• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2 last patch adds Balance Mode on XSX but not on ps5?

They added a balanced mode, which according to people on GAF seems to run in a higher resolution, added a 60 FPS mode to Series S despite earlier claiming the GPU was holding it back and improved the shadows.
Amazing! And after all that nonsense about the XSS GPU too! I knew it was ridiculous that they couldn't get better performance from the XSS than X1. Clearly they just didn't take the time. Glad to see them putting in more effort.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i think balance mode in dying light 2 is dyging light 1 60fps target 1440p mode.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i think balance mode in dying light 2 is dyging light 1 60fps target 1440p mode.

Yep. IQ is definitely better than Performance mode, seems to run a decent 60 FPS still.

It's this games version of the same mode.

DL1 got it first on PS5, DL2 got it first on SX. Either will get the other option in the next patch probably.

Corndog

Banned
I think we all know that it's best to jump the gun and decide that xbox is just the far superior console and that the ps5 can't handle the balanced mode. Let's then argue about it for ten pages until the ps5 patch comes out and we look like idiots....but just don't ever admit you were wrong.
Who is saying that?

Who is saying that?
This happens here frequently, especially if the Xbox version of a game has a performance issue. It almost without exception is blamed on the Xbox hardware and not the actual game.

This is a classic example where people piled on th XSS' performance in this title which originally wasn't much better than last generations games. Hopefully this will again show that a games' performance comes down to developer efforts and optimization not hardware deficiencies.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This happens here frequently, especially if the Xbox version of a game has a performance issue. It almost without exception is blamed on the Xbox hardware and not the actual game.

This is a classic example where people piled on th XSS' performance in this title which originally wasn't much better than last generations games. Hopefully this will again show that a games' performance comes down to developer efforts and optimization not hardware deficiencies.

This

so

fucking

much....

Everyones too fast to jump on some narrative that the xbox version is suffering when in reality every game coming out just needs some patches. You can understand why developers prioritise playstation at launch....it was the biggest platform last gen and the PS5 buzz coming out this gen was huge. Surprisingly, Xbox is doing amazingly well with the series S and X and hopefully data is showing developers that they need to prioritise them too.

The issue is every game is so hot when it launches that its almost stupid to do a comparison anywhere near launch. I hope digital foundry etc start making a conscious effort to revisit games after each major patch.

dj khaled GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop
dj khaled miami GIF by NOISEY
Celebrate Dj Khaled GIF

adamsapple

Series S needs another pass or two, the average frame rate is very good (58 FPS) but the frame times are all over the place.

VRR can help with frame rate but probably not to effective against the wild frame time spikes.

Also it drops a bunch of visual features to reach the 60 FPS target.

Last edited:

Bojji

Series S needs another pass or two, the average frame rate is very good (58 FPS) but the frame times are all over the place.

VRR can help with frame rate but probably not to effective against the wild frame time spikes.

It's good to have options, devs should always give XSS 60fps modes even with ~720p resolution.

Seriously. I wonder if it's just an inherent hardware issue with the chip as opposed to it just being a current software limitation.

X1X from 2017 supports it so I see no reason why PS5 would not.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned

Give an example in this thread from before you complained.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

yeah, needs a bit of work but not bad to start.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Who is saying that?

No one, this guy 😅
nah, I was trying to make a joke about how we jump on comparisons and nitpick every slight difference or bug and then a patch happens and we look a little silly later on but never admit it and just move on to the next one.

It was obviously a shit joke and I didnt pull it off. I'll show myself out :D haha

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
It's good to have options, devs should always give XSS 60fps modes even with ~720p resolution.

X1X from 2017 supports it so I see no reason why PS5 would not.
Jeesh. 900p is not even that terrible resolution all considered (though I can't even stomach 1080p on my ps5 in this game) but 9800 of torns of tearing is massive. People without VRR are fucked, I don't know what joy can have with this mode added honestly.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Jeesh. 900p is not even that terrible resolution all considered (though I can't even stomach 1080p on my ps5 in this game) but 9800 of torns of tearing is massive. People without VRR are fucked.
Yeah the drop in res isn't bad since it was only 1080p anyway.
The tearing and the AF though? Yuck. Series X should fare better.

assurdum

Banned
Yeah the drop in res isn't bad since it was only 1080p anyway.
The tearing and the AF though? Yuck. Series X should fare better.
I'm a bit surprised to 900p in a 4 TF hardware to be honest considered 1080p in a 12 TF one. Yeah FPS performance aren't exactly like per like, but isn't it scaled linearly how someone could expected. I really don't understand how work this engine.

Last edited:
nah, I was trying to make a joke about how we jump on comparisons and nitpick every slight difference or bug and then a patch happens and we look a little silly later on but never admit it and just move on to the next one.

It was obviously a shit joke and I didnt pull it off. I'll show myself out :D haha

For a moment there I thought you were serious.

LOL

adamsapple

I'm a bit surprised to 900p in a 4 TF hardware to be honest considered 1080p in a 12 TF one. Yeah FPS performance aren't exactly like per like, but isn't it scaled linearly how someone could expected. I really don't understand how work this engine.

To be fair, it's 1440p~ on 12TF now, not 1080p anymore :p

adamsapple

To be fair we don't know yet what resolution is it. And I doubt it runs without important compromise if resolution is really increased.

NXGamer was supposed to put out his video today but I guess he missed it.

Series S has clear visual compromises to reach the target, but based on the SX comparisons I've seen so far, I only noticed an increase in clarity/resolution and no visual downgrade, I always felt they were leaving a good amount of headroom by locking the game down to 1080p, which was proven when the VRR unlocked mode came out and was able to run the game at 90~100 FPS at 1080p.

I will be legit surprised if there are any big notable feature cut-backs in this 1440p mode.

assurdum

Banned
NXGamer was supposed to put out his video today but I guess he missed it.

Series S has clear visual compromises to reach the target, but based on the SX comparisons I've seen so far, I only noticed an increase in clarity/resolution and no visual downgrade, I always felt they were leaving a good amount of headroom by locking the game down to 1080p, which was proven when the VRR unlocked mode came out and was able to run the game at 90~100 FPS at 1080p.

I will be legit surprised if there are any big notable feature cut-backs in this 1440p mode.
If it was 1440p mode probably they would have claimed it clearly with quad resolution setting as they did for the balanced mode on Dying Light 1 on ps5; but let's take your 1440p presumption valid, how it can be surprising for you with important cutbacks in other graphic stuff? Surprising would be the exact contrary

Last edited:

adamsapple

If it was 1440p mode probably they would have claimed it clearly with quad resolution setting as they did for the balanced mode on Dying Light 1 on ps5; but let's take your 1440p presumption valid, how they can reach it without important cutbacks in other graphic stuff?

Well, it's probably DRS 1440p, not static.

And like I said, the game is running 90~100 FPS at 1080p, this shows there's enough headroom left to push the resolution higher and aim for a 60. There may be some drops from it, or the DRS might be aggressive enough to mask the drops.

But I can easily see it reaching DRS 1440p at 60 FPS.

In fact, the patch notes have multiple mentions of improved shadows in various conditions, so it may very well look better than launch window.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Well, it's probably DRS 1440p, not static.

And like I said, the game is running 90~100 FPS at 1080p, this shows there's enough headroom left to push the resolution higher and aim for a 60. There may be some drops from it, or the DRS might be aggressive enough to mask the drops.

But I can easily see it reaching DRS 1440p at 60 FPS.

In fact, the patch notes have multiple mentions of improved shadows in various conditions, so it may very well look better than launch window.
Listen, I noticed improvement in the FPS on ps5 with the last patch but not miraculous. Game can still drops vsync in very taxing scenes. XSX was just slightly better of the ps5 before the patch. The only smart thing they can have done it's use the performance mode of the XSS and increase the resolution. My wild guess eh and probably the graphic setting are below to the performance mode with fps performance worse in comparison, where VRR helps to solve. Maybe the more CUs helped to increase the others graphic setting but I suspect they used the XSS performance mode to achieve that balanced mode on XSX.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Just so there's no confusion, I'm not tooting the SX's horn here lol, I fully expect the PS5 to get a similar DRS 1440p mode when it gets the balanced mode patch. It's just that SX just happened to get this update with this mode first.

assurdum

Banned
Great doubt about it. Not until VRR will be released on ps5. This game in extremely taxing scenes still struggle to keep vsync on 1080p at 60 fps on console. Seems totally unrealistic expects a balanced mode at higher resolution that will run smoothly without VRR. Happy to be wrong.

Last edited:

Bojji

Great doubt about it. Not until VRR will be released on ps5. This game in extremely taxing scenes still struggle to keep vsync on 1080p at 60 fps on console. Seems totally unrealistic expects a balanced mode at higher resolution that will run smoothly without VRR. Happy to be wrong.

If they have working DRS it should be able to run just like performance mode now, dropping to 1080p in most taxing scenes.

assurdum

Banned
If they have working DRS it should be able to run just like performance mode now, dropping to 1080p in most taxing scenes.
This engine not uses DRS unfortunately. Considered it was absent at launch something suggest to me is not feasible with such engine and I wouldn't count on it even in the future. But we can still hope.

Corndog

Banned
Listen, I noticed improvement in the FPS on ps5 with the last patch but not miraculous. Game can still drops vsync in very taxing scenes. XSX was just slightly better of the ps5 before the patch. The only smart thing they can have done it's use the performance mode of the XSS and increase the resolution. My wild guess eh and probably the graphic setting are below to the performance mode with fps performance worse in comparison, where VRR helps to solve. Maybe the more CUs helped to increase the others graphic setting but I suspect they used the XSS performance mode to achieve that balanced mode on XSX.
What are you basing this on? Do you own the game on either console?
Edit: I see you mention ps5. Hard to compare to series x if you don’t own it on that console right?

Last edited:
Give an example in this thread from before you complained.
The forum is bigger than a single thread. If you checked the original thread about DL2 you'd find numerous examples of people blaming the XSS' hardware and not the developers simply not putting in the effort. The idea of a cross generational game running no better on the XSS vs. last generation consoles should have been a dead giveaway yet people here pointed to the XSS as the problem. It's pretty silly.

assurdum

Banned
What are you basing this on? Do you own the game on either console?
Edit: I see you mention ps5. Hard to compare to series x if you don’t own it on that console right?
Wait a minute we should make our judgment in the multiplat owning both personally?lol There are YouTube channel which cover it with ton of statistics data and they are surely more valid than own both console and make personal impressions. I'm basing on them . And go to look vgtech channel about balanced mode on XSX; it's happened exactly what I expected, they increase a bit the resolution at the cost of performance and hide it with VRR.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The forum is bigger than a single thread. If you checked the original thread about DL2 you'd find numerous examples of people blaming the XSS' hardware and not the developers simply not putting in the effort. The idea of a cross generational game running no better on the XSS vs. last generation consoles should have been a dead giveaway yet people here pointed to the XSS as the problem. It's pretty silly.
They reduced the settings and resolution to do it.

Top Bottom