• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 9 Character Reveals (Ongoing)

Saw online someone mentioning it might be an Urumi.

post-23015-1204278646.jpg

That looks about right.

DxD

Banned
What did they do to Sun Shangxiang?
She looks kinda weird.

I am not feeling Lu Lingqi's design too.
She looks like a Mongolian tribe member in that outfit.
And shield/sword....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
The worse weapon setup.

hydruxo

6 actually dropped a lot of characters from 5, but 7 and 8 (plus expansions) added a metric ton.

It seems to be some kind of ribbon blade

junyu_action2.jpg

Oh huh. I kind of figured it had to be some kind of extended blade but I couldn't figure out how it'd work from that first pic. That makes more sense seeing that screen.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
What did they do to Sun Shangxiang?
She looks kinda weird.

I am not feeling Lu Lingqi's design too.
She looks like a Mongolian tribe member in that outfit.
And shield/sword....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
The worse weapon setup.

Hopefully the sword and shield is revamped in DW9. Wasn't a very fun moveset outside of Xingcai's surfing EX attack.

Anyway, here are some new screenshots. Early build of course. You can see how Guan Yu's clothing textures are amazing, while Liu Bei and Zhang Fei's are muddy. Plenty of work yet to be done, I'd imagine.

karnage10

Banned
The characters outfit remembers me DW4. I really like the designs that they have shown so far.
I have been away from koei for a while (thanks to CA and paradox eating all my game time) but has it been announced that DW9 will be released on PC/steam?
I hope they keep the local co-op it is one of the main reasons i buy the games and the latest koei warriors game haven't had local co-op.

Yawnier

Banned
The characters outfit remembers me DW4. I really like the designs that they have shown so far.

I was thinking the same thing lol. Xiahou Dun, Sun Jian, Sun Quan, Liu Xun's designs all give me DW4 vibes.

Anyways most of the designs are looking sharp and I can get on board with the new characters announced. Hope that the speculation that Yuan Shu will also be a new character is true.

Creaking

I glad that they are doing the aging stuff in DW9. I like the feature in Sanada.

Unfortunately, I've read that the aging is restricted to simply Liu Bei getting a beard and Xiahou Dun losing an eye. I'd love to be proven wrong.

At the very least, the younger characters aren't looking quite so inordinately young. Some of them in DW7 and 8 looked like they could be in their early teens.

Yawnier

Banned
Man Chong and Cheng Pu are good adds but fuck Zhou Cang i mean the guy didn't even exist

I've been hoping that they would add a few more later Shu characters for a while now but doubt it will happen in this iteration of DW. There are a few interesting characters they could add like Wang Ping, Zhang Ni or one of the regents that succeeded Zhuge Liang.

Sesha

I dig the designs of almost all the returning characters.

Cheng Pu is my favorite newcomer so far.

The weapons for the newcomers seem very restrained for the moment lol.

Some of those shots look like pretty good cutscenes... Looks like Dong Zhuo in the Luoyang palace... Or the brothers' Oath of the Peach Garden. The three of them look surprisingly sociable with Lu Bu though hhhh.

Creaking

Curious why they changed Lingqi's main weapon. Loved using her because her moveset was godlike.

I'm thinking it's because the gimmick of throwing it out and moving the stick to change its return pattern didn't mesh well/easily with the overhauled combat system.

Giolon

I'm glad they brought Lu Lingqi back, it I'm not overly diviner her new look and weapon.

Can't win 'me all I guess. Now to wait on Lian Shi.

Xiaohou Dun looking like a boss as always though

Creaking

That reminds me, Wei is now the home of mixed up names. They've got Yue Jin, Yu Jin, Xun Yu, and Xun You, all playable.

Waiting on more Jin shit. Never really paid too much attention to them until they were introduced in the game. They were pretty creative for Jin imo. Sima Zhao slides on his blade, Wang Bae Yuanji throws knives super fast, Deng Ai has his crazy Gurren Lagann Drill, Zhong Hui with his floating swords, etc.

Still waiting on my boy Sun Ce though, lol.

Unrelated, but did they mention if duels would be returning? I quite liked the duel system they had before. It was pretty cool to see you encounter another officer or playable character, and the crowd just surrounds you. That was pretty cool.

Found four more characters. They aren't on the official site yet, so no descriptions and they might not be quite of the same image quality, but they're close.

The curious weapon reassignments continue.

What does Zhang He have there? Fans? Knives?

I'll miss Ma Dai's brush. I guess that feathery thing on his axe kinda looks like one, though.

Man...these weapon changes are kind of shell-shocking. It really looks like KT is trying to edge away from the more ridiculous weapons from DW history. No brush for Ma Dai? NO CLAWS FOR ZHANG HE?!?!

With such a large roster, it'll be impossible to not have characters using the same weapon. I hope we get good variety in character movesets, because if we get another DW3-5 situation, then that will be really disappointing.

cyress8

Banned
Is it weird that ever DW game, I never really play anyone from the Wu side. I know I will do it with this game.

All those characters that are only fodder. Such a shame.

TreIII

Man...these weapon changes are kind of shell-shocking. It really looks like KT is trying to edge away from the more ridiculous weapons from DW history. No brush for Ma Dai? NO CLAWS FOR ZHANG HE?!?!

With such a large roster, it'll be impossible to not have characters using the same weapon. I hope we get good variety in character movesets, because if we get another DW3-5 situation, then that will be really disappointing.

I've been pretty much preparing myself for the likelihood of clones since they were talking about changing to "a new battle system". Even so...I never thought I'd see the day where would strip Zhang He of his claws (again). Haven't they learned from last time they tried to do that in DW6?!

The whole Balrog/Vega/Claw (Street Fighter) homage is lost, now!

Creaking

At least the knives are more suitable than the spear he had in DW6. He can still dance and throw knives, I figure.

Great thread! Characters look amazing so far. Would love if you could add each character's first game appearance to the thread as well. I haven't played the last couple entries so it would be kinda cool to know.

mao2

Am I the only person who thinks that Zhao Yun looks ugly now? What happened to his pretty boy face? D:

Evilisk

As cool as the paintbrush moveset was, I was expecting it might disappear due to the less fantastical angle.

I'm curious to see what Pang De and Zhang Liao are using now (assuming we're not getting any clones)

Not liking Zhang He getting the throwing knives though. They were my least favorite weapons to use in 7 and 8. Also Zhang He's claws were super fun to use in 8. You could stay in the air forever by jump cancelling out of his air charge move. You could safely build up and then use air musous or you could just travel around the whole map like that. I'm sad to see that go tbh

I never minded Zhang He didn't seem all that outlandish by DW standards hehe.

But as a big fan of Ma Teng, Ma Chao, etc...

Damn did I hate Ma Dai's brush -_-

Zhang He without claws is heresy.

It's some bullshit.

What did they do to Zhang He? :/

Lol. High key, his latest moveset was baller as fuck. I'm curious with the change because the bae, Wang Yuanji, will have a new weapon now. Ma Dai getting Pang De's weapon..... Hm.... Interesting decision.

Also, each character will still have their secondary weapon so all hope is not lost! Zhang He is still majestic as fuck though.

Lol. High key, his latest moveset was baller as fuck. I'm curious with the change because the bae, Wang Yuanji, will have a new weapon now. Ma Dai getting Pang De's weapon..... Hm.... Interesting decision.

Also, each character will still have their secondary weapon so all hope is not lost! Zhang He is still majestic as fuck though.
Cannot be topped.

Creaking

As cool as the paintbrush moveset was, I was expecting it might disappear due to the less fantastical angle.

I'm curious to see what Pang De and Zhang Liao are using now (assuming we're not getting any clones)

Weapon type clones are confirmed, at least in the case of the Qiaos if no one else. Whether they share actual moves/attack strings is another question.

It is curious that they've shied away from showing the original owners of the reassigned weapons thus far.

Ma Dai is actually getting Zhang Liao's weapon. Pang De has had Xiahou Dun's DW 6 weapon since his reintroduction in 7XL. His twin picks in 5 were a little different than Zhang Liao's twin axes. I miss them though. I'd love to see them come back, but I have a feeling he'll be keeping Dun's lousy old club.

Top Bottom