• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 [PS3/PSVita] (EVE Online FPS/MMO) - Update #2: Art, Info, E3 Trailer, F2P

well I think 300m+ isk is the going rate for PLEX nowadays?

It's at around 480mil right now. Some major inflation since ~9 months ago when I first started playing. It was around 300mil then.

Yea it has a steep learning curve but it has a great community and once you get to know how to play its a blast.

It's hard to say if EVE has a great community when scams and ruthless PvP are allowed, if not the norm. :D

This really makes it a shame that this FPS is only on PS3.
All they said is the game is launching exclusively on PS3, but they never said it will be a PS3 exclusive. I'd bet my bottom dollar they eventually release it on PC too.

In fact,
http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/08/dust-514-may-come-to-pc-after-all/
CCP’s Hilmar Pétursson mentioned that the PlayStation 3 version already supports mouse and keyboard controls.

“I wonder why we did that,” he hinted, refusing to rule out the possibility of a PC release.

Don't get your hopes up for any 360 version though.

SRTtoZ

It's at around 480mil right now. Some major inflation since ~9 months ago when I first started playing. It was around 300mil then.

It's hard to say if EVE has a great community when scams and ruthless PvP are allowed, if not the norm. :D

Ruthless PVP and Scams are some of the greastest parts of the game, which is what made Ultima Online (before EA bought it) such an amazing experience. I love the feeling of anything can happen when your lost in space.

Zen

Banned
Seeing as there will be no 360 version, they need to have a PC version. It would make no sense to have it just releasing on the PS3 marketshare.

They had a stream up that ended recently discussing how they're handling the number of playable locations. As a disclaimer I'm simply pulling this from memory and I may accidentally say something that is incorrect. Basically, if I'm regurgitating this correctly, they're only launching with the temperate planets in EVE playable in Dust which makes it about 7,000 planets. Each planet will also have multiple districts. So tons of places to battle.

Of course this means there's some algorithm behind it all. They have some tool to scan the planets (created with a separate terrain tool) to find suitable regions that make sense for an FPS. Then they can alter the appearance of the terrain, make it lush and green, brown, snowy, whatever to make it match that planet in EVE. A few other tools also are used to make even similar geography appear different. Then they place sockets around the region in which case they can place various structures, from large urban outposts to smaller ones, meaning the urban areas across planets may appear similar but there will still be plenty variety.

This is all just for the launch of Dust, but in the future they plan on adding in a lot more planets like the gas planets in cloud cities, oceanic planets with cities seeded at the ocean floor, and even potentially boarding the ships of EVE players and battling there. They also said something about adding more detail like eventually altering gravity to reflect the planet's size, though that's something I'm not too sure is a good idea.

Dust allows players to create their own guns/vehicles/equipment and sell them for real money
http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...s-players-build-and-sell-guns-for-real-money/
When I asked him if that meant Dust players making their own guns he replied, "Yes. It's awesome. Imagine picking up loot on a planet and selling it on the secondary market place. Someone who buys it is using that as a component in research of new blueprints that he can sell to players. He's effectively made a better weapon or a better vehicle that he can sell to players."

KKRT00

Ok, we have new info just from current keynote from Fanfest about Dust 514.

- There will be PVE content: big battles with drones and horde mode called survival mode
- There will be Gladiator Arena [in expansion 2013] that will focus on Esport aspect that will cover deathmatches, TDM and CTF and You will be able to watch and bet matches in both EVE and DUST
- There will be mechs ala Killzone style [also expansion 2013]
- There will be exploration and fight on planets cover by thick gas or lava, where You will have to use vehicles for movement and there will be exploration [expansion 2013
- There will be was over resources, over Factional Warfare and planet control

A little more info given out today fanfest. (Edit: Ok should of figured I'd be late. Was about to post this then kept the tab open for a long time because they kept showing more cool stuff on the stream)

1. The Vita isn't getting Dust 514 right now, but rather "Dust 514: Neocomp" or something like that. Basically a management app. They are exploring the possibilities of a full on Vita version with cross play.
  2. There will be a PVE mode (i.e. singleplayer, co-op). It'll act much like a horde mode. You'll have to defend bases against waves of ai, only the ai won't be human models, they will be rogue drones from EVE. They had a picture but I didn't capture it, but just think large robot ship things, it looked pretty sweet. This will be avaiable in 2012.
  3. There will also be a gladiator arena mode that will support modes such as Capture the Flag, Deathmatch, etc. that won't have a direct impact on the combined EVE and Dust world but would be more for pure entertainment. Dust and EVE players will also be able to spectate and bet on these matches. This will be available in an expansion in early 2013.
  4. As already mentioned, when the game launches it will only be the thousands of temperate planets in EVE, but they are also working on non-temperate planet like the gas planets and lava planets and such that would possibly require vehicles to help navigate. Here is a quick glimpse they gave us, keep in mind it's still not fully developed yet and I was watching the low quality stream. This will be available in an expansion in early 2013.

dust.png

ALSO THERE IS A NEW KICK-ASS CINEMATIC TRAILER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI53...DvjVQa1PpcFOEzQi5G2x0m1-RNf4_2zPI7cvjhbO1mlI=

Touches a bit on the respawning. If you didn't know, respawning in Dust 514 isn't like most shooters where it's just there for gameplay, they actually woven it into their universe to make it make sense. Basically they discovered technology to transfer your conscience at the moment of death, so they made tons of clones of their soldiers and applied this tech to make you immortal (so long as you have a ready clone or other willing body to occupy).

By the way, a lot of the stuff that's been getting posted here the past few days by peeps seems new thread-worthy, no?

Afrikan

All this new info.....I.........I don't know if I'll ever need to play any other game :/

Besides sports games....but I can see myself totally lost in the world.

All this new info.....I.........I don't know if I'll ever need to play any other game :/

Besides sports games....but I can see myself totally lost in the world.
I have this same feeling. I know very little about EVE but I watched a lot of the EVE Fanfest this year because I knew they'd devle into DUST 514 which had me really intrigued for awhile now. The fact that EVE has been out for 9 years now and is the only game to constantly increase it's player base on an annual basis over that period is shocking to me, I had no clue. These developers know what they are doing. If DUST 514 can take over my FPS needs for 9 years that'd be awesome!

Not to say I wouldn't play other games though, who ever only plays one game?

All this is going to have me resub.... again! Really do love EVE, but always quit at some point because I feel like I cant contribute enough time to it.

Wonder when they plan on actually releasing this. They detailed their beta roll out plan and are scheduled to dramatically open up the beta access in June.

Official PlayStation Magazine UK got details on how the micro-transactions are going to work.
http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...-hell-does-it-work-1-the-money-and-the-power/

To summarize, every single item in the game is "free." You unlock these items by spending in-game currency which you earn like in most shooters. However, if you want a shortcut you can go to the PS Store and spend $20 on a bunch of in-game credit (not sure if they'll offer cheaper options, but I imagine they'll have plenty of options that give you a better credit per dollar ratio the more you spend at once).

Sure hope this works, sounds a little iffy for me. I'd hate to see this game collapse.

Elsewhere, here is a concept shot of the drones you'll be facing in the PVE co-op horde mode (again bad quality from the stream)

dustpve-600x375.jpg

And we all love mechs. The MTAC's will be available in the 2013 expansion.
mtracs-610x355.jpg

Island

If anyone wants to try EVE I can send a 21 day trial.

(It's also on Steam really cheap right now and some of those 75% coupons are floating around so you can get the game for less then 2 bucks)

I would prefer the trial though cuz it gives me sweet sweet ISK

Dust allows players to create their own guns/vehicles/equipment and sell them for real money
http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...s-players-build-and-sell-guns-for-real-money/

Damn, imagine - unique loot on planets, sell to "highest bidder" in EVE, EVE player then markets the finished, custom guns in his storefront...

I'd love to see something like that. But all this information on DUST this weekend has me completely intrigued, didn't expect it to be so enticing.

params7

Banned
Only thing I'm worried about is the balance between dualshock 3 and keyboard/mouse.
DS3 should have some auto aim and mouse shouldn't.

CzarTim

Only thing I'm worried about is the balance between dualshock 3 and keyboard/mouse.
DS3 should have some auto aim and mouse shouldn't.

They should do what Counter-Strike is doing. Rank people by skill and let the algorithm take care of it.

darkwing

DUST 514 is an MMOFPS and, therefore, it has a wide array of customisation options and character-levelling opportunities – so many, it was claimed, that it could take players up to seven years to fully level up their characters, and that vehicles are “deeper than most characters in other games.”

o_O

injurai

Banned
Is this actually coming out for Vita, or is the vita version going to be some meta social frontend for the game. Cause I have heard both rumors.

In some of the leaked footage I've seen, the framerate is all over the place and there is some screen tearing. Hopefully those get fixed before the beta opens up even more.

woolley

Didn't see this posted anywhere yet but anyone can now register to get key into the closed beta. Just have to click the red button in the upper right corner and give your email.
http://www.dust514.com/en/home/

Doesn't give any info on when you could expect to be contacted if you do get chosen though.

Didn't see this posted anywhere yet but anyone can now register to get key into the closed beta. Just have to click the red button in the upper right corner and give your email.
http://www.dust514.com/en/home/

Doesn't give any info on when you could expect to be contacted if you do get chosen though.

Yeah I was surprised it wasn't posted. Registered - super excited to finally get my hands on it at some point.. I'm dying to see how fleshed out the entire experience is. I really hope they expand on the whole armor/weapons/vehicles/ships system so you can truly customize and build your own character/army.

Top Bottom