• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dutch GAF |OT| We're just going our gang

7threst

No it doesn't. They are both pronounced the exact same way. There's no difference in pronouncation of 'eis' and 'ijs'. Long and Short are only a way to teach children who hear the exact same sound, to write it differently.

Hmm, I stand corrected. I really thought there was a difference in pronunciation, but internet says you are right. :)

Chuckie

Should just write it as Ÿ then imo. I'm also guessing this has something to do with the fact that Dirk Kuyt is spelled like Dirtk Kuijt in the Netherlands.

That is the exact reason Feijenoord changed its name into Feyenoord a long time ago,

ymmv

Banned
No it doesn't. They are both pronounced the exact same way. There's no difference in pronouncation of 'eis' and 'ijs'. Long and Short are only a way to teach children who hear the exact same sound, to write it differently.

There used to be a difference in pronunciation between eis and ijs, but nowadays it's only reflected in a different spelling. It's still present in a number of Dutch dialects though.

Aiii

So not worth it
Should just write it as Ÿ then imo. I'm also guessing this has something to do with the fact that Dirk Kuyt is spelled like Dirtk Kuijt in the Netherlands.

Anyway, is Ë a letter in Dutch (like Å, Ä and Ö are letters in Swedish) or is it just an "add-on" of E? I know it's common in country names like for example Albanië.

Yes, ë is a letter, it's used for pronounciation guidance most, like the word Ideën, which is spoken not as i-deen, but idee-en.

Same with é. As in één. However, no such symbols are used in capitals, for instance: één becomes Eén.

itsgreen

Is Geertje nog steeds een belangrijke politicus in jullie land?

I do get the feeling that people are getting tired of his schtick though... always the same simple little trick...

Although he probably get 20 seats in parliament... but he is bound to drop a few seats... fingers crossed ;)

Call me crazy but I do make a slight distinction between eis en ijs.
KuGsj.gif

And what the hell am I doing, I'm typing this all in English automatically.

Ik weet niet hoe ik het uit moet leggen, maar, ijs klinkt iets harder/scherper dan eis, welke iets zachter klinkt (eihs).

Kabouter

Is Geertje nog steeds een belangrijke politicus in jullie land?

Ja, nog steeds een zeer prominent politicus die een fors deel van het electoraat vertegenwoordigt, hij zal bij de aankomende verkiezingen waarschijnlijk rond de twintig zetels halen als de peilingen dit keer wél kloppen. Zitten ze weer mis zoals de vorige keren, dan eerder rond de vijfentwintig zetels.

Kloteweer

Banned
Call me crazy but I do make a slight distinction between eis en ijs.
KuGsj.gif

And what the hell am I doing, I'm typing this all in English automatically.

Ik weet niet hoe ik het uit moet leggen, maar, ijs klinkt iets harder/scherper dan eis, welke iets zachter klinkt (eihs).
Ja, heb ik ook. IJs spreek ik meer achter in de mond uit, en eis voor.

Chuckie

There used to be a difference in pronunciation between eis and ijs, but nowadays it's only reflected in a different spelling. It's still present in a number of Dutch dialects though.

While this is true this is not the reason it is called Long and Short. They are given different names (for children) because the pronouncation now is the same. If both spelling and pronouncation is different there is no need for an extra determinator.

msv

But why!!!

volgens http://welkepartijpastbijmij.nl/ ben ik een PvdA stemmer.. maar helaas kan ik niet stemmen omdat ik wil mijn kiwi paspoort vasthouden.
This is like saying 'i want my kiwi passport hold'. Instead you say:
...omdat ik mijn kiwi paspoort wil vasthouden.
Which would mean:
...because I want to hold my kiwi passport
If you want to make it more like 'hold on to' (it's already almost there, inbetween hold and hold on to):
...omdat ik aan mijn kiwi paspoort wil vasthouden

The problem lies more with vasthouden though, wouldn't be my preferred word in this sentence. I'd go for 'behouden' = 'keep' or 'preserve'
...omdat ik mijn kiwi paspoort wil behouden.

It implies more of a feeling of wanting to preserve or not wanting to lose than 'vasthouden', which is more often used for the 'hold on to' (in a literal sense, as in with your hands) or a certain rigidity (continue (hold on) according to the script for example). It's still correct usage though (vasthouden (aan))

omdat ik mijn kiwi paspoort vast wil houden.
This means that you literally want to hold your kiwi passport in your hands.

omdat ik wil mijn kiwi paspoort vasthouden.
This is as above (because I want my - doesn't make sense)
...omdat ik mijn kiwi paspoort wil vasthouden
Is correct, but behouden would be a better fit, I feel.

Ik hou vast aan mijn kiwi paspoort.
I'm holding on to my kiwi passport.
It sounds a tiny bit like you're hanging off a cliff holding on to your passport and proclaiming your intention to keep doing so. That's a huge exaggeration though, the sentence is not incorrect actually. I'm just blowing it up to maybe show where the 'off' feeling comes from. But it's still correct. You could use it. I'd still go for something like 'behouden' though, seems that tiny bit more associative.

Ik hou mijn kiwi paspoort vast.
This is more a literal 'I'm holding my kiwi passport' (in my hands)

RSP

Iedereen overigens deze uitermate accurate stemwijzer al geprobeerd?
http://speldwijzer.sysfix.eu/

Stelling 4 - Wat moeten we met de buitenlanders doen?

#1 - Outsourcen naar India

#2 - Het land uit, of anders dienen ze fatsoenlijk geschoold te worden om goede aansluiting met de arbeidsmarkt te behouden, al helemaal wanneer ze veel Nederlandse vriendjes hebben en een schattig accent, maar niet als ze een misdaad hebben begaan, dan moeten ze het land uit

#3 - Ja

LOL

soepje

You seem to forget that getting a job is beyond impossible once you reached a certain age. Trust me. I would know.

I am not talking about the CEO's sitting in their Trump tower with a minimal income of €300,000,- excluding bonuses. I am not talking about the political puppets who, when their political campaign is up, will get money from the government for 4 years without having an obligation to keep looking for jobs. I am not talking about said house owners with a swimming pool in their backyard.

I am talking about the people who have to work their asses off in construction, plumbing, teachers, daycare and more. Those are the people who are losing their jobs more and more, and it is a part of the job section where it is impossible to get a new one because the Dutch government refuses to pump money in that market to get the economy flowing.

I appologize for the really late response itt. But i actually have one of those 'work their asses off' jobs. And i´m not saying all, but a lot of people don´t really want to work for their money. The number of times people bluntly came over to get their little paper signed, just to show they went out for a sollicitation (so they can keep their government assistance) is incredible. People should be pushed to get to work, there is work out there, maybe not of the level one wishes, or the thing one desires. And it must suck to have studied at some uni, to end up working at AH, or to work via Randstad for a while, but it´s almost always possible to find something imho.

I don´t mind my taxes going to those who really need it, but right now it´s just insane imho.

Then again, i´m a farmers daughter, so i know how to work hard and get my hands dirty, it might be different for city people :p.

Chuckie

Naar mijn mening heb ik gelukkig geen accent :p

Dat dacht ik ook totdat ik mezelf op tape hoorde :p

Ok, die theorie gaat dus het raam uit. Ben al blij dat ik niet gek word, vooral als zelf het internet zegt dat er geen verschil tussen ei en ij is.

Dat verschil is er in het grootste gedeelte van Nederland ook niet. Het is psychlogisch man :p... je kijkt naar EI en IJ en gaat het dan uitspreken, met in je gedachte Kort en Lang... en dan klinkt het anders in je hoofd.. maar als je gewoon een casual gesprek hebt is er (bij de meeste mensen) geen enke verschil tussen eis en ijs.

7threst

I appologize for the really late response itt. But i actually have one of those 'work their asses off' jobs. And i´m not saying all, but a lot of people don´t really want to work for their money. The number of times people bluntly came over to get their little paper signed, just to show they went out for a sollicitation (so they can keep their government assistance) is incredible. People should be pushed to get to work, there is work out there, maybe not of the level one wishes, or the thing one desires. And it must suck to have studied at some uni, to end up working at AH, or to work via Randstad for a while, but it´s almost always possible to find something imho.

I don´t mind my taxes going to those who really need it, but right now it´s just insane imho.

Then again, i´m a farmers daughter, so i know how to work hard and get my hands dirty, it might be different for city people :p.

Yeah, well, if it really was that easy the system would've been crashed and burned by now. You really are 100% exposed in order to receive next to nothing, and that really, REALLY sucks. It's like you are running naked through a crowded street. I should know, I'm on welfare at the moment. Yes, "there are jobs" but I didn't work so hard to finally get two master's degrees at university to have them erased from my CV in order to get a job without hearing I'm overquallified, a job I don't even want. Fuck that shit, I'm not gonna do that. Sure, gimme those jobs. I want to work, no matter how shitty a job. But I am not gonna lie about my education, about all the hard work I poured into getting where I am today just to get a job like that.

gamma

DutchGAF, I love the fritsauce your McDonalds has. I used to buy 10-20 of them and bring them back with me. Here in Germany we only have regular mayonaise.

gamma

Just buy American Fritessaus in a supermarket.

american-fritessaus.jpg

Haha, yes, this is one that I found here in Germany too that comes closest to the McDonalds one.

27.jpg

It's better than mayo, but still not as good as the McDonalds one. Is the American one better?

CrunchyB

Finally, a real DutchGAF thread!

But it's missing the best Dutch dish of all, Babi Panggang!

In het plat (midden gelderland) wordt de "ij" uitgesproken als "ie", ijzer is iezer, etc. De "ei" wordt meer een "ai" klank naarmate je dichter bij Duitsland komt.

En zo zijn er nog wel meer vreemde uitspraken en woorden. Je doet bijvoorbeeld een raam los en niet open :)

Aiii

So not worth it
Haha, yes, this is one that I found here in Germany too that comes closest to the McDonalds one.

27.jpg

It's better than mayo, but still not as good as the McDonalds one. Is the American one better?

Nono, that's just dutch mayo (less sour then thegerman kind). The one I posted is the yellow-greenish McD's one.

itsgreen

27.jpg

Because that one is near identical to the fritsauce we have at McDonalds here ;)

soepje

Yeah, well, if it really was that easy the system would've been crashed and burned by now. You really are 100% exposed in order to receive next to nothing, and that really, REALLY sucks. It's like you are running naked through a crowded street. I should know, I'm on welfare at the moment. Yes, "there are jobs" but I didn't work so hard to finally get two master's degrees at university to have them erased from my CV in order to get a job without hearing I'm overquallified, a job I don't even want. Fuck that shit, I'm not gonna do that. Sure, gimme those jobs. I want to work, no matter how shitty a job. But I am not gonna lie about my education, about all the hard work I poured into getting where I am today just to get a job like that.
I understand where you are comming from, but why would they be erased from your cv if you get a low level temp. job, while searching for the perfect job? All tax payers paid for your studies, why not give some back instead of going on welfare?

En zo zijn er nog wel meer vreemde uitspraken en woorden. Je doet bijvoorbeeld een raam los en niet open :)
HAHAHA! Het is grappig dat je daarmee komt want tijdens mijn vakantie was er een grote groep uit de achterhoek en ik heb me echt daar over verbaasd.

"Ik krijg de koffer niet meer los!"

Slaat helemaal nergens op. De redenatie was dan ook dat een deur los staat omdat je hem nu vrij kan bewegen.

eXistor

You know what pisses me off? The fact that seemingly no one in the US or anywhere outside of select European countries seems to like liquorice. It's probably my all-time favorite candy and in the US they act like someone just took a shit in their mouth.

RSP

Ok. Als we 't er dan toch over gaan hebben ...

Sate of Pindasaus
Friet of Patat
Frikadel of Frikandel

Het is aan.

Top Bottom