• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

legbone

Just got online... reviews day! Not bad so far.

congrats Noogy! Great to see a gaffer do well. Can't wait to play this Wednesday. Got my space bucks all ready to go. Hope to see more great work from you in the future. Now, how about a Blackthorne clone? Just wishful thinking. Congrats again.

Just got online... reviews day! Not bad so far.

What's it like having people collectively judge your game after spending years making it? If I were you, I would have set my alarm and done nothing but f5 the hell out of the internet, then gotten super mad at factual inaccuracies.

Hopefully you're a better person than I am. :)

Noogy

What's it like having people collectively judge your game after spending years making it? If I were you, I would have set my alarm and done nothing but f5 the hell out of the internet, then gotten super mad at factual inaccuracies.

Hopefully you're a better person than I am. :)

Hah, I would have, but was up late dealing with review codes, had 4 hours sleep, and it was off to the pediatrician for family stuff. If I weren't so dead tired I'd probably be enjoying this ;) It's very surreal to have others judging it and generally liking it.

Noogy

B from 1up, but some of the worst spoilers yet!

Yeah, a little disappointed by all the spoilers I'm seeing, though in some ways those get potential fence-sitters a little more excited. My advice, if you know you want the game, avoid reviews, good or bad, and experience it on your own.

legbone

i'm on total blackout. not reading a single review. i've only watched the launch trailer and a really old gameplay video that was making the rounds months ago. those are the only two times i've seen the game in motion. i want to experience this with fresh eyes.

zulux21

Hah, I would have, but was up late dealing with review codes, had 4 hours sleep, and it was off to the pediatrician for family stuff. If I weren't so dead tired I'd probably be enjoying this ;) It's very surreal to have others judging it and generally liking it.

*looks at the review scores* I don't think I would say they are generally liking it.... I would more say they are generally LOVING it :p

you are currently sitting at a 8.73/10 when you average the reviews in the op, which would be an 87 on metacritic.... which is just amazing given you did most of the work yourself.

Noogy

i'm on total blackout. not reading a single review. i've only watched the launch trailer and a really old gameplay video that was making the rounds months ago. those are the only two times i've seen the game in motion. i want to experience this with fresh eyes.

Good call. Even the live streams I did with PlayXBLA spoiled more that I would like, and I did a commentary thing for IGN which I believe went up today that sort of does the same thing.

Personally I wish I could play it with fresh eyes, it's the sort of stuff I love to experience in a game.

I'll be doing a post mortem soon, and again, I urge everyone to avoid it until after playing the game. I don't want to downright spoil anything, but there are some interesting stories to be told.

-GJ-

I have 97%/98% on The Sorrowing Meadow and I collected all the collectibles and I've checked every corner of every screen and I still can't find the last collectible I'm missing :/... I already found [MASSIVE SPOILER]
The Dishwasher hidden somewhere
but I just don't know what I'm missing and where it is...

It's driving me nuts.

urN4T.gif

Noogy

I have 97%/98% on The Sorrowing Meadow and I collected all the collectibles and I've checked every corner of every screen and I still can't find the last collectible I'm missing :/... I already found [MASSIVE SPOILER]
The Dishwasher hidden somewhere
but I just don't know what I'm missing and where it is...

It's driving me nuts.

urN4T.gif

Read your notes :)

-GJ-

Read your notes :)

I did. All of them, but none of them seem to help me, haha. I'll go after the rest of the collectibles I'm missing first, maybe that will help me..

edit: I think I just found out what I have to do and where.

edit: @Noogy Clever. Very clever, haha.

Zeth

I enjoyed the latest trailer but I'm trying to save myself for the actual game otherwise. I know that in person, the animation will be astounding, and you can't capture that in a YouTube video.

legbone

I enjoyed the latest trailer but I'm trying to save myself for the actual game otherwise. I know that in person, the animation will be astounding, and you can't capture that in a YouTube video.

you can't really capture the 60fps goodness either.

I would never have expected massive spoilers in this game and now I'm scared to read any review thanks to this thread. :)

augh two more days

Darkgran

I'm actually putting Darksiders 2 on hold to play this....And Darksiders 2 is one of my most anticipated games this year.

Noogy

Yeah, the youtube is pretty bad. Toy did add a link for the hi-quality downloadable version in the OT if you're interested. MUCH better.

KageMaru

I haven't seen a video for this game since the first one appeared on the net a couple (maybe three?) years ago. Well I just watched the launch trailer and wow, I cannot wait for this game. Not reading the reviews, but I'm happy it's scoring great.

Congrats Noogy, I hope this is a huge success for you guys.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One thing I'm surprised by is the game's relatively small file size (just under 600 megs) for the amount of art it seems to have, along with voice acting too.

Are there any interesting techniques going on for compressing the bitmap components of the art to save space? Was file size on the HDD (not in system ram) a consideration when creating assets and art?

-GJ-

Noogy, any help with
The Cliff
? I believe I am
standing on the highest point for 10 minutes now and no one shows up. I've been standing where those rocks fell down so the path is blocked (which is what I believe the highest peak in the game), and I've also stood still in the town for about 10 minutes and nothing happens.
It's the same thing all over again. 89%/91%. Some of these collectables are hidden very well, haha.

So unless I'm doing something horribly wrong, I have no idea what to do, haha.

hwalker84

I did read in 1 review there's no new game +. As I have only played this at PAX, did this not make sense in the context of the game?

Noogy, any help with
The Cliff
? I believe I am
standing on the highest point for 10 minutes now and no one shows up. I've been standing where those rocks fell down so the path is blocked (which is what I believe the highest peak in the game), and I've also stood still in the town for about 10 minutes and nothing happens.
It's the same thing all over again. 89%/91%. Some of these collectables are hidden very well, haha.

So unless I'm doing something horribly wrong, I have no idea what to do, haha.

Keep looking around. You'll know when you're in the right place.

Zomba13

Totally going to use some of the birthday money I got today on this game. Hopefully I get motivated enough to write a review on it for my site. I've really been slacking lately >.<

-GJ-

You have to be near the top, rather than at the top.

I still have no idea, haha. I'm just walking around here hoping this is the last thing to do to complete
Blackmoor Mountains
. I feel so dumb now, lol. Nothing stands out to me. Btw I saw you were number one on the Leaderboards. That's pretty cool!

edit: Got it thanks to toythatkills. Still not 100% on the map though :/.

edit: 100%. Fuck yeah!

zulux21

Damnit you people with your "having the game already."

yeah, about my thoughts lol...
oh well it will be ours soon enough just a few more days.
and hey we have gamescom tomorrow if i recall right so that should help make tomorrow go by faster.

Fjordson

No review yet, but in their latest weekly preview for what they're covering in the week ahead, Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bonb says Dust is excellent and easily the best Summer of Arcade game this year. He has it up on the title screen at his desk for the whole video :lol

Awesome, even if some miserable sod in the comments wasn't impressed :lol
Not that I care, but I would almost wonder why am I being called out when six of the winning entries were just tracings/edits of the original image, all of them probably created with illegal copies of Photoshop.

Man, screw you guys with this game already. I need this, but I don't want to get involved in numerous useless twitter spam contests and I don't like waiting!

Noogy

Not that I care, but I would almost wonder why am I being called out when six of the winning entries were just tracings/edits of the original image, all of them probably created with illegal copies of Photoshop.

Congrats :) Considering I started this game thinking I was going to make an 8-bit styled adventure, it's cool seeing a pixelated Ahrah.

TEJ

Who else is going to stay up all night on tuesday so they can play the game right away?

Of course, this doesn't apply to people who already have the gosh darned game.

Congrats :) Considering I started this game thinking I was going to make an 8-bit styled adventure, it's cool seeing a pixelated Ahrah.
Aw, I'm honored. The image on their mobile site was postage stamp sized with no way to enlarge it, which is why there are teeth on the left hand of the sword (the shading looked like a smaller version on the teeth on the top part at that size).

I'm download it now. GO GO INTERNET SPEED.

Top Bottom