I'm skipping the part that it's very expensive to have such amounts of clones, that'll be enough to win the battle.
Check out the art on the Dust 514 tab. (CCP Games)

Maybe mercenary clones are remotely operated?

KKRT00

New GT interview
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-dust-514/715865

Game will be basically F2P, but You will have to buy it first from PSN, in exchange You'll get ISK for in-game items.

Its a shame that this game will probably fail on consoles**, because it brings really many innovations and could change multiplayer in FPS genre. Guy from CCP is right, almost every today's FPS doesnt have any goals, just highscore rankings.

** if so they'll probably release PC version, so not that bad for gamers :p

darkwing

well think of MAG for example, and this is way better, i wouldn't mind paying for the game copy, then F2P all the way

Another GameTrailers video that goes into the mechanics of the game. (Link)

WOW. They show the fitting menu in that video.

EDIT: Fitting picture added.

Fq3co.png

(Added to OP.)

Skill training as well. This is pretty much EVE on ground. Excellent.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Forgot about this one. I'm interested. Love the EVE Universe, but I'm just not patient enough for the MMO.

Vinci

Danish

Fq3co.png

(Added to OP.)

Well that looks familiar! =)

From my short time playing Eve online I noticed they were a bunch of REALLY dedicated players there... so... how many PS3s do you think this is gonna sell?

Fq3co.png

(Added to OP.)

Shhiiiitttt

Curious about skill training though..don't think FPS fans have the patience for that sort of thing.

JWong

Banned
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Shhiiiitttt

Curious about skill training though..don't think FPS fans have the patience for that sort of thing.
You mean like those Halo Reach players who spend months of gaming just to get a new helmet?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Shhiiiitttt

Skill training is the best thing about EVE, a few years back you could train stuff on inactive accounts and it was awesome. Assuming it's like EVE you'll be able to able to train into something useful pretty quickly.

Man said:
I don't think whatever's on Vita is the actual game?
Most likely some managing features. Sorry if the title is misleading. CCP hasn't disclosed exactly what role the Vita will play. :\

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Shhiiiitttt

Note the "REQUIRES MINMATAR ARMY ACHIEVEMENT!" in that shot. I wonder if the skill training will be achievement based? I won't mind at all if it's like EVE's training, because all you have to do is wait. It gives me time to play other games. :)

Note the "REQUIRES MINMATAR ARMY ACHIEVEMENT!" in that shot. I wonder if the skill training will be achievement based? I won't mind at all if it's like EVE's training, because all you have to do is wait. It gives me time to play other games. :)
That would be a pretty neat idea, if you have to play the game and earn certain achievements to keep training skills that ensures that you'll be playing the game every now and then and can't just sit back to max everything out. As there won't be a monthly fee (pay to train) that's a pretty elegant solution I think.

Danne-Danger said:
That would be a pretty neat idea, if you have to play the game and earn certain achievements to keep training skills that ensures that you'll be playing the game every now and then and can't just sit back to max everything out. As there won't be a monthly fee (pay to train) that's a pretty elegant solution I think.

I'd prefer a combination of the two. Achievements are good for either a percentage of time for a certain skill or a flat rate of X amount of hours depending on how difficult the achievement is.

Zen

Banned
I've been reading some comments on Eve related forums voicing concerns over how the PS3 players won't necessarily give a crap about what's going on in EVE proper. To me that's almost perfect, though, since the prevalent attitude of the DUST player base would directly correlate to the role they're playing, that being mercenaries. I'm sure that corporation biased factions etc will pop up over time as well, but thinking about how the Dust player base will so fill their role within the universe just feels so right.

Zen said:
I've been reading some comments on Eve related forums voicing concerns over how the PS3 players won't necessarily give a crap about what's going on in EVE proper. To me that's almost perfect, though, since the prevalent attitude of the DUST player base would directly correlate to the role they're playing, that being mercenaries. I'm sure that corporation biased factions etc will pop up over time as well, but thinking about how the Dust player base will so fill their role within the universe just feels so right.

Indeed.

"I'm a soldier of fortune, I'm a dog of war
And we don't give a damn who the killing is for."

Chris_C

Definitely interested in this. I just hope they add a touch more color to the game, Eve is the most gorgeous space game out there, but right now Dust looks... aggressively grey.

Dizzy-4U

Kosh said:
Farrer told me that while playing EVE Online on the server where DUST was being tested, he saw some activity on a planet as he was flying by it in space. He got close to the planet and looked close, and he see the combat raging below, and got a sudden message in his chat box: “Hello!” It was the Dust player on the surface of the planet who had seen his ship above him in the sky and sent a message of greeting. Let me state that in simple terms: a PC EVE Online player flying a space ship could see and communicate with a PS3 player shooting on the ground of the planet.
That's amazing!

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Does GAF have a Eve thread or even a corp?
C'mon, let's do this! I'm so lonely in space :(

Top Bottom