• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DVD Tuesday (1/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospero

Complete list

This is the only new mainstream film this week:

B00064LJVE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

But there's lots of other good stuff.

Luc Besson reissues:

B0006GVJE4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0006GVJEE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Two new Criterions:

B0006HC0F0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0006HC0FU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is a new edition at a lower price (MSRP $60, Amazon has it for $45):

B00067Z2X2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm confused about this disc--the DVD release history for this show seems mangled all to hell, with episodes from season 3 in something that was previously called "volume 1", but apparently now isn't (?). If anyone can sort this out for me, that'd be appreciated.

B0006IIPQ2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Zimzallabim:

B0006FO8IY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Gayming-Age DVD of the week:

B0006GVJEY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Joke DVD of the week:

B000228SIM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just curious, but why exactly are Pixar & Disney DVD's so overpriced relative to everything else? They never seem to be on offer, or reduce in price over time.

FnordChan

Hey, kids! Champloo!

B000641Z72.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Also available with the inevitable box:

B000641Z7C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Meanwhile, I'm sorely tempted by the Lain box; I've been meaning to pick up Lain for ages, but just kept putting it off. Speaking of anime box sets, here's a crucial purchase:

B00067Z2XW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Middle-aged salaryman metal gods! Space babes! THE ZAPPA~! You will understand - now go and watch!

Finally, I'm thrilled to see more Seijun Sezuki flicks being released by Criterion. However, I'm going to be spending too much cash on Japanese cartoons this week to afford Japanese live-action, so these will likely wind up as rentals. Thank god I've got a really good video store around the corner from me.

FnordChan

Edit: Whoops, forgot to mention:

B00064AME4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I have yet to see a single episode of this show, but I'm told that it's quite good espionage television, if a bit more slick and high tech than, say, The Sandbaggers or the George Smiley minis. Reckon I'll have to break down and go pick up volume one before too long.

And, I completely looked over the anime DVD release of the week:

B000641Z4K.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Oh, hell yeah.

Meier

Damn I just spent a bunch on DVDs the other day.. but I think I might have to get Paranoia Agent 2, the Champloo dvd + box and both of those Luc Besson titles since I love em but have neither on DVD yet. Sheeeet.

KingGondo

Banned
Hmmm... looks like the new Leon is pretty close to the original, although the DTS track might make me bite...damn you Luc Besson! If the video quality is also improved, this is definitely worthy of purchase.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Man the Village ended up making 114 mil just in the US alone.... I can't believe it... While I enjoyed the movie the payoff(ending) was HORRID IMO.... *gack*.

DarienA said:
Man the Village ended up making 114 mil just in the US alone.... I can't believe it... While I enjoyed the movie the payoff(ending) was HORRID IMO.... *gack*.

True, the ending was kind of lame. I guessed it in the first 15 mins of the movie. I was pretty disappointed when I found out I was right. :\ However, I believe that there are clues placed early on in the movie, where it seemed like M. Night wanted to ease you in to the ending. Sort of let you know before hand. I love the atmosphere in it. The acting by Howard was great. Excellent score. I will be picking up the DVD tomorrow.

Also, Leon and The Fifth Element if they stock them at Sam's Club.

keiichi

it probably doesn't matter now, but a few targets in my area have broken street date for the new version of Ghost in the Shell

I'll probably rent the Village since i haven't seen it. Fifth Element i'l have to take a look at, depends how much BB/CC/Target is selling it for i guess. that Ken Burns doc on Jack Johnson has my interest though. Hope Blockbuster carries it so that at leat i can rent it.

oh, and of course you can't forget:
B000667GIW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'll be getting the Fifth Element and Leon.

I have loved all the M.Night movies except Village :(

KingGondo said:
Hmmm... looks like the new Leon is pretty close to the original, although the DTS track might make me bite...damn you Luc Besson! If the video quality is also improved, this is definitely worthy of purchase.

I'm pretty sure it's just the superbit with a second extras disc.

Solid

Matrix said:
I have loved all the M.Night movies except Village :(
Same here except I like all his films except Unbreakable... still, I bought it! You gotta give the maestro some love :)

Dead

well not really...yet
Fifth Element
Leon
Village

and

CHAMPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo

and $140 on the Gundam Zeta box set today :(

FnordChan

DeadStar said:
and $140 on the Gundam Zeta box set today :(

Ah, but that's $140 well spent on giant robot ass-kicking and war-is-hell pathos! Okay, so Bandai fucked up the whole opening/ending song thing, but otherwise it's a terrific set.

FnordChan: two discs down, eight discs to go

Dead

well not really...yet
FnordChan said:
Ah, but that's $140 well spent on giant robot ass-kicking and war-is-hell pathos! Okay, so Bandai fucked up the whole opening/ending song thing, but otherwise it's a terrific set.

FnordChan: two discs down, eight discs to go
What pisses me off is that they never said anything prior to release. Anyway just got the set, and omgz all the little gundams!!

Shinobi

Leon the Professional is the international version. Apparantely when "Leon" is in the name, that means it's the international version.

Ninja Scooter said:
oh, and of course you can't forget:
B000667GIW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:lol :lol :lol Another one?!? Talk about the series that'll never end...

FnordChan

DeadStar said:
What pisses me off is that they never said anything prior to release. Anyway just got the set, and omgz all the little gundams!!

Yeah, that was exceptionally obnoxious of them. If Bandai had just said, "Hey, sorry but we couldn't get the rights to the OP/ED themes" sometime before the release date, ah well, no big deal. Not bothering to inform folks of this minor detail? Hey, fuck you Bandai.

That said, the Gundam pencil sharpeners were a neat bonus - they're now doing battle all over the television. I'd still rather have the original OP/ED themes.

Believe In The Sign Of FnordChan

FnordChan said:
Yeah, that was exceptionally obnoxious of them. If Bandai had just said, "Hey, sorry but we couldn't get the rights to the OP/ED themes" sometime before the release date, ah well, no big deal. Not bothering to inform folks of this minor detail? Hey, fuck you Bandai.

That said, the Gundam pencil sharpeners were a neat bonus - they're now doing battle all over the television. I'd still rather have the original OP/ED themes.

Believe In The Sign Of FnordChan

The translation wasn't accurate either, but honestly, I'm just happy we finally got Zeta Gundam in R1.

Also, Paranoia Agent vol. 2 comes out 1/18.

FnordChan

distantmantra said:
The translation wasn't accurate either, but honestly, I'm just happy we finally got Zeta Gundam in R1.

Really? Well, shit. I'm still enjoying the series, so I'll just stick with the ignorance/bliss route.

Also, Paranoia Agent vol. 2 comes out 1/18.

I blame DVD Verdict for misleading me.

FnordChan

FnordChan

Prospero

Much as I wanted to spend lots this week, I picked up only the Jack Johnson documentary. 220 minutes over two discs, with an original score by Wynton Marsalis in 5.1. Excellent.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
FnordChan said:
The folks at AnimeOnDVD are referring to the disc as the first of seven and confirm that at least the first disc has four episodes on it. As for deals, the disc alone can be had for $20 and the box set is going for around $28.

FnordChan
If you get the stand-alone copy of Champloo at Best Buy, it comes with the soundtrack (which seems to be the same as the Departure Champloo soundtrack in Japan).

Anyway, I'm just checking out the dub right now. Fuu is spot on perfect, Mugen doesn't sound nearly crazy enough, and I'm not really sure what I think of Jin's voice so far. The translation is good, though. All the lines so far have been exactly or almost exactly as I remember them...just in English. :)

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
MetatronM said:
If you get the stand-alone copy of Champloo at Best Buy, it comes with the soundtrack (which seems to be the same as the Departure Champloo soundtrack in Japan).
I was pretty upset the box edition didn't come with this :(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
sefskillz said:
I was pretty upset the box edition didn't come with this :(
Yeah...I don't mind though, since I got the soundtrack when I was over in Japan anyway. :D

Oh, and Jin's voice is fine. I'm not thrilled about Mugen's voice, but otherwise the dub is quite good.

bjork

In addition to Paranoia Agent, we also got some kind of Rumiko Takahashi series... "Anthology", but it just looks to be a collection of short films or something, I dunno.

And some other stuff... Wandaba Style, Hanauko Maid Team, Star Ocean EX, etc...

But yeah. PA is mine. :)

MetatronM said:

Anyway, I'm just checking out the dub right now. Fuu is spot on perfect, Mugen doesn't sound nearly crazy enough, and I'm not really sure what I think of Jin's voice so far. The translation is good, though. All the lines so far have been exactly or almost exactly as I remember them...just in English. :)

I had very little interest in this title until you said that about the soundtrack. Damn you Geneon and your frivolous bonus crap, you just made a sale if I can find this at Best Buy.

Deepthroat said:
+1 sale for The Village :D

I hope you've already seen this movie. If you haven't, you'll probably be terribly disappointed. I suggest a rental.

I'm pretty sick of M. Night Shakalaka films. They're all devoid of substance, save for long buildups to "twist" endings. When the only redeeming thing about the guys style of filmmaking are the twist endings, and the endings don't even suprise you... well, there's really no point, is there?

I guess Unbreakable was good. That was the only movie of his I've seen that wasn't entirely built upon the ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom